BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Elvis Reviews
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tilly
post 30th March 2009, 10:44 PM
Post #21
Group icon
I just can't help believin'
User: 191
From Nashville To Memphis: The Essential 60's Masters

By Blogcritics/ David Bowling, Mar 29, 2009

Elvis Presley was king of the American music scene from 1956-1962. Such songs as “Hound Dog,” “Don’t Be Cruel,” “Jailhouse Rock,” and “Love Me Tender” are still instantly recognizable fifty years later. His impact upon the culture of The United States was extraordinary as he was worshiped and emulated by millions of teenagers.

Elvis’ popularity would remain until the end of his life (and ever thereafter), but his command of the record charts as well as his place as the dominant artist of the day would end when The Beatles and other British artists invaded America. Before the end of the decade, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, and The Jefferson Airplane, among many others, would take rock ‘n’ roll in directions far from the Elvis Presley sound.

During the 1960’s Elvis Presley produced a lot of good material, but some not so good as well. From Nashville To Memphis: The Essential 60’s Masters, which covers 5 CD’s and 130 tracks, gathers most of his superior material and fortunately ignores a great deal of the inferior. Mercifully, the soundtrack material to his movies is left off except for those songs issued as 45’s. On the especially negative side, all of his superior gospel material is also not included. Elvis rarely, if ever, recorded a poor sacred song and their absence here reduces the overall quality of this set.
On the positive side, though, the first two discs concentrate on his releases from 1960-1962, which is on a par with his best fifties work. Songs such as “Are You Lonesome Tonight,” “His Latest Flame,” “Stuck On You,” “Good Luck Charm,” “(You’re The) Devil In Disguise,” and “(Such An) Easy Question” remain classic and eternal performances. His best albums from the period — Pot Luck, Elvis Is Back, and Something For Everybody -- are presented in their entireties. Even better, RCA has done a good job remastering these tracks (from their original sources) as the sound is pristine.

The real heart of this massive release is Elvis’ sixties singles. While his albums became somewhat spotty as the 1960’s progressed, his single releases were consistently brilliant. From the great “U.S. Male" to “In The Ghetto” to “Kentucky Rain” to “Suspicious Minds," these particular two discs are wonderful. They are presented in chronological order so Elvis’ musical progression in this era can be followed and appreciated.

My only real complaint is the fifth disc being half taken up by a series of previously unreleased takes of familiar songs. There's just not enough difference in his performances of such songs as “Kentucky Rain,” “It’s Now Or Never,” and “Surrender” to help them rise much above the curiosity level. In addition, unreleased tracks were not issued for a reason, which is usually because they were inferior to the originals.
Design
The RCA label has done a good job with the packaging, as well. In addition, it comes with a huge booklet that covers each recording session and presents an extensive biography of Elvis complete with pictures.
Conclusion
If you do not own much of Elvis’s sixties material — or are a fan — then From Nashville To Memphis: The Essential 60’s Masters is a good buy. Most of the material presents Elvis at his best and finds him creating good music throughout the decade.
Tracklist:
• Make Me Know It
• Soldier Boy
• Stuck on You
• Fame and Fortune
• A Mess of Blues
• It Feels So Right
• Fever
• Like a Baby
• It's Now or Never
• The Girl of My Best Friend
• Dirty, Dirty Feeling
• Thrill of Your Love
• I Gotta Know
• Such a Night
• Are You Lonesome Tonight?
• Girl Next Door Went A'walking
• I Will Be Home Again
• Reconsider Baby
• Surrender
• I'm Coming Home
• Gently
• In Your Arms
• Give Me the Right
• I Feel So Bad
• It's a Sin
• I Want You with Me
• There's Always Me
• Starting Today
• Sentimental Me
• Judy
• Put the Blame on Me
• Kiss Me Quick
• That's Someone You Never Forget
• I'm Yours
• His Latest Flame
• Little Sister
• For the Millionth and the Last Time
• Good Luck Charm
• Anything that's Part of You
• I Met Her Today
• Night Rider
• Something Blue
• Gonna Get Back Home Somehow
• Easy Question
• Fountain of Love
• Just for Old Time Sake
• You'll Be Gone
• I Feel that I've Known You Forever
• Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello
• Suspicion
• She's Not You
• Echoes of Love
• Please Don't Drag that String Around
• Devil in Disguise
• Never Ending
• What Now, What Next, Where To
• Witchcraft
• Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers
• Love Me Tonight
• Long Lonely Highway
• Western Union
• Slowly but Surely
• Blue River
• Memphis Tennessee
• Ask Me
• It Hurts Me
• Down in the Alley
• Tomorrow Is a Long Time
• Love Letters
• Beyond the Reef
• Come What May (You Are Mine)
• Fools Fall in Love
• Indescribably Blue
• I'll Remember You
• If Every Day Was Like Christmas
• Suppose
• Guitar Man
• Big Boss Man
• Mine
• Just Call Me Lonesome
• Hi Heel Sneakers
• You Don't Know Me
• Singing Tree
• Too Much Monkey Business
• U.S. Male
• Long Black Limousine
• This Is the Story
• Wearin' that Loved-on Look
• You'll Think of Me
• A Little Bit of Green
• Gentle on My Mind
• I'm Movin' On
• Don't Cry Daddy
• Inherit the Wind
• Mama Liked the Roses
• My Little Friend
• In the Ghetto
• Rubberneckin'
• From a Jack to a King
• Hey Jude
• Without Love (There Is Nothing)
• I'll Hold You in My Heart (Till I Can Hold You in My Arms)
• I'll Be There
• Suspicious Minds
• True Love Travels on a Gravel Road
• Stranger in My Own Home Town
• And the Grass Won't Pay No Mind
• Power of My Love
• After Loving You
• Do You Know Who I Am
• Kentucky Rain
• Only the Strong Survive
• It Keeps Right on A-hurtin'
• Any Day Now
• If I'm a Fool (For Loving You)
• The Fair's Moving On
• Who Am I?
• This Time / I Can't Stop Loving You
• In the Ghetto (take 4)
• Suspicious Minds (take 6)
• Kentucky Rain (take 8)
• Big Boss Man (take 2)
• Down in the Alley (take 1)
• Memphis Tennessee (1963 version, take 1)
• I'm Yours (take 1)
• His Latest Flame (take 4)
• That's Someone You Never Forget (take 1)
• Surrender (take 1)
• It's Now or Never (undubbed)
• Love Me Tender (1960/03/26 with Frank Sinatra)

Love this boxset wub.gif yahoo.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 26th May 2009, 11:16 PM
Post #22
Group icon
'Flaming Star' an in-depth Spotlight:

Flaming Star was Elvis' post-army chance to prove himself in a dramatic role and as a serious actor. Elvis had complained about his previous film 'GI Blues' being so lightweight. He even went as far as telling Priscilla that he was "goddamn miserable" about it. With terrible timing 'Flaming Star' would be released just 4 weeks after the family-friendly 'GI Blues' and unfortunately it would falter at the box-office. Described by US critic Leonard Maltin as "along with Jailhouse Rock, Presley's best film", Flaming Star is too often ignored by Elvis fans. 50 years on EIN contributor Harley Payette turns a well deserved in-depth spotlight at this often over-looked film. After reading this article there is no doubt that fans will want to revisit this fine Elvis western.

Go here to this fascinating in-depth review.

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/spotlight_flamingstar.html

(Spotlight; Source;Harley Payette/EIN)

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 21st June 2009, 04:03 PM
Post #23
Group icon
Rock music critic reviews "From Elvis In Memphis":

Patrick Trevellyan, rock music critic for The Examiner offers his take on Elvis' iconic album, From Elvis In Memphis, ahead of its 40th anniversary commemmorative release:
Next year the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame will induct its 25th class of musicians. In honor of this event, Rolling Stone magazine has started a series that looks back at five pivotal albums by Hall of Fame artists, starting with Bruce Springsteen’s The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle in Issue 1080. Likewise, I have decided to take a look back at a little Hall history myself, but in a slightly different manner. Beginning with the Class of 1986, I plan to revisit one of my favorite albums by an artist or group from every class. Starting things off is Elvis Presley’s 1969 classic From Elvis in Memphis.

By 1968, Elvis had been performing for some 15 years and had released more than 30 albums; he had changed the face of music and conquered the world. However, his career was in a bit of a lull. While radio was dominated by The Beatles and so-called Hippie music like Jefferson Airplane and the Doors, Elvis spent most of his time making cheesy movies and releasing soundtracks that failed to match the success and quality of his earlier work. But on Dec. 3, 1968, NBC aired Elvis and it became clear that Elvis was back.

Among other things, the special featured stripped down live performances of the star’s early material. Fans were treated to a leather-clad Elvis singing, playing guitar and shaking his hips like he hadn’t done since the ‘50s. With his popularity and confidence restored, Elvis took the energy from the TV special into the studio: the result was From Elvis in Memphis.
Elvis, deciding to take more control of his career, chose to record at the American Sound Studios in Memphis, Tenn. This was the first time he had recorded in Memphis since he left Sun Records in 1955. Since then, the city had become a center for Soul music, and that change can be heard throughout the entire album.

Another important change, besides location, was the addition of producer Chips Moman. As a songwriter, session guitarist and founder of the American Sound Studios, Moman was well-experienced in creating the Memphis soul sound, which involved putting strong, moving vocals (something Elvis had plenty of) in the middle of meticulous arrangements, often done by seasoned session musicians. For this album, Moman had assembled a group who were not only skilled soul players, but were also, like Elvis himself, familiar with country, blues and gospel. From Elvis in Memphis is the mixture of country and R&B that Elvis had pioneered filtered through the soul-pop machine of the Memphis studio.

Many of the songs came from the country music repertoire, such as “It Keeps Right On A-Hurtin,” “Gentle on My Mind” and “I’ll Hold You in My Heart.” But Elvis’ singing makes them fit right in with contemporary soul numbers like “Only the Strong Survive,” bluesy romps like “Power of My Love” and pop songs like “Any Day Now.”
Elvis also included his most explicitly political song to date, “In the Ghetto,” which tells the tale of a young boy’s struggles in the slums of America. Elvis’ gospel-tinged singing—which is undoubtedly strengthened by his own connections to the song, having grown up just above the poverty line himself—gives the song power without turning it into a protest song. It was the first single off the album and reached No. 3 on the Pop Singles chart, his first top ten hit in four years.

The Memphis sessions produced even more hit singles with the non-album tracks such as “Don’t Cry Daddy” and “Kentucky Rain.” But the single biggest song that came out of this period was “Suspicious Minds.” On this soul classic, Elvis’ intensity as he pleads to “not let a good thing die” drives the band towards ecstasy—from the simple opening guitar lick to the full on blast of horns, strings and backing vocals that starts to fade out and then comes back for more. It deservedly gave Elvis his first No. 1 single in seven years.

From Elvis in Memphis was released to wide critical acclaim and has since gone on to be known as one of, if not the best, album of Elvis’ career. In 2003, Rolling Stone named it No. 190 on their list of the 500 Greatest Albums of Rock and Roll. And although he soon sank into the excess and schmaltz that came to define his Vegas Period, this album is a testament to why Elvis Presley was and always will be the King of Rock and Roll.

Sony USA will be releasing a 2-disc Legacy Edition of this album Jul. 28.

(Review, Source: examiner.com)

I've said it before, but I love this album wub.gif cheer.gif yahoo.gif

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 14th July 2009, 10:47 PM
Post #24
Group icon
'Blue Hawaii' FTD Soundtrack in-depth Review:

Blue Hawaii was one of Elvis' biggest-selling albums and most fans would have purchased these songs previously on the original vinyl and then again via BMG's extended 1997 release. Despite it's travelogue style 'Blue Hawaii' has always been one of the essential albums to own even for non-soundtrack fans. So can this FTD extended movie soundtrack release really be the definitive version to make it worth buying all over again. EIN's Piers Beagley puts on his Hawaiian-shirt and digs deep to discover plenty of reasons to enjoy this 2 ½ hours of fun. Can there really be that much to say over this old chestnut? - you betcha'!

Go here to the in-depth review.

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/ftd_review_blue_hawaii.html

(FTD reviews, Source; EIN)

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 17th September 2009, 04:47 PM
Post #25
Group icon
CD Review - From Elvis In Memphis (40th Anniversary Legacy Edition):

From Elvis In Memphis represents Elvis's highest point recording a studio album.

Re-issued as The Memphis Record (1987) and subsequently Suspicious Minds: The Memphis 1969 Anthology (1999), in 2009 Sony BMG's Legacy series has issued a masterful 40th anniversary 2CD edition, with stunning remastering work by the legendary Vic Anesini.

EIN presents its massive 7,000 word strong analysis of Elvis' landmark album. With many great visuals from the sessions and informative sidebars, we delve deep into the music, go behind the scenes in the recording studio and discover the many aural delights of this 2009 masterpiece!

Read EIN's review

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/cdreview_feim_2009.htm

I love this album cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 22nd September 2009, 05:12 PM
Post #26
Group icon
Elvis Presley: Gladiators -- A DVD review by Geoffrey Mc Donnell

This is the long awaited DVD officially released by Elvis Presley Enterprises. After watching this I found it 'worthwhile' and in understanding Elvis an essential purchase, especially when you understand the man studied several styles for two decades and took it VERY seriously from 1960-1974.

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/reviews/el...vd_review.shtml

Elvis Reviews, Elvis DVD Reviews, By Geoffrey Mc Donnell September 21, 2009

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 11th January 2010, 05:21 PM
Post #27
Group icon
DVD Town's managing editor, James Plath, shares his top Elvis movie picks:

I grew up in Chicago in the '50s and '60s, when movies cost 50 cents and you saw a double feature--an A movie paired with a B movie, usually. The cool thing was that the ushers didn't clear the theater after the second film ended. If you decided to watch the first movie over again, you could stay there and catch a third film for the same 50 cents.
And there were two box-office stars that every kid in the neighborhood couldn't wait to see: John Wayne and Elvis Presley, The Duke and The King. The thing about Elvis was, if you actually wanted to see him perform instead of just listening to him on your hi-fi record players, you had to go to the movies. He wasn't doing concerts at the time, so that made the films feel extra special, like a
Hollywood premiere, even in your local neighborhoods. There was all sorts of buzz in the audience.
The kid from Tupelo, Mississippi who became known as The King of Rock 'n' Roll or just "The King" would have been 75 [this week] if he hadn't died at the relatively young age of 42. I was too young to have seen his debut performance on "The Ed Sullivan Show," but old enough to remember when Elvis went into the Army and got out again.

I don't know if there's a support group for it, but I'll admit that I'm an Elvis fan--not necessarily the albums, but certainly the movies. Sure, they were formulaic and light entertainment, but they were like comfort food. Some movies looked great but turned out to be crap, but with Elvis you knew what you were going to get: some songs, a few "girls," a few fisticuffs, and a chip-on-the-shoulder swinging, singing hero that made you forget your own problems for an hour and a half.

Elvis once said that his favorite leading lady was Shelley Fabares, and I'd have to agree with that. In "Clambake" they really seem at ease with each other, even more so than in "Girl Happy." But if I'm objective, or try to be, other movies are ultimately better.

If Presley's 75th suddenly makes you want to go out and rent an Elvis movie, here's my top 10:

1) "King Creole"
(1958). Combine The King's sneer with a little film noir and New Orleans atmosphere and you get a dramatic movie that has more substance than most of the light-hearted strum-and-fun stuff. Presley plays a drop-out who gets a job as a saloon singer but gets involved with a local mob boss (Walter Matthau) and his gun moll (Carolyn Jones). Throw in Dean Jagger as his no-account father and you have a pretty good film. Elvis once said this was his favorite film; I and others agree. How wrong can you go when your director is Michael Curtiz ("Casablanca")?

2) "Jailhouse Rock" (1957). Before Cool Hand Luke there was Elvis as an ex-convict anti-hero who sings his way to the top, thanks and no-thanks to a fellow ex-con and conniving manager (Mickey Shaughnessy) and a woman from a recording label (Judy Tyler) who may want more than his tunes. An iconic film. Tyler was killed just days after filming ended, and so Presley refused to watch the film.

3) "Flaming Star" (1960). Count me among those who think Elvis turned in one of his best acting performances in this non-musical western, in which he plays a mixed blood named Pacer Burton. "I Dream of Jeannie" star Barbara Eden appears along with Dolores Del Rio in this story of a man caught between two worlds--the raiding Kiowas of his mother, and the ranchers of his father's world.

4) "Viva Las Vegas"
(1964). Elvis's biggest box-office hit starred Ann-Margret in the female lead in a story about a race-car driver who finds romance with a swimming instructor and ends up competing with a count (Cesare Danova) in a Grand Prix. Another iconic Presley vehicle, and high-energy too. It's race cars a-go-go in this classic Elvis girl-flick songfest.

5) "Blue Hawaii" (1961). The soundtrack from this movie was Elvis's most successful chart album, and Angela Lansbury stars as his "mum" in this story that has it all: the exotic location, the wholesome girl, the trampy one trying to steal him away, and (in this film) a girlfriend thrown in for good measure. Elvis plays the son of a pineapple baron who returns from a stint in the Army hoping to avoid Daddy's footsteps.

6) "Girls! Girls! Girls!" (1962). The only Elvis film to be nominated for a Golden Globe is a regular tune-fest with a few tuna thrown in, as Elvis plays a fishing boat captain trying to earn enough money to buy the sailboat his father once made. Heck, the scene in which Elvis performs "Return to Sender" in a nightclub makes it worth watching. Another sneering Elvis goes up against a boat baron (Jeremy Slate) and juggles two girls (Stella Stevens and Laura Goodwin). If I throw my objective critic's judgment out the window, this is my sentimental favorite.

7) "G.I. Blues" (1960). In a variation of "Guys and Dolls," an Elvis stationed in Germany ends up betting he can bed cabaret singer-dancer Juliet Prowse. Some good songs, too--the soundtrack spent two years on the Billboard charts!--including "Blue Suede Shoes."

8) "Clambake" (1967). This one is the Rodney Dangerfield of Elvis films, and yet the title song is one that no one can get out of their heads, and the plot--a version of The Prince and the Pauper--is entertaining enough. Elvis plays the son of an oilman who swaps places with a water skiing instructor (Will Hutchins) and ends up competing in a boat race against a millionaire (Bill Bixby) for the ultimate trophy: Shelley Fabares.

9) "Follow That Dream" (1962). Shot in Florida, this film features Elvis as a laugh-out-loud naïve young man whose father (Arthur O'Connell) defiantly homesteads on an as-yet-unopened stretch of state highway, right by a river. When Elvis rejects the advances of a social worker (Joanna Moore), their makeshift family is jeopardized.

10) "Roustabout" (1964). Elvis plays a carnie in this one, with Barbara Stanwyck and Leif Erickson in charge of the traveling circus and Sue Anne Langdon and Joan Freeman providing the female interest. Elvis sings "Little Egypt" in the film's most rousing song.

They were formulaic and a little corny when they were released, but they were still entertaining. And that's the way they play today. Happy Birthday, Elvis, wherever you are.

(News, Source: Amber Smith)

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 23rd January 2010, 07:13 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53
Great reviews. Thanks. I'm going to check out some of those album as I mainly just have hits compilations and a couple of Elvis country albums.

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 26th January 2010, 11:19 PM
Post #29
Group icon
QUOTE(Victor Meldrew @ Jan 23 2010, 07:13 PM) *
Great reviews. Thanks. I'm going to check out some of those album as I mainly just have hits compilations and a couple of Elvis country albums.

Glad you're finding them helpful biggrin.gif

Review - Good Times FTD CD

FTD's version of Good Times turns out to be a fine upgrade of the original album, truly capturing the spirit of a collectors label by bringing the original cuts together in pristine sound quality along with tons of additional takes. Ten years in, FTD seems to have hit its stride, and its Classic Album series has become essential.

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/reviews/re...es_ftd_cd.shtml

Elvis Reviews, Elvis CD Reviews, FTD, By Tygrrius January 30, 2010

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 4th February 2010, 11:46 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Elvis - My Best Man (Book Review)

George Klein became a friend of Elvis' while they both attended Humes High. EIN contributor, Susan MacDougall, recently sat down to read George's memoir. What Susan found was an entertaining memoir which has met with some criticism. Susan says:
The stated purpose of the book is to document some of the important things about Elvis that have been missed elsewhere, especially “his deep, natural intelligence and how funny he was”. There are certainly some entertaining anecdotes, such as putting a gift-wrapped box of snakes on a car seat to frighten thieves, and Elvis hiding under a train to escape a horde of sorority sisters.
Read Susan's full review

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/bookreview_klein_susan_2010.htm

(Book Review, Source: EIN)

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 18th March 2010, 06:05 PM
Post #31
Group icon
Review: A Minnesota Moment FTD CD

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/reviews/re...nt_ftd_cd.shtml

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 13th April 2010, 07:09 PM
Post #32
Group icon
'From Sunset To Las Vegas' FTD Review:

From a musically creative viewpoint 1974 was disappointing since it was the first year since Elvis came out of the army that he wouldn’t record any Studio material at all. Instead he spent nearly the whole year on Tour performing an incredible 156 concerts. In August 1974 however, possibly due to new girlfriend Sheila Ryan, Elvis decided to shake up his on-stage set-list and on 12th August Elvis arrived at RCA’s Hollywood studio to begin several days of rehearsals for his new Vegas season. The taped rehearsal features a string of exceptional songs, Promised Land, Down In The Alley, It's Midnight, Your Love's Been A Long Time Coming, Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues, etc and when released as a bootleg in 1996 it was hailed as an all-time classic discovery.
EIN's Piers Beagley has a close look at the first official FTD release of the rehearsal tape to discover if it is still so relevant.

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/ftd_review_fro..._las_vegas.html

(FTD Reviews, Source;EIN)

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 19th May 2010, 10:03 PM
Post #33
Group icon
EIN Spotlight on 'Girl Happy':

Elvis’ 17th movie Girl Happy was made solely to generate revenue. There was no artistic intent on behalf of the stars, the producers, the director, the writers and the studio. Its plot only intermittently makes contact with reality. Some sexist attitudes are expressed on the screen and its depiction of college age sexuality is dated.
Such a venture was well beneath the talents of its star, one of the most vital performers in 20th century American popular culture.
So how can anyone like or even love this ridiculous piece of cinematic fluff?

On the 45th anniversary of its release EIN contributor Harley Payette takes a fascinating look at this often unloved film.

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/spotlight_girl_happy.html

(Spotlight, Source;HarleyPayette)

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 20th July 2010, 10:27 PM
Post #34
Group icon
Review - Elvis Now FTD Special Edition 2 CD Set

Perhaps the best part of FTD's 'Elvis Now' is that every song sounds better than it ever has before. If you love Elvis in the 1969 - 1971 era represented by this album and care about audio quality, you will be thrilled with these sound upgrades - particularly on the master takes. Kudos to FTD for much improvement in this area over the years. 'Elvis Now' is a different kind of listening experience than that of From Elvis In Memphis or That's The Way It Is. While those two albums are monumental, their greatness should not take away from the understated achievement that Elvis Now represents

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/reviews/re...ow_ftd_cd.shtml

Elvis Reviews, Elvis CD Reviews, FTD, By Tygrrius July 20, 2010

+Quote this post
Brian Quinn
post 3rd September 2010, 11:59 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 11,270
The following review has just been posted on the Web:

"Elvis on Tour
Directed by Pierre Adidge & Robert Abel
By Vish Khanna (http://www.playbill.ca)

Capturing his humility and bombast, the Golden Globe-winning Elvis on Tour is a remarkably revealing and vibrant look at Elvis Presley on a 15-city U.S. tour in 1972. After busting the shackles of the movie contracts that kept him preoccupied throughout the '60s, Presley took to live performances again like a hungry, if eager to please, dog on the hunt. The success of the concert film Elvis: That's The Way It Is only bolstered he and his entourage's belief in the power he wielded as a dynamic, charismatic stage icon. But the King was a complex character, willing to embrace the caricature of his persona if it meant drawing fans and curious onlookers to his more earnest, emotional side. Over 25 performances, both on-stage, backstage and in-studio, Elvis on Tour showcases the full breadth of Elvis's vision as an entertainer, from the pageantry of his giant, kick-ass band and infamous sequined, one-piece suits (and the countless scarves handed out to hysterical fans) to his sincerity as a musician with a deep respect for soul and passion in human expression. Presley and his 15-piece band could be as devastating running through theatrical rockers like "Polk Salad Annie," "Never Been to Spain" and the live debut of "Burning Love" as they are delivering slow-burning ballads like "American Trilogy" or "Bridge Over Troubled Water," where Elvis's command as a performer is matched by his inspiring taste and appreciation for great, witty songwriters. The frantic nature of Elvis's departure from each venue (confirmed by the now famous "Elvis has left the building" tagline at the end of each of these shows) is captured in the close quarters of limousines and backstage escapes, as filmmakers Pierre Adidge and Robert Abel took full advantage of rare access to their star. Including interviews with Elvis and father Vernon, and footage spanning his entire career, the film is a rather brilliant summation of Presley's strengths as a cultural figure just prior to his decline and eventual deterioration as a mortal being. And in employing the split-screen process used by Woodstock, and having a young Martin Scorsese direct the various, contextual montage sequences, Elvis on Tour offers viewers a genuinely multi-layered perspective on the most famous and fascinating musical figure of the last century. (Warner)."

Personally speaking, despite already having a good DVD version of 'On Tour' I still think that the new version is worth purchasing. The sound, particularly the bass is improved as is the colour. For me the only two negative aspects are:

1. The missing 'Johnny B. Goode' opening sequence and

2. The lack of a bonus DVD containing the unreleased outtakes of which we know there are many.

Brian thumbup.gif

+Quote this post
Dileni
post 23rd September 2010, 10:34 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 11,092
Bought the Elvis On Tour dvd today dance.gif

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 19th November 2010, 11:12 PM
Post #37
Group icon
'King Creole - The Music' FTD Review:

The Audiovisual documentary ‘King Creole - the Music’ was released last July. With hardly any song outtakes available, FTD decided that this release could not work as a ‘Classic Soundtrack Album’ release so instead have used plenty of unreleased new Elvis photos from the King Creole sessions (ex super-collector Pal Granlund) to create this deluxe book.
The publicity notes, "Includes more than 200 classic, rare and never before published photos from the recording session and the filming of the song scenes for King Creole. The accompanying CD includes all known surviving Elvis recordings from the session".
While it is described as an "Audiovisual documentary" sadly the CD only last 36 minutes including the 8 bonus tracks. So with no new session outtakes as a temptation and with a fairly high asking price,

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/ftd_review_king%20creole.html

(FTD Reviews, Source;ElvisInfoNetwork)

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 3rd December 2010, 05:43 PM
Post #38
Group icon
'The Complete Elvis Presley Masters' in-depth Review:

"The Complete Elvis Presley Masters" 30 CD box-set collection has to be the ultimate deluxe Elvis collectors’ set, combining a massive 240-page book and every Elvis Master recording presented in one huge presentation case. The fact is that it also Sold Out before being despatched and so hardly needs a review. Plus it is damn expensive and well out of the range of most fans! Costing US$750 in the USA - plus for anyone overseas a hefty delivery charge. However it is good to hear that the popularity of the signed & numbered first run of 1000 copies has inspired SONY to produce a second edition early next year.
Such a gigantic deluxe set is difficult to comprehend until you have spent some time absorbing all its details. It is almost impossible to cover such a mammoth project properly in a small review. After all what do you get for your hard-earned money, and since we have probably bought most of these recordings umpteen times before, is this set that desirable?

Go here as EIN's Piers Beagley provides a detailed in-depth review - with plenty of fabulous images - and discovers the good, and possibly bad, of this all-mighty Elvis release.

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/cd_review_elvi...te_masters.html

(CD Reviews, Source;ElvisInfo Network)

Would so love to have this, but it’s way too expensive for me sad.gif

+Quote this post
BeautifulAngel
post 14th December 2010, 07:45 PM
Post #39
Group icon
Love me tender, love me sweet, never let me go.
User: 188
QUOTE(Tilly @ Dec 3 2010, 05:43 PM) *
'The Complete Elvis Presley Masters' in-depth Review:

"The Complete Elvis Presley Masters" 30 CD box-set collection has to be the ultimate deluxe Elvis collectors’ set, combining a massive 240-page book and every Elvis Master recording presented in one huge presentation case. The fact is that it also Sold Out before being despatched and so hardly needs a review. Plus it is damn expensive and well out of the range of most fans! Costing US$750 in the USA - plus for anyone overseas a hefty delivery charge. However it is good to hear that the popularity of the signed & numbered first run of 1000 copies has inspired SONY to produce a second edition early next year.
Such a gigantic deluxe set is difficult to comprehend until you have spent some time absorbing all its details. It is almost impossible to cover such a mammoth project properly in a small review. After all what do you get for your hard-earned money, and since we have probably bought most of these recordings umpteen times before, is this set that desirable?

Go here as EIN's Piers Beagley provides a detailed in-depth review - with plenty of fabulous images - and discovers the good, and possibly bad, of this all-mighty Elvis release.

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/cd_review_elvi...te_masters.html

(CD Reviews, Source;ElvisInfo Network)

Would so love to have this, but it’s way too expensive for me sad.gif

We have it, and it is well worth the money. Its Beautiful cheer.gif

+Quote this post
doody
post 24th March 2011, 05:55 PM
Post #40
Group icon
New Entry
User: 13,331
RAW (The Other Side Of Elvis)

Alternate, Humorous & Sometimes Risque Studio & Home Recorded Tracks.

This New 'RAW', Alternate Recording CD release is a collection of 27 studio / live / rehearsal tracks that weren't suitable for release 'because of rude language', unless it had a Parental Advisory warning on it. This CD release show's a different side of Elvis that we're not use to seeing. A very funny side. They even squeezed in a poem, 'Ode To A Robin,' which has a surprise ending.

Lots of "f**k" in all its different inflections and "motherf**ker" is Elvis' favorite choice word of poetic spice.

It starts out with a good example of Elvis' sense of humor. He says: "Did-did you hear the little poem that I wrote?" Elvis recites the words dead-serious, but the comical twist at the end breaks everybody up. It was taped by Elvis' girl friend Linda Thompson at her home.

Four songs are taken from a 1970 rehearsal: 'Heart of Rome' gets the romantic treatment with lyric changes as "I'll take a p*** in every fountain." 'Memories' is a classic. While chewing gum, Elvis pants, imitates a cow, a dog, a cat and even Burton's wah-wah guitar. Hilarious! 'Stranger In My Own Home Town' is 5½ minute's long and it's transformed into a slow blues , in the tempo of 'Reconsider Baby' or 'Merry Christmas Baby.' And the poetry is at full bloom here: "I'm gonna start drivin' that motherf**kin' truck again" - - - "all 'em c**ksuckers stopped bein' friendly..." At the end he incorporates some of the members of the Memphis Mafia in an extra, spur-of-the-moment verse. And they tell me he didn't write songs!

'Don't Cry Daddy' is a great version. Elvis giggles a lot and does a lot of lyric changes like, "every time I cry I know, I beat my little children so..." , Elvis giggles some more and sings the chorus, "don't cry fatty..." Elvis is having a ball.

'Beach Shack' was recorded in the 60's. You'll never hear Elvis laugh harder. He's got the giggles all right. It sound's like someone's been smoking a little weed if you know what I mean. It's pretty funny though.

'Next Step Is Love' Elvis cracks himself up when he sings, "and the next step is sex..."

In 'Suspicious Minds', I didn't think Elvis would ever get it right. He kept messing up in the same place. This is the first time that you could really hear the frustration in his voice. Elvis was getting really ticked off at himself.

The Memphis sessions are represented with the well-known alternate take of 'Only The Strong Survive' where Elvis is reciting' a letter: "Listen, you little c**ksucker..." From a '74 rehearsal comes yet another "motherf**ker" as 'Promised Land' gets some poetic justice: "...the motherf**ker's on the line" .

In 'Hurt,' Elvis incorporates words like "g**dammit", "sh*t", "c**ksucker" and "motherf**ker" to the lyrics during the recitation. The funny thing is that it's a complete take and not bad at all, except for the swearing, of course. Audio is terrible on this song. The reason for this is that it's a fifth generation reference copy. The original tape was allegedly destroyed by Felton Jarvis' wife, due to the vulgar (and tragic!) nature of the performance.

Excellent CD! A MUST Have!!

I found it at www.presleyproducts.com

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 12:44 PM