BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> How should album streams be counted?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
danG
post Jul 20 2020, 09:02 AM
Post #21
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
I agree with Bjork. As was noted in the other thread Apple Music clearly can tell when an album is actually being streamed, and judging by their chart next to no one is actually listening to Mabel’s, Becky’s or Jax Jones’ albums yet they’re all comfortably in the chart.

They should have an Artists chart too to replace what the Albums chart has become then keep the Albums chart to track what albums people are actually streaming and buying.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Jul 20 2020, 09:18 AM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
I mean Mabel not even being top 1500 on Apple album streaming just shows no one is streaming that album,
it's just streams from playlists...

by comparison, I randomly checked a couple of albums I like... for instance Damien Rice - O which is from the early 00s, like nearly 20 years ago
it's there in the chart at like 700-ish... so even albums from 20 years ago are doing better than Mabels
but she's at #11 on the Album Charts

and same with Elton John... on the Apple album streaming chart Diamonds is at 300-ish... not top 15 like it's been for the last 9 months in the UK charts

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jul 20 2020, 09:21 AM
Post #23
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
I didn't even know Becky Hill had an album until I saw it was certified Gold a couple of weeks ago drama.gif

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post Jul 20 2020, 01:44 PM
Post #24
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161
That AM album chart is verrry interesting for a chart nerd :') What surprises me is ANTI is Rihanna's highest album by over 100 places, but last time I asked it hadn't been in the Top 200 albums chart since March 2019 while Loud and GGGB had.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Jul 20 2020, 02:44 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
another interesting thing if you look at that AM album chart is how well indie albums do
in the charts, indie music only do well on week 1 cos of physicals and then all indie artists are gone in week 2
but if you take a look The Streets and DMA's are still top 20,
even Jessie Ware is top 50... so if the OCC counted album streams properly instead of playlists, she'd be in the charts instead of gone in week 2
same with many others indie acts like Phoebe Bridgers or Paul Weller

+Quote this post
danG
post Jul 20 2020, 02:57 PM
Post #26
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
QUOTE(Jonjo @ Jul 20 2020, 10:21 AM) *
I didn't even know Becky Hill had an album until I saw it was certified Gold a couple of weeks ago drama.gif

It's less of an album and more of a hits compilation - out of the 14 tracks on it 8 of them were chart hits (plus an orchestral version of I Could Get Used To This)

+Quote this post
Juranamo
post Jul 20 2020, 06:20 PM
Post #27
Group icon
"Everything seems different the second time around."
User: 5,830
I think the albums chart would be better presented as a sales chart (with only *complete* streams of albums [if possible]) and the current chart we see converted into an overall "What artists is the country consuming?" chart (with *all* songs by each artist included).

+Quote this post
Brer
post Jul 20 2020, 06:26 PM
Post #28
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
The problem with the argument that the album chart should remain only sales based is that there are certain albums which definitely are being consumed as full albums but that consumption is almost entirely on streaminsales. Juice WRLD's album last week was #35 on sales but it'd be absolutely preposterous to pretend that's an accurate assessment of interest in the album.

Personally I think the way it works for studio albums is fine, but maybe greatest hits albums should have some sort of extra restrictions on them and there should be some kind of restriction on the clearly loophole exploting behaviour of acts like Jax Jones and Mabel. I don't know exactly what though. x

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:49 PM