BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Carol, UK- November 27, 2015 // a.k.a. The Price of Salt
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
PaPa Ri
post 8th January 2015, 03:33 PM
Post #1
Group icon
JanWasRobbed
User: 8,335

Based on the novel The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith (The Talented Mr. Ripley).

Set in 1950s New York, a department-store clerk who dreams of a better life falls for an older, married woman.

Starring:
Cate Blanchett
Rooney Mara
Kyle Chandler
Sarah Paulson

Director Todd Haynes has confirmed it will get a late 2015 release.

Slay Cate.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 5th August 2015, 05:14 PM
Post #2
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

UK release on November 27th

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 27th November 2015, 05:07 PM
Post #3
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

A moving, touching performance from Cate. Not the most exciting movies for me, it didn't keep me hooked throughout like say "Brooklyn" did but it was refreshing and a pleasant watch, I can definitely see why Cate and Rooney Mara are so highly tipped for Oscar nods.

I wish the service was so fast when I go out to restaurants tbh.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 28th November 2015, 08:40 PM
Post #4
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

This had me hooked throughout actually, Carol was so enticing the whole way through, Cate did a great job by the way ahe spoke and the all the sensual gestures like touching her skin a lot. Mara did a very good job too in portraying a girl being swept into this new life and not really knowing how to go about it. The dinner table scene at the end was heartbreaking, I was like 'answer Therese! Now the stars have aligned you can be together' but she wasn't saying anything sad.gif

I love these sorts of stories that real people have gone through like this and Suffragette, it reminds you that lesbianism at this time was viewed like a mental illness. There weren't loads of big evens but Blanchett managed to make it a very captivating story.

This post has been edited by Josh.: 28th November 2015, 08:40 PM

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 15th February 2016, 01:38 PM
Post #5
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

I really enjoyed it but I just felt there was something missing to give it that extra punch to be excellent. The story was really nice but I did feel a little bored at a couple of times and felt like the movie could have gone at a quicker pace! However this film thrives on its performances. Cate Blanchett is stunning as Carol and gives such a heartwarming and beautiful performance and keeps your attention throughout the entire movie, not sure if she'd make my top 5 due to Best Actress being a bloodbath this year but a fantastic performance nevertheless. I also thought Rooney Mara was great and she was excellent in the film though I'd actually maybe argue she was a Supporting Actress ohmy.gif I'm not even too sure why myself but I just felt that Cate was the singular lead at certain points in the movie. Anyway it was a nice film but yeah there was just something lacking a bit.

7.5/10

+Quote this post
post 15th February 2016, 01:39 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

I agree with Josh - I found Carol captivating from start to finish.

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post 31st July 2016, 07:46 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742

"Carol" was certainly one of the most controversial and hyped films in the circles of critics last year. It originally premiered in the 2015 Cannes Film Festival, where it received very positive feedback and it won the Queer Palm award while Rooney Mara won the "Best Actress" award. "Carol" is based on the novel "The Price of Salt" by Patricia Highsmith, which contains many autobiographical elements of the author. The film earned six Academy Award nominations, including Best Actress, Best Suporting Actress, Best Cinematography, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Original Score and Best Costume Design, five Golden Globe Award nominations and nine Bafta Award nominations .
"Carol" is a dramatic story about the love of two women who met by chance in a department store in Manhattan in the early 50s. Carol is separated with her husband, with whom she has a child while Therese is bond to someone who does not feel complete happiness. Their acquaintance will prove crucial as they will experience strong emotions but they will have to face the obstacles that will arise with this choice. "Carol" is a very special film that fully respects the relationship between two people of the same sex. It is in no way challenging although it is based on a bold story. The director of the movie, Todd Haynes, has dealt with a similar issue in the past, "Far From Heaven", so he had the necessary experience to adapt the specific story to the big screen. "Carol" had noteworthy directing, exceptional costumes, well-written script by Phyllis Nagy and wonderful soundtrack by Carter Burwell! Moreover, the interpretations of the two main actresses were very good and they played an important role in the overall outcome of the film. However, I think that Rooney Mara was more worthy of a Golden Globe or Academy Award than Cate Blanchett because the latter reminded me of a lesbian version of Jasmine Francis. Without meaning that this reduces her value as an actress since Blanchett is one of the most talented people in the movie business. She has given us great performances and she is particularly dear to the public and critics. Despite this, the film started very slowly -the cinema had an intermission- and it needed sufficient time for the plot to be more interesting.
"Carol" was one of the most remarkable productions of last year! It received rave reviews worldwide and it was highly appreciated by many American critics associations! I will not say that it's one from those movies that cut many tickets but it was considered great artistic success! This is an unconventional story that will move a large portion of its viewers and it will charm those who see the love and sex with "different eyes".

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 12:53 AM