BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Snap Election Drill
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Silas
post 20th May 2018, 12:53 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

J-Drives on stand-by everyone!!!

https://t.co/LGr5GkZ3F6

Our friends at the Times are reporting that the Tories are gearing up for an Autumn snap-election.

Because another one of those is exactly what we need. The fixed term parliament act should just be binned it's clearly entirely useless.

I wonder if this was the Tory party instructions to May:

thinking.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
danG
post 20th May 2018, 01:08 PM
Post #2
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

You're joking. Not another one. For god's sake.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 20th May 2018, 01:12 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364

QUOTE(danG @ May 20 2018, 02:08 PM) *
You're joking. Not another one. For god's sake.

And it's not even Apr 1st. tongue.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 20th May 2018, 01:23 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

At least I'd be able to vote in this one!

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 20th May 2018, 01:24 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

Sceptical Brett is sceptical that this is going to happen, but I can see the logic behind why the Conservatives would go for it. Since the last General Election, Jeremy Corbyn's popularity with the public has sharply decreased from being even with Theresa May to just 25% (Theresa May's popularity has remained somewhat consistent, at around 40%), so they may be trying to capitalize on that, although that tactic didn't work last time.

The question is though, would there be enough support amongst MPs for a 2/3 majority for a new election if the Conservatives were to call fresh elections? Because I feel that there may be enough opposition to stop it from being pushed through.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 20th May 2018, 01:25 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Paul Hyett

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ May 20 2018, 02:24 PM) *
Sceptical Brett is sceptical that this is going to happen, but I can see the logic behind why the Conservatives would go for it. Since the last General Election, Jeremy Corbyn's popularity with the public has sharply decreased from being even with Theresa May to just 25% (Theresa May's popularity has remained somewhat consistent, at around 40%), so they may be trying to capitalize on that, although that tactic didn't work last time.

The question is though, would there be enough support amongst MPs for a 2/3 majority for a new election if the Conservatives were to call fresh elections? Because I feel that there may be enough opposition to stop it from being pushed through.

It depends how confident Corbyn is.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 20th May 2018, 01:31 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Queen of Soon

I get the feeling that Labour would vote with them thinking they could be the winners of the election

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 20th May 2018, 02:04 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Paul Hyett

QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ May 20 2018, 02:31 PM) *
I get the feeling that Labour would vote with them thinking they could be the winners of the election

I can't imagine the Tories would be as complacent or as badly prepared this time, though.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 20th May 2018, 02:31 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

+Quote this post
Silas
post 20th May 2018, 02:51 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Queen of Soon

QUOTE(vidcapper @ May 20 2018, 03:04 PM) *
I can't imagine the Tories would be as complacent or as badly prepared this time, though.

May is still the leader and she is truly useless at interacting with people who have a net worth of less than £150m. There’s no getting away from the fact that every public appearance by her is a PR disaster. It’s as if Terri Coverly is organising her press!

On the flip side, Corbyn seems to be at peak useful when on the campaign. It hides his inadequacies quite well (his lack of spine or Brexit stance)

If both parties could overthrow their leaders in the next fortnight that’d be champion

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 20th May 2018, 03:03 PM
Post #11
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161

If this goes ahead, then for once I'd go into a general election having genuinely no idea who would win. The Tories seem to have turned a small Labour lead from last year into a small lead for them, but obviously Labour's campaign did amazingly for them last time but you wouldn't think that would happen twice so I have no idea laugh.gif None of the two biggest parties are appealing much to me atm, obviously I support the SNP in Scotland but UK wide I'd like to see the Lib Dems do well and I think they could halt any progress Labour was making in the remain-Tory areas of the South East where they had the huge vote share gains last time, due to their hard Brexit policy.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 20th May 2018, 03:11 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Paul Hyett

Would it be even more of a two-party battle than last time?

What will happen to the 550k UKIP votes from 2017, I wonder?

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 20th May 2018, 03:14 PM
Post #13
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ May 20 2018, 01:53 PM) *
The fixed term parliament act should just be binned it's clearly entirely useless.

100% this!

Anyway we definitely won't be having a general election this year so don't worry folks.

+Quote this post
LexC
post 20th May 2018, 04:19 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342

Having read that Sunday Times article it seemed to be more based around the fact that Tory MPs were hedging their bets on whatever fudge Maybot brings back to them being such a mess that it would be voted down in the commons and thus would force a vote of no confidence in her which, to their credit, seems like a more plausible situation than them just rolling the dice again.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 20th May 2018, 07:05 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

A general election with 2 useless party leaders neither of whom have a clear policy on the most important issue facing our country since the War, and both leading a parties who are split on the issue, and asking for support from a country which is also equally split?

What could possibly go wrong?

On the plus side it'll f*** up Brexit again to the extent that the next election in 5 supposed years time will take place before a final vote on whatever deal is eventually settled with. Leaving time to get a party leader in place to take over from whichever of the 2 current party-numpties is dumped after the 2nd 2018 election.

If May loses she's history. If Corbyn loses he's a two-time loser and no amount of "he didn't do as badly as we all expected" will cover that with sticky tape. So a chance for someone with a clear idea of what to do for the best of the country to be elected in ready to take over as Brexit becomes obviously a huge mistake (5 years of downward economic activity on top of the last 2 should hammer the point home nicely....)

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 21st May 2018, 05:41 AM
Post #16
Group icon
Paul Hyett

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ May 20 2018, 08:05 PM) *
A general election with 2 useless party leaders neither of whom have a clear policy on the most important issue facing our country since the War, and both leading a parties who are split on the issue, and asking for support from a country which is also equally split?

What could possibly go wrong?

Whenever the next election is, that above situation isn't likely to change.

On the plus side it'll f*** up Brexit again to the extent that the next election in 5 supposed years time will take place before a final vote on whatever deal is eventually settled with. Leaving time to get a party leader in place to take over from whichever of the 2 current party-numpties is dumped after the 2nd 2018 election.
Did I miss one earlier in the year, then? smile.gif

If May loses she's history. If Corbyn loses he's a two-time loser and no amount of "he didn't do as badly as we all expected" will cover that with sticky tape. So a chance for someone with a clear idea of what to do for the best of the country to be elected in ready to take over as Brexit becomes obviously a huge mistake (5 years of downward economic activity on top of the last 2 should hammer the point home nicely....)

If Brexit were to go pear-shaped it wouldn't matter which party was in power - whichever it was would take the blame.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 21st May 2018, 07:07 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(vidcapper @ May 21 2018, 06:41 AM) *

If Brexit were to go pear-shaped it wouldn't matter which party was in power - whichever it was would take the blame.

Yes, which is why another election is pointless.

Tories will take the Blame whatever happens because they have adopted UKIP policies. Labour is trying to appear as if they are blameless and pure, as opposed to trying to limit the damage by actually doing something, and I expect they will get away with it unless they accidentally get into power. Corbyn will only get blamed personally if he runs the country and follows the same Hard Brexit line as the Tories (which is waht he wants, the man who called for the immediate triggering of article 50 the day after the referendum. Complete political dick then and no change since)

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 21st May 2018, 08:06 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(vidcapper @ May 21 2018, 06:41 AM) *

So why are the Tories and their friends in the press doing so much to convince people that the blame lies anywhere but with them?

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 21st May 2018, 08:08 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Paul Hyett

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ May 21 2018, 09:06 AM) *
So why are the Tories and their friends in the press doing so much to convince people that the blame lies anywhere but with them?

Because they are politicians. QED. tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 21st May 2018, 08:11 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(vidcapper @ May 21 2018, 09:08 AM) *
Because they are politicians. QED. tongue.gif

Too cynical for even me...