BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
17 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'Prism' • Third Studio Album, 22.10.13
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Grief
post Apr 20 2013, 09:14 PM
Post #1

The pop star is working with collaborators such as Max Martin, Dr. Luke, Bonnie McKee and others.

Katy Perry is halfway through her third album, the follow-up to “Teenage Dream,” which spawned five Hot 100 No. 1 singles. She has yet to feel any pressure.

“When I put myself on a timeline, when I tell the record company when I want to release the album, that’s when the race starts,” Perry said during a session Thursday at ASCAP’s I Create Music Expo. “That’s when I put pressure on myself.”

So far she has collaborated with many of the producers and songwriters behind “Teenage Dream,” among them Max Martin, Dr. Luke and Greg Wells.

Wells, she says, “allows me to vomit words. Not that I can’t find that with other but he just lets me [makes retching sound]. Max and Luke push me the most. As a team we have certain strengths. With Max, it’s melody choices, Luke is production and I’m topline and melody.”

She has also written new songs with Sia and continues to work with Bonnie McKee, her collaborator on “California Gurls” and “Teenage Dream.”

Working with Bonnie McKee "is like an emotional abuse session," she said. "Bonnie and I argue (like) we’re in the ring fighting for the best lyric. We presented ‘Teenage Dream’ three times (before it was recorded).”

At a recent session, Perry went in with a melody and verse to work with Greg Kurstin and McKee. “She came in from a yoga class and said, 'I want to write a song called 'Double Rainbow.'' So we have a song called ‘Double Rainbow.’”

Perry spent an hour taking questions from ASCAP executive VP, membership, Randy Grimmett, who had the singer-songwriter detail her career from her beginnings as a 13-year-old learning to play guitar to working in the Christian music world and then the ups and downs of her career prior to her chart success and arena tours.

She began many of her anecdotes with “want to hear something really depressing” – or words to that effect – to draw a complete picture of what she went through as struggling artist. She detailed negative and positive experiences working with Glen Ballard (pro) and the Matrix trio (con), Island Def Jam (bad) and Capitol (positive and improving with the new management team), and regularly reinforced the idea that she loves to collaborate with other writers.

A few other tidbits Perry said:

On the music and artists who have had the greatest influence on her, Perry rattled off Queen’s “Killer Queen,” the Beach Boys’ “Pet Sounds,” Alanis Morissette’s “Jagged Little Pill,” No Doubt, Patty Griffin and Jonatha Brooke.

Dave Stewart, with whom she wrote “I’m Still Breathing,” was the first collaborator to give her the freedom to write whatever she wanted.

Once she goes on tour, she stops writing. “I don’t get into a studio when I’m touring.”

Her favorites that she saw at Coachella last weekend? Purity Ring, M83 and Sia.

Career highlight? “Firework,” she said, is “the most important song I’ve written.” Performing it with an autistic girl accompanying her on piano and vocal harmony at a fundraiser was “the most important performance of my career so far.”

She does not like the use of aliases by songwriters and producers. “I wouldn’t meet Dr. Luke for six months because I knew he wasn’t really a doctor. What’s wrong with your first and last name? Why do they have to be from outer space?”

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...double-rainbow

This post has been edited by Robot: Jul 30 2013, 12:55 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Apr 21 2013, 10:14 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
I'm really interested to see what she comes up with, and if she can keep up her success.

+Quote this post
Theonix
post Apr 21 2013, 10:44 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
User: 8,661
This should be fantastic - hopefully there's as much bubblegum on this as there was on Teenage Dream, with a fair share of maturer pop as well. Do we know if it's due for release this year or next?

+Quote this post
Grief
post Apr 21 2013, 06:54 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(THEO. @ Apr 21 2013, 11:44 AM) *
This should be fantastic - hopefully there's as much bubblegum on this as there was on Teenage Dream, with a fair share of maturer pop as well. Do we know if it's due for release this year or next?

She's halfway through making the album, which should be an indication.

Anyway, I loved Teenage Dream when it came out but I got so sick of her by the time that she stopped releasing songs from that era. Let's hope that she's not as dominant as last time.

+Quote this post
Danny
post Apr 21 2013, 09:37 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 457
Only halfway through? She's pretty much the perfect summer artist, so I was hoping it would be imminent by now.

Nonetheless, whenever her new stuff comes out, I'm pretty excited for it. She's such a good songwriter herself that she's not really dependent on producers to have good songs like some of the other pop girls, so I don't see why there would be a slump in the quality of her work.

This post has been edited by Danny: Apr 21 2013, 09:40 PM

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post Apr 21 2013, 11:30 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030
Oh she'll have something out for summer. She always does.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post May 26 2013, 06:33 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
QUOTE(Danny @ Apr 21 2013, 10:37 PM) *
Only halfway through? She's pretty much the perfect summer artist, so I was hoping it would be imminent by now.

Nonetheless, whenever her new stuff comes out, I'm pretty excited for it. She's such a good songwriter herself that she's not really dependent on producers to have good songs like some of the other pop girls, so I don't see why there would be a slump in the quality of her work.

Completely agreed with this, seconded!

However,I Kissed A Girl was winter, Fireowkr was winter. If she's gone for a darker tone, then it kinda makes sense, but I really wanted another California Gurls, Teenage Dream, but that was last era

+Quote this post
Griff
post May 26 2013, 06:33 PM
Post #8

I never knew that August was in the month of winter! ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post May 26 2013, 06:51 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
Well, it practically is here ...

+Quote this post
RobBot
post May 26 2013, 07:06 PM
Post #10
Group icon
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
User: 7,117
Yeah, I was hoping for another summer anthem - but there's no real sign of that, is there? sad.gif

If we could get another Firework (aka my fave / 2nd fave - can't decide) song of all time in Winter though, I'm ALL FOR WAITING.

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post May 26 2013, 11:08 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Her first singles are ALWAYS in the summer.

+Quote this post
Calum
post Jun 23 2013, 04:19 PM
Post #12
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316
Katy has said that one of the tracks on the album is titled 'Bad Photographs'.

''I titled it 'Bad Photographs' because the idea is that when people are in a relationship they only take photographs when they are happy, and sometimes when it ends you realise maybe it would be important to take photographs when it's not happy. So I have this idea, 'Looking back we should have taken photographs / of all the unhappiness / because now my mind's playing tricks on me / I forget we are not meant to be'.''

+Quote this post
*Tim
post Jun 23 2013, 07:23 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660
Excited!

+Quote this post
Theonix
post Jun 24 2013, 08:31 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
User: 8,661
https://twitter.com/leethommo/status/349175349617258496

Apparently a reliable source according to the chart forum. October seems a bit soon, as much as I'd love the album to be released then. I imagine that'd mean a single in August and only one pre-album single. Hopefully whenever the single's released here, it's the same time as the rest of the world.

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post Jun 24 2013, 11:13 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I dunno... we'll see. Katy is a summer single girl.

+Quote this post
Calum
post Jun 25 2013, 12:12 AM
Post #16
Group icon
nabad
October seems good. Hopefully a new single soon enough, then! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
*Tim
post Jun 25 2013, 03:04 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
She might just release a single out of nowehere in the next couple o' weeks one can hope right?

+Quote this post
Roba.
post Jun 26 2013, 10:27 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804
Pretty sure she'll release a new song in October and perform it on the X Factor as promotion because she's a usual guest on it.

+Quote this post
Calum
post Jun 26 2013, 11:37 PM
Post #19
Group icon
nabad
I definitely think she'd benefit from another X Factor performance. Her previous two were absolutely fantastic, especially the stripped back performance of The One That Got Away. wub.gif

+Quote this post
*Tim
post Jul 29 2013, 10:07 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
This is appearently called Prism and is released the 22 Oct '13

+Quote this post

17 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:56 AM