BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Love Revolution Tour 2015
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
suggy
post 2nd November 2015, 03:16 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 85
Thanks for the concern, I'm up to about 85% better now, hopefully I'll all systems go when my turn comes. yahoo.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
finally
post 3rd November 2015, 03:32 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 15,505
Was at Brighton last night, had avoided any spoilers so it was all new for me.

What a fantastic show he puts on, the effects were great and the lighting brilliant, and he sang Uthink I'm sexy, one of my favourites. biggrin.gif .

Even the songs I don't particularly like sounded great live smile.gif

Only doing one concert this time so that's it for me sad.gif

Brilliant night wub.gif

+Quote this post
truly talented
post 3rd November 2015, 04:10 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 140
Glad keeping out of the spoilers paid off Jean. I'm sure you'll agree he just gets better and better. cheer.gif

+Quote this post
finally
post 3rd November 2015, 07:36 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 15,505
QUOTE(truly talented @ Nov 3 2015, 04:10 PM) *
Glad keeping out of the spoilers paid off Jean. I'm sure you'll agree he just gets better and better. cheer.gif

He does, his voice was just amazing wub.gif heart.gif

+Quote this post
truly talented
post 4th November 2015, 03:57 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
‏@will_young31
#LoveRevolutionTour merch now available online!! http://po.st/LoveRevTourMerch

+Quote this post
truly talented
post 4th November 2015, 04:02 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Swindon Advertiser Interview.

Will enjoys being not-so Young now

Reported by Marion Sauvebois 4.11.2015

The first Pop Idol champion tells MARION SAUVEBOIS about his sixth album and
how age has made him think about life differently in and out of the studio

IN a youth-fixated world where pop stars guard their birth certificates like Gollum the One Ring, Will Young is a refreshing anomaly.

The singer offers his age unprompted before waxing lyrical about the joys of becoming a bona fide adult.

“I love getting older, I love it, it’s the best thing ever,” he booms. “I’m becoming more and more an adult. If at 36 I was still operating as a child that would be a bit worrying,” he laughs.”

The past three years heralded sweeping change for Young.

He took a protracted hiatus from music, penned an autobiography, was nominated for an Olivier Award for his performance in Cabaret, filtered his political views through his Huffington Post blog, and moved to a new label, Island Records.

His sixth opus, 85% Proof, is testament to this blessed upheaval and is an undeniable departure from more intimate and vulnerable albums, though in true Young form he still occasionally slopes inward.

“When I do an album I don’t really think about or try to do anything but looking back there are two really strong themes in this album, universally looking towards connecting people through love and happiness and looking more inward at addressing the fact that one can overcome certain difficulties by just seeing how great they are on the inside. It was more about embracing a wider net of what got me ticking.”

An eclectic blend of joyous, clap-heavy old school R&B, 1970s pastoral folk, country music, disco and straight pop ballads, 85% Proof is the fruit of a carefree experimentation where lyrics were written before the melody.

“We didn’t want to fit lyrics into melodies anymore, we wanted to write the words first and that’s how every song came about,” he says. “It was a completely different way of writing that I’d never done before.

“There are more song-writery kinds of songs, like Gold, Like A River and Thank You and then there’s the unashamed embracing of the three-minute pop song with Love Revolution and Joy. The two worlds collide.”

Returning to the studio after a long absence, by industry standards, was almost instinctive. The words poured out of him in a marathon 10-day session.

“It was very natural,” he adds obviously thrilled. “It sort of came out. Because I spent a long time away from writing songs, I was very refreshed and just ready to do it. That all ties into finding my voice, I was finding what I wanted to say.”

An outspoken campaigner who has fought to end gay bullying in schools, his political agenda is echoed in his boldest track to date, Brave Man, especially its video which features a transgender man walking naked through the streets impervious to abuse from passers-by.

And yet despite such an outwardly engaged piece he sidesteps any suggestions of activism instead getting down to the the song’s broader implications.

“It’s very much about being your own person and how often in life we’re not allowed to or not told we can actually be ourselves,” he explains. “We have to fit into a box and that means we’re more easily malleable in society. Brave Man is about not fitting into a bracket and that’s what I’ve always been driven to do and what I think anyone can do.”

For all his praise of the three-minute pop song, he insists he has no interest in churning out fleeting head-bobbing hits.

“The message should always be important. If you come from that position, it will translate to others.

“Whether it’s a song like Brave Man or Joy, my belief in each song is the same. I didn’t write Joy thinking ‘Oh that will be an easy lyric to sing’.

“I wrote it because I firmly believe in the power of joy in life. I wrote Brave Man because I believe in the power of audacity and being a brave person.”

The confidence and utter ease in his voice are a far cry from the self-doubt and deep-rooted anxiety that once dogged the Pop Idol winner. He credits experience and time for his new-found assurance and self-reliance. “I’ve been doing it for 14 years now. And there is a certain amount of respect which comes with that, which I hadn’t expected. As a pop singer just by definition sticking around shows a sense of resilience and now I feel very relaxed. I’ve realised that I’m actually quite good at what I do.”

Will Young will perform at the Oasis on November 25. For tickets visit www.livenation.co.uk/artist/will-young-tickets.

+Quote this post
truly talented
post 5th November 2015, 02:18 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Great interview ahead of the Cambridge gig.

Cambridge News

Jude Clarke meets the affable original Pop Idol, Will Young, and talks rugby, self-discovery and the importance of career breaks.

Ooh, Jude? I don't meet many Judes!" My phone has just been put through to Will Young, and already he's chatting away like an old chum. The pop star and definite national treasure candidate seems grounded, affable and relaxed – everything that you would rather hope, from his on-screen persona, he would actually be in real life.

Maybe part of the reason he sounds so fresh and upbeat is that he is just back in the business after a three-year break. What has he gained from that time out, does he think?

"Well, I'd say I've gained a life, actually. I did a lot of self-discovery."

Glossing over the fact that he actually fell "quite ill" for part of this time too ("Yeah, I don't know if it would have [been a shorter break otherwise]actually"), this time out of the spotlight seems to have been well spent.

"I went travelling to Sri Lanka with my dad. I set up a website called My Vintage Journey where I sell bric-a-brac, vintage clothes and artisan things."

But why, I wonder, did he need to take that break?

"I had got to a stage where I was where I wanted to be in music, so it was time for a rethink. Those things are always really important, because I remind myself that I can do whatever I want to do. So I always make sure I'm doing something because I want to do it: otherwise I think it's pointless."

Perhaps Will also felt safe in risking some time away thanks to what seems – from the outside at least – to have been a remarkably smooth career progression to date. From winning the first UK Pop Idol crown back in 2002 (defeating the bookies' favourite, cute spiky-haired pop tyke Gareth Gates in the process: remember him?) he quickly and apparently seamlessly went on to a string of number one singles, five times platinum albums (2003's Friday's Child) and a rather successful sideline in film, stage and TV acting. He even bagged an Olivier Award nomination for his role in the musical Cabaret on the London stage. If he wasn't such a sweetheart, in fact, you could almost find it all a bit much.

So was everything really as easy as it's seemed, I wonder, or have there been rough patches too along the way?

"Yeah, I've definitely had times when I've wanted to totally quit. The first time was because I wasn't very happy in work. But then that didn't come from the right place, because I just wasn't very happy anyway. But I think, really, in the last eight to 10 years it HAS gone very smoothly."

What's his secret?

"I don't take it too seriously, and I think that's really important."

Perhaps aware that this might sound frivolous, though, Will quickly goes on to clarify.

"I mean, I do take [some] things seriously. Like: I've just done a video for a song called Brave Man, and it hasn't come out yet, but it's probably the best, the most important video that I've ever done. When you get to see it I hope you find it extremely powerful – because it is. With those kind of things I just think: I can't believe how lucky I am, to be able to do stuff like that, that I really believe can make a difference."

Since our conversation the video in question has come out. Sparking much animated debate on social media, it depicts a 19-year-old trans man undressing in a pub, then walking, naked, along a Brighton street, shielded only by Polariod photographs showing his pre-transition self. Extremely powerful, indeed – and a challenging and confrontational choice for an artist who could quite easily have just opted to stay within the safe confines of the more conventional pop vids and smash hit tunes that have served him so well to date.

"I think I've always done it my way, but with the help of others. With the people I've worked with closely for the last 10 years, we take it seriously when we need to, but it doesn't define us. Because otherwise . . . the world of being a performer can be so cruel, and really based on things that are so vacuous. If I made that who I was, I'd just be up and down the whole time, so I don't make it define me. And I think that's why I enjoy it so much."

And how did it feel getting back in the saddle after his extended break? Was it a bit of a struggle?

"No, it's been absolutely wonderful. I'm with Island Records now, and they really support my creativity, and really believe in the record" (85% Proof was released earlier this year and yes, once again, debuted at number one in the UK albums chart).

Despite the years of success, though, Will still manages to sound both delighted, relieved and grateful all at once with this album's reception.

"It's been interesting coming back after three years, because a lot has changed. There's less and less TV to perform on, and there's more and more competition to get on TV – it's quite a bunfight, in many ways. And I'm really really lucky, with the album going to number one, I really am really fortunate that after 14 years people want to listen to my music."

Perhaps the key to Will's very apparent contentment, in a vortex of fame that would surely have sucked most people under before now, is the diversity of his interests, and his enthusiastic engagement with life outside of the music industry. Our interview takes place during the Rugby World Cup, and, knowing he's a big rugby fan, I ask him how he's been enjoying the tournament.

"It's like the Glastonbury of rugby!" he enthuses. "I LOVED watching Japan against South Africa: that was amazing – probably the most amazing match I've ever seen. I was in Cornwall, on my own. It was a beautiful day, and I ended up at the end – and I'm not joking – on my knees in front of the TV, screaming for Japan. I think the dogs thought I was having a fit, or something."

It's an image that can't fail to raise a smile, and an anecdote that underlines the essential, genial ordinariness of this unstarry star. So what else is he up to at the moment, outside of music?

"Acting, and some writing, political stuff and charitable campaigning. I've been writing a lot about mental wellbeing: I'm writing a book – a sort of manual to life. Some of the proceeds will go to a mental health charity. And it's just really fun to write."

But all these other projects haven't deterred Will from picking up the reins of his musical career with renewed energy. He is voluble when asked about the forthcoming tour, clearly very much looking forward to it.

Of pre-show nerves he says: "Normally, before I go on stage I say to my manager 'I hate you, I don't know why I do this.' And then I walk on stage and I'm absolutely fine. It's me but it's not me: I go to a slightly different place, and become a performer, and basically show off."

He continues, more excitedly: "Touring is like going on a second date. You kind of know the person, but you're not sure what you're getting. And then by the end it's just like a big party and you think: yeah, this is brilliant!"

So do you "pull", I ask, mischievously?

"Basically it ends in marriage. From second date to marriage, in an hour and a half! A tour is a real buzz, you know. I want to take it out to the people who buy it. It's so great to go and see them and have this interaction."

So lucky us. Will Young, affable rugby fan, original Pop Idol, actor, writer, activist, entertainer and musician is back on the road, coming to town and looking to tie the knot. Snap him up.

Will Young's new single, Brave Man, and current album, 85% Proof, are available now.

Will Young, Cambridge Corn Exchange, Thursday, November 5, 7.30pm. Tickets £37.50 from cambridgelivetrust.co.uk / (01223) 357851.

+Quote this post
truly talented
post 5th November 2015, 02:30 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
This pic from Brum really captures the atmosphere.

+Quote this post
truly talented
post 6th November 2015, 09:51 AM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Some brilliant tweets with pics from Cambridge last night. cheer.gif Will just post this one that captures the atmosphere.

Nicky @Nicky_Paton
omg we went to see @will_young31 tonight and he was AMAZING! absolutely slayed it. 👯 pic.twitter.com/4dHid0Jx3a

+Quote this post
truly talented
post 9th November 2015, 05:11 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Will may not be too well but it doesn't seem to be affecting his performance. Just a few of the many brilliant tweets. biggrin.gif

DDoyle
‏@Danidoyle
@will_young31 Just to say Thanks for a great show last night in Dublin, and to do it with Man Flu shows what a true professional you are.x
Tommy Q @Tommytellstales
@will_young31 WOW you said you were ill and you blew the roof off the Olympia 🎉🎉🎉 #LoveRevolutionTour ❤️
11:04 PM - 8 Nov 2015

+Quote this post
truly talented
post 12th November 2015, 07:59 AM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Will was nothing short of sensational last night in Newcastle, putting his heart and soul into every performance. yahoo.gif The audience were up for a good night right from the off and Will fed off their banter and enthusiasm commenting on how quick they were in responding to his wacky sense of humour. Of course it goes without saying that he was pitch perfect, in his element working every inch of the stage.

Before the gig we got talking to a couple in the bar. The man said although Echoes was one of his favourite albums he'd never seen Will live. He enquired what he could expect from the concert. He said he'd seen many artists lately, Jess Glynn being one and although he'd enjoyed her singing, he was very bored as she just stood there. I assured him that would not be the case with Will. When we took to our seats I spotted him in the opposite side balcony and we waved to each other. I had hoped to catch him afterwards to hear his thoughts. I didn't need to he was up on his feet throughout the the concert appreciating every note. In fact I feared he would leap down onto the stage when he heard the opening bars of Runnaway. Watching such a reaction from a first timer really made my night.

The audience was very mixed last night. Don't think I ever remember seeing so many men of all ages at a Will concert. Made me smile spotting a group of young men in their early 20's leaving the gig, one was wearing his Will Young t shirt with pride.

Can't wait to read the Chronicle review,from the tweets and pics, the reporter seemed mightily impressed.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/mu...e-city-10427884

This post has been edited by truly talented: 12th November 2015, 08:31 AM

+Quote this post
truly talented
post 12th November 2015, 08:55 AM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Will YoungVerified account
‏@will_young31
Wonderful show Newcastle !!!

+Quote this post
Dianne
post 12th November 2015, 04:43 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 454
Amazing evening at Newcastle last night, the atmosphere at the concert was buzzing from the beginning and Will was the best I have ever heard him at a gig, his voice was as always on top form and his banter with the crowd was hilarious laugh.gif The Newcastle people gave Will and his band and backing singers such a warm welcome, the applause at the end of the concert nearly took the roof off, such a lovely thing to witness biggrin.gif

Roll on Birmingham dance.gif

+Quote this post
Sunday
post 12th November 2015, 04:57 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 91
Thanks TT and Diane glad you both had a brilliant time and took the time to tell us about it cheer.gif

+Quote this post
truly talented
post 13th November 2015, 08:39 AM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
The Gazette

Will is back at resort.

10:10Thursday 12 November 2015

Will Young makes his return visit to Blackpool, after time out from the music industry, this weekend.

But it still seems like he’s never been away, having kept busy on stage in the four year break that came before the release of album 85% Proof earlier this year.

His last trip to the resort was actually during that break from music, in November 2013, when he played a highly-acclaimed Emcee in Cabaret - picking up an Olivier Award for his efforts.

After moving to new label, Island Records, he went back into the recording studio last summer, creating 85% Proof in just over just five sessions between June and September last year.

“This is a way more inclusive record; less introverted and more this is life, this is what happens’,” he said.

“A lot of my other records have been a bit poor me’ and I’m not in that place so it wasn’t really inspiring me.”

Blackpool’s Opera House date comes exactly half way through the tour, with Will having spoken of his affection for the place when he last came.

At the time he said: “I’ve played several gigs in Blackpool over the years and I think the place has a real charm.

“There is nowhere else like it in the world I would say. It has a kind of heritage which is so specific.”

* Will Young, Opera House, Blackpool, Saturday. Visit www.wintergardensblackpool.co.uk to book.

Read more: http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/what-s-o...4#ixzz3rLkK33i5

+Quote this post
munchkin
post 13th November 2015, 03:07 PM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 127
Thanks girls - never disappoints does he wub.gif

+Quote this post
suggy
post 13th November 2015, 09:27 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Thanks TT for your lovely report back cheer.gif and so pleased you had a great time too Dianne. dance.gif

+Quote this post
truly talented
post 20th November 2015, 12:01 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
BBC Radio Bristol

@bbcrb: Playing @Will_Young31 songs and chatting to the man on the @ThinkTwink show at 2.40pm. He's at @Colston_Hall tonight https://t.co/wKpS0HCffq

+Quote this post
suggy
post 22nd November 2015, 11:00 AM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pumped up with painkillers and ready to go, see all who's going in Manchester! dancing.gif cheer.gif yahoo.gif

+Quote this post
Sunday
post 22nd November 2015, 06:09 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 91
QUOTE(suggy @ Nov 22 2015, 11:00 AM) *
Pumped up with painkillers and ready to go, see all who's going in Manchester! dancing.gif cheer.gif yahoo.gif

Poor you i didn't realise you were still not well Suggy friends.gif

See you later cheer.gif

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 07:58 AM