BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
28 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Formerly Forthcoming Tory leadership race
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
crazy chris
post May 16 2019, 09:11 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

So, May is on notice now and been told to go by the 1922 Committee after she tries MV4 again, whether it's passed or not. Speculation is that she'll leave No.10 immediately and that David Liddington will be Acting PM whilst a leadership election is held.

So, two confirmed candidates so far. Boris Johnson and Esther McVey.

Who would you like to see as leader and who do you think has a good chance of actually getting it and becoming the next PM? Can Boris get enough MP support to put him through to the membership ballot?

I'd like to see Boris win but have a hunch Gove will actually get it. Think Hunt will stand too.

This post has been edited by Brett-Butler: Jun 13 2019, 09:42 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post May 16 2019, 09:17 PM
Post #2
Howdy, disco citizens
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

The smart money for me would be Home Secretary Sajid Javid. It's not going to be Boris, and it's not going to be Jacob Rees-Mogg - they are much less popular amongst their fellow MPs than they are amongst Conservative voters, and the way the Tory leadership contest means that neither are likely to make it to the final two for the wider party run-off, unless they are the only two people that put themselves forward, or are two of only three that do so.

+Quote Post
Harve
post May 16 2019, 09:18 PM
Post #3
Cœur poids plume
Member No.: 4,718
   No Gallery Pics

I really don't care about this much as it won't change the parliamentary arithmetic (unless Phillip Lee, Justine Greening etc. want to defect and vote no confidence upon an ERG PM I know you want to pls that would be really really exciting). In reality it's just gonna embarrass the UK on the international stage even further when the Tories choose a zoomer to represent their zoomer membership.

But Rory Stewart, Matt Hancock, Gove, Penny Mordaunt or Amber Rudd would be some of the less terrible candidates.

This post has been edited by Harve: May 16 2019, 09:19 PM

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post May 16 2019, 09:27 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ May 16 2019, 10:17 PM) *
The smart money for me would be Home Secretary Sajid Javid. It's not going to be Boris, and it's not going to be Jacob Rees-Mogg - they are much less popular amongst their fellow MPs than they are amongst Conservative voters, and the way the Tory leadership contest means that neither are likely to make it to the final two for the wider party run-off, unless they are the only two people that put themselves forward, or are two of only three that do so.

I don't think JRM will stand to be honest. I can see Javid and Gove going to the party membership.

Some newspaper political editors are saying that Boris wouldn't be standing if he didn't think he could get enough MP's to see him through to the run off with the membership.

This post has been edited by Common Sense: May 16 2019, 09:28 PM

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post May 16 2019, 09:42 PM
Post #5
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

After his disgraceful behaviour over the past year Boris is very much out of favour with the majority of Conservative MPs, so I really do not see him making the final two. He is the favourite at the moment and we all know the favourite never wins a leadership election in the Conservative Party.

Further to this, he is on track to lose his seat in the next General Election at the moment (on current polling).

I picked Amber Rudd in the 2019 Predictions thread and for now I stand by that prediction. I think the Tories will want to put two moderates up for leadership, however if any Brexit favouring candidates make it to the final two (Dominic Raab, Michael Gove) then they will easily win.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 16 2019, 09:55 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ May 16 2019, 10:42 PM) *
After his disgraceful behaviour over the past year Boris is very much out of favour with the majority of Conservative MPs, so I really do not see him making the final two. He is the favourite at the moment and we all know the favourite never wins a leadership election in the Conservative Party.

Further to this, he is on track to lose his seat in the next General Election at the moment (on current polling).

I picked Amber Rudd in the 2019 Predictions thread and for now I stand by that prediction. I think the Tories will want to put two moderates up for leadership, however if any Brexit favouring candidates make it to the final two (Dominic Raab, Michael Gove) then they will easily win.

Amber Rudd's majority is far more precarious than Johnson's.

+Quote Post
Steve201
post May 16 2019, 10:58 PM
Post #7
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

Amber Rudd is desperate to be PM!!

I think Sajid Javid has a good chance, he's fairly hardline on social issues, has a good background story being the son of a migrant and working his way up and he fairly inocuous when it comes to Brexit - a brexiteer but not overly loud about it!

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post May 17 2019, 05:06 AM
Post #8
Paul Hyett
Group: Banned
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ May 16 2019, 10:42 PM) *

I don't put too much stock in current polling though, it is all over the place! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post May 17 2019, 07:10 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

Thatcher.

A zombie leader for an Undead political party.

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post May 17 2019, 07:51 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Steve201 @ May 16 2019, 11:58 PM) *

Rudd is very likely to lose her seat at the next election if there's a big swing to Labour and Corbyn's elected. Anyway don't think they'll go for another woman.

This post has been edited by Common Sense: May 17 2019, 07:53 AM

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post May 17 2019, 08:49 AM
Post #11
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

All my instincts point towards Michael Gove being the next PM.

Whatever way you look at it though, it's so bloody bleak. Much as I solemnly detest Madame Mayhem, the thought of what could happen after this terrifies me.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post May 17 2019, 08:59 AM
Post #12
Paul Hyett
Group: Banned
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ May 17 2019, 09:49 AM) *
All my instincts point towards Michael Gove being the next PM.

Whatever way you look at it though, it's so bloody bleak. Much as I solemnly detest Madame Mayhem, the thought of what could happen after this terrifies me.

If you're referring to Brexit, I think you are over-egging the pudding a bit. unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post May 17 2019, 10:17 AM
Post #13
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

QUOTE(vidcapper @ May 17 2019, 09:59 AM) *
If you're referring to Brexit, I think you are over-egging the pudding a bit. unsure.gif

I'm talking specifically about who could potentially end up at the helm after she's gone.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 17 2019, 11:52 AM
Post #14
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Just about the only positive thing that can be said about May is that the likely alternatives on the Tory benches are even worse.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post May 17 2019, 12:07 PM
Post #15
Brown cow, stunning!
Member No.: 10,139

I'm thinking Gove too, as said most of the realisitc options are far worse than even Theresa so it's hardly the good thing we want it to be that she's off drama.gif

QUOTE(Steve201 @ May 16 2019, 11:58 PM) *

She's desperate enough just to stay as an MP!! Queen of recounts.

+Quote Post
LexC
post May 17 2019, 12:09 PM
Post #16
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
Member No.: 5,342

Penny Mordaunt’s constituency is 30 seconds away from my house and can I just say ANYBODY but her!

+Quote Post
LexC
post May 17 2019, 12:10 PM
Post #17
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
Member No.: 5,342

Gut instinct is it’ll be Jeremy Hunt and Dominic Raab that make it to the membership vote and Raab will win it.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post May 17 2019, 12:59 PM
Post #18
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

I'm thinking similar Lex, but Hunt against Gove, with Gove then winning. Picking ones ideal leader out of the bunch is not a pleasant process but I might be inclined to say Hunt... very reservedly.

There are surprisingly a lot of names that have maneuvered themselves well. This will be chaotic (as if it were going to be anything but).

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post May 17 2019, 01:47 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

According to some posters on DS, if Boris gets through to the last two then he'll win, simply because he's the likeliest to beat Corbyn in a general election. Polls have shown that and the Tories want to stay in power at any cost. His problem is getting past the MP's though so he'll be promising Cabinet and Ministerial posts right left and centre. Such as McVey may drop out if promised a cabinet post and get behind Boris. That's the thinking anyway.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 17 2019, 01:52 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Common Sense @ May 17 2019, 02:47 PM) *
According to some posters on DS, if Boris gets through to the last two then he'll win, simply because he's the likeliest to beat Corbyn in a general election. Polls have shown that and the Tories want to stay in power at any cost. His problem is getting past the MP's though so he'll be promising Cabinet and Ministerial posts right left and centre. Such as McVey may drop out if promised a cabinet post and get behind Boris. That's the thinking anyway.

So DS posters agree with just about every political commentator in the country. Wow.

Any MP who believes a promise of a Cabinet seat from Johnson should be automatically disqualified from public office on the grounds of showing dangerous naivety. Why would anyone believe a man who has been sacked from two jobs and two marriages for lying?

+Quote Post

28 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:08 PM