BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'Like A Virgin' • album discussion, 2nd album | 1984
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post May 7 2020, 01:31 PM
Post #1
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

A place to discuss Madonna's 2nd studio album 'Like A Virgin'. Released in 1984.

1. Material Girl
2. Angel
3. Like a Virgin
4. Over and Over
5. Love Don't Live Here Anymore
6. Dress You Up
7. Shoo-Bee-Doo
8. Pretender
9. Stay

What are your thoughts on this album? Share any opinions, memories, favourite songs, or just discuss it anytime you're re-listening!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post May 7 2020, 01:31 PM
Post #2

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post May 8 2020, 08:39 PM
Post #3

I don't return to this album much tbh. I appreciate it as one of the most iconic albums she's ever released but it doesn't have many (any?) of my favourite songs. It seems very of its time, which most of her albums avoid being!

Favourite song is probably 'Material Girl'!

+Quote Post
dandy*
post May 8 2020, 08:41 PM
Post #4
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

I think this album is utter drivel to be honest. I've never returned to it, possibly Dress You Up would be my favourite track but I'm not mad about any of them.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post May 9 2020, 09:55 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(dandy* @ May 8 2020, 09:41 PM) *
I think this album is utter drivel to be honest. I've never returned to it, possibly Dress You Up would be my favourite track but I'm not mad about any of them.

ohmy.gif! I don't think I've ever seen you so harsh to a Madonna album. I get it though, although the singles are iconic, even they aren't the most enjoyable to listen to now especially because she has so much more, finer material to choose from.

Do you like Love Doesn't Live Here Anymore at least?

+Quote Post
dandy*
post May 9 2020, 10:59 AM
Post #6
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

Not really, no. It’s passable but I’d never choose to put it on. The album is too old for me to remember it at the time but I’m baffled as to why it was so successful, although other mid 80s albums I’ve heard since are equally dodgy so maybe the whole time period was just below average for albums.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post May 9 2020, 11:28 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

I can see why it was so successful given the Madonna-mania of 1985 and the music being so cheery and catchy, although I don't quite understand why it gets retroactively regarded as one of her best when you consider all her work since. Tbf, the album only really took off at the time of 'Into the Groove' and Live Aid (I assume the re-issue came at the same time) and remained high in the chart throughout Christmas and into the start of 1986, so that's where a great deal of its sales come from. It also has the benefit of gaining decent trickle sales from subsequent releases.

Listening to the album now, I feel like I might have judged the album too harshly. It's still low ranking on her discography but I can enjoy it for what it is: catchy, feel-good pop. I think the album benefits a lot with 'Into the Groove' as the centerpiece and it would have been good if 'Crazy For You' could be placed in there somewhere.

Highlights from the main album: 'Angel', 'Love Don't Live Here Anymore', 'Dress You Up'. Oh I also have a soft spot for 'Shoo Bee Doo', the part where the music gets going reminds me of something used in a John Hughes film or something. Probably doesn't need to be 5 minutes long though.

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post May 9 2020, 01:55 PM
Post #8
Jord
Group: Members
Member No.: 27,116

It’s quite a cute album in some ways. It has potential and she’s definitely released worse than this but it’s also far from her best as well.

Easy to see why it was so successful though.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post May 10 2020, 06:33 PM
Post #9

I too can see why it was a big success: easy to digest pop, with killer visuals and the rise of a new superstar, and i'm glad it was as big as it was because it helped cement her as a force to be reckoned with. She had so much to say, and this was just the start.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Jun 8 2020, 07:46 PM
Post #10
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

Moving onto this album. Reading through this thread is interesting... but I think I agree with the general consensus. The highs seem to be higher (the singles more or less - although I really like 'Over and Over' too), but everything else is just a bit... boring and plodding (or grating in the case of 'Angel'). 'Into The Groove' isn't on this on Spotify, but ofc I know it, I've just never been into this as much as I perhaps should be, similarly to 'Holiday' actually (but better than that). A step up in production quality though and the vocal mixing is improving tongue.gif

My ranking:
1. Material Girl
2. Like a Virgin
3. Dress You Up
4. Over and Over
5. Into The Groove
6. Pretender
7. Stay
8. Shoo-Bee-Doo
9. Angel
10. Love Don't Live Here Anymore > I actually had this above 'Angel'... but then it decided to never end... so... <

Apart from the singles and 'Over and Over', I'm not sure I'm going to be bothered about any of the others. 'Pretender' & 'Stay' are cute enough though. But the rest are just inessential, imo.

Album Ranking:
01. Madonna
02. Like A Virgin

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 8 2020, 08:15 PM
Post #11

'Over and Over' is growing on me a lot as I listen to it more on the 'You Can Dance' remix album! 'Into The Groove' is a stonecold classic and never fails to put me in a good mood wub.gif

'Shoo-Bee-Doo' is probably my least fave on this - I really need to do relistens and rankings tbh. 'Love Don't Live Here Anymore' too low for you!

This is definitely another album that is of its time, but I promise it all gets much better after this laugh.gif

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Jun 8 2020, 08:27 PM
Post #12
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

Absolutely - you're through the worst now Jonjo!

Will be interesting to see your thoughts on True Blue, I loved it as a little kid but I can't imagine whether it sounds just as dated or not to newer ears...

+Quote Post
vibe
post Jun 8 2020, 08:29 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

This and Mdna are my least favourite albums.

The inclusion of ITG was needed. Her debut is so much better .

I guess this album only needed those two huge singles to make it sell. The album cover is stunning.

The queen of MTV at the time and the world. She could have released anything and it would have been a hit.

I do have a soft spot for Angel and Over and Over.

LDLHA I only adored after going to the rebel heart gig .

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Jun 8 2020, 08:32 PM
Post #14
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

Oh that's true... MDNA doesn't exist in my world so I always forget about it laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Jun 8 2020, 08:38 PM
Post #15
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

Looking at the True Blue tracklist and it already looks 10x stronger based on the songs I know. I actually adore the title track, I think that was the first ever Madonna track I heard and realised it was her (my dad put it onto a video tape of a whole load of music videos and live performances etc.. and that was on it wub.gif) so I'm excited to hear the album in full!

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Jun 8 2020, 09:45 PM
Post #16
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

My ratings of this album:

01. Material Girl = 10/10
02. Angel = 8/10
03. Like A Virgin = 10/10
04. Over and Over = 8/10
05. Love Don't Live Here Anymore = 8/10
06. Into The Groove = 10/10
07. Dress You Up = 10/10
08. Shoo-Bee-Doo = 5/10
09. Pretender = 7/10
10. Stay = 6/10

My ranking:

1. Into The Groove
2. Material Girl
3. Like A Virgin
4. Dress You Up
5. Angel
6. Over and Over
7. Love Don't Live Here Anymore
8. Pretender
9. Stay
10. Shoo-Bee-Doo

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jun 11 2020, 12:43 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

This era is more about visuals and themes and Madonna doubling-down on her playful, provocative attitude than it is about the music itself, for me. As I said earlier in the thread, I do appreciate the care-free, feel-good nature of the music but Madonna has bettered it many times since. Knowing that Nile Rodgers produced the album, I'd have expected the music to hold up better than it has.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Jan 6 2021, 05:58 PM
Post #18

Continuing my listening of Madonna albums with this one today.

1. Dress You Up
2. Material Girl
3. Like a Virgin
4. Over and Over
5. Pretender
6. Angel
7. Love Don't Live Here Anymore
8. Stay
9. Shoo-Bee-Doo

This album, similarly to the debut, is very much an album of its time steeped in nostalgia and I think the difference with this is that it helped to establish that nostalgia and it became synonymous with the sounds of the time. A truly iconic album in every sense of the word, but with her standard of albums that followed, it still ranks fairly low for me because of the amount of filler it racks up. The singles are all varying degress of fantastic and make up the top 3 songs on the albums for me even though Angel is considerably weaker then the others. Over and Over is the best album track for me - insanely catchy and high-octane! Pretender is decent because it's fairly bold and stands out amongst the rest of the album tracks that can verge on the repetitive/annoying side. I also really like the instrumental production in it. Shoo-Bee-Doo is my least favourite on here and one of my least liked songs from her overall too! Overall the album doesn't have the dizzying heights or the consistency of many of her other albums, but it has some really cute, quaint, retro moments that mean I can return to it and enjoy it.

Albums ranking
1. Madonna
2. Like A Virgin

+Quote Post
Hotlady
post Jan 6 2021, 07:15 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 4,586
   No Gallery Pics

I really like this album it amazing. I'm favourite song from this album would be Over and Over . I really love that song.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Jan 6 2021, 07:40 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

for the over and over fans watch the live version from the Virgin Tour on youtube !!!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:15 AM