BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 8 Mistakes That Killed Kylie's US Career., From 1988 To 2018 . Re-vamped Topic.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post 21st August 2012, 12:10 PM
Post #61
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

QUOTE(Aphrodite @ Aug 21 2012, 01:22 AM) *
Get outta my way was mistake full stop, having it as the lead promoted single in america was just a bigger mistake. At the time i always thought get outta my way was hugely over rated by fans and couldnt understand the fuss and i was so disappointed when it was picked as the 2nd UK single as i truly believe it killed aphrodite. There were far better choices on the album that i feel would have sold the album further. In stark contrast all the lovers was a fantastic lead single, sold pretty well and had a decent chart run and got the album off to a great start, for me all the lovers will always be among my fave kylie singles ever as i still adore it to this day.

I love Get Outta My Way, I don't see why it's so bad really! As a lead single in America, though, just doesn't sound good. All The Lovers works much better as a lead single, I think.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
pippa
post 21st August 2012, 01:40 PM
Post #62
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

Get Outta my Way was an extremely lazy attempt at trying to create another Love at First Sight and it did not work out well in my opinion.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 21st August 2012, 07:10 PM
Post #63
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

'Get Outta My Way' is still the shining diamond of the Aphrodite era for me. wub.gif

To be honest, I think she's now at that stage where no post album singles will do that well for her and I highly doubt anything else would've gone top 10.

+Quote this post
Neil
post 22nd August 2012, 10:23 AM
Post #64
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 9,016

QUOTE(Silver Rocket @ Aug 21 2012, 08:10 PM) *
'Get Outta My Way' is still the shining diamond of the Aphrodite era for me. wub.gif

Same. By far the best track and one of my all time favourite Kylie songs wub.gif

QUOTE(Big Mistake @ Aug 20 2012, 01:57 PM) *
-Not promoting 'TimeBomb' in the US Despite it being her biggest download success in the US ever

Disagree. Her fanbase bought it and then it dropped out the charts. Doesn't really mean anything.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 22nd August 2012, 11:52 AM
Post #65
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

If get outta my way is the shining light of the aphrodite era i now fully understand why the album did not sell in huge numbers.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 22nd August 2012, 04:30 PM
Post #66
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

I wonder how high her worldwide sales would be had Kylie always been successful in the US, just shy of 100 million perhaps?

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 22nd August 2012, 07:38 PM
Post #67
Group icon
Break the tension

QUOTE(pippa @ Aug 22 2012, 12:52 PM) *
If get outta my way is the shining light of the aphrodite era i now fully understand why the album did not sell in huge numbers.

I think it did really quite respectably for an album with only one real hit on it.

The album was a solid album with about 3, maybe 4 at a push solid single choices (shame the title track didn't get released sad.gif), whereas X had lots of solid singles (shame 'Like A Drug' wasn't released, too) but as an album wasn't the strongest...

+Quote this post
pippa
post 23rd August 2012, 08:47 AM
Post #68
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Aphrodite did achieve respectable status, but it is my belief it could and should have sold more. All the Lovers got the album off to a magnificent start, and then everything just seemed to have stopped. Get outta my way got promoted but it didnt reflect on its sales the way it should have or did the album sell any greater. Better than today performance on the X Factor helped the album rebound back into the top 40. Aphrodite or Cupid Boy should have been the second single.

X did have a wider choice of singles, there were many brilliant songs that would have made blinding singles, but once again some wrong choices were made. Like a Drug and The One were 2 songs that not alone screamed singles but loudly shouted singles but it all fell by the way side. It is again my belief if these 2 songs were released properly as singles X would have gone double platnum with ease.

X and Aphrodite are very solid albums and offered some fantastic songs. The promotional train and choices made around both could be questioned but both albums should have and i add deserved to have sold many many more copies than they achieved.

+Quote this post
Dark Horse
post 13th September 2012, 12:22 PM
Post #69
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,457

QUOTE(Neil @ Aug 22 2012, 01:23 PM) *
Disagree. Her fanbase bought it and then it dropped out the charts. Doesn't really mean anything.

ys but it was Kylie's first US download hit and she should have capitalized on that instead of NOT promoting....

+Quote this post
Dark Horse
post 13th September 2012, 12:23 PM
Post #70
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(pippa @ Aug 23 2012, 11:47 AM) *
Aphrodite or Cupid Boy should have been the second single.
Like a Drug and The One were 2 songs that not alone screamed singles but loudly shouted singles but it all fell by the way side.

X and Aphrodite are very solid albums and offered some fantastic songs. The promotional train and choices made around both could be questioned but both albums should have and i add deserved to have sold many many more copies than they achieved.

totally agree.... wrong choice of singles totally killed her last 2 albums....
let me add 'Illusion' and 'Can't beat the feeling' from Aphrodite and 'Sensitized' and 'Speakerphone' from X.

+Quote this post
Dark Horse
post 28th January 2018, 12:17 PM
Post #71
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Not promoting Dancing in the US is also to be added to her huge mistakes...
It has had good reviews over there, it has entered the itunes top 50 without promo, maybe she should focus on the US this time around and not waste her time on places where she already achieved a lot...

+Quote this post
Regina
post 28th January 2018, 12:38 PM
Post #72
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

It's been out for a week. Jesus. Calm down.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 28th January 2018, 04:28 PM
Post #73
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Yeah she hadn't even promoted properly in the UK yet! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 29th January 2018, 02:32 AM
Post #74
Group icon
Break the tension

QUOTE(Big Mistake @ Sep 13 2012, 12:23 PM) *
totally agree.... wrong choice of singles totally killed her last 2 albums....
let me add 'Illusion' and 'Can't beat the feeling' from Aphrodite and 'Sensitized' and 'Speakerphone' from X.

I know this is 5 years ago, but none of those four songs are even remotely single material.

+Quote this post
Monzo
post 29th January 2018, 09:07 AM
Post #75
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 349

Her problem in the US is that she's not everybody's darling like in the UK and Australia. They got their old darlings growing up in the public eye with a loyal fanbase who buys their songs even when they are weaker than ususal. In the States it's just about Kylie's music not about her personality, so only her biggest global hits can be successful over there. On her last few albums there was no smash sadly, maybe there will be one on "Golden"...

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 11th February 2018, 10:52 PM
Post #76
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Yes I completely agree with all of these points, it seems that after 'It's No Secret' they just stopped trying and okay I'm not saying that songs like 'BTDYK' or 'CIM' would have smashed or anything, but her labels could have at least made an effort.

Firstly 'It's No Secret' isn't a bad song, but definitely not strong enough for the American market or following the massive success of 'Locomotion', 'INS' should have just been a European single only. Personally I would have opted for 'Turn It Into Love', it smashed in Japan reaching #1 with no promo or music video, so there was definitely more potential for success for this. With a music video and some promo, then this could have easily been a hit over there following 'Locomotion',. Radio stations would have definitely taken more to this than the latter. Then if this worked then maybe opt for 'Got To Be Certain' or 'Je Ne Sais Pas Pourqoui' as the 4th and final single for that market.

'Better The Devil You Know' should have definitely been given a chance and it was given a Remix, but for some reason it was scrapped or whatever, and that's a shame really as this at least should have been given a chance, it could have at least made a dent on the top 50 at least. Also with some actual proper promo then have 'What Do I Have To Do' as the follow up along with 'Step Back In Time' & 'Shocked', because at the very least they could have been given dance remixes and helped build her fanbase even more, any or all of these could have become popular on the club scene. Definite missed opportunities there, as at the time PWL were having major success over there with their other acts and Kylie could have easily joined in with them.

'Confide In Me' was another US release that fell through as this did make a dent on the dance charts, but for some reason the promo ended there and this is another what could have been. Considering the change in direction this could have easily broadened her fanbase over there and reintroduced her to a whole new audience. Same goes for 'Put Yourself In My Place' & the album. 'If I Was Your Lover' was also planned as a single over there and having that follow 'CIM' could have been interesting, but again the label gave up and cancelled everything all together.

Not releasing 'In Your Eyes' in America was another huge mistake, it could have easily given her another top 20 hit over there, 'CIMW' had no business being the 3rd single over there and to be honest I was never keen on that choice altogether and always thought 'Fever' should have been the last single.

I never found 'Slow' a bad lead single choice, it was a very bold move for her though, but do agree that maybe for the US Market it was maybe a bit too adventurous and yeah 'Cruise Control' or even 'Secret (Take You Home)' would have been far safer and either could have given her a much higher chart placing at the very least.

'All I See' was an absolute stupid choice for a lead single and never got the label's decision to try and appeal to the Urban market, considering that nothing else on the album had that feel and plus Kylie's never been that kind of artist especially with something so R&B lite, 'Speakerphone' was clearly the much better choice and even charted in Canada on downloads alone, so why they didn't look at this potential is beyond me. 'The One' or even 'Wow' would have even been better, Christ even '2 Hearts' would have been far safer than 'AIS' which features a no name rent a rapper.

'All The Lovers' should have also been the lead US single, it could have at least made a dent on the top 100, even more so than 'GOMW'.

I also think that there should have been more effort made for promo of her 2nd album 'Enjoy Yourself' in the USA, at the very least given one of the singles a proper release along with some actual promotion and at the very least been given a fighting chance.

+Quote this post
Regina
post 12th February 2018, 06:27 PM
Post #77
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

QUOTE(Monzo @ Jan 29 2018, 10:07 AM) *
Her problem in the US is that she's not everybody's darling like in the UK and Australia. They got their old darlings growing up in the public eye with a loyal fanbase who buys their songs even when they are weaker than ususal. In the States it's just about Kylie's music not about her personality, so only her biggest global hits can be successful over there. On her last few albums there was no smash sadly, maybe there will be one on "Golden"...

For the small fanbase she has in America, I think she is also a bit of a darling. Kylie is one of those popstars, like Kelly Clarkson, who is just generally well liked.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 11th March 2018, 01:04 AM
Post #78
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

Whatever to this thread laugh.gif Kylie does have a decent fan base in the US (She’s a bit of a cult act with the gays) but in fairness she has not put herself out there or dedicated nearly enough time to trying to break the US market. But all that aside Queen Kylie is coming back to the US to headline New York gay pride in June and I’ll be there wub.gif

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 01:43 PM