BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Love Revolution Press reviews
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
truly talented
post Oct 31 2015, 09:06 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 140
YORK

THE Barbican crowd were bemused as Will Young, in his "one size fits none" outfit, sang the first song at 90 degrees to the fans being blown down with smoke and confetti more reminiscent of Kate Bush or Peter Gabriel’s live theatrics.

No-one would have guessed this was the first night of the tour as the band were rifle-shot tight yet relaxed; the audience already having been given a vocal masterclass from Lemar. Usually support acts haven’t had top ten hits but this wasn’t your usual night at a packed Barbican.

Young’s varied setlist defied pigeon holes. It was crafted, well arranged and honest. He isn’t desperate to re-invent himself or collaborate with Will.I. Am; instead, he was happy in his skin performing what and how he chooses. He had the rare gift of having charm and a joyful swagger that never trespassed into the cocksure.

You could see Young has done theatre and film and is very bright. The only thing you couldn't see was where opportunity knocked 13 years ago. Young is proof that true talent will always outlive any end-of-the-pier show sob story; so much so, he omitted the 15th best-selling song ever in the UK, Evergreen, as if to say “That was the puppet; now I pull all the strings”.

Young knew he was leaning on an open door and treated his York guests to a perfect menu of favourites old and new, from Love Revolution and Your Game to ending with Leave Right Now.

His latest album is called 85% Proof. Based on Thursday's performance, it might need to be sent back for a re-mark.
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/13927012.R...ber_29/?ref=rss

Gig review: Will Young + Lemar at York Barbican

Duncan Seaman
15:13Sunday 01 November 2015

Televised singing contests might have brought us a fair number of also-rans over the years – we’ll mention no names – but occasionally they have also been a platform for some genuine talent.

Two of the most durable examples have joined forces for a UK tour that opened last night in York.

Why London soul singer Lemar Obika didn’t win the BBC’s Fame Academy a decade or so ago remains one of life’s mysteries, nonetheless at 37 he remains in good voice, mixing good old-fashioned grit with lover man’s falsetto. Highlights from his new album included an anguished Tainted Love, that was more akin to the Northern Soul roots of the song than the Soft Cell version, and its title track, a catchy reworking of the Box Tops’ 1967 hit The Letter.

Accompanied by just a guitarist, he seemed thoroughly at home on the stage, encouraging the audience to harmonise to the chorus of Someday We’ll Be Together.

But it was a storming version of own song, If There’s Any Justice, that was best received. With a little more luck, Lemar could yet be a headline act once more.

That honour on this occasion fell to Will Young, Pop Idol’s greatest success story, who shrugged off TV spats with Simon Cowell to go on forge to career that’s lasted six best selling albums.

His latest, 85% Proof, was heavily showcased in a 90-minute set that demonstrated not only his knack as a writer of memorable songs but also his considerable charm and good humour as a performer.

His fondness for theatricality revealed itself at the start with the use of transparent screens and a wind machine that gusted newspaper pages at him during Brave Man.

After Runaway he joked affectionately about his father getting thrown out of supermarkets for photographing the bottom of plastic water bottles – an interest that apparently stemmed from when he worked on machines that moulded them. A moment later he talked of spotting a sign for vacancies at Eddie Stobart’s trucking firm “and thinking I could do that”.

If a lounge rendition of Light My Fire was a throwback to his Pop Idol days, Thank You was considerably more feisty, thanks to its T.Rex-like groove and some impressive hollering from backing singer Michelle John.

Before a soaring You and I there was a shout-out to heavily pregnant audience member Heather who’d promised that “it’s a boy and it’s born tonight he’s going to be called William”.

As a balladeer, Young’s light tenor was ideally suited to Gold and Like A River, two of the highlights of 85% Proof that Young said he particularly liked for their positive messages.

Then it was time to roll out a conveyor belt to advertise items from Young’s merchandise stall – including a tip-and-strip pen – in tongue in cheek, 70s game show style.

If the intention was to loosen up the audience for some dancing it worked, with uptempo numbers such as Changes, Your Game and Jealousy getting the aisles gently swaying.

Cannily the 36-year-old singer saved the stomping Love Revolution and the euphoric Joy for the encore. His signature tune, Leave Right Now, was the icing on the cake.

As an entertainer, it’s easy to imagine Will Young running and running.

Gig date: October 29

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/yorkshire-l...bican-1-7546913

This post has been edited by truly talented: Nov 1 2015, 07:04 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
truly talented
post Oct 31 2015, 09:21 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Review: Will Young - Love Revolution Tour, Liverpool Empire

The soulful singer who's never idle in developing his style

Thirteen years. That’s how long it is since Britain made Will Young a pop star. Almost 14, if we’re being pedantic.

Other acts appointed to the charts via public vote may have whithered long since but the self-deprecating Berkshire boy has been with us so long now he’s edging towards the title of veteran.

That’s not being derogatory. In the aftermath of his 2002 Pop idol win, it would be difficult to imagine the Cowell-mentored act he was then performing around tonight’s scenery on the Empire stage. It looked like a mobile meth lab staffed by helpers in industrial cleaners’ coveralls but was imaginatively designed so it could be tweaked and tugged into the different configurations which fit the art-pop/funk sound that runs through Will’s repertoire these days.

Now that he seems free to be the singer he wants to be, he’s happy to throw all the trappings of corporate pop out of the window.

Emerging in what can only be described as a pant-kimono, singing the synth-heavy Brave Man side-on into a swirl of flakes, this was worlds away from the Westlife album track he was saddled with as his post-victory release.

Will moves around the stage on the streetwise side of flamboyant, still happy to wiggle his hips and give a cheeky grin to a crowd of (very) loyal fans then turning on a sixpence into the assured vocalist with the soaring soul voice he deserves greater credit for.

[img]http://i3.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article10363552.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/JS75592371.jpg[img]

His laid-back take on Light My Fire was the first step into the back catalogue, receiving the appropriate roar and it was also around this time that the mischievous interaction with the audience began. It’s clear Will has never taken himself particularly seriously and this culminated in the conveyor belt he used for one performance (while wrapped in what appeared to be the Golden Fleece) being used immediately afterwards to demonstrate, Generation Game-style, the various items of merchandise featuring his likeness now available in the foyer. Nor did he think twice about singing Happy Birthday to the mum of an enthusiastic audience member. He’s a good lad - and one who’s very difficult to dislike.

His latest album, 85% Proof, is a largely upbeat affair and songs such as Love Revolution and Joy, although not instantly recognisable just yet, are likely candidates for setlist standards in a few tours time.

With his sound constantly evolving and big-hitters coming from the Young stable with each album, it’s difficult to pin him to a signature song. But the crowd were in no doubt as the night was drawn to a close with 2003’s Novello-scooping Leave Right Now. It may be from the days when he was considered a teenybop idol but the anthem to unrequited love still slots in perfectly alongside the new stuff.

He has the songbook of a veteran but he’s still Young. And he’s still very happy to be ours.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/re...n-tour-10363521

This post has been edited by truly talented: Oct 31 2015, 09:36 AM

+Quote this post
Sunday
post Oct 31 2015, 06:46 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 91
Thats a good review TT cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Sunday
post Nov 1 2015, 08:41 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Another great review thanks TT yahoo.gif

+Quote this post
suggy
post Nov 2 2015, 03:13 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 85
Great reviews, thanks for posting them up. smile.gif

+Quote this post
Sunday
post Nov 2 2015, 04:04 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
REVIEW: Will Young brings the love revolution to Plymouth Pavilions
By Lucia_Paulis | Posted: November 02, 2015

Will Young performs to a sold-out Plymouth Pavilions

The Love Revolution Tour may be Will Young's first tour in four years but the sold-out gig at Plymouth Pavilions proved it was like he has never been away.

His 90-minute set confirmed that when it comes to performing, it's about more than just the music – although that is outstanding to say the least.

His vocals are captivating, soulful and beautifully haunting, his dance moves are sassy, slick and infectiously fun and his rapport in between songs is cheeky and comedic.

Touring with music from his new album, 85% Proof, there was no shortage of 100% given from the artist who made his name on Pop Idol.

It's not hard to see why he has achieved huge success on stage as well as on record, with his theatrical opening performance of Brave which saw him fighting the force of a wind machine in slow-motion, as strands of newspaper flew into his vision and a mash-up of Your Game and Donna Summer's Love To Love You Baby that had him sliding seductively on the floor in his all-in-one black jumpsuit, requesting the audience beg him to finish.

His conversations in between songs were just as amusing; questioning whether the mess he had made on stage was more similar to kids crashing a new year's eve party or being trapped in a gerbil's cage, and a game show style display of Will Young souvenirs, from tea-towels, posters and a special 'tip-and-strip' pen, which he preceded to dispose onto the floor. The sheer comedy value alone tempted me to make a purchase.

Not to mention him giving banter back to the lady who had waited from noon to see him, by declaring: "I'm not Justin Bieber and I'm not Michael Bublé – I'm somewhere in between."

And it was nice, of course, to hear a reference to Cornwall, as he jokingly reiterated a "passive aggressive" conversation he had with a lady about him understanding the difference between a Shetland and Dartmoor pony, having owned a house on Bodmin Moor for eleven years.

His set list featured a mix of songs from his current and previous albums with highlights including You and I, Jealousy, Love Revolution and the song which fittingly closed the concert, Leave Right Now.

He was certainly popular with the audience but at the beginning of the show, I was slightly embarrassed for the lady on the second row from the front who had escaped from her seat and was dancing with her hand frivolously in the air.

However, by the end of the night, the entire crowd were covered in confetti and there I was, up on my feet, dancing with my hands frivolously in the air, like the lady on the front row. What can I say? It's a love revolution.

Read more: http://www.westbriton.co.uk/REVIEW-Young/s...l#ixzz3qLnn044L
Follow us: @westbriton on Twitter | westbriton on Facebook

+Quote this post
truly talented
post Nov 2 2015, 05:30 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Thanks Sunday.

The reviews just keep getting better. yahoo.gif

+Quote this post
suggy
post Nov 2 2015, 07:40 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Thanks sunday, another great review. dance.gif

+Quote this post
Sunday
post Nov 3 2015, 12:39 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Brighton
Guardian ***** 4/5

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/nov/...brighton-centre

“You’re an ugly bunch of people,” says Will Young, turning on the charm that led to victory on Pop Idol in 2002. The predictably delighted response triggers an apology for his late arrival due to an errant hairdryer: “My hair got caught – who knew a hairdryer could blow and suck?”

Yet, 10 minutes before, he’d opened this show with a stark performance of new single Brave Man, currently generating debate because its video features a naked trans man.

Young is just about the only mainstream pop singer who can pull off this marriage of cruise-ship turn and LGBT rights campaigner, pulling the package together with sleek dinner-party soul. Young’s continuing success – current album 85% Proof is his fourth to reach number one – tweaks the nose of Idol judge Simon Cowell, who didn’t want him to win, and for that alone he deserves applause. But he’s long since proved himself as a purveyor of elegant tearjerkers and the odd uplifting Britsoul radio hit, such as Love Revolution, which he performs beneath overhead screens showing him as a misty-eyed televangelist. The banter and one concession to the Idol era – the pleasing aural mojito that is Light My Fire – serve to underline the skill of his later work.

Brave Man pits him against a squad of people in white hazchem suits who spray him with dry ice. With Young loading every extended note with empathy – but why not show the video too? – it makes for an arresting kick-off. Your Game, the masterful 2004 pop-funk confection, comes after an interval in which he throws merchandise into the crowd (“A tip-and-strip pen! Turn it over, clothes come off!”). Then it’s the silken soul of Who Am I?, one of his many songs fuelled by neediness and self-doubt. “You’re sexy!” a woman shouts, but Young deliberately mishears and asks: “I’m shit?” And out comes the banter: “You’re at the wrong concert, love.”

argus

http://www.theargus.co.uk/leisure/arts_and...ay__November_2/

Opening a concert of your first tour in four years with a song from a new album is a brave step.

Then again, true to the title of the song he chose, Will Young is a brave man.

From this performance you would not know it was 13 years since he won Pop Idol, or that he was ever the product of a talent contest.

It was not a limp, half-baked comeback just to rake in the money, it was a slick, heartfelt, performance which showed his voice at its best.

Diehard fans missed a couple of classics but there was the right mix of favourite hits and new – and I might add good – songs.

His arrival on stage was intense as he battled moving objects, amid strobe lighting, encased in a slightly bewildering plastic maze.

It was odd, but the concept turned out to be quite clever and complemented his haunting vocal.

There was no time to get too melancholy though. Within 20 minutes he had everyone on their feet to Switch It On and Your Game. The funk style of his new tracks did not go down too badly either.

On stage he was a self-assured, smooth mover in a black, sleeveless jumpsuit.

The packed crowd loved his willingness to joke around. The entire act was part sing-a-long, part comedy show with appearances of his hallmark cheeky smile. Young was blessed with truly talented backing singers and a great live band

Share article

Lemar was a good choice of warm-up act, although he really should keep his hits for his final songs.

Four stars

This post has been edited by Sunday: Nov 3 2015, 12:44 PM

+Quote this post
truly talented
post Nov 3 2015, 01:16 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Thanks Sunday. smile.gif

+Quote this post
munchkin
post Nov 3 2015, 05:39 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 127
Thanks Sunday. I've been trying hard not to read spoilers but it's proving nigh-on impossible.

Are those tip and strip pens from his old tour - talk about recycling tongue.gif

+Quote this post
truly talented
post Nov 3 2015, 06:37 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
They have more of a Love Revolution theme munchkin, yellow in colour.

+Quote this post
truly talented
post Nov 3 2015, 06:58 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Plymouth Herald Review.

I remember running down Weston-Super-Mare beach many years ago as Will Young took to the stage at a T4 On The Beach gig. As I dragged my sister along I never thought I would once again be sat watching the huge star do what he does best - perform.

Although I was, only this time with my grand-mother by my side ...!

The Love Revolution tour is Will's first in four years but that did not mean that the popstar didn't know how to impress the sold out Plymouth Pavilions.

After a slightly odd support slot from Lemar, men dressed in white suits walked around the stage - tuning instruments, arranging the set and making sure everything was tight for Will himself. And what an opening it was.

Will gracefully appeared on stage in a rather sexy black number and seductively danced behind a plastic screen whilst a whole number of things blew at him from a wind machine. As he grabbed the mic stand and fell to his knees the packed out crowd were already hooked as he sang Brave.

His full 90 minute set kept the energy up and his captivating and soulful lyrics, as well as sassy dance moves only clarified why he has become such a hit.

In-between songs he was cheeky and chatty and talked about his near-by Cornish home. I have to be honest though I think the crowd interaction was a little odd as members of the audience wanted their five minutes of fame. It took one unhappy soul to shout 'shut up' before it was back to the music.

His set list featured a mix of songs from his current and previous albums with highlights including You and I, Jealousy, Love Revolution and the song which fittingly closed the concert Leave Right Now.

As he encouraged members of the audience to get on their feet, there was no encouragement needed for the lady in the front row!, it seemed the majority of the packed out venue complied.

I may not have been running to the front like I did many years ago - but I was certainly in no rush to leave. Will Young is a true performer and knows how to work a black all-in-one jumpsuit with white sock

Read more: http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/REVIEW-You...l#ixzz3qSIR12uL

+Quote this post
Sunday
post Nov 5 2015, 01:01 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Review: Will Young, Birmingham Symphony Hall
THURSDAY 5TH NOVEMBER 2015
Pop Idol, clown prince and sweet soul singer - all these titles are appropriate for Will Young, who is back with his first tour in four years.

Review: Will Young, Birmingham Symphony Hall
Will Young
The well-spoken lad from Berkshire was the first in the Simon Cowell era of TV talent show successes. It's no secret that Cowell wanted his rival Gareth Gates to win TV's Pop Idol show, especially after Young famously gave the music and media mogul an eloquent rebuke on TV.

Fourteen years on, with a new record label deal and recovered from a breakdown, and established as a stage and screen actor, Young is back in the chart with sixth album '85% Proof' - and last night gave his faithful fans in Birmingham 100 per cent entertainment.

Wearing a black trouser suit with baggy culottes but no sleeves, which simultaneously suggested Catholic priest and northern soul dancer, the 36 year old launched his 90-minute set with Brave Man, singing into a paper blizzard which set the theatrical tone.

Read our interview with Will Young here

Backed by a five-piece band and an exceptional trio of backing singers, the singer took his music seriously but sent himself up something rotten. His quirky humour was apparent in ramblings about Pudsey Bear and Strictly Come Dancing, cheeky banter with the audience and a photo backdrop that made him look like an evangelical preacher.

We also got good Will hunting the groove, bringing the funk for his Justin Timberlake-like U Think I'm Sexy and blending Your Game with his version of Donna Summer's Love To Love You Baby. He also turned back the clock to the beginning of his career with his jazzy take on The Doors' Light My Fire. He turned up the heat with his rockiest number Switch It On, followed by the hits Grace and Jealousy - the latter finally getting all the audience out of their seats and into dance mode.

It says something for the strength of his latest album that two out of three of the encores were plucked from it, the up-tempo retro soul of Love Revolution and the aptly named anthem Joy. He ended with the hit that really established him as a serious artist, fans' favourite Leave Right Now.

But he will be back at the Symphony Hall on Monday, November 16.

It will be worth turning up early for the support slot from London soul singer Lemar. He impressed before Young's set last night with bare-bones acoustic versions of his ten-year-old hits, including If There's Any Justice, and classic soul covers from new album The Letter.

By Leon Burakowski

http://nativemonster.com/music/bands-and-g...m-symphony-hall

+Quote this post
truly talented
post Nov 6 2015, 09:24 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Young-Camb...tail/story.html

Cambridge News

Will Young, Cambridge Corn Exchange: Review
By Cambridge News | Posted: November 06, 2015

Lydia García Roca joins the former Pop Idol's Love Revolution

The concert opened with support artist Lamar, an R&B singer currently promoting his latest album The Letter. His acoustic performance left the room very excited, preparing the audience for main act Will Young's amazing entrance.

Will's arrival to the stage made the Corn Exchange crowd scream and shout while he performed the song Brave Man. His all-black jumpsuit created a contrast with the scenery, his amazing vocals accompanied by surprisingly great dance moves, all conveyed with theatrical talent.

His set turned out to be very extravagant, complete with very colourful lighting, and a machine which blew feathers to his face while he was "hiding" behind a plastic transparent screen.

During his breaks between songs, we got to see a very genuine and natural Will. He was very jovial and interactive with the audience, almost becoming a comedian. During the show, the singer took the phone of a member of the audience to record himself as well as the audience from his point of view.

His last songs were incredibly celebrated by everyone. The audience was covered with confetti as three big images of Will took over the stage: actually creating a Love Revolution with the audience, as they actively participated in singing along with the songs.

His energy created a lively vibe all over the theatre, a vibe that everyone seemed to take home with them at the end. We asked some people what they thought about the concert and everyone loved his performance.

The views were summed up by concertgoer Femi Williams, who said: "A concert that I recommend 100 per cent. You will enjoy it no matter if you are a fan or not."

+Quote this post
truly talented
post Nov 9 2015, 10:24 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Birmingham’s Symphony Hall is a beautiful venue. It’s so classy and luxe, it was the perfect setting for a night of Blues, Pop and Soul.

Will Young has been around since 2002, if it is strange to think that Will Young began his pop journey as the first and quite the most atypical winner of the now global Pop Idol phenomenon, then keep in mind that Will was the one who stood up to Simon Cowell, one fateful Saturday evening. “What I love about that moment is that it was someone standing up for what they wanted. I didn’t realise how strongly I wanted that career until that moment. I don’t even know where it came from. What was odd about that moment was that it was a side of me that never would have come out otherwise. It was new to me.”

Unlike most other and even over more championed competition winners; Will really has lasted the test of time. He has flourished into a hugely talented and strongly individual artist, and has carved a genre almost all of his own. This growth and his solidity in who he is as an artist has a lot to do with that longevity.

The show was spectacular. With a mixture of crazy complex staging and posing performance tracks- queue wind machine, plastic curtains, confetti and swish floaty male catsuit- and simple, single spotlight, sat in one spot performances (and some in between the two) Will really put on a fully immersive show.

(I especially enjoyed the stage hands flitting around the stage in their white safety suits and glasses, a really odd but wonderful touch!)

The thing that started this guys career was his distinguishable voice. And over the years Will has managed to hone this into a further magnificent musical tool. Goosebumps all round. With some wonderful banter sprinkled in, Will is quite the showman, even throwing some James Brown-esq shenanigans in for good measure- “I can’t go on”. I could go to this show every night and enjoy it as much as the first. This wasn’t just another gig, it was an amazing night out, with a lovely host.

Will Young was my first real love (blush) and he is still right up there.

http://vulturehound.co.uk/2015/11/will-you...am-live-review/

This post has been edited by truly talented: Nov 9 2015, 10:29 PM

+Quote this post
ros
post Nov 9 2015, 11:37 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 14,601
There really are some greys reviews this tour, and well deserved too.

+Quote this post
suggy
post Nov 10 2015, 10:38 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I've loved reading all these fantastic reviews, well deserved and it's amazing how much more he gives with every tour he does, what a man. yahoo.gif

+Quote this post
Sunday
post Nov 11 2015, 01:55 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
If Simon Cowell had his way, Will Young would never have won the inaugural series of proto-X Factor franchise Pop Idol and might well be crooning for his supper on a cruise liner somewhere. But the former politics and history student overcame Old Waggly Brows' objections and swept to victory - a triumph he has parleyed into an impressively subversive career as an openly out mainstream pop star.

His individuality and talent were unmistakable throughout this sell-out Olympia show. Dressed in an unlikely melange of butcher's apron and David Beckham sarong, Young began by belting out bravura new single Brave Man facing a wind tunnel that spat confetti.

The performance was epic and impassioned, entirely worthy of an edgy track which has caused a stir for an accompanying video featuring a naked trans individual .

Young has cannily established himself as a sort of one-man Pet Shop Boys, blending playful, pleading irony and knowing camp and working with the best songwriters he can lay his paws on (producers on chart-topping latest LP 85% Proof include Ellie Goulding writer Jim Eliot).

Yet he was inevitably required to make concessions to the reality TV crowd that has stayed with him for the past 13 years, including a dinner party version of Light My Fire that had you craving a glass of wine and a plate of canapés.

There's also the issue of his sub-Graham Norton banter. He loves a good put-down, our Will - especially if he can wedge the word 'poo' in (as when playfully heckling a punter with the misfortune to stand-up as Young embarked on one of inbetween-song routines).

But while his various monologues offer ding-dong entertainment, they arguably detract from his best tunes, such as the Coldplay-esque Joy, performed as another confetti blizzard swirled.

More than a decade since he was introduced to us as reality telly fodder, Young has proved that ability and a determination to stand for something can bring you a long way. They may carry him further yet.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/mu...m-34184033.html

Irish Independent

+Quote this post
truly talented
post Nov 12 2015, 04:02 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
WOW!!! cheer.gif w00t.gif And so richly deserved. yahoo.gif

Will Young at Newcastle City Hall

Forget 85% Proof, Will Young gave 100% and the proof of his success lay in a superb hour and a half show of classic hits and newbies at Newcastle City Hall.

In the 14 years since he first came to the public consciousness thanks to Pop Idol he has, unlike so many talent show winners since then, stayed at the top of his game and not just that but successfully ventured into the worlds of acting and writing too.

Part of that success must surely be down to the fact he doesn’t play by the rules – and that is true away from the stage too.

As with all Will Young gigs there was plenty banter with the audience and at the City Hall we found out he certainly was a rule breaker as he told us he had been fined by the city’s Hotel du Vin for smoking in his hotel room!

When it came to the performance though, the rule was give the best you can and it was one he did not break.

Will owned the stage, from the start with Brave Man where he battled against the elements courtesy of a wind machine to the finish when he ended with the appropriate Leave Right Now.

The voice is in great shape (despite the smoking!!) and his attire – a sort of jumpsuit-cum-kimono – just added to the overall visual element.

The newer tracks were interspersed with all the big oldies, yet sat alongside them perfectly and received equal adulation from the audience.

Like a River built from a mellow beginning to a stunning energetic performance, while Gold saw him showered in confetti-esque gold, much of which stuck to his body and remained there for the rest of the concert.

There was an enjoyable Generation Game-style conveyor belt section where he threw tour merchandise and, yes, a cuddly toy into the audience. Quite why I’m not sure, but it was fun all the same.

At the end of the day, though, it was all down to the performances of Will, his cracking trio of backing singers and his band.

Boy did they deliver. Thank You was mesmerising, Your Game upping the tempo, while Jealousy rounded off the set superbly before an encore of Love Revolution, Joy and Leave Right Now.

Joy is an apt word to describe the atmosphere throughout the show.

Yes Will is still a Pop Idol, but he’s much, much more than that, as this classy and truly memorable gig proved. Long may he reign!

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/mu...e-city-10431276

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:32 PM