BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ThePensmith's Top 20 Singles Chart, Week ending 24th May 2019
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post May 24 2019, 03:52 PM
Post #1
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Group: Members
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

Good afternoon everyone, and a happy bank holiday to you all for the second time this month. It's safe to say summer is on its way but we're here to keep you cool with my personal top 20 this week. Three weeks on top for now Mark Ronson and Lykke Li, but are they still at number one today or maybe a new entry? Only one way to find out...

THEPENSMITH'S TOP 20 SINGLES CHART
Week ending 24th May 2019
© AM LIMITED 2019

1. (1) MARK RONSON FEAT. LYKKE LI - Late Night Feelings
2. (2) AVICII FEAT. ALOE BLACC - SOS
3. (HNE) KYGO FEAT. RITA ORA - Carry On
4. (3) SHAWN MENDES - If I Can't Have You
5. (4) THE VERONICAS - Think Of Me
6. (NE) PAIGE CAVELL - Predators and Monsters
7. (9) OLLY MURS - Feel The Same
8. (5) JONAS BROTHERS - Sucker
9. (6) P!NK FEAT. KHALID - Hurts 2B Human
10. (7) KYLIE MINOGUE - New York City

11. (8) JONAS BLUE FEAT. THERESA REX - What I Like About You
12. (10) UNPERFECT - Looking for a Hug
13. (NE) JAMIE CULLUM - Taller
14. (11) ELLIE GOULDING - Sixteen
15. (12) BASTILLE - Joy
16. (14) BUSTED - Shipwrecked In Atlantis
17. (15) MABEL - Don't Call Me Up
18. (NE) POCKET SUN - Lucid
19. (NE) HANNE LELAND - Delicate

20. (13) RAK-SU - Yours or Mine

Compiled from my own personal listening in the last seven days across streaming, digital and physical formats.

KEY

(1) - last week's position
(HNE) - highest new entry
(NE) - new entry
(RE) - re-entry

CHART COMMENTARY

Once again, the top 2 is exactly the same as it was seven days ago. Nothing, but nothing it seems can come close to either Mark Ronson and Lykke Li's 'Late Night Feelings' or Avicii and Aloe Blacc's 'SOS', now into their fourth week at #1 and fifth week at #2 respectively.

The last time the top 2 was logjammed in this way for a long period of time was just last November, when George Ezra held firm at the top with 'Hold My Girl' and Michael Bublé held runners up position with 'Love You Anymore'. Both 'Late Night Feelings' and 'SOS' have just this week advanced into my top 10 singles for the year, and their success doesn't yet appear to have an end, so expect them to be even bigger yet by the time their chart runs are finished.

Once again, there's also a very low number of new arrivals where the top 10 is concerned, but that's not to say they couldn't yet grow to bigger things. Take the record that claims my highest new debut this week. Kygo was last on my chart two years ago with Ellie Goulding, hitting #23 with 'First Time'. There's a bit more sensation around the Norwegian DJ's latest release though, as 'Carry On' is both a collaboration with Rita Ora and the title theme from the current box office smash Pokemon: Detective Pikachu.

It thus charges to a top 3 debut to give him his biggest hit to date, as well as far outperforming the title theme from the original Pokemon: The First Movie back in March 2000, when Danish duo M2M's 'Don't Say You Love Me' could only make #19 on my chart. Gotta catch all the success.

Anyone still in doubt about the revival of Xenomania to our chart after the sharply dividing first two singles from their new girl group Unperfect ('Looking for a Hug' falls two places to this week's #12) has more evidence to the defence with the lady that debuts just outside my top 5 this week. 19 year old Paige Cavell is Brian Higgins and co's second major new discovery, and gets her career off to a flying start with this #6 debut for the immensely catchy 'Predators and Monsters'.

Jonas Brothers lose a top 5 berth, falling three places to this week's #8, but their run of weeks inside the top 10 with former number one 'Sucker' breaks the double digit barrier this week as it clocks up its tenth week in the upper reaches. All eyes are now on their next single 'Cool', currently set to appear at the end of next month, to see if it can repeat its success.

Second only to Jo Bros in the long running stakes at the moment is Olly Murs. For eight weeks now, his 'Feel The Same' has shown surprising resilience and remained a top 10 hit, despite its #3 entry point being its peak thus far, matching the eight weeks his first single off his current album and chart topper 'Moves' with Snoop Dogg managed in the autumn last year. The third single from his 'You Know I Know' album, it moves back up two places to #7 this week - a position it was last at three weeks ago - following his sold out London O2 Arena shows last weekend for his 10th anniversary tour (we were at the Saturday date and can confirm that he smashed it, yes).

Dropping down into the top 20, we welcome back Jamie Cullum, who debuts at #13 with 'Taller'. The track is the first to be lifted from his forthcoming new album, also called 'Taller', out a week next Friday. It follows on from his last single, 'Love Is In The Picture', which made the top 5 back in November 2018.

A brand new name is next at #18, which finds the debut hit for Pocket Sun, a synth pop/cosmic soul/disco band from Bristol (their description, not ours we should point out). It seems a strange way to describe their single 'Lucid', for it's actually a lot more lush and ambient than all of that - it almost calls to mind Zero 7 and Air. You heard it first, the chillout revival starts here, kids.

Speaking of artists who are very much in the synth pop mould though, Hanne Leland is our final new chart entry this week with her fifth single release. All of them have been top 20 hits on my chart, but unless it stages a recovery next week then 'Delicate' is set to be the smallest so far with this #19 entry point. Her debut single 'Carry On' from March 2018 remains her only top 10 hit to date.

FLASHBACK TOP 10
Your chance to see how my personal top 10 was looking on this week in the last 20 years. This week in 2000: With a new name and new look, Billie Piper storms in at the top with 'Day & Night', plus classic hits from Madison Avenue, Britney Spears and Tom Jones

1. (HNE) BILLIE PIPER - Day & Night

2. (1) MADISON AVENUE - Don't Call Me Baby
3. (2) BRITNEY SPEARS - Oops!...I Did It Again
4. (3) TOM JONES VS. MOUSSE T - Sex Bomb
5. (NE) DJ LUCK & MC NEAT - Masterblaster 2000
6. (4) WATERGATE - Heart of Asia
7. (5) FRAGMA - Toca's Miracle
8. (6) BLOODHOUND GANG - The Bad Touch
9. (7) ARMAND VAN HELDEN - Koochy
10. (8) OXIDE & NEUTRINO - Bound 4 Da Reload (Casualty)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:42 PM