BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The days of CD singles, What do you miss most?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Padamic Tension
post Feb 28 2020, 01:35 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Members
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

What does everyone miss most about the times of the cd single releases. The light years through to aphrodite eras were a brilliant time for kylie cd singles, vinyl, dvd singles etc, what do you now miss most and what are your best memories of the releases.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pippa
post Feb 28 2020, 01:29 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

I miss quite alot about cd singles.
Back in those days Kylie was almost guranteed a Top 10 single, but it was waiting for the announcement of what extras that would come with the release is what i miss.
For the 2 cd version release i miss the cd with a new b side or live recordings.
The other cd i was less excited about as it usually contained just remixes.

+Quote Post
adancing
post Feb 28 2020, 11:28 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 9,437
   No Gallery Pics

Its the era I grew up with, I loved discovering how the single art work would look like, whats the bside or instrumental or remix, it was all part of the excitement and it felt authentic, to buy the song and actually holding something in your hands and playing it, not doing everything over a stupid phone...
The charts had a meaning, they really translated the amount of sales and were accurate, today its like a big joke, with the streaming, the rules, etc...

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Feb 28 2020, 11:57 PM
Post #4
Break the tension
Member No.: 51

Going into HMV at my first possible opportunity on the week she'd release a new single, buy CD1 + CD2 of it. Getting a b-side with most of the singles.

It was such a better time. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post Feb 29 2020, 02:28 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Idol
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Feb 28 2020, 11:57 PM) *
Going into HMV at my first possible opportunity on the week she'd release a new single, buy CD1 + CD2 of it. Getting a b-side with most of the singles.

It was such a better time. sad.gif

I loved that feeling of getting both cds on release week, I live in a remote part of the west of ireland and getting both cds at the same time was exciting.

+Quote Post
slowdown73
post Feb 29 2020, 05:47 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 1,031
   No Gallery Pics

Mainly getting B sides. I do miss the CD single era. I don’t stream at all but will occasionally download but it’s definately not the same feeling.

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post Feb 29 2020, 06:52 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Idol
   No Gallery Pics

There is no excitement to buying singles anymore with the exception of when artists occasionally release physicals, the dancing vinyl was great.

+Quote Post
Monzo
post Mar 1 2020, 08:05 AM
Post #8
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 349
   No Gallery Pics

It was a beautiful time. I remember going downtown to the local store to get a copy of Kylie album or single on release day.

I really miss having Kylie cd singles in my cd shelf. "Into The Blue" is my final one, I wish she would have released a cd single for "Dancing" and would have continued that way with every new lead single.

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post Mar 1 2020, 02:54 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Idol
   No Gallery Pics

Ya the lead single would especially sell decently with cds and also a vinyl, her fans and me included love these kinda things. I really think on impact week she should push pyhisical sales. I loved the dvd singles during the fever era they were added bonuses to the cds and vinyl. I miss the excitement of release day rushing out to get all the formats.

+Quote Post
pippa
post Mar 2 2020, 04:37 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Chaisng the physical market for the lead single i strongly feel would pay off for Kylie ane would help achieve a higher peak position.
I think if handled correctly, it would give Kylie a strong chance of having another Top 40 hit.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Mar 2 2020, 05:45 PM
Post #11
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

What I miss most about the days of CD singles are the extra b-sides, especially Kylie's as she had some amazing ones during the 00's. Just look at this list below of all her B-Sides (excluding official album tracks), released during the 2000-2010 period =

1. Paper Dolls [Spinning Around]
2. Cover Me With Kisses [Spinning Around]
3. Ocean Blue [On A Night Like This]
4. Good Life [Please Stay]
5. Boy [Can't Get You Out of my Head]
6. Rendezvous At Sunset [Can't Get You Out of my Head]
7. Tightrope [In Your Eyes]
8. Good Like That [In Your Eyes]
9. Never Spoken [In Your Eyes]
10. Harmony [In Your Eyes]
11. Baby [Love At First Sight]
12. Soul On Fire [Slow]
13. Almost A Lover [Red Blooded Woman]
14. Cruise Control [Red Blooded Woman]
15. City Games [Chocolate]
16. B.P.M. [I Believe In You]
17. Made of Glass [Giving You Up]
18. King or Queen [2 Hearts]
19. I Don't Know What It Is [2 Hearts]
20. Cherry Bomb [Wow]
21. Carried Away [Wow]
22. Do It Again [Wow]
23. Go Hard or Go Home [All The Lovers]
24. Silence [Put Your Hands Up (If You Feel Love)]
25. Sparks [Into The Blue]

Some fantastic material, some of Kylie's finest work here especially from both the 'Fever' & 'X' eras, as several of these were strong enough to be their respective albums themselves.

Added 'Sparks' just to complete the list.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Mar 3 2020, 01:34 PM

+Quote Post
Monzo
post Mar 2 2020, 06:01 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 349
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks for the list of b-sides! Tightrope is my favorite.

+Quote Post
pippa
post Mar 2 2020, 08:09 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

That list would for make such a great album.
We were so lucky with so many excellent b side on the singles.

This post has been edited by pippa: Mar 3 2020, 12:05 PM

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post Mar 3 2020, 12:09 AM
Post #14
BuzzJack Idol
   No Gallery Pics

There are some brilliant songs in that list.

+Quote Post
pippa
post Mar 3 2020, 12:05 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Kylie has such an extensive range of material to truly offer fans a really special fan release album.
Her rarities, b sides and left over tracks are of plenty and could see such a strong release made from it.

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post Mar 3 2020, 01:13 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Idol
   No Gallery Pics

Yes but I really dont think it will ever happen.

+Quote Post
pippa
post Mar 3 2020, 03:07 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Maybe not, but i will live in hope it will in some version.

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post Mar 4 2020, 01:19 AM
Post #18
BuzzJack Idol
   No Gallery Pics

As time moves on its becoming less likely but another hits plus style release would be great.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Mar 7 2020, 09:10 AM
Post #19
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

I really miss the era of physical singles! I get so nostalgic about it.

It was always exciting as a fan to find out what the cover artworks would look like, and what the track lists would be. Then there was the build up to the release date, the anticipation of finally being able to buy them. You could find singles in numerous different shops, HMV, Our Price, Woolworths, WHSmiths, independent record shops, supermarkets...! I remember the big displays that these shops would dedicate to singles... the new releases, the releases currently in the chart, and then there would be bargain bins full of older singles... *.*

When I was a child/teen I rarely had the opportunity to go to London. For some reason my parents needed to visit in 2001, and I remember going into HMV in Oxford Street and being amazed by it! So much floor space was dedicated to singles, ones that were years old, and I found it pretty thrilling to be able to look through the releases of my favourite artists of the time. I was only 13 and severely limited in how much I could afford though... i.e. hardly anything. kink.gif

By the time an artist released their single, the main track had usually been on radio and TV channels for 6 weeks or more. However, pre-illegal downloading, it was the first opportunity to play the full song in high quality, rather than a recording of it from the radio or music channels, so it was worth the wait. B Sides would provide something completely new to listen to, which added to making the purchase of a CD single feel very worthwhile (particularly for post-album singles).

The slightly unfortunate thing when it comes to my personal experience of the physical singles era, is that if you grow up with that being the way things are, you just assume that's how things will always be... you take it for granted. So although I really enjoyed that time, I didn't really savour it, if that makes sense. It's only with hindsight that I consider it to have been a truly special time. It's funny to think that most people under 20 will have vague or no memories of the physical singles era... they'll never know what it was like to be a fan of artists during that era. Everything is instant and online nowadays, and I feel like an element of enjoyment has been lost with that.

I know that some artists occasionally release physicals nowadays, via their online shops. However that isn't quite as exciting as being able to go to a shop and see them all in front of you. Plus they're much more expensive nowadays, and sometimes take weeks or even months to be sent to you. The amount of artists releasing physical singles that only have 1 track on them too... it's honestly a rip off. Although if Kylie had done CD singles for her Golden era singles, I would have ordered all of them, of course!

I really enjoyed building up my collection of Kylie singles from 2000 to 2014, and it was sad when that came to an end. The Dancing 7" was very nice, but its existence made me wish that there was a CD single, and then I felt let down when her other singles didn't have any formats.

+Quote Post
___∆___
post Mar 7 2020, 01:48 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 3,155

I miss the anticipation of a new single, waiting weeks for it to actually be released and then going into Our Price/HMV/Virgin/Zavvi or Woolworths on the day of release to buy CD1, CD2, Cassette and in some cases a DVD single.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:47 AM