BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Chez 20 for 2020, Finished!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Chez Wombat
post Dec 29 2020, 10:17 PM
Post #21
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

14. Hurtsfall – 12 Long Years

We have what is now my favourite discovery from BJSC this year! Truth be told, I haven't returned to songs from there as much this year so I haven't kept as much of an eye on my favourites, but this is the one with the biggest play count sooo I guess that figures. This is wonderful anyway, maintaining an ominous atmosphere through a great mix of murky and mysterious synths and suitably grimaced vocals singing some sort of twisted folk tale of some sort. It brings to mind mid-00s indie acts like the Editors and The Bravery with a hint of 80s synths about it and it really works well and pulls you in constantly with that repeated refrain in the chorus. Not exactly the feelgood piece of music, but music can be really effective when it wallows in despair and mystery and this one hit just right.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brer
post Dec 30 2020, 02:13 AM
Post #22
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
'12 Long Years' is definitely up there with my fave discoveries from BJSC this year too wub.gif

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Dec 30 2020, 04:23 AM
Post #23
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
Same for me, '12 Long Years' is fantastic in how relentless it makes its murky atmosphere <3

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Jan 5 2021, 09:22 PM
Post #24
Group icon
Great to see the love for this wub.gif

oops this fell to the second page, moving on x

-x-

13. Joywave - Half Your Age

My experience of Joywave before this year was mainly the song Tongues, sent to Unknown Pleasures a while back, and revisiting that did remind me how great a song this is. Apple must have picked this up as a lot of songs from them appeared in my Recommended, Like a Kennedy was cool, but my affections did mainly sit with this one. Mainly for the absolute earworm of a chorus that ensured that I was humming this for a good chunk of the year, but I do also really like the lyrics, especially as I have been getting a little scared at how little of my 20s I have left with...so much more I want to do, but let's save that existential crisis for another day yeah x 'All your heroes are half your age' and the general 'oh I'll do it later, got a while yet' can be a damaging attitude and put in an indie pop song like this exemplifies how many would feel the same, and let's face it as you get older, you ALWAYS start to gape at how the newest music you're loving is by someone way younger than you. Lyrically and melodically wonderful, this was another good one from Joywave from a band that I'm very glad I vaguely remembered the existence of this year x

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Jan 5 2021, 09:31 PM
Post #25
Group icon

12. Taylor Swift – epiphany

As I mentioned in my commentary for Folklore, it's quite hard to pick a single highlight from an album that was clearly meant to be taken as a whole body of work rather than the sum of its parts, exile wasn't too far off, a great duet with Bonnie Bear with some beautiful lyricism and this is me trying I find rather underrated as a whole. But in the end, upon relistening, epiphany definitely stands above them and a very good representation of the sonically and lyrically beautiful parts of the album. Wistful strings and organ fit beautifully with her subdued and ethereal voice to create a truly beautiful atmosphere. Written about her grandfather's experience in the military, it deals with (at least according to Genius) someone finding peace in their dreams despite living in a world of chaos, which really is a great sum of the whole album as this beautiful, melancholy relief in the shitshow that was 2020. Whether listened with the album or without it, it's beautiful and a crowning moment for Ms Swift, well done for not getting on my nerves this year!

(yet to listen to Evermore, wasn't as sold on the singles I've heard but I'll make sure to check it out x)

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Jan 5 2021, 09:43 PM
Post #26
Group icon

11. LAAKE - Run

It was technically the tail end of 2019/start of 2020, I started really checking out the eclectic piano led neo-classical outings of French artist LAAKE and that was mainly down to his excellent piano led, Introspective which I sent to BJSC, with a beautifully shot video in Reykjavik and a constantly building melody, it's a gorgeous instrumental, but it is technically three years old, so I haven't included here for recentness sake. Lucky for me then, that this came at a time when he was just releasing new music, and this number had every bit of neo-classical beauty as the Introspective did, starting with a light mellow key, it gradually builds on one melody with pianos, strings, synths and even light choral vocals to create something that truly does pull you in the longer goes. One could say the more urgent cousin to Introspective despite being three years old, but to me, it just told me that this Frenchmen was worth checking out more. I would highly recommend his album O if you like this kind of neo-classical, experimental sound, there is plenty of bleeps and bloops and rather wonderful sounds throughout, and a surprising amount of diversity given what I already knew, even a bit of hip hop is present! But even if not, do check out this one, it's an eviscerating listen that should not be forgotten.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Jan 16 2021, 07:04 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Top 10 time!

10. Sufjan Stevens – My Rajneesh

As wonderful as his album was, I must confess that my favourite Sufjan song this year and what reminded me of how wonderful he was and that I really should stop delaying checking out his new material was the beautiful My Rajneesh, which sadly never featured on his album. Ten minutes in length, it is about the Rajneesh movement, founded by Hindi mystic Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh. They founded a utopian community in the US state of Oregon, and in 1984, launched the biggest bio-attack in US history, which poisoned hundreds in their local community with salmonella, thankfully, once he was caught and the community disbanded, things became a little more positive (thanks NME). The song itself is clever in that it starts off very worldly and uplifting with a choir and a beautiful melody throughout, before gradually becoming much more unconventional in style with more harsh instrumentals, cryptic lyrics and tones, presumably depicting the hostile turn the cult took. It's a beautiful song in both portraying it's subject matter and even divorced from that, it's marvel to see how it changes throughout and so gorgeously composed with a plethora of instruments electronic, classical and folk. It's got a little something for everyone, as good as the album was, it would've really benefitted from this being here.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jan 16 2021, 07:33 PM
Post #28
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
12 Long Years was a great discovery from BJSC, when I first heard it I assumed it was an older entry so was surprised to find it was from this year! Giving RUN a listen now, a nice-sounding instumental, enjoy the way it builds throughout the song.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Jan 16 2021, 08:35 PM
Post #29
Group icon

9. Fractal Dreamers – Azure of the Horizon

Fractal Dreamers, an orchestral dance project from Sweden who have also done music under Helblinde, were one of my favourite online discoveries of the 2010s and the Kingdom of Silence EP is just screaming to be made into an epic fantasy film, so I was beyond hyped when I saw that they had new music out at the tail end of 2019 (they still count here tho, however long ago that seems). The EP, Azure of the Horizon, didn't disappoint, much more embracing of the orchestral side than the last one, but that's no bad thing. The title track is a masterclass in epic soundscape, from it's frantic strings gradually giving way to an explosion of synths, it's a perfect example of the wonders of combining orchestral and electronic music. I also sent it to BJSC on here so it was nice to get an additional success after Club Bizarre/Halloween, and I probably will keep going whenever they next release music x They remain a mysterious presence, but it's the kind of inspiring, underground, made-for-TV sound I love and I hope they keep giving.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Jan 16 2021, 08:37 PM
Post #30
Group icon
QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Jan 16 2021, 07:33 PM) *
12 Long Years was a great discovery from BJSC, when I first heard it I assumed it was an older entry so was surprised to find it was from this year! Giving RUN a listen now, a nice-sounding instumental, enjoy the way it builds throughout the song.

Glad you like Run! 12 Long Years does certainly have a distinctive sound, shame to see them have so few recognition outside of the internet world!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Jan 17 2021, 05:32 AM
Post #31
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
Incredible start to the top 10 with 'My Rajneesh', I'd been meaning to look into the lore of that for when I write about it in my own EOY, so that's very interesting, even without that context, the lyrics have always been very powerful for me just with the clearly spiritual and historical connections.

Love Azure Of The Horizon too, that often seems to turn up on shuffle for me, great tune.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Jan 17 2021, 05:52 PM
Post #32
Group icon
Ooh, I will be awaiting your post on Sufjan!

-x-

8. Active Child – Painted Staircase

Again, I'm gonna be more left field with my choice of favourites from an already quite left field artist, call me ultra-left. I have always enjoyed Active Child from what I've heard of him in BJSC, being a mainstream hoe at the time, it was Ellie Goulding's cover of Hanging On which introduced me to him, but I confess that I was still waiting after that for something to really wow me. But it was this moment that truly stood out to me as being that song. It already had a colourful and mystical title, but the soaring strings combined with the hushed delivery of the vocals are really quite spellbinding and weirdly calming effect, it's the best way to convey this dark, emotional sound. It's a mesmerising experience and I'm kinda sad it wasn't pushed more (though it has apparently been picked up as trailer music). Nonetheless, it was one of the go-to songs in the Spring and still sounds wonderful now.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Jan 17 2021, 06:07 PM
Post #33
Group icon

7. Dua Lipa - Physical

OK, I guess I'll put a popular song here there may be one more to come, while the charts are almost 90% not for me, you do still get the odd gem - and anything that has been tagged an '80s throwback' is definitely gonna get my attention. I do actually like Dua Lipa's music most of the time and have featured them in my past EOYs so I'm down with her being the current big female star, and this was one Buzzjack circlejerk I could get behind (sorry Rain on Me). I am actually rather proud of the UK for getting behind this as this kind of synthwave sound isn't something I'd associate with the mainstream, nonetheless, it reminds me a lot of the various wonderful New Retro Wave discoveries with it's relentless synths, it also helps with that undeniable and huge chorus which elevates it to anthem status. I don't anticipate it sparking any kind of interest in 80s synthwave (although c'mon public, check out the Midnight), but anomaly or not, it was wonderful to see a sound I thought was only appreciated on small internet places make it big, and actually a hit song I like.

+Quote this post
Brer
post Jan 17 2021, 10:57 PM
Post #34
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
'Painted Staircase' is a nice choice from the Active Child album - admittedly not one I've really gone back to though ('Color Me' was my album track of choice but iirc that was my 2nd fave outside of the singles). Loved 'Azure Of The Horizon' in BJSC of course, the Joywave song was also good fun (scraped my top 40 at the time) and 'Physical' and 'epiphany' are some strong less obscure picks here - stanning 'Physical' may be a normie opinion on BuzzJack but hey there's a reason everyone loves it x

I'd definitely say 'evermore' is worth a listen, at least check out 'marjorie' which is sort of like a sister track to 'epiphany' in a way (it's another song about one of her grandparents and has been similarly mostly overlooked by the general public x).

Sufjan's album was a favourite for me but I never went back to 'My Rajneesh' after the first listen due to it not actually being included on the album, I probably should revisit it at some point.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Jan 18 2021, 10:51 PM
Post #35
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
Hi Chez hi.gif heart.gif

First, unrelated but something I had to let you know in a music countdown setting - I got around to 'Hounds of Love' ohmy.gif and it was brilliant, I was so taken aback by the dark shift in theme as the album progressed. Also listened to 'Purple Rain' from the list you reviewed as I was in a bit of an 80s mood after that and it was also really up my street <3 so I belatedly agree with your high scorings for both of those two and 'Disintegration'. Right, now getting back to the present day... laugh.gif

'Rain On Me' shade, tut tut x But that aside - I'm soooo glad that 'Physical' ranks so high in your estimations as even the force of Ari and Gaga couldn't beat that as my favourite song of 2020 <3 the synthwave production you point out is an absolute dream. Also love that you have selected 'epiphany' as a 'folklore' highlight as it was the same for me. Really beautiful storytelling and quite left-field vocal production. Here for the 'folklore' (and '1989'!) praise in general.

Hyped for the #1!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jan 19 2021, 07:21 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Unfortunately Physical was my least favourite of the Dua songs by quite a way whoops, not bad by any means, just never really clicked with me. Painted Staircase is sounding quite nice though, I do like those vocals and those strings towards the end!

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Jan 30 2021, 06:34 PM
Post #37
Group icon
QUOTE(Bré @ Jan 17 2021, 10:57 PM) *
'Painted Staircase' is a nice choice from the Active Child album - admittedly not one I've really gone back to though ('Color Me' was my album track of choice but iirc that was my 2nd fave outside of the singles). Loved 'Azure Of The Horizon' in BJSC of course, the Joywave song was also good fun (scraped my top 40 at the time) and 'Physical' and 'epiphany' are some strong less obscure picks here - stanning 'Physical' may be a normie opinion on BuzzJack but hey there's a reason everyone loves it x

I'd definitely say 'evermore' is worth a listen, at least check out 'marjorie' which is sort of like a sister track to 'epiphany' in a way (it's another song about one of her grandparents and has been similarly mostly overlooked by the general public x).

Sufjan's album was a favourite for me but I never went back to 'My Rajneesh' after the first listen due to it not actually being included on the album, I probably should revisit it at some point.

Literally an album track from Evermore pops up on my Recommended every week so safe to say I probably will listen to it all at some point laugh.gif I did enjoy all of Sufjan's album too, but My Rajneesh stood out to me in particular and looking up the history has made it resonate even more.

QUOTE(Jade @ Jan 18 2021, 10:51 PM) *
Hi Chez hi.gif heart.gif

First, unrelated but something I had to let you know in a music countdown setting - I got around to 'Hounds of Love' ohmy.gif and it was brilliant, I was so taken aback by the dark shift in theme as the album progressed. Also listened to 'Purple Rain' from the list you reviewed as I was in a bit of an 80s mood after that and it was also really up my street <3 so I belatedly agree with your high scorings for both of those two and 'Disintegration'. Right, now getting back to the present day... laugh.gif

'Rain On Me' shade, tut tut x But that aside - I'm soooo glad that 'Physical' ranks so high in your estimations as even the force of Ari and Gaga couldn't beat that as my favourite song of 2020 <3 the synthwave production you point out is an absolute dream. Also love that you have selected 'epiphany' as a 'folklore' highlight as it was the same for me. Really beautiful storytelling and quite left-field vocal production. Here for the 'folklore' (and '1989'!) praise in general.

Hyped for the #1!

Ooh that's wonderful to hear, Jade! It absolutely bowled me over as well when I first heard it too and looking it up and the story behind it was even better, all the innovative styles and unique melodies have definitely painted it one of my favourite ever albums, Purple Rain and Disintegration also had incredible soundscapes too so really pleased you agree. I honestly think you'd like all of my 9/10 rated albums on that list if you haven't already heard them, I trust you to know great music when you hear it cool.gif

I don't dislike Rain on Me, I just didn't quite get the huge love for it. It's got some nice production and positive vibes, but it needed a better drop.

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Jan 19 2021, 07:21 PM) *
Unfortunately Physical was my least favourite of the Dua songs by quite a way whoops, not bad by any means, just never really clicked with me. Painted Staircase is sounding quite nice though, I do like those vocals and those strings towards the end!

ohmy.gif not an opinion I hear often x Thanks for checking out Active Child though!

Thanks for sticking with me guys, as this beastly month ends, let's start the top 5!

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Jan 30 2021, 06:47 PM
Post #38
Group icon

5. FalKKonE feat. Rena – Simarik (Kiss Kiss)

One artist that really stuck with me throughout the year with FalKKonE, I generally really like symphonic metal and this guy seems to specialise in metal reworkings of various media (mostly anime/gaming so I'm unfamiliar with the themes) and songs, but it's generally done in a really addictive way, the production is generally all over the place but that's the style he goes for and I really live for his troll moments like versions of Ieven Polkka, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik (BJSC smasha x) and the Thomas the Tank Engine theme, but he is a capable musician and some of his string-guitar combinations really hit home well, like his version of Agni Kai which honestly hits harder than the show's theme. The best was between my Nuggets entry Licht und Schatten for its beautiful strings, but in the end, I feel this version of Simarik (better known to most of you as Kiss Kiss) really adds something new to the original and Rena's grasp of Turkish is very impressive (in fact she is quite multilingual going by her vocal performances in other songs) and adds a real intensity which you'd expect to see in a passionate song like this. I came back to FalKKonE a lot this year and craziness like this is a good example why - it was a why crazy year so this was the perfect tonic x

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Jan 30 2021, 07:03 PM
Post #39
Group icon

4. Pale Blue – Breathe

This was one of those songs that just hit me so much on first listen, it's one of the most striking, dark and intense songs I've heard all year and through repeated listens, it's power just grew more. This song was released in tandem with I Walk Alone with Acid and if you listen to both tracks, you can clearly hear the very dark narrative going on through both. Dealing with issues of abuse to women in unhealthy relationships both physically and emotionally, they both really capture that incredibly dark and horrifying feeling of being trapped and vengeful, both are wonderful but it was the incredible structure of Breathe that really won me over. Starting out on a gradually expanding acid house bassline with pain-laden, consumed constant calls of 'burning fire and blood/I just want to breathe' before the music cuts out entirely and just her vocals are left - if you were in any doubt of the pain and suffering present in her vocals, it's very clear here, it really made me visibly stop when I heard it, when the beat kicks back in, the bassline has a more eerie pitch to it and a spoken word vocal with anger visibly rising returns and ends with a desire to 'get her power back' before the beat again cuts out and we are left with just her vocals again. It's such a powerful and invigorating listen, it doesn't sugarcoat anything when it comes to its subject matter and it matches that intensity with a murky acid style that I'm really into anyway. I'm still captivated by it now. FUCK YOU BJSC. pirate.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jan 30 2021, 07:40 PM
Post #40
Group icon
Giving Breathe a play now, I can see why this is something you are into! I think I understand it a bit more now I've read your commentary on it, the bit where the beat cuts out really is haunting.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:43 PM