BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lewis's Countdown Of One Hit Wonders Of The Millennium Pt. 2, 2010-2019 (Started)
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Peral-Turret32
post Jun 24 2019, 11:30 AM
Post #21
I'd like your $8-est bottle of wine, please
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

Really like Why Don't You with its electro swing style.
Number One Enemy is okay, though Chip's verse felt kinda out of place.

Also, Phillip George had two UK Top 20 hits (Wish You Were Mine, Alone No More)

This post has been edited by Darwin Turretson: Jun 24 2019, 11:32 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Jun 24 2019, 11:56 AM
Post #22
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 18,293
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Darwin Turretson @ Jun 24 2019, 12:30 PM) *
Really like Why Don't You with its electro swing style.
Number One Enemy is okay, though Chip's verse felt kinda out of place.

Also, Phillip George had two UK Top 20 hits (Wish You Were Mine, Alone No More)

I have to agree about Chipmunk's verse. Would have been much better without it.

You're certainly right about Philip George. I completely forgot about Alone No More and was too lazy to check the list I made laugh.gif

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Jun 25 2019, 09:22 PM
Post #23
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Young Money ft Lloyd - BedRock

Peak: 09
Chart Run: 61-40-34-28-27-22-18-18-12-9-19-16-18-20-22-29-33-45-63-63-73-84-86-91 (24 weeks)
Nearly a hit: N/A

Commentary: Young Money is a record label founded by Lil Wayne that homes such talent as Drake, Nicki Minaj and Christina Milian. In a similar way to GOOD Music (Cruel Summer) and Shady Records (Shady XV), they have been known to release projects as a whole and this single represents the most successful example of such.

The song is probably most notable for four things. 1) it was released not long after Forever (still one his best singles) when Drake was beginning to blow up, 2) for the most part (certainly to me at least) introduced the world to Nicki Minaj, 3) using one of cheesiest pick-up lines in its admittedly all-too catchy chorus and 4) featuring a bunch of other random-artists signed to the label (Shanell anyone?) in the video without them having any part on the song.

Aside from the obvious, what always really stuck out in this song to me is Nicki Minaj. And that’s only 50% because I was 12 and found her insanely attractive in the video. She stood out as the verse that truly nails the fun tone of the song. While she’s largely abandoned it now, it’s no surprise that her massive subsequent follow-ups all embodied the same, upbeat vibe (Starships, Super Bass and her features on Where Them Girls At & Turn Me On). While the highlight of her career is undoubtedly her all-timer verse on Monster, I think her best work is usually the light stuff rather than her darker output.

I didn’t mean to spend that long talking about Nicki kink.gif I absolutely loved this song at the time and while I don’t think it has held up particularly well, it’s still fun for the occasional listen. Wayne’s verse is decent, Gudda Gudda’s is memorable, Drake’s is solid, Tyga’s is a bit naff but still charming none-the-less and Jae Millz’s is nice. Although, to this day, I still have to wonder what Gudda Gudda means when he says “and I got her, n****, grocery bag”.

Fun fact about Young Money: notable previous artists signed to Young Money/Cash Money include Omarion, DJ Khaled and Austin Mahone (!)

Dedication to anyone who can spot the two artists that we get a taste of on this song whom are one-hit wonders in their own right and are still to come.

Rating: 9/10

+Quote Post
Peral-Turret32
post Jun 30 2019, 06:40 PM
Post #24
I'd like your $8-est bottle of wine, please
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

They had a Top 40 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 before that Bedrock song called "Every Girl In The World"

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Jul 20 2019, 03:30 PM
Post #25
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Darwin Turretson @ Jun 30 2019, 07:40 PM) *
They had a Top 40 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 before that Bedrock song called "Every Girl In The World"

I think I might remember that one. I will have to give it a listen.

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Jul 20 2019, 03:30 PM
Post #26
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

McLean - My Name

Peak: 10
Chart Run: 10-13-18-20-21-29-34-52-73 (9 weeks)
Nearly a hit: Finally In Love (#44)

Commentary: McLean (aka Digga) is a British singer hailing from Dagenham, London. A bit of a theme is starting to occur here as, just like Girls Can’t Catch & Daisy Dares You before, McLean is yet to release a debut album. Even though Stormzy’s favourite producer Fraser T. Smith (on the chords) described him as “the modern day Marvin Gaye”.

I had forgotten about this song, but a re-listen is starting to bring the memories back. It’s a pretty pleasant slice of RnB but nowhere near the quality of the best RnB tunes of the decade before. I’m struggling to find anything to say about this song. It’s perfectly listenable but hardly remarkable. I see there’s a Boy Better Know remix, I’m sure that livens it up a bit. As it is, it’s just nice background music.

Fun fact about McLean: His younger brother is ex-premier league footballer Aaron McLean.

Rating: 6/10

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Jul 31 2019, 08:34 PM
Post #27
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Joshua Radin - I’d Rather Be With You

Peak: 11
Chart Run: 11-11-25-35-53-82 (6 weeks)

Joshua Radin is an American singer who has released 7 albums, with his most successful, 2008’s ‘Simple Times’ reaching the top 10 in the UK (two years after its original release) and 34 in the US. Unsurprisingly, it is also the album that homes his only single to chart, just missing the top 10 here and reaching a modest #82 in his native country.

‘I’d Rather Be With You’ was finally released in the UK as his debut single in the country in 2010, promoted by a new video featuring Heroes actress Hayden Panettiere. The song seemingly owes much of its success to the TV show Scrubs who featured in season 8 episode ‘My Cookie Pants’. This may be why its original video was directed by, none other than J.D himself, Zach Braff and starring another blonde actress (Joshua must have a type) Katrina Bowden.

Listening to it now and yeah, it really does sound like a conglomeration of all the songs you’d hear in the background of an episode of Scrubs laugh.gif It’s a very laid-back song about falling in love with someone you’ve known for a long time. However, it does feel a bit too laid-back at times; the line “I need to be bold” needs to be sung with a bit more oomph or it just doesn’t impact and feels a tad unconvincing and emotionless. In the end the songs fine and inoffensive. I’m sure many would find it sweet but it does nothing to stand-out among a sea of similarly sounding and structured MOR songs.

I’m not quite sure why this song in particular is the one that blown-up for him seeming that, while it does song like the song which could be a radio-staple, this doesn't appear to be the case as I had never heard it before and it’s last play on the BBC was all the way back in April; and even then it was only on BBC Radio Ulster.

Fun fact about Joshua Radin: While I’m not much of a fan, Ellen DeGeneres certainly is! So much so that she booked Radin to play at her wedding.

Rating: 5/10

+Quote Post
TheJüpreme
post Aug 5 2019, 01:35 PM
Post #28
they're girls - and cousins too!!
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

I recall I actually bought Daisy Dares You's single on itunes at the time - largely bc I loved the show as a kid! Not much else memorable here, I'm with you on Gramophonedzie - it always sounded like it was going to go somewhere more interesting than it did given the unusual sample & setup before the drop.

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Aug 14 2019, 01:19 PM
Post #29
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(TheJüpreme @ Aug 5 2019, 02:35 PM) *
I recall I actually bought Daisy Dares You's single on itunes at the time - largely bc I loved the show as a kid! Not much else memorable here, I'm with you on Gramophonedzie - it always sounded like it was going to go somewhere more interesting than it did given the unusual sample & setup before the drop.

Yeah I think the Gramophonedzie track promised a lot with its premise and build-up but then couldn't deliver anything interesting. Wasted potential.

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Aug 14 2019, 01:21 PM
Post #30
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Fyfe Dangerfield - She’s Always A Woman

Peak: 07
Chart Run: 99-14-7-9-15-20-29-36-33-42-60-76-66-70-84-90-(x)-61-(x)-95 (18 weeks)

Fyfe Dangerfield is an English singer who has already appeared in this countdown as a member of 2008 one-hit-wonder band ‘gUiLLeMoTs’. He has also been a member of other bands such as Senseless Prayer, Fyfe Dangerfield & The Accident, The Courtesy Group & gaNNets. As a solo artist, he has released one album ‘Fly Yellow Moon’ which reached #12. However, it did spawn one hit, in large part thanks to the rulers of Christmas, John Lewis. The advert in question features the life of a girl, growing up from a baby to getting married and having children (and grandchildren) of her own.

She’s Always A Woman was originally a 1975 Billy Joel song which peaked at #53 in the UK as a double A-side together with ‘Just The Way You Are’. Thanks to the popularity of this Fyfe Dangerfield cover and advert, it also managed to re-enter the chart in 2010, eventually peaking at #29. Joel wrote the song as an ode to his then-wife, Elizabeth Weber. He noted that others saw her as a “tough and savvy businessperson” which lead to her being described as “unfeminine”. The song was to remined her that she was “always a woman” to him.

This really is the perfect song for a John Lewis ad, but, in my opinion, Fyfe Dangerfield doesn’t really add enough to the song to justify listening to it over the original. He performs it at a slightly faster tempo and his voice is nice but its still sticks a little too close to Joel’s version. Another problem I have with this is that it lacks the emotion you would expect. I think it works well within the context of the advert, but the actual heart of the ad comes from the visuals and without them the song leaves me a bit cold. With all that said, this is still a perfectly alright listen but I think that’s more to do with being a nice song rather than anything related to Fyfe’s performance.

Fun fact about Fyfe Dangerfield: He was one of the panellists in the infamous episode of Never Mind The Buzzcocks where Preston walked off stage after Simon Amstell read a passage from his girlfriend, Chantelle’s autobiography.

Rating: 6/10

This post has been edited by LewisGT: Aug 14 2019, 01:24 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2019 - 11:04 AM