BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Harvey Weinstein - Hollywood's Dark Heart
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Brett-Butler
post Oct 11 2017, 05:19 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455
Like most people, I've been watching the recent allegations surrounding Hollywood super-producer Harvey Weinstein, getting even sicker in my stomach with every further allegation surrounding him and with every fresh victim that has come forward. The fallout began in the New York Times last week, when an investigation discovered that Weinstein had been sexually abusing women for decades and had paid multiple women off. The reaction was immediate, as more and more actresses began to come forward with their stories of abuse at Weinstein, and a further story in the New Yorker alleged that he had also raped several women.

This is a story that is going to run for quite a while, and the aftermath is going to be monumental for both Hollywood, and the media world in general. There are many people within Hollywood who could be complicit in covering up Harvey Weinstein's horrific actions, including actors such as Russell Crowe & Matt Damon, who are alleged to have helped kill a 2004 story in the New York Times that would have outed him as a serial abuser. And then there's the countless people in both Hollywood and the larger media world who were aware of Weinstein, but were either bought off or turned a blind eye to his actions. There's also the political angle, as Weinstein was a major Democratic fundraiser, heavily supporting Hilary Clinton's presidential campaign, whilst Barrack Obama's daughter worked for Weinstein's production company as an intern over the summer. And it could spark off stories about other abusers within Hollywood - last night, Terry Crews took to Twitter to claim he had been sexually assaulted last year by a major Hollywood name, so this could end up being the tip of the iceberg.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Oct 11 2017, 06:44 PM
Post #2
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
I never thought about that last point in particular detail before having pf course heard about both these events and Terry Crews. Possibly the Hollywood version of Saville (although on a much lesser scale I would hope)?

Possibly related but a key member of YouTube channel Screen Junkies (possibly the biggest movie related channel) has alsp been accused of sexual assault by various women which was hushed by their HR department.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 11 2017, 09:25 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
One would have hoped that the casting couch was a thing of the past these days, though it's been part of Hollywood for most of the 20th century - along with women having to tolerate getting groped for most of the 20th century. Re: Democrats being the "political angle" - well, only if Trump (President, and Republican leader) stops using his office to avoid court cases for the same, not to mention Ailes, and other staunch Republican powerful media types who have lost their jobs recently for similar behaviour (that would be Rupert Murdoch's company).

So, errr, anyone making political capital out of the behaviour of an individual that wasn't public knowledge would be a bit of a "plague on both your houses"....

Speculation on who may or may not have helped cover-up allegations should really wait until someone comes forward to the police with accusations of the same. That report alleges they rang as character witnesses for a report that was about to be written, and they denied knowing his tendencies. Stupid, maybe. Naive definitely in retrospect. The reporter could still have ignored them and the New York Times published them if they felt they could substantiate it. Just like the British media could have done with recently convicted celebrities who anyone would have been happy to vouch for as character witnesses - BEFORE the evidence came out.

For the record I have also been publicly groped front and rear in a busy public area (with hundreds of witnesses) by a "mime artist" in full make-up, and who for some reason stopped "performing" shortly after. Fortunately I'm not the sensitive type (in that respect), more a bit embarrassed, but many folk might have been mortified.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Oct 12 2017, 09:37 PM
Post #4
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88
QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Oct 11 2017, 06:19 PM) *
Like most people, I've been watching the recent allegations surrounding Hollywood super-producer Harvey Weinstein, getting even sicker in my stomach with every further allegation surrounding him and with every fresh victim that has come forward. The fallout began in the New York Times last week, when an investigation discovered that Weinstein had been sexually abusing women for decades and had paid multiple women off. The reaction was immediate, as more and more actresses began to come forward with their stories of abuse at Weinstein, and a further story in the New Yorker alleged that he had also raped several women.

This is a story that is going to run for quite a while, and the aftermath is going to be monumental for both Hollywood, and the media world in general. There are many people within Hollywood who could be complicit in covering up Harvey Weinstein's horrific actions, including actors such as Russell Crowe & Matt Damon, who are alleged to have helped kill a 2004 story in the New York Times that would have outed him as a serial abuser. And then there's the countless people in both Hollywood and the larger media world who were aware of Weinstein, but were either bought off or turned a blind eye to his actions. There's also the political angle, as Weinstein was a major Democratic fundraiser, heavily supporting Hilary Clinton's presidential campaign, whilst Barrack Obama's daughter worked for Weinstein's production company as an intern over the summer. And it could spark off stories about other abusers within Hollywood - last night, Terry Crews took to Twitter to claim he had been sexually assaulted last year by a major Hollywood name, so this could end up being the tip of the iceberg.

I think a lot of people knew about what went on, I am not sure actors covered it up. I guess what we have to remember is Harvey Weinstein was incredibly powerful. If somebody said something he could practically end heir career, especially when he was at his peak. From what I have read it does seem a lot of people knew, but they were afraid to speak out without any proof. It does seem he was a pretty loathed character. I think it is easy for us to pass judgement but this guy was one of the Kings of Hollywood.

I agree that this story still will have a lot of legs in it, probably quite similar to the Jimmy Saville case where there were lots of rumours but obviously we all know what happened a few years ago.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Oct 13 2017, 05:56 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364
QUOTE(Rooney @ Oct 12 2017, 10:37 PM) *
I think a lot of people knew about what went on, I am not sure actors covered it up. I guess what we have to remember is Harvey Weinstein was incredibly powerful. If somebody said something he could practically end heir career, especially when he was at his peak. From what I have read it does seem a lot of people knew, but they were afraid to speak out without any proof. It does seem he was a pretty loathed character. I think it is easy for us to pass judgement but this guy was one of the Kings of Hollywood.

I agree that this story still will have a lot of legs in it, probably quite similar to the Jimmy Saville case where there were lots of rumours but obviously we all know what happened a few years ago.

But unlike the Saville case, Weinstein can at least be taken to court, and if found guilty, pay for what he did.

From what I've read of him, he wouldn't go down quietly though, as arrogant denials are par for the course when serial abusers finally get caught & convicted.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 13 2017, 07:20 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
When you're young it's difficult to speak out if you know it's going to ruin your career and make you unemployable amongst those using power to their own ends. To those who know nothing of the allegations it makes you appear to be difficult or untrustworthy, so you lose again. That's how it continues.

Seth MacFarlane brought it to public attention 5 years ago to support a friend who told him of HW, in a sharp-aimed joke at an Oscars awards ceremony, though sadly it didn't immediately lead to people speaking out. Better late than never. There are lots of folk out there now trying to blame the women for lack of character. To which I say, I wonder if those saying it are all men...?

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Oct 13 2017, 08:07 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Oct 13 2017, 06:56 AM) *
But unlike the Saville case, Weinstein can at least be taken to court, and if found guilty, pay for what he did.

From what I've read of him, he wouldn't go down quietly though, as arrogant denials are par for the course when serial abusers finally get caught & convicted.

He will, of course, also be able to employ very expensive lawyers.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Oct 23 2017, 06:25 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
Following on from the allegations against Harvey Weinstein, another prominent figure in Hollywood has been accused of horrific harassment on a massive scale, with Oscar-nominated writer/director James Toback being accused of sexual harassment by nearly 40 women. I am shocked, absolutely shocked, that the director of a film called The Pick-Up Artist would be found to have a horrible attitude towards women.

I thought that Weinstein would only be the beginning of the investigation into the rot in Hollywood, and it looks like things are getting deeper. So far it only seems like those on the periphery have been unmasked as abusers, but the longer this goes on, there could be much, much more to come out.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Oct 30 2017, 06:16 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
And following Weinstein and Toback, allegations against a film star has emerged, with former child star Anthony Rapp claiming that Kevin Spacey sexually harassed him when he was just 14. If this is the first of many such allegations surrounding Spacey, then his career will be rightfully over.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Oct 30 2017, 06:20 PM
Post #10
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
Shocking to hear about Kevin Spacey, and choosing this moment to come out as well wasn't the wisest unsure.gif

(And ofc. this ongoing news is awful about Weinstein, particularly these bribes to female stars to keep quiet about rape, ugh :/ Really highlights something horribly wrong about the industry)

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Oct 30 2017, 08:03 PM
Post #11
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
And there probably be more names.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 31 2017, 08:00 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(TheBattenburglar @ Oct 30 2017, 06:16 PM) *
And following Weinstein and Toback, allegations against a film star has emerged, with former child star Anthony Rapp claiming that Kevin Spacey sexually harassed him when he was just 14. If this is the first of many such allegations surrounding Spacey, then his career will be rightfully over.

He has already been found guilty by media - House of Cards has been cancelled and there have been as yet no charges for anything.

Cliff Richard is currently on tour. He was also found guilty by media implication and helicopters around his house, but not actually in a court of law which is where these things should be taken. We now have people like Julia Hartley-Brewer getting headlines for having her knee touched by a minister 15 years ago, which is not in any way a scarred for life event that someone deserves to go for prison for, though it is very illuminating on the sexist attitudes of powerful men (it is a true event because he admitted he apologised at the time).

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Oct 31 2017, 09:32 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I can't help feeling that Hartley-Brewer is trying to help the Tories play down the whole affair. By drawing attention to a relatively minor incident she is taking it away from potentially more serious allegations. As the other allegations remain vague (for now at least), Hartley-Brewer's story can create the impression that the other allegations are similar.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 31 2017, 12:57 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Oct 31 2017, 09:32 AM) *
I can't help feeling that Hartley-Brewer is trying to help the Tories play down the whole affair. By drawing attention to a relatively minor incident she is taking it away from potentially more serious allegations. As the other allegations remain vague (for now at least), Hartley-Brewer's story can create the impression that the other allegations are similar.

I am sure none of them would dared have called her "sugart*ts", and I'm sure most of us would have been quite appalled as the very idea that she is any way sweet-related.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Nov 1 2017, 06:38 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
And the list of Hollywood names keeps getting longer, with Rush Hour director Brett Ratner has been accused of sexual harassment by several women (which he has denied), whilst it was also alleged that Dustin Hoffman sexually harassed a 17-year-old in the 1980s. The rot is going deep.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Nov 1 2017, 07:45 PM
Post #16
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
Fallon has fallen! ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Nov 1 2017, 10:13 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
When Fallon first got onto the Tory front bench I was rather surprised. After all, he had been an MP for over 20 years by then. That is normally an indication that an MP simply isn't ministerial material. In his time on the front bench he has demonstrated that the earlier assessments of his ability were probably right.

He has said that he has resigned because his conduct was not up to the standard expected of a member of the armed forces. However, he remains an MP so he clearly thinks MPs should be judged by lower standards than a soldier

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 1 2017, 10:30 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
...and yet a man who has several pending court cases involving sexual offences and has been caught on video saying he can and has grabbed women by the pussy, that he can do anything he wants to do because he's a star, is still President Of The United States and Theresa May is happy to do business with him and hold his hand, despite knowing that.

JHB has tweeted that she doesn't think "kneegate" is the reason for Fallon resigning. Which is basically an accusation of worse. May is correct that anyone with allegations should go to the police. There's a number of staff at a loose end now that Edward Heath hasn't been found to be a devil-worshipping, ritual-child-murdering paedophile (though they don't actually claim he is innocent after all the money spent on the claims). Rushing onto Loose Women is not the way to go..

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Nov 3 2017, 07:46 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
Labour have withdrawn the whip from Kelvin Hopkins over allegations of sexual harassment.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 3 2017, 12:56 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Nov 3 2017, 07:46 AM) *
Labour have withdrawn the whip from Kelvin Hopkins over allegations of sexual harassment.

There's something about the construction of that sentence that just seems right.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:42 AM