BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
28 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Neon Nights ● album discussion, Dannii ● 4th album ● 2003
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Mar 27 2018, 02:25 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

01. Put the Needle On It
02. Creep
03. I Begin to Wonder
04. Hey! (So What)
05. For the Record
06. Mighty Fine
07. On the Loop
08. Push
09. Mystified
10. Don't Wanna Lose This Feeling
11. Vibe On
12. A Piece of Time
13. Who Do You Love Now?
14. It Won't Work Out
15. Come and Get It [Sebastian Krieg Remix]

Share your Neon Nights thoughts and memories below!

TRIBUTE: Celebrating 15 Years of Dannii Minogue’s ‘Neon Nights’
March 17, 2018 | Quentin Harrison

Happy 15th Anniversary to Dannii Minogue’s fourth studio album Neon Nights, originally released March 17, 2003.

At the time of its release in 1997, Girl presented Australian vocalist Dannii Minogue in top form. An energizing mix of dance and pop, her third studio album was meant to reposition Minogue commercially and critically. Though its reviews were promising, its sales were tepid. Still, Girl gave the singer many opportunities, touring and otherwise.

One such opportunity presented itself to Minogue in 2001. Approached by the Dutch disc jockey duo Zki and Dobri, also known collectively as Riva, Minogue was invited to provide vocals for a hot and heavy dancefloor track they had put together. Minogue took the gentlemen up on their offer and “Who Do You Love Now?” followed shortly thereafter in that same year. Audiences in Europe and beyond, both mainstream and underground, went crazy for the track.

Minogue's partnership with Riva was, without a doubt, enduring proof of her credibility—and marketability—in dance music circles. Minogue could have stayed comfortably nestled in that environment, but she was ready for the next step. With an acute working knowledge of dance genre principles cultivated over three albums, Minogue sought to plot a record that could bring these components together—but with a pop perspective.

Not long after “Who Do You Love Now?,” brainstorming for Neon Nights, Minogue's fourth studio long player, had gone into high gear. On Girl, the force behind its power was personal, but ironically, Minogue had relinquished its content construction to her creative team. Neon Nights saw Minogue put her hands back into shaping the songs, which were daring, indulging a side of Minogue that had previously only peeked around the corner of certain selections in her canon for those paying attention.

Now, given an entire album to express itself, this area of Minogue's performance psyche embraced the totality of her ego and her sexuality. She would wield these two aspects of herself through the album's assembled material. The songwriting and production personnel—notables including Ian Masterson, Terry Ronald, Hannah Robinson, Savan Kotecha, Henrik Korpi, Matthias “Blackcell” Johansson, Karen Poole and Jean-Claude Ades—were pivotal in working with Minogue to draft canvases suitable for this persona to come to life.

Neon Nights is a retro-contemporaneous fantasia, showcasing Minogue's encyclopedic awareness of dance music devices to incredible effect. Euro-disco, in a juicy assortment of colors and flavors, displays itself on “I Begin to Wonder” and “Come and Get It,” the latter a sly hidden track within the album's closing piece, the lone cool down number, “It Won't Work Out.” Minogue's enduring fascination with American aestheticism, as politely harvested from electro-funk, R&B and hip-hop origins, are accounted for on “Put the Needle on It” and “Creep.”

And while there are plenty of original sonics to feast upon here, Minogue's love of previously established jams is not disguised on Neon Nights. From the mesmeric interpolations of funk/jazz maestro Tom Browne's “Thighs High (Grip Your Hips and Move)” (on “Mighty Fine”) and avant garde futurists Laidback's “White Horse” (on “Push”), Minogue's tastes are first-rate.

Minogue, ensconced within her record's glowing rhythms and grooves, enjoyed her club siren transformation. The set's verses, bridges and hooks are dressed to the nines on “For the Record” and “Don't Wanna Lose This Feeling,” affirming Minogue's ability to integrate the finer points of pop lyricism into discothèque oriented song structures. Collectively recalling the floor filling vibes of Ibiza, London and New York City—in either 1985 or 2002—Neon Nights was ready to take club culture to the general public like never before.

Racking up three hits—“Put the Needle on It,” “I Begin to Wonder,” “Don't Want to Lose This Feeling”—Neon Nights achieved gold certification in the United Kingdom. Sweetening her chart jackpot was the LP's critical consensus. Almost unanimously, the music press showed support in their assessment of Neon Nights as Minogue's breakout moment. Neon Nights was gorgeously reissued in 2007, packaged with a bountiful supply of B-sides, outtakes and remixes.

Fifteen years later, Neon Nights remains a distinct dance-pop marker, its influence apparent to the discerning ear. Nowhere else could one come in contact with such a glamorously assembled gaggle of influences that cross decades and sounds to unite the hedonism of the dance floor with the accessibility of pop radio.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Apr 1 2018, 10:34 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Idol

I've not heard the album in its entirety yet, but the four singles all rank among her best. 'Who Do You Love Now?' and 'I Begin to Wonder' are two I remember as a kid so they have that extra nostalgic value. Must get round to listening to the album; that review really hypes it up.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Apr 1 2018, 01:12 PM
Post #3
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

One of the best albums EVER in history. wub.gif

15 years. ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Regina
post Apr 1 2018, 08:35 PM
Post #4
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

I Begin To Wonder is an abomination.

Vibe On is the song about vibrators we all need in our lives, and Nervous is one of my fave Dannii songs.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Apr 2 2018, 02:06 PM
Post #5
Break the tension

Emphatically disagree with that assessment of 'I Begin To Wonder'!

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Apr 2 2018, 07:16 PM
Post #6
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Member No.: 3,217

I Begin to Wonder is my favourite. wub.gif Haven’t heard this album in years, but I remember enjoying it a lot in 2003! It’s the only Dannii album I’ve heard.

Neon Nights is getting a vinyl release soon btw! And a CD re-release.

* Vinyl 2×12" Limited edition 180g pink and blue vinyl pressing Individually signed Dannii Minogue print for initial pre-orders (Estimated Shipping: 24.05.18)
* Deluxe CD package (33 tracks) Individually signed Dannii Minogue print for initial pre-orders (Estimated Shipping: 24.05.18)

+Quote Post
slowdown73
post Apr 2 2018, 07:40 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 1,031
   No Gallery Pics

Not my favourite Dannii album but it’s certainly got some classic hits on it and stands out as being her most successful album commercially. The deluxe editions of all the albums are great and include some decent bonus tracks and remixes. Dannii has never been short of decent remixes of her songs, unlike Kylie particularly with the Parlophone era.

This post has been edited by slowdown73: Apr 2 2018, 07:41 PM

+Quote Post
slowdown73
post Apr 2 2018, 10:43 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Apr 2 2018, 08:16 PM) *
I Begin to Wonder is my favourite. wub.gif Haven’t heard this album in years, but I remember enjoying it a lot in 2003! It’s the only Dannii album I’ve heard.

Neon Nights is getting a vinyl release soon btw! And a CD re-release.

Where did you hear about the album reissues? There is nothing up on Amazon yet. There were 33 tracks on the deluxe reissue in 2007 so I’m guessing this will feature the same track list but possibly be remastered.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Apr 2 2018, 10:47 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(slowdown73 @ Apr 2 2018, 11:43 PM) *
Where did you hear about the album reissues? There is nothing up on Amazon yet. There were 33 tracks on the deluxe reissue in 2007 so I’m guessing this will feature the same track list but possibly be remastered.

Dannii announced it on Twitter:

Get ready for the #NeonNights vinyl experience - pre-sale announced this week!!! #Danniiversary
Will #NeonNights be re-released on cd for the #Danniiversary?

Yes, CD, to download, stream, and on vinyl!

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jun 22 2018, 12:36 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Idol

Neon Nights is now available to buy on vinyl for the first time! The CD has also been restocked.

Amazon UK:
To celebrate the 15th anniversary, Dannii Minogue and London Records release Neon Nights on double black vinyl (including download card) for the very first time. Plus a re-release deluxe CD package of Dannii’s classic album. Includes bonus tracks and remixes by Tiga, Jason Nevins and Almighty. A veritable pick and mix of the European dance scene at the time, Neon Nights spawned four Top 10 hit singles in the UK 'Who Do You Love Now?' (No.3), 'Put The Needle On It' (No.7), 'I Begin To Wonder' (No.2) and 'Don't Wanna Lose This Feeling' (No.5). The album reached No.8 on the UK Official Albums Chart and was certified Gold. In Australia it was nominated for "Best Pop Release" at the 2003 ARIA Music Awards.

"It’s one thing to create an excellent three-and-a-half-minute dance-pop song, but another to sustain the appeal over an entire album. Kylie managed it with Fever, Madonna followed suit on Confessions on a Dance Floor. Dannii’s contribution to the genre on Neon Nights is every bit as good as those classics." – IDOLATOR

Dannii says: "When I embarked on a solo recording career and released my first album in 1990, music was only released on 7” and 12” vinyl. Fast forward through my album releases and throw in a bunch of technology changes; cassingles, cassette albums, CDs, Mini CDs and we are finally back to vinyl! Neon Nights never had a vinyl release - it was the 90’s, and the industry was entering the digital age, and no-one was looking back at this experience of music listening. Thankfully Gen Y has embraced the nostalgia of the record player, so you finally get to Put The Needle On It with these tracks (please turn the volume up loud enough to annoy your neighbours!)."

+Quote Post
___∆___
post Jun 22 2018, 01:28 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 3,155

Dannii seems genuinely excited about the re-release so I hope it can somehow sneak back into the charts - this album along with ‘Girl’ are my most listened to Dannii albums and such career high points IMO.

This post has been edited by ___∆___: Jun 22 2018, 01:28 PM

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Jun 22 2018, 01:40 PM
Post #12
Break the tension

I'd probably actually say I like this more than any of Kylie's albums. ohmy.gif Even though Kylie is my number one and she's had some GREAT albums.

+Quote Post
pippa
post Jun 22 2018, 02:39 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

I did purchase the album a few years back as it was on offer for £5.
It is a solid album, but outside the singles it in large lacked sparkle for me.

+Quote Post
SmileyKylie
post Jun 22 2018, 05:16 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 20,515
   No Gallery Pics

CREEP is one of her best songs ever. Should have bee a single.

+Quote Post
pippa
post Jun 22 2018, 06:35 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

It would be wonderful if Neon Nights can sell enough to make a return to the chart this coming week so we can have the 2 sisters back on the chart at the same time.

+Quote Post
slowdown73
post Jun 22 2018, 11:29 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

I’m disappointed they have reissued the album with basically the same track list as the last deluxe edition. I’ve already got the last edition so there is no incentive to buy this sadly. It is a good album and full of good remixes and interesting bonus tracks though.

+Quote Post
Monzo
post Jun 23 2018, 07:20 AM
Post #17
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 349
   No Gallery Pics

I still wonder why Dannii lost momentum after this album. I loved all four singles of "Neon Nights", but then "You Won't Forget About Me" came along and it just couldn't compete with them, in creativity and in sales, same with "Perfection" and so on... Not that didn't like any of her follow-up singles, but I just wasn't mad about any of them.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Jun 23 2018, 10:35 AM
Post #18
Break the tension

The reason it all happened is because the label that released Neon Nights went bankrupt, so she had to find a new label and was lumbered with AATW who completely ruined everything. sad.gif

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Jun 23 2018, 12:38 PM
Post #19
Hello?
Member No.: 116
   No Gallery Pics

I bought this yesterday, nice to see it on vinyl in HMV too!

I thought You Won't Forget About Me and Perfection were both excellent and could have served as great singles from a Neon Nights follow up. But then they were just tacked onto The Hits and Beyond with a few other tracks and it was just a pointless exercise, and subsequent single releases from that point onwards were nothing special.

She had good momentum/goodwill following Neon Nights and could have done a lot more with it if luck had been on her side.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Jun 23 2018, 04:26 PM
Post #20
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

YWFAM and Perfection were gonna be singles from Club Disco whcih was meant to be the follow-up to NN, but they went with Hits & Beyond instead.

+Quote Post

28 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:50 PM