BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Studio Ghibli • general discussion, fireflies die so young
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post 2nd February 2014, 10:19 PM
Post #1
Group icon
User: 13,007

Any fans? Has to be one of the greatest movie studios ever.

Films full of so much charm, wit, passion & character.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 2nd February 2014, 10:20 PM
Post #2
Group icon

My favourite is easily 'Grave of the Fireflies' which ranks as one of my favourite films of all time. 'Howl's Moving Castle', 'Spirited Away', '...Totoro', 'Ponyo', hell even 'Porco Rosso''!

But basically them all.

+Quote this post
jakee
post 2nd February 2014, 10:23 PM
Post #3
Group icon
i thought you wore the hairpiece for style
Pronouns: ·
User: 47

i f***ing love them. pretty much everything.

i will write a lengthier post when i r less tired

+Quote this post
Qween
post 3rd February 2014, 12:01 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

I've only seen TWO: Spirited Away was utterly amazing (the music too, fabbo) and Arriety which was pretty good too.

+Quote this post
randomfurlong
post 3rd February 2014, 12:05 AM
Post #5
Group icon
musing
User: 13,969

Grave of the Fireflies is absolutely f***ing devastating. I don't think I've ever cried so much, I went to bed a complete wreck after watching it.

I haven't seen nearly as many as I should've, and I really have no excuse given my flatmate has them all on DVD! ...Totoro is an absolute fave of mine - please check out my Christmas ornament - but lots of love for Howl's... and Spirited Away too.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 3rd February 2014, 12:14 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

I have only seen Spirited Away, but that stands as easily one of the best animated films I've ever seen. So beautiful.

My friend has been telling for about 4 years that I have to watch Grave Of The Fireflies so maybe I should get around to it soon... Who knows, maybe this thread will have finally pushed me?

+Quote this post
▲▲▲
post 3rd February 2014, 12:19 AM
Post #7
Group icon
INVITE ME TO YOUR SYNAGOGUE
User: 155

QUOTE(░░░░ @ Feb 2 2014, 10:23 PM) *
i f***ing love them. pretty much everything.

i will write a lengthier post when i r less tired

this this this

I cannot possibly choose a favourite. It's impossible. sad.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 3rd February 2014, 12:24 AM
Post #8
Group icon

They really are masters of bringing out the magic of cinema. And all the universal themes that we see in films all the time approached in such splendid ways.

QUOTE(Liаm @ Feb 3 2014, 12:14 AM) *
My friend has been telling for about 4 years that I have to watch Grave Of The Fireflies so maybe I should get around to it soon... Who knows, maybe this thread will have finally pushed me?

You must! I get a lump in my throat just thinking about it. NEVER has a film left me feeling so cold and empty (for the right reasons). It just keeps tearing you apart but remains simply stunning while it does so.

Ugh.

+Quote this post
richie
post 13th February 2014, 12:52 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166

We're big fans of The Cat Returns and picked up Pom Poko on DVD on holiday recently which we must get round to watching.

+Quote this post
post 13th February 2014, 08:08 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,513

Can we have a rate? Every movie would get a 10 from me tho. Picking an 11 would be so hard. I grew up w Studio Ghibli

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 13th February 2014, 09:21 PM
Post #11
Group icon

QUOTE(Mariah Scary @ Feb 13 2014, 08:08 PM) *
Can we have a rate? Every movie would get a 10 from me tho. Picking an 11 would be so hard. I grew up w Studio Ghibli

Please. Have a few i haven't touched though but i need to get on them.

And i would have loved to have grown up with them. Found them far too late and would have been good to experience them at a younger age to just get properly lost in the worlds. They obviously transcend well to any audiences though which is part of the appeal.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 14th February 2014, 10:49 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

I agree with all previous sentiments. Studio Ghibli are just wonderful - a few of my uni essays centered around those wonderful films. My favourites tend to change from time to time, but at the moment mine would be Spirited Away (got me into Ghibli, and by extension anime), Grave of The Fireflies (heartbreaking, whether you cry or not at this film should become the standard Turing Test), Only Yesterday (which is one of the underrated gems in the West, partly because it plays more like a straight drama, and partly because it was never dubbed into English), and my absolute personal favourite, Porco Rosso.

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post 15th February 2014, 07:19 AM
Post #13
Group icon
JanWasRobbed
User: 8,335

My top 5:

1. Princess Mononoke
2. Ponyo
3. Whisper of the Heart
4. Howl's Moving Castle
5. Spirited Away

Grave of the Fireflies is number 6 I guess. I love them all so much! I've only not watched Tales from Earthsea and Porco Rosso, though I'm not really interested in them.

Honourable mention: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind which is my 2nd favourite Miyazaki film, but was created before Studio Ghibli was founded.

ALSO, I can't believe no one has mentioned the amazing OSTs by Joe Hisaishi:

This post has been edited by Hard Out Here: 15th February 2014, 07:33 AM

+Quote this post
Qween
post 20th April 2014, 11:11 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

So yeah, watched Grave of the Fireflies tonight. JESUS CHRIST. In the best possible way, utterly, utterly devastating. Especially the final few minutes with that really haunting version of Home Sweet Home and the imagery going along with it.

+Quote this post
richie
post 15th May 2014, 10:06 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller

Saw The Wind Rises last night. Wow! Animation at its finest.

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post 15th May 2014, 11:39 AM
Post #16
Group icon
JanWasRobbed
User: 8,335

QUOTE(richie @ May 15 2014, 01:06 PM) *
Saw The Wind Rises last night. Wow! Animation at its finest.

You're so lucky, I'm still waiting for the BR release next month!

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post 4th August 2014, 12:13 AM
Post #17
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403

http://www.hypable.com/2014/08/03/studio-g...ounces-closure/

Toshio Suzuki, Studio Ghibli’s general manager, took to Japanese television today to announce the closure of their animation feature film department.

Rumours of the Japanese animation studio’s closure have been circling the internet for the last couple of years, but a report from a Ghibli insider to Japanese website News Café made it appear as though that closure would be imminent. This rumour has now been confirmed by the general manager of the studio.

Studio Ghibli has been responsible for many beloved animated movies, not limited to Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro, and Howl’s Moving Castle. But they made no secret about the fact that in recent years they have been struggling financially, with their most recent movies failing to make a profit for the studio. The Tale of Princess Kaguya, released in 2013, made 5.1 billion yen, and was considered a flop by the studio due to the costs of the production.

Hayao Miyazaki, the co-founder of Studio Ghibli, retired last summer and handed the reins over to Toshio Suzuki — the latter gave up producing films to become the general manager.

The studio will now move on to managing their trademarks and copyrights, with a smaller staff, but will reportedly be keeping the option open to freelance out for any new, viable projects — as they used to prior to Porco Rosso. The full-time staff responsible for producing their feature films will presumably be let go.

When Marnie Was There will be their last feature film. It is based on the novel of the same name by Joan G. Robinson. The plot follows a sickly girl called Anna as she strikes up a friendship with the mysterious Marnie, while she recuperates at a seaside town. It was released on July 19 in Japan. There is no word yet on a U.S. release date.

😞😞

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 4th August 2014, 12:46 AM
Post #18
Group icon

:|

A part of me will die with this. Really upsetting news, but they have films to last with me for a lifetime so it's not all bad...

+Quote this post
RosaParksMyCar
post 4th August 2014, 12:49 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
User: 16,548

What? Nooo sad.gif Spirited Away is the Greatest movie of all time.

+Quote this post
richie
post 4th August 2014, 06:55 AM
Post #20
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller

Damn, that's bad news - we just bought Ponyo and Princess Mononoke at the weekend and were looking forward to getting some more.

The Wind Rises is one of the best films I've seen this year.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 05:22 AM