BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Robbie & Guy
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Sydney
post Mar 3 2013, 10:18 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,680
I resurrected this article from The Guardian in 2005, I wonder of this is the 'project' that has been taken out of the box after all these years , is this what Robbie blogged about recently

Life after Robbie

Tomorrow he will be feted for writing the best song of the decade. But after their huge success with Angels, Guy Chambers and Robbie Williams famously fell out. He tells Laura Barton how he coped with the split - and about the secret project that may reunite them

The Guardian, Wednesday 25 May 2005

They say the devil has all the best tunes, but today, disconcertingly, Guy Chambers appears a vision of well-scrubbed cherubism. "I think truly ambitious people can be evil," he says sweetly, "but I don't think I've ever been evil with a capital E." Nevertheless, Chambers is behind many of the world's most successful pop records, and tomorrow will collect an Ivor Novello award for having written the "song of the decade" - Angels, recorded by Robbie Williams. Though he has gone on to write for many other artists - Jamie Cullum, Brian McFadden, Charlotte Church and Kylie Minogue among them - it is with Williams, the singer with whom he worked for five and a half years, and from whom he acrimoniously split in 2002, that his name is most stickily entangled.

Despite the low-level fame the association has brought him, his face has remained rather less well known. There is an air of David Cassidy about him, a hint of Daniel Bedingfield, but one would be hard-put to place him. One afternoon not so very long ago, he found himself at Buckingham Palace. "I was speaking to Francis Rossi and Rick Parfitt, and then the Queen came up to us. 'You must be the newest member,' she said to me. I think she thought I was in Status Quo."

His most recent work, the Isis Project, is unlikely to bring quite as much attention as some of his previous collaborations. Recorded as a gift for his five-year-old daughter, Isis, all of the songs are in French, the lyrics written by the French artist Keren Ann Zeidel, set to Chambers' music, and sung by British actress Sophie Hunter. "We went," Chambers puts it, "down the Jane Birkin road." Chambers himself does not speak French. "I like the fact it's in French, and the fact that the words are very poetic, sort of metaphors and sort of archaic. And I like the fact that I don't know specifically what the songs are about. The music's very personal, but the message and the words are just part of the sound of it for me. And I love being able to switch that part of my brain off - the critical part. Because I did get a bit tired a year or two ago of listening to English."

It's certainly a long way from the pop fodder of his work with Williams. Angels was a typical Chambers confection, soaring orchestral strings, stirring piano, and a chorus about waterfalls and love and affection and loving angels instead. It lends itself well to karaoke, and throughout the summer of 1999 proved inescapable.

The song's phenomenal success brought a procession of hopeful young artists to his Primrose Hill studio. What, I ask, would he do if I were a young popstrel in search of a song. "Well, I'd ask you what you'd been doing and what's your state of mind, cos it's all about people's energy. You know, are you the sort of person who wants to take a risk with your sound? Or are you very conservative? Or are you very emotional, are you very confrontational? And then you try to bring that out in the music ... so that when they walk out the door with this music they feel it's them - I don't want them to go away thinking, 'That's really Guy Chambers'."

He might start by muddling around with a sample or a guitar. "Or he or she might have a melody that they're walking around with. Or he or she may say something that makes me think 'that's a great title.' I'm always looking for titles. I'm title obsessed." And what's his best title? "Ooh," he says. "I think Millennium was quite clever. Because we didn't have a title for that, and then I said 'Millennium', and he [Robbie] went, 'What's that got to do with anything?' and I said, 'Well, the Millennium's coming up and it's gonna be huge, and the radio's gonna want a tune with Millennium on it."

Songwriting, he says, is easiest when someone has "an emotional block they want to unblock - cos I think music can do that." He says the Isis Project has been an unblocking for him. "It's a way of me moving on from the Robbie legacy." He speaks a lot like this, his sentences laced with the easy, faintly cheesy sentiment of the pop lyric. "I can't repeat that with anybody else, but it's taken a while to realise that - I can't find another Robbie because there isn't another Robbie." He talks of Williams as one might refer to a great lost love, returning to him with a persistent, scab-picking obsessiveness, his voice carrying a mingling of affection and begrudgery and bewilderment.

Pre-Robbie, Chambers, now 41, had a mildly successful, persistently musical existence. He grew up in Surrey, his mother had worked for a record label, his father was a flute player with the London Philharmonic, and the young Chambers would sit in on rehearsals at the Royal Festival Hall. "I had piano lessons from when I was five. And I was in a choir and I picked up the guitar when I was 10. I tried the french horn, I tried the trumpet, I tried the violin. But then I found the piano and the guitar, because I liked to write my own songs. My piano teacher, when I was about six, said to my mum, 'Oh he really likes jazz' because I was trying to change the music - I would get bored of trying to read other people's music."

When Chambers was 13 his father accepted a job with the Liverpool Philharmonic, and the family moved north. He started bunking off to go to a friend's house and listen to records - "in those days it would have been Deaf School and Echo and the Bunnymen and Teardrop Explodes and the Clash."

He went on to study music at Guildhall and stayed to do a postgraduate course in composition, despite not actually enjoying it. "At Guildhall a lot of the kids were from posh homes and they didn't seem to be doing it for the right reasons." Which are? "I suppose I'm a bit romantic about music. I believe that if you're a musician you should want to die for it. It should be the most important thing in your life." And how does his wife feel about that? "One of the reasons I married her is that she's cool with that fact, that I put music first. But having said that, since I had kids it's changed." Chambers has three children - Isis, Mali and Gala. "The sort of love that your children bring out in you is so unique. It's as deep as the love of music, but because it's your own flesh and blood it's ... radical love. There," he grins, "is a good title."

He dabbled in bands himself, of course - a synth-led group named Hambi and the Dance, who were once supported by Frankie Goes to Hollywood; a brief stint playing keyboards for Jimmy Nail ("It was when he did Crocodile bleedin' Shoes. But I needed the roof doing"), the Waterboys, World Party, the Lemon Trees. But it was when he was introduced to Robbie that his fortunes changed. He recalls that the first time they met, "I was intimidated by him. Just like he was intimidated by me. It was a mutual intimidation. I'm still intimidated by him. He's got this persona, you never know what he's going to say or think. He's edgy. But that's quite good for me creatively. It woke me up a bit."

Their working relationship was relentlessly intense. Chambers toured with Williams, and they wrote continually. "We'd write songs on the back of buses, in hotels. He came on holiday with me." Does he miss him? "Sometimes, yeah. But I don't miss the pressure and some of the politics." The pressure was to write huge hits. "And I love that - it's an incredible challenge, but at the same time it grinds you down after a while." And the politics? "That's more of a personal thing." They both lost perspective, he says. "I think I got a bit big for my boots, and I think I did try to work with too many people. But I'm restless. And I think it was just very difficult to communicate with him at that time, that last year - not least cos he'd moved to LA. And I think once we'd lost that connection of seeing one another almost daily, I think things started breaking down."

Anyway, he continues, "we're talking again now". He drops it into the conversation nonchalantly, between mouthfuls of tabbouleh and a shrug. "I went to the Troubador in LA to see Coldplay and he was there at the same gig. It's a small club, so I bumped into him at the bar and we had a hug and afterwards there was an aftershow and we had a little chat together and then we went for dinner the following week and had a really, really good chat."

And would they consider working together again? "Yeah," he says, "we're definitely going to do something. But I can't say what it is, it's top secret. I haven't told anyone - my brother doesn't even know. But it is completely different. It's a project. I'm not saying what it is." His eyes twinkle, and for one fleeting second one glimpses the devilish side of Guy Chambers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2005/may/25/popandrock1
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jupiter9
post Mar 3 2013, 10:01 PM
Post #2
Group icon
The Last of the Rock Stars
User: 368
A project? thinking.gif

Completely different? thinking.gif thinking.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney
post Feb 14 2014, 06:53 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,680
Thanks to Laurastanley on TRWS friends.gif

http://sourcedistribution.co.uk/featured_artists.php?fid=42

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Oct 25 2016, 04:44 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,135
Thought it was time to bring this thread back to life seeing as the boys are back together smile.gif

Wonder which song is he referring to unsure.gif

Guys latest blog

Stockholm Hair Cuts & Back in the Studio
October 24, 2016
Last week we flew to Stockholm to do an intimate acoustic show for the ingeniously named "I Like Radio" and I managed to get a much needed haircut from Rob's hairdresser du jour, Davide, a task he managed with minimum fuss! Earlier in the week I spent two days with John Buckley who has recently signed to Capitol Records. We wrote two songs together in two different moods; the first one introspective, slow and moody, and the second one upbeat and sunny. He has rich tone to his voice and an instinctive intelligence that should get him a long way.

Today I am re-recording one of Rob and my old songs in a new arrangement, working with the hugely talented Owen Parker, and for the rest of the week we are rehearsing for the upcoming Troxy show. We are all excited about this show as we are playing some new songs for the first time.

Stay tuned!

G X

http://guychambers.com/blog/

This post has been edited by Sydney11: Oct 25 2016, 04:48 AM

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Oct 25 2016, 11:31 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,265
QUOTE(Sydney11 @ Oct 25 2016, 05:44 AM) *
Thought it was time to bring this thread back to life seeing as the boys are back together smile.gif

Wonder which song is he referring to unsure.gif

Look forward to finding out. cool.gif

What always seems "wrong" to me is that Guy wasn't around when Robbie did Knebworth.

If there was one gig they should have shared the experience of together, it should have been that one.

I like Guy's blogs - I hope he writes longer ones.

This post has been edited by Laura130262: Oct 25 2016, 11:31 PM

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Nov 6 2017, 06:23 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I wonder what happened to this then smile.gif

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Nov 6 2017, 11:37 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I can't find another Robbie because there isn't another Robbie."

Too right. smile.gif

It mentions in the book how they got back together briefly in LA in 2007 when he was doing the LA Vale football matches and tried to write together but it didn't work.

Maybe that's what he was referring to in late 2005? huh.gif

They obviously weren't in the right head space then.

It is interesting reading back through old articles though isn't it? Seeing what happened etc.

This post has been edited by Laura130262: Nov 6 2017, 11:37 PM

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Nov 7 2017, 06:19 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Laura130262 @ Nov 6 2017, 11:37 PM) *
I can't find another Robbie because there isn't another Robbie."

Too right. smile.gif

It mentions in the book how they got back together briefly in LA in 2007 when he was doing the LA Vale football matches and tried to write together but it didn't work.

Maybe that's what he was referring to in late 2005? huh.gif

They obviously weren't in the right head space then.

It is interesting reading back through old articles though isn't it? Seeing what happened etc.

I'm getting there very slowly Laura , kinda a couple of pages a week & then going back to read the bits I had forgotten . I vaguely remember seeing a video back in the day of Guy at one of Robbie's soccer games in LA , do you remember that , was it also around the time that we started seeing Ayda appearing every now & then ...

It all took time but was so well worth it in the end wink.gif

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Nov 7 2017, 11:55 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Sydney11 @ Nov 7 2017, 06:19 AM) *
I'm getting there very slowly Laura , kinda a couple of pages a week & then going back to read the bits I had forgotten . I vaguely remember seeing a video back in the day of Guy at one of Robbie's soccer games in LA , do you remember that , was it also around the time that we started seeing Ayda appearing every now & then ...

It all took time but was so well worth it in the end wink.gif

Yes - I remember that Tess - in the summer of 2007 Guy was at the football and that was when Ayda was going to some of the matches. smile.gif

Can't believe that was ten years ago. There were times then when I began to doubt he would ever go back to being a pop star.

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Apr 11 2018, 08:09 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Recent interview by Guy , wonder how his new opera is going

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p063hfc8

Thanks to http://forum.robbiewilliamsmusic.ru/viewto...?id=214&p=5 for post

Could only find one review so far on the opera itself, I hope it goes well for Guy http://www.onstagenorthants.co.uk/the-self...hambers-review/

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Apr 11 2018, 11:05 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Sydney11 @ Apr 11 2018, 09:09 PM) *
Recent interview by Guy , wonder how his new opera is going

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p063hfc8
Thanks to http://forum.robbiewilliamsmusic.ru/viewto...?id=214&p=5 for post
Could only find one review so far on the opera itself, I hope it goes well for Guy http://www.onstagenorthants.co.uk/the-self...hambers-review/

Ive listened to the snippets on twitter. It sounds rather lovely actually. smile.gif . I listened to an interview he gave last week. Both his mum and dad were involved with classical music at the highest level. Music really does run through his veins. Very talented man. I also didn't know he has four children. I like Guy. There's a lot of class about him and he seems very calm and measured.

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Apr 12 2018, 07:18 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Laura130262 @ Apr 12 2018, 12:05 AM) *
Ive listened to the snippets on twitter. It sounds rather lovely actually. smile.gif . I listened to an interview he gave last week. Both his mum and dad were involved with classical music at the highest level. Music really does run through his veins. Very talented man. I also didn't know he has four children. I like Guy. There's a lot of class about him and he seems very calm and measured.

Guy always comes across as nervous when he is being interviewed , does he carefully choose his words when talking about Robbie & their past ...

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Apr 12 2018, 11:26 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Sydney11 @ Apr 12 2018, 08:18 PM) *
Guy always comes across as nervous when he is being interviewed , does he carefully choose his words when talking about Robbie & their past ...

I think certainly he did when they first got back together.

RW only got a small mention at the end when Guy was talking about those he had worked with which is right and proper as the interview wasn't about Robbie. When asked Guy said Robbie was unique, a great wordsmith and very, very funny.

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Apr 13 2018, 03:02 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Jun 30 2019, 08:11 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
“I’m still intimidated by him”: what it’s like to be the ghostwriter behind some of pop’s greatest hits

After a successful career writing songs for Robbie Williams, Guy Chambers has just released his first album. But what is it like to be ‘silent’ partner in a songwriting collaboration with a megastar—and how do you strike out on your own?

Robbie Williams performs live in concert at L’Alhambra in Paris, France.

Behind many of our favourite tunes, there’s often a songwriter who receives none of the onstage glory, the breathless autograph requests, the chance to make it onto the covers and homepages of music publications. What is it like to be ‘silent’ partner in a songwriting collaboration with a megastar?

Guy Chambers knows. He’s just released his first album, Go Gentle Into The Light at the age of 56, after a successful career writing songs with Robbie Williams. The album is a selection of Chambers’ classic songs played as piano instrumentals.

Chambers collaborated as songwriter, producer and musical director on Robbie Williams’ first five solo albums, all of which reached number 1 in the United Kingdom album chart and have sold over 40 million records globally. Their hit singles include “Angels,” “Let Me Entertain You,” “Millennium,” “Feel” and “Rock DJ,” among others.

In 1995, Chambers’ own band, The Lemon Trees, disbanded. Describing how he first met Williams two years later in 1997, he says that it happened “through my publisher, Paul Curran, who was a friend of Robbie’s manager, Tim Clark. Rob called me up and asked me if I could write ‘dirty pop,’ I said ‘yes’—and the rest is history.”

In a 2005 Guardian profile, Chambers explained their dynamic more fully: “I was intimidated by [Williams]. Just like he was intimidated by me. It was mutual intimidation. I’m still intimidated by him. He’s got this persona, you never know what he’s going to say or think. He’s edgy. But that’s quite good for me creatively. It woke me up a bit.”

It was also around this time that Chambers started working with award-winning singer-turned-songwriter Cathy Dennis. A pop performer in her own right, Dennis was called “a half-remembered 90s star” in a 2008 Guardian profile, which then adds: “she had 10 consecutive UK top 40 hit singles in the 1990s,” the most famous of them being “Touch Me (All Night Long)” from 1991.

It was only the year after, however, that another song she wrote was in the charts—but this time, sung by someone else. Dannii Minogue’s 1992 “Love’s On Every Corner” was the first song Dennis wrote for someone else.

Talking about the years in which she’s sold her songs to other singers, she said: “I think I naturally thrive in situations where I feel that I’m the underdog—that’s the kind of thing that drives me.”

Dennis went on to work with S Club 7 in the 1990s, writing end-of-the-night anthems such as “Reach” (2000). She continued to pen a string of 2000s bangers, for Kylie Minogue (“Can’t Get You Out Of My Head” in 2001; “Come Into My World” in 2002), Britney Spears (“Toxic” 2003) and Katy Perry (“I Kissed A Girl” 2008).

This year is heading back onstage for the first time since the early 90s. After years away from the performing spotlight, winning multiple Ivor Novello Awards for her songwriting, Dennis will be celebrating her 30th anniversary in music this summer by playing the Mighty Hoopla Festival in London’s Brockwell Park on June 8.

Speaking to the Sun last month, she said: “I haven’t done it for a very long time and I enjoy it … I don’t really understand why I’ve neglected it as much as I have.”

Guy Chambers seems a bit more low-key than Cathy Dennis, and he doesn’t appear to be bringing The Lemon Trees back any time soon. Yet while Chambers and Williams continue to work together, it’s the songwriter who has the new album out, while Williams is about to kick off his first-ever Las Vegas residency.

Apart from old friend Dennis, which other songwriters out there should we be paying more attention to? Chambers doesn’t hesitate to name names: “I admire anything Max Martin does, and Coldplay. They’re the most successful band in the world so you can’t deny their collaborative magic works.”

While it’s true that Coldplay frontman Chris Martin has written songs for an impressive variety of acts—Embrace, Jamelia, the Streets, Jay-Z, Dua Lipa—Max Martin’s back catalogue reads like the greatest hits of early 21st-century pop. By the turn of the century, he’d written Britney Spears’ “…Baby One More Time” (1998), The Backstreet Boys’ “I Want It That Way” (1999) and NSYNC’s “It’s Gonna Be Me” (2000).

More recently, he’s worked with Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift and The Weeknd. He is the songwriter with the third-most number-one singles (22) on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, behind only Paul McCartney (32) and John Lennon (26). Oh, and he’s the 99th richest person in his native Sweden, making US$19 million in 2016.

He could buy plenty of time on a stage if he wanted it—but unlike Chambers and Dennis, Max Martin hasn’t shown any signs of wanting to perform.

So what does Chambers’ own album sound like? Talking to Music Week, he explained how he put Go Gentle Into The Light together: “I chose the music that I thought would lend itself to solo piano, they were not chosen as part of a greatest hits exercise. I learnt a lot about the songs. I thought it would be nice for them to be heard in their pure melodic form. It was a little gift to myself.”

That’s what the album is—Chambers’ work, with Robbie Williams removed. That works particularly nicely on tracks, like “No Regrets’, “Feel” and (surely his lost Bond theme) “Millennium,” where Chambers’ intricate piano work has always taken centre stage.

Perhaps it was a mistake to leave “Angels” in, though, because the stripped-down version is a four-minute reminder that Robbie Williams’ surprisingly vulnerable turn on this song, on the edge of his voice cracking with emotion, is what makes it an enduring hit. It was this song, from his first solo album, that cemented Williams’ post-Take That career, and made the rest of his partnership with Guy Chambers possible.

In an industry known for being cutthroat, accepting that someone else will be performing songs you wrote seems refreshingly altruistic. Was Chambers ever annoyed about remaining in the stage wings all those years, while Williams was getting screamed at adoring fans?

“There are no frustrations not being the performer,” Chambers says. “I’m just glad that artists want to perform something I’ve written. I always see that as a bonus.”

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/arts-and...riter-pop-songs

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Jun 30 2019, 11:25 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Interesting article. Thanks Tess. smile.gif

These article writers though - just can't resist the "writing for" Robbie Williams slant instead of the "writing with" can they? dry.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Jul 1 2019, 04:31 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Laura130262 @ Jul 1 2019, 12:25 AM) *
Interesting article. Thanks Tess. smile.gif

These article writers though - just can't resist the "writing for" Robbie Williams slant instead of the "writing with" can they? dry.gif

Robbie spent too many years not taking himself seriously enough Laura , that kind of attitude rubs off & people have used it against him. I agree these articles are always edited in a certain way by the authors ...

I always think the relationship between Guy & Robbie is a delicate one & something that could very easily be broken again ...

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Jul 1 2019, 11:12 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Sydney11 @ Jul 1 2019, 05:31 AM) *
I always think the relationship between Guy & Robbie is a delicate one & something that could very easily be broken again ...

Do you Tess?

I don't feel that.

I think they have enough space that each can go and do their own thing and just come together when they feel it's right.

I hope that's the case anyway. I like Guy being around. It feels "right".

Just as it doesn't feel right not having JW around sad.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Jul 2 2019, 10:01 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I am really looking forward to hearing the songs in the musical, they say there is a real Brit pop feel to them

https://www.list.co.uk/article/108745-robbi...cal-soundtrack/

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Jul 22 2019, 03:53 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
er

****** ie
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 23,135
User's Gallery

Warn: (0%) -----

'I don't do budget': Musician Guy Chambers on touring with Robbie Williams and his favourite UK bolthole

The songwriter recalls rowing the Danube with Robbie Williams, diving in Jamaica and a boys’ trip to Rhodes gone wrong.
My greatest melodies have taken root while travelling. I’m always looking for new chords and new harmonies, and being in different countries, particularly France, Austria and Hungary, can be inspiring. My job has taken me all over the world – though I’m still hankering to visit mainland China – and I get to travel a lot. I’m truly relaxed when holidaying or visiting Sussex
As a child, I used to go every year with my family and we would spend the entire summer there. Each year my dad, a flautist, would play at Glyndebourne and we’d spend long days paddling at the beach in Seaford. We have a country house in Lewes and I find spending time in our garden there is the perfect antidote to work stress: It’s my favourite place in Britain.

I’ve lived in London since I was 18. I’ve grown up in the capital, surrounded by the most amazing museums, galleries, theatres, concert halls and parks – the Hampstead ponds are a must for visitors. There are endless opportunities to have fun and I have no inclination to move. Almost every year we trundle down to Cap Ferret in France. We rent a house in this stunning location, looking out over the peninsula. It combines the best things about France – the food, the wine and that “je ne sais quoi” style. Everyone is always out cycling, too, which suits me just fine.

I like to have a piano wherever I travel in the world. I do a lot of writing when I am away. For instance, Robbie Williams’s Go Gentle track, which was released as a single a few years ago, was penned in the house we rent in Cap Ferret. Robbie and I had the best time at a festival in Budapest. It wasn’t your Glastonbury-style experience. We actually stayed at the Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace, and in between sets Robbie rented a boat which we took out on to the Danube river. It was a lot of fun. Budapest is such a delightful city. It has lovely outdoor baths, a magnificent opera house and amazing “Ruin Bars” which are unlike anything you will find anywhere else in Europe. The buildings are semi-derelict shells that have been taken over and refurnished with old junk. They are very atmospheric.

The beautiful hilltop town of Barolo in Italy is a magical place to play a gig. I had an amazing time when I visited the town’s festival. I’m a big wine nut and I always like to buy a bottle of local wine when travelling, but people there were stocking up on the stuff like it was going out of fashion. People thought I was the hotel pianist in Venice. My wife and I have visited the city for the past 20 years and we always stay at the Belmond Hotel Cipriani, which has the most remarkable view of St Mark’s Square. One of the first things I do each time is head for the piano. On our last visit, I decided to try out some of the songs on my new album. They went down well but did leave my fellow guests a little confused…

Budget trips aren’t my thing, nor are adventure holidays – too stressful. I always go luxury. My favourite thing to do is to flop out on a sun lounger with a book. I tend to read about six books over a fortnight, which is a real score compared with my London average. My favourite hotel in the world must be The Hôtel Costes in Paris. It’s dark, glamorous and has a beautiful underground swimming pool in the old cellar. I was one of the first guests to play there back in 1997 and I’ve returned for the odd long weekend many times since.

There's more to Las Vegas than slot machines says Guy, Las Vegas is a tremendously ugly city, But it actually has another, more foodie-focused side to it. I visited a few years ago and was surprised to discover that I actually enjoyed the experience. Grace Jones was our neighbour in Jamaica. We rented a villa at the GoldenEye hotel in Jamaica and she happened to be there at the same time. I have four children and we had the most amazing holiday there last August. When we weren’t sleeping or eating, we were scuba diving and deep-sea fishing. It was bliss.

A boys’ trip gone wrong stands out as my most calamitous holiday, ever. I went to Rhodes with my brother and one of our mates, on an “allocation upon arrival” package holiday before I got married. I didn’t like the first place we stopped at, so we moved to another. Then we moved pretty much every day. It was the last time I ever did that.

My best advice for coping with jet lag !!
Resist the temptation of an on-board beverage, keep your laptop out of reach, try not to work, and sleep as much as possible. And then exercise as soon as possible after you arrive.

Guy Chambers’s album Go Gentle Into the Light is out now on BMG.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/celebrit...avel-interview/

+Quote this post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 06:23 AM