BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> KYLIE SINGLES RATE ● RESULTS
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
pippa
post May 18 2018, 05:41 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
From what i recall, Kids was never hugely popular with many fans from the start.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post May 18 2018, 10:08 PM
Post #42
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217
Kids definitely seems to be a favourite of her very casual fans or the public in general, whereas her hardcore fans seem beyond tired of it. And has been mentioned, it seems that dislike stems from it being a mainstay inclusion in her tour set lists!

I'm a bit ambivalent towards Kids - I certainly wouldn't miss it if was left off a set list, but at the same time I don't totally begrudge its inclusion either.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post May 19 2018, 02:38 AM
Post #43
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
Santa Baby - Never all that familiar with the original, but Kylie totally owns it now, turning it into a classy, sexy X-Mas Kylie classic that has thankfully won more fans each year, especially with it making the top 40 for the first time last year, making this quite a feat and won't be surprised if it climbs even higher this year. This has become her staple for the X-Mas market from now on and well deserved in my opinion with something that not only perfectly suits her persona, you can't imagine anyone else doing a better version of this ever again.

It's No Secret - Yep I knew that this was drop out very soon and do agree that this her weakest 80's offering. A nice little number and standout moment on her brilliant debut album. However it doesn't compare to the other singles from this album or 'Turn It Into Love' which should have been the 3rd US single instead of this. If this did get a UK release like planned, then it would have probably been another big hit for her, as it is a somewhat decent tune with Kylie at her girly best. Plus liked the little nod to 'The Loco-Motion' at the beginning of the music video.

Kids - I actually quite like this song, I know it's not quite considered a Kylie classic it's probably more Robbie sounding, but their chemistry really strong on here and really sizzles off their fantastic vocals, they really do play well of each other and it was always such an obvious single choice upon the album's release and became another smash hit for her that year, further cementing a very successful comeback year 2000 for her. At the time though I did get really sick of it, due to it being overplayed to death as well being featured on almost all of her tours since it's release and needs to be retired, hope it's not gonna be on her latest upcoming tour.

Cowboy Style - This track has grown on me more and more throughout the last couple of years and something that really comes to life when sung live especially on her 'Intimate And Live' concert as well as given a much stronger sound for it's single release which gives it more of an edge and I also like the guitar work and rich flowing melody on the production as well as it's country tinged sound, which makes this one of her most unique and forgotten gems in her discography. Even in it's original album form it's still one of the strongest and standout moments on her brilliant 'Impossible Princess' album and settles in nicely amongst other great moments such as 'Too Far', 'Breathe', 'Did It Again', 'Limbo' & 'Dreams'.

Better Than Today - Like I've always said, a good album track, but not a very good single choice which ended up killing era dead in it's tracks, which was such a shame especially considering that 'Aphrodite' was packed with so many gems that could have easily been much more successful such as - The title track of course, 'Closer', 'Everything Is Beautiful'. 'Cupid Boy' or even 'Can't Beat The Feeling'. With songs like these on one album they were spoilt for choice. My personal fave and choice for the 3rd release would have been 'Aphrodite' itself, as that was definitely one of the best songs on there. 'BTT' is okay enough, not awful by any means, it is a catchy fun poppy little number which should have stayed on the album, nothing more.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post May 19 2018, 02:44 AM
Post #44
Group icon
I predict that 'Put Your Hands Up' + 'At Christmas' may drop out in the next bunch, along with 'Tears On My Pillow' or maybe even a 'Let's Get To It' single as well may drop as well.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post May 19 2018, 11:54 AM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
I suppose me playing nothing but Light Years or one of my mum's many Robbie albums in the car from the age of like 4 meant that it was inevitable I would be a fan of 'Kids'! laugh.gif

I can see why people aren't a fan of it on tour as I've found it doesn't hold the same power without Robbie. You lose the chemistry which is a main factor of why the song works and it's always played too poppy, compared to when Robbie does it solo and gives a proper rock experience like the song needs.

~

I remember 'Better Than Today' revealed as the third single and being met with disdain by fans. I think that was largely down to it being out of the blue, with most thinking 'Aphrodite' or 'Cupid Boy' would be released, as I recall a fair few people (myself included) came around to the idea of it being a single after seeing it performed on TV and hearing it on the radio. Hard to say whether, based on chart performance, 'Better Than Today' was the wrong choice or whether anything released would have struggled.

This is the initial chart run as well as what promo was done in that week:

#67 [X Factor]
#114 *
#40 [Children in Need]
#32 [physical release, Jingle Bell Ball, Royal Variety]

* This was the week The Beatles' back catalogue was uploaded to iTunes and caused lots of their songs to re-enter. I count 13 songs by The Beatles above Kylie this week, so she would have still missed the Top 100.

Despite brilliant promo slots, 'Better Than Today' didn't really perform very well. I mean, only making #67 despite performing in front of 14m viewers is pretty diabolical. I remember people excusing it by saying it was too far in advance ahead of its physical, but downloads was clearly the way forward by this point so there's no reason why it couldn't have got higher if people liked the song. The way the song dropped on the weeks in between promo suggests that it just wasn't catching on. If I recall correctly, it was #18 on the midweek update when its physical was released, so to miss the Top 30 also supports this. If 'Aphrodite' was released instead with the same promo, would it have fared better?

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post May 19 2018, 12:45 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471
Better Than Today will always be an odd choice - what were they expecting with it? Put Your Hands Up seemed like the only real single left.

+Quote this post
Red Blooded Man
post May 19 2018, 02:51 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 822
QUOTE(blacksquare @ May 19 2018, 08:45 PM) *
Better Than Today will always be an odd choice - what were they expecting with it? Put Your Hands Up seemed like the only real single left.

Put your hands up is like my least favourite single, as least as Celebration.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post May 19 2018, 05:58 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
I love better than today but looking at how it performed other songs would have prob done better for her,

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post May 19 2018, 06:42 PM
Post #49
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
'Better Than Today' was almost like they just picked a random album track to release. The whole focal point of that single campaign was centred around her X-Factor performance, imagine how epic a performance of 'Aphrodite' could've been?

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post May 19 2018, 07:35 PM
Post #50
Group icon
Better than Today was honestly one of the last songs I'd have selected as a single! laugh.gif I was so disappointed. The song grew on me a bit during the promotion, but after that was done with I went back to not really caring for it very much.

+Quote this post
Red Blooded Man
post May 20 2018, 12:50 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 822
Better than today was neither here or there for me as a single, but I like the song.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post May 20 2018, 01:35 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ May 19 2018, 07:42 PM) *
'Better Than Today' was almost like they just picked a random album track to release. The whole focal point of that single campaign was centred around her X-Factor performance, imagine how epic a performance of 'Aphrodite' could've been?

True, they could have really done something spectacular for X Factor with 'Aphrodite'.

Her 'Better Than Today' performance is by far my favourite X Factor performance from Kylie though, including that near-slip at 2:33!

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post May 20 2018, 04:08 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I love the intro of the X factor of the song,as it builds well.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post May 21 2018, 10:27 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I'm in love (woohoo)

55. Tears On My Pillow // 6.26 (-1: Tawdry Hepburn // 9: SamJudd)
54. At Christmas // 6.5 (2: Monzo, Michael Andrew // 10: Qween, Nick Jonas, Hide&Seek)
53. 2 Hearts // 6.5 (1: Hide&Seek // 11: Regina)
52. Some Kind of Bliss // 6.55 (2: Theo // 10: gooddelta)
51. Give Me Just a Little More Time // 6.58 (4: Monzo, davidas // 10: SamJudd, Hide&Seek)

Kylie's cover of the Little Anthony & The Imperials 50s classic 'Tears On My Pillow' became her first hit of the 90s when it hit #1 in January 1990. It was a last minute addition to her Enjoy Yourself album after Kylie took a liking to the original upon hearing it at a Pete Waterman dinner party and later appeared on the soundtrack to Kylie's first major film The Delinquents. Kylie's rendition takes a more poppy but still retro approach; very cutesy and slushy.

The lead to the reissue of Kylie Christmas, 'At Christmas' is classic festive material, with lyrics of a longing to be with someone but over a cheery piano melody; a 'dance-through-the-heartache' anthem.

The most polarising of Kylie's lead singles, as evidenced by it being the lowest non-festive lead on the countdown, '2 Hearts' was Kylie's musical comeback following her treatment and recovery from breast cancer. Based on little-known electro-pop group Kish Mauve's song, Kylie gives it a glammy makeover, with a stomping piano beat and seductive Goldfrapp-esque vocals. It's sexy, commanding and unexpected; to me, it makes for a killer return and proved Kylie had so much more to give.

'Some Kind of Bliss' saw Kylie continue to experiment under Deconstruction Records and delve into the world of alternative rock which was hitting the mainstream. Joining forces with Manic Street Preachers frontman James Dean Bradfield, together they create a pop rock sound that worked for Kylie. The song is uplifting and free-spirited, but has a slight edge to it and some beautifully unpolished vocals. I find myself thinking of Sheryl Crow's 'If It Makes You Happy' when I hear this.

Bookending this section with another cover, 'Give Me Just a Little More Time' was originally a hit for Chairmen of the Board - a favourite of Pete Waterman which encouraged him to put it forward to Kylie. Her version keeps the magic of the 70s original, throwing you straight into the joyful, cheeky ride from the first second, complete with mastered tongue rolling.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post May 21 2018, 10:40 PM
Post #55
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
'Tears On My Pillow' is without question the worst thing she has ever recorded, and it should have been last.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post May 21 2018, 11:23 PM
Post #56
Group icon
'Tears On My Pillow' - I actually don't mind this song and looks like I've given it the highest score wub.gif, it gave Kylie her only chart topper of the 90's, so that's something going for it and plus I like that cheesy 50's retro production that makes the song stand out in her discography. Not one of her greatest moments for sure, but okay enough, pretty harmless enough. Like I've said before why wasn't this released as a double a-side with 'Enjoy Yourself', that would have ended that era with a huge bang.

'At Christmas' - Think this one will be one of her more forgotten singles, did nothing chart wise and no music video which is kinda strange considering it's a lead single. A nice enough little Christmas song, not something I go back to though.

'2 Hearts' - One of her most least guided lead singles of her career. Why was this selected in the first place, it doesn't represent the album at all and there were several better choices that could have been picked, HELL! even some of the unreleased material were better such as 'Sexual Gold' (criminal that this was left off in the first place), or even some of the bonus and album tracks - 'The One' (I know this was a single, but totally botched), 'Magnetic Electric' (Why this was only a bonus track) or hell maybe even 'Like A Drug' or 'Speakerphone'. This whole era was a mess and so much wasted potential. If handled better then this could have rivalled the 'Fever' era. At the time the song did grow on me a bit, but always preferred the follow ups. A funny fact this wasn't even Kylie's choice for the lead, she wanted 'Wow', but the label pushed for this, for some reason.

'Some Kind Of Bliss' - I bet that this is seen as another misguided lead single choice, but for me I was pretty okay with it and shows a more rock-tinged side to her, an okay song but not something I would call a lost Kylie classic. It's probably one of the more commercial songs on the album, so I understand the choice and don't think the terrible release date helped either. But even without that I doubt the song would have done any better, considering the backlash she had against her at the time and really I doubt that any other choices would have done any better, even the other considered choices 'Limbo' or 'Too Far', now the latter would have been interesting.

'Give Me Just A Little More Time' - I really like this one, definitely one of the better tracks on 'LGTI' and became it's biggest hit. This is probably one of the best covers she's ever done, that pays respect to the original and gotta love those brrrrr bits. A fun Kylie pop track from her early glory days.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post May 21 2018, 11:37 PM
Post #57
Group icon
'Put Your Hands Up' should probably drop in the next lot, along with 'Please Stay' or 'Word Is Out' (maybe), or even 'Right Here Right Now' may even drop in the next lot. Others that I predict are possibly the Dannii X-Mas duet or 'The Other Boys'.

Those are my predictions.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post May 22 2018, 12:04 AM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I not mind tears on my pillow,I don't love it or hate it.
Some kind of bliss I do love and like all the IP era it's criminally under rated.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post May 22 2018, 01:56 PM
Post #59
Group icon
Tears on My Pillow is so cute and heartfelt! Its position here is acceptable.

2 Hearts took ages to grow on me, but it never went further than "quite like" - it's not one I go back to regularly. I agree that it wasn't the right choice to be representative of the album. Not that Wow is my favourite song either, but I assume it would have done a lot better than 2 Hearts if it had had the lead single treatment?

+Quote this post
pippa
post May 22 2018, 02:44 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
2 Hearts i often forget about and is her least memorable lead single. It was such a wrong decision at that time and it cost the album dearly with sales.

+Quote this post

19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:18 PM