BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Nocturnal Animals, Amy Adams, Jake Gyllenhaal, Aaron Taylor Johnson
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Regina
post Sep 14 2016, 04:57 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
I thought I made a topic for this already but apparantly not ohmy.gif if I did then we can merge them.

Second film from fashion designer Tom Ford, got it's premiere at the Venice Film Fesitval.

An art gallery owner (Amy Adams) is haunted by her ex-husband (Jake Gyllenhaal)'s novel, a violent thriller she interprets as a veiled threat and a symbolic revenge tale.

Also stars Michael Shannon, Isla Fischer, Armie Hammer and Joan Allen.

Getting pretty decent reviews, mainly for the main actors so might be a big Oscar contender, certainly another big flashing sign saying "GIVE AMY AN OSCAR"

Full trailer is released tomorrow but a teaser has dropped.

Out on November 18th. And Amy is serving total boobage too *.*

This post has been edited by Regina: Sep 15 2016, 04:55 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Regina
post Sep 15 2016, 04:54 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Raining Shitter
HOLY SHIT

THIS LOOKS SO GOOD, OMG.

This post has been edited by Regina: Sep 15 2016, 04:54 PM

+Quote this post
post Sep 15 2016, 08:10 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
Just saw it. I'm shook. Film of the year.

Saw Guardian and Independent had given this 5/5 and I 100% agree.

+Quote this post
jark
post Sep 19 2016, 09:49 PM
Post #4
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990
Utterly phenomenal trailer. Easily my most anticipated film of the year. Just looks like Ford reached into my brain and took out the most disturbing things he could find.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Nov 5 2016, 11:46 AM
Post #5
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
I agree with Joe that this was really fantastic. The novel was incredibly thrilling to watch, it was the most tense I've felt in ages whilst watching a film and there were so many gut-punch moments too that made it all feel massively heart-breaking as well. I loved how they kept flitting back to Amy and her current life living with her guilt as well, she acted phenomenally in this (as usual) and I would love to see her get another Oscar nomination for her work here. I also thought the whole cast were really good, Jake Gyllenhaal was equally as good so it's a shame to see him not really in contention as much. I liked seeing Isla Fisher pop up too, felt very moving when you found out what happened to her. Finally, I thought the ending was interesting too, I've read a few interpretations on it and I like them all. It's a real shame this isn't picking up more traction in the awards race.

This post has been edited by Josh.: Nov 5 2016, 11:46 AM

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Nov 5 2016, 01:30 PM
Post #6
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
I agree that this was really brilliant. Jake in particular (as ever it seems). The only thing is that I don't THINK I understand it properly. So maybe it's one of those films where you benefit from watching it twice...

But overall it was brilliant and worth watching. One of the best, pure thrillers in a while.

+Quote this post
post Nov 11 2016, 10:54 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Jonjo @ Nov 5 2016, 01:30 PM) *
I agree that this was really brilliant. Jake in particular (as ever it seems). The only thing is that I don't THINK I understand it properly. So maybe it's one of those films where you benefit from watching it twice...

But overall it was brilliant and worth watching. One of the best, pure thrillers in a while.

It's quite simple really.

It's simply about Edward's revenge.

Edward was heartbroken by Susan, she broke his heart and left him because she felt better than him. She married up, despite clearly feeling somewhat empty with her life. The novel Jake wrote, which was specifically written "for Susan", was his "revenge" (which is a theme that crops up throughout the film). The book is an ulta-violent parallel of their relationship, hence why Isla is cast, since they look so similar. The book haunts Amy, it gets under her skin and is all she can think about, and begins to play mind-tricks on her. it makes her think about Edward, and re-discover her longing for him and she reflects on her past and the person she's become. He agrees to meet her, but stands her up. His revenge was to reel her back in emotionally, and leave her out in the dark. There's also interpretation that he killed himself and that's why he didn't turn up, as echoed in the book.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Nov 11 2016, 11:49 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Ahhh. Yep. That was my thought about it tbh. I just wasn't sure if my interpretation of it was right haha.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Nov 12 2016, 06:07 PM
Post #9
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
I really think this is a film I need to watch again to form a proper opinion on. I was just utterly confused by the end (and so was literally every single person in the cinema!) as to what I just watched. The film was really intriguing and the acting was fabulous, Amy and Jake were great in the lead roles and Michael Shannon and Aaron Taylor-Johnson were definite highlights of that fantastic supporting cast! I just haven't been so confused by a film in ages, I really have no clue what went on. I've read up lots on it since seeing it to try to make sense of it and it is starting to become clearer what happened but I do think I need to watch it again to try and make sense of the film.

Also Isla Fisher's character didn't have anything to do with Amy Adams' character did she? That really threw me off as I thought that was Amy and didn't realise it was Isla till the end of the film because of them both looking so similar!
Also did Tony/Edward die?

7.5/10 (the score could probably go up quite a bit with a re-watch as I understand what happened a bit more after reading up on it!)

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Nov 12 2016, 07:36 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Read Joe's spoilered post above UV. It all makes perfect sense (and actually not as confusing as you'd think after reading, either) biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Nov 12 2016, 09:19 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
The only WTF moment for me in this was that very first scene! (before you understood the context anyway).

Anyway, this transpired into one of my favourite films of the whole year. Fantastically produced & acted, loved the way it flicked between the novel & "real life" scenes and had me gripped all the way through. Superb!

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Nov 16 2016, 02:12 PM
Post #12
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
This completely exceeded my expectations. It was brilliant. The story in the novel wasn't that unique or anything, but the way it was told / put together here made it special and had me gripped. I was expecting to find it confusing going by the comments on here but I didn't at all really, it was intertwined really well. It can be annoying when an ending is left open to interpretation but I think it worked well here.

I don't want to compare it to Arrival too much because the only thing linking them is that they're both Amy Adams movies released in the same month, but whilst that had bigger themes and questions and was more thought provoking, this kept me interested more throughout and I enjoyed it more overall.

The most WTF moment for me was the jump scare in Jena Malone's scene laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Regina
post Feb 14 2017, 01:01 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Raining Shitter

Greatest exchange in movie history ever.

+Quote this post
post Feb 14 2017, 01:37 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
So many great little moments in that film.

One of the worst was the exchange with her and her British assistant though, worst acting ever (Not from Amy).

+Quote this post
Regina
post Feb 14 2017, 03:52 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Raining Shitter
Yeah, that was pretty bad laugh.gif

A certain scene with Aaron Taylor Johnson and a toilet stands out too, not all for good reasons though.

More of that in my latest review.

This post has been edited by Regina: Feb 14 2017, 04:21 PM

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:08 AM