BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> True Blue ● The Album Rate Results
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Josh!
post 4th September 2016, 08:40 PM
Post #41
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Sep 4 2016, 01:27 PM) *
A different but fab Top 4 there! 'Open Your Heart' is one of Madonna's most exciting songs; just that whole intro with the "WATCH OUT!" and the chimes is so dramatic and energetic and most definitely up there with her best openers.

OYH is definitely one of her most exciting but then again so is this whole album. I think Papa Don't Preach would round out my top 5 and it says a lot that 3/5 of my favourite Madonna songs out of hundreds come from just one album, it really is fantastic.

This post has been edited by Josh.: 4th September 2016, 08:42 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
vibe
post 1st October 2016, 08:58 AM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

Please continue

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 1st October 2016, 09:17 AM
Post #43
Group icon
User: 13,007

! Liam omg even I forgot about this laugh.gif *spanks for the laziness*

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 2nd October 2016, 01:33 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Oh God. drama.gif 3rd place will be up tonight.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 2nd October 2016, 11:17 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

03 // La Isla Bonita // Average: 9.82

~ This is where I long to be ~

Highest: 11 (Qween, Regina) Lowest: 8 (mr_pmt)

In third place is 'La Isla Bonita' - a well-known and beloved Madonna song today, but one that may have sounded very different if Michael Jackson accepted the original basis when it was offered to him first. As things stand, it marked one of the earliest occasions that Madonna proved she could elevate a song above and beyond what it appeared on paper. What could have been borderline-novelty and campy is a luxurious and heavenly affair and, ironically enough, one I've always regarded as being quite sophisticated and prestigious due to its absolute coolness and self-assurance in not requiring any big production moments to be so successful. It defines escapism and I challenge anyone who isn't transported to complete ease of mind when listening to the angelic sighs, cuban drums or Spanish guitar. It takes little thought to understand why the Hispanic style has popped up time and time again in Madonna songs, usually triumphantly, but I don't think ever pulling it off as stylish and effortlessly as it is done in 'La Isla Bonita'.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 6th October 2016, 07:16 PM
Post #46
Group icon

ADORE <3 Always transports me to some exotic place whenever I listen to it. Also very relatable - that feeling of wanting something that is unreachable and forever dreaming about it sad.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 6th October 2016, 07:30 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Yeah, there's a really poignant and tragic undertone to it which is a strange component to such a summery, chilled song. It's a bit like how 'Papa Don't Preach' is so jolly in sound despite the lyrics, although it is much more subtly done in 'La Isla Bonita'.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 9th October 2016, 08:47 AM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Such a classic M song !!

I love she plays this and mixes it up on tour

+Quote this post
vibe
post 27th November 2016, 05:24 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Bump

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 27th November 2016, 11:17 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Thank you. kink.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 28th November 2016, 06:56 AM
Post #51
Group icon

Liam ffs! laugh.gif THAT'S ENOUGH SUSPENSE BUILDING JUST REVEAL THE WINNER

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 3rd December 2016, 02:00 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Here we gooooo...

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 3rd December 2016, 02:01 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

02 // Open Your Heart // Average: 10.05

~ Open your heart with the key ~

Highest: 11 (dandy, HausofHorrors, mr_pmt) Lowest: 8.5 (Regina)

Runner's up goes to 'Open Your Heart', achieving an impressive average score of over 10, which could have easily seen it crowned #1 elsewhere. Rumour has it that this was originally a rock and roll song written for Cyndi Lauper, but it instead became the first recording to make the True Blue album. It's hard to imagine what this would sound as a rock number because, in its final form, it just so perfectly epitomises what it is to be a solid, full-on-all-and-out pop song. The intro is so striking and glorious, particularly the slightly extended one used in the video, that instantly throws you into the song and puts a big grin on your face. It's a huge achievement in itself, but more so, I think, because of it not even leading into the first chorus - it's solely that introduction that creates that impact. The message of the song is a simple tale of love, but it's so empowering against the production and vocals, with the ideal notion that there is a special someone made for everyone in the world. Vocally, it's one of Madonna's best out of her big, happy, pop moments as she explores her higher and lower ranges with a brilliant yearning tone. It's a magical song that makes it easy to see why Madonna became one of the 80's greats.

01 // Papa Don't Preach // Average: 10.28

~ What I need right now is some good advice ~

Highest: 11 (Joe., SamJudd, River Lea) Lowest: 9..5 (Qween)

And the winner of the True Blue rate is 'Papa Don't Preach'! Being the first song and most memorable on the album, one could assume it was an inevitable win, justifiably or not, but I think any Madonna fan could admit that its placing as the #1 track is truly deserved. Madonna took herself, and indeed pop music, to new heights with this one. It's Vivaldi-esque intro is another sparkling example of how Madonna can hook you from a mere few chords: it's grand, it's dramatic, it's enticing. For listeners at the time who were only aware of her 'Like a Virgins' and 'Material Girls', I think this would have been really intriguing with a suspense of what on earth was going to follow, because you just knew it wouldn't be about being "touched for the very first time" or playing hard to get. This anticipation is certainly matched when Madonna's lower vocal range is used to assume the role of an expecting teenager who sits her father down and begins revealing her predicament. Madonna's conviction rings true, portraying the desperation of keeping her close bond with her father in tact whilst standing firm with her decision to keep her baby, despite fears of her father's reaction. It's a challenging theme that seems so out of place in a pop song, yet the arrangement and hooks and melody just come together in a way that allows you to quite easily dance and have fun to the song, without necessarily taking away from the message. It helps that a key theme is that of self-empowerment and, essentially, love triumphing all, but it has to be said that the crafting of this song is utter genius with its success of balancing the positive and negative emotions it evokes. Undeniably, one of the most important songs in Madonna's career.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 3rd December 2016, 02:01 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Remind me never to host a rate on my own. drama.gif

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3