BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ida, The Polish entry for the "Best Foreign Language Film" 2015
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Insomnio
post Dec 3 2014, 12:00 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 10,742
   No Gallery Pics

"Ida" is a Polish black and white movie that came out in my country's cinemas one month ago. It has been getting rave reviews wherever it screened and it won many awards at various famous festivals. "Ida" is the formal proposal of Poland for the category of "Best Foreign Language Film" in the upcoming Oscar! I read an interview from director Paweł Pawlikowski, that "Ida" differs from all the other films that he has watched so far in his life. So, his statement was very intriguing to me. Finally, he was right but in a bad way.
"Ida" is definitely one of the most boring movies I've seen at the cinema and the most boring movie of this year (so far)! The black and white dingy and depressing shots and the very few dialogues tired us a lot. If I did not drink two coffees that day, I would have fallen asleep in the cinema hall. Honestly, I can not find a reason to recommend it to anyone to watch. The story was more of the same (again with Jews, again with executions), the performances were cold and indifferent (except for the actress that plays Ida's aunt) and its development literally froze in the last half hour. Definitely, the directing wasn't bad and the cinematography was remarkable, however, the rest lacked a lot. If death could have represented from a movie, it wouldn't be anything but "Ida", because all the events happened excruciatingly slowly during the film. It was only 80 minutes but it felt like a whole century passed by. Nevertheless, I can't get over the fact that the movie theater was full of viewers. Of course, the majority of them were hipsters and culture lovers who never miss these kinds of films. However, the bad thing about them is that they always criticize badly the most cinematic works which do not have the "quality standards" such as "Ida". In additionally, many of them happen to have a professional capacity over films (magazines, newspapers, television) and influence many people with their suggestions. I think that they are the wrong people in the right places. The dead silence that accompanied most of the scenes were very annoying to me and I felt cheated from all those reviews. Well they say in my country : "Where you hear many cherries, keep a small basket".
"Ida" is one of those movies that does not sell many tickets. However, it's one of the movies that has loyal audience who watches these movies in the cinema and not at their homes (as other genres). It has seven nominations for the 27th European Film Awards, and something tells me that it will come out winning in some of them. Moreover, the same thing happened last year with the unutterable "La Grande Bellezza" which literally swept most categories! Hopefully, this will not be repeated with the Academy Award for "Best Foreign Language Film" at the 87th Academy Awards Film because I will lose any idea of this ceremony which honors cinematic achievements in the film industry.

This post has been edited by Insomnio: Dec 3 2014, 12:01 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:23 PM