BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Ben Haenow - Ben Haenow, 1st album | November 13
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Regina
post 30th January 2016, 05:27 PM
Post #81
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

Considering how Syco have been known to act with artists they actually were invested in (Leona for example) it's not hard to imagine that they did just "go through the
motions" with Ben and now allow him much chance to find his vision (which I think he actually did) I mean, you have mentioned numerous time he didn't have a good visual or musical
image but what would you suggest? It's not like his album was full of different sounidng songs or all the artwork was a totally different style to one another.

This post has been edited by Regina: 30th January 2016, 05:31 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 30th January 2016, 06:29 PM
Post #82
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

One thing I said as 'Something I Need' was topping the charts is still true now: he appears to have parted company with them with good grace and grounding (i.e. not done a Brookstein/Arthur and done down the show to death for ruining his whole life etc). It's not the end of the world though. Both Joe McElderry and Matt Cardle were still having top 10 albums and touring even after they left Syco so there's nothing to say Ben can't with the right label and team behind him. I still haven't got round to getting his album but I think I may do this week.

+Quote this post
Noahspike
post 30th January 2016, 06:41 PM
Post #83
Group icon
There's a frisbee in my brunch
User: 19,860

QUOTE(Regina @ Jan 30 2016, 05:27 PM) *
Considering how Syco have been known to act with artists they actually were invested in (Leona for example) it's not hard to imagine that they did just "go through the
motions" with Ben and now allow him much chance to find his vision (which I think he actually did) I mean, you have mentioned numerous time he didn't have a good visual or musical
image but what would you suggest? It's not like his album was full of different sounidng songs or all the artwork was a totally different style to one another.

Just because Leona was launched successfully and Ben wasn't doesn't mean the label didn't have any investment in him or didn't give him creative freedom - in fact he could have had more freedom to shape his own sound than Leona did. There are a lot of variables involved in making a career work, many of which have to do with an artist's innate potential or vision at a given time, and my point is that Ben shares responsiblilty for that. What he and the label came up with (I'm talking more of him as a proposed act to casual buyers rather than the album's material) wasn't 'good' enough to catch on and the fact he's now been dropped/parted ways doesn't confirm that he was screwed over from the start. (As The Pensmith's just said) I know it's a PR thing and he's a nice guy, but even based on his public statement about leaving the label it'd seem he enjoyed his experience and they're on good terms.

And I can't exactly suggest anything other than to refine his artistry, try to come up with a more interesting single that's sells himself better and ensure the presentation all fits tongue.gif. As I've said, I thought the whole package was bland and the artwork didn't reflect his music or supposed target market.

This post has been edited by Noahspike: 30th January 2016, 06:55 PM

+Quote this post
Regina
post 30th January 2016, 07:30 PM
Post #84
Group icon
Raining Shitter

Surely the fact that he was happy with his time suggests he was happy with his look and sound? If he wasn't then I doubt he'd be so positive, it sounds like he got the chance to make the music he wanted. It didn't catch on with the public but that's not his fault, I'd rather this happened than to see him sing music and have a look he didn't like just to sell records.

I'm sorry but I find it hard to take your point seriously about the artwork not representing the music etc. when you've admitted to only hearing the single laugh.gif which had good artwork. The single suited him perfectly, it was catchy, radio friendly pop with a slight rock edge which is what he wanted. You say "refine his artistry and come up with a more interesting single" but nothing else. SHH was pretty well recieved by most people anyway.
I'm probably a casual buyer when it comes to this kind of music (I stick to female based pop mainly) and I was on board fairly quickly with Ben and this album, even
though I didn't like him on X-factor.
Just because it didn't catch on and become a massive hit doesn't mean it was all wrong for him. Plenty of artists release music with visuals and sounds perfect for him but they don't catch on.

When you look at how someone like Matt was handled (really cheap looking videos, pretty cheap and bland cover art and a Gary Barlow penned lead single when he was meant to be this down to earth songwriter) Ben's campaign was far more of a success and closer to how he was as an artist.

+Quote this post
Noahspike
post 30th January 2016, 07:59 PM
Post #85
Group icon
There's a frisbee in my brunch
User: 19,860

QUOTE(Regina @ Jan 30 2016, 07:30 PM) *
Surely the fact that he was happy with his time suggests he was happy with his look and sound? If he wasn't then I doubt he'd be so positive, it sounds like he got the chance to make the music he wanted. It didn't catch on with the public but that's not his fault, I'd rather this happened than to see him sing music and have a look he didn't like just to sell records.

I'm sorry but I find it hard to take your point seriously about the artwork not representing the music etc. when you've admitted to only hearing the single laugh.gif which had good artwork. The single suited him perfectly, it was catchy, radio friendly pop with a slight rock edge which is what he wanted. You say "refine his artistry and come up with a more interesting single" but nothing else. SHH was pretty well recieved by most people anyway.
I'm probably a casual buyer when it comes to this kind of music (I stick to female based pop mainly) and I was on board fairly quickly with Ben and this album, even
though I didn't like him on X-factor.
Just because it didn't catch on and become a massive hit doesn't mean it was all wrong for him. Plenty of artists release music with visuals and sounds perfect for him but they don't catch on.

When you look at how someone like Matt was handled (really cheap looking videos, pretty cheap and bland cover art and a Gary Barlow penned lead single when he was meant to be this down to earth songwriter) Ben's campaign was far more of a success and closer to how he was as an artist.

I don't quite get where you're coming from now as we seem to agree on him having enough freedom with Syco to pursue what he wanted, yet you took issue with me saying that in my response to Suedehead's post when you said that it's not hard to imagine them not allowing him much chance to find his vision (comparing the situation to Leona's)?! I don't know how you can say he got the chance to make the music he wanted but that it failing to catch on isn't down to him at all. I was always speaking from a commercial perspective and if he asserts his artistry and produces material that doesn't find an audience, he surely has to be 'at fault' to some degree. My main point in this whole discussion (which I'm honestly bored of at this stage!) was that I don't believe he was simply screwed over or unsupported by Syco from the start like a lot of people have been implying.

+Quote this post
Regina
post 30th January 2016, 08:49 PM
Post #86
Group icon
Raining Shitter

My point was that while they might have given him some freedom, Syco are known to not be so invested in certain artists and I think they let Ben down in many ways.
His music did find an audience though, it might not have been a huge one but he sold decently enough, certainly better than some other male winners.
I personally don' think it's his fault that his music didn't hit it off majorly, but if he had more of a push it might have.

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 08:01 AM