BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Ariana Grande: The Singles Rate Results 2020, full results on page 12!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post 12th February 2020, 08:34 PM
Post #21
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

I have a bit of a soft spot for 'Faith'! It's good fun. Glad it finished above the John Legend collab.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 12th February 2020, 08:38 PM
Post #22
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Ew. 'Beauty & The Beast' is stunning and should DEFINITELY not be below a fair amount of other songs that seem to have finished above it.

FFS at 'Heatstroke' still being in it manson.gif manson.gif Absolutely her worst song for me puke.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post 12th February 2020, 10:07 PM
Post #23
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

I was actually pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed 'Faith'. 'Beauty And The Beast' however is a zzz.

This is still cancelled as long as 'Focus' is still somehow in it x

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 12th February 2020, 10:08 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

No real losses so far.

Delighted to see Boys Like You bottom as it is by far the worst thing to which she has put her name.

+Quote this post
coi
post 12th February 2020, 10:08 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240

No real losses yet at all! All very average.

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 13th February 2020, 05:05 PM
Post #26
Group icon
Julian Nial
User: 18,454

32 5.06 My Favorite Part (Mac Miller feat. Ariana Grande)
Highest: Bré, blacksquare (8) / Lowest: Wall, Cameron, JosephStyles, LMLou (2)

I don't have a lot to say about this Mac and Ari track to be fair. It was penned by the pair back in 2016. Of course it holds significance due to it being recorded and released during their short-lived relationship. Mac delivered a seemingly lazy vocal performance, however the beat has a good vibe and Ariana's short verse is obviously the highlight of the entire thing, not to mention how GORGEOUS she is in the video.

Buzzjack gave an average score of just over 5, with the majority giving it a 6. Bré and blacksquare bumped up the average, after it suffered a whole lot of 2s, yet no 0s. It was left unmarked by quite a few of you also.

Worldwide, the track made barely any impact at all, Bubbling Under the Billboard top 100 at #2 and missed out on scoring a top 100 hit in New Zealand, landing on Heatseakers at #3.

Still, no major losses.

+Quote this post
coi
post 13th February 2020, 05:07 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

At least it had an average over 5, not an essential of course but a decent track!

+Quote this post
Jade
post 13th February 2020, 05:29 PM
Post #28
Group icon
Alone and wounded

I recently discovered this performance of 'My Favorite Part' that made me appreciate it more, really cute:

+Quote this post
Brer
post 13th February 2020, 05:41 PM
Post #29
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

'My Favorite Part' is a great song, you are all literally heathens x

(I'm surprised there are so many songs that have averages around 5 or below...)

+Quote this post
Jade
post 14th February 2020, 05:37 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Alone and wounded

31. 'Put Your Hearts Up' // 5.09
Highest: Cameron + Jordan Lee (8), Jonjo + Riser (7.5) / Lowest: dan.G (0), SevenSeize (1)

Now it's time for the first Ariana solo song to drop out! At #31 we rewind all the way back to the beginning of Ariana's career as a recording artist. She began working on music while she was still filming the TV show 'Victorious' and it was 'Put Your Hearts Up' that was chosen as her debut single back in 2011. At the time, she said she wanted 'Put Your Hearts Up' to be her first single as it "has a great message" and "screams newbie coming to town". She modestly added that it wasn't quite her 'Genie In A Bottle' moment, which I think we can all agree on! 'Put Your Hearts Up' is a sugary sweet bubblegum pop offering that even includes a sprinkling of auto-tune. The lyrics talk of wanting to change the world in a positive manner and the chorus even interpolates 'What's Up?' by 4 Non Blondes. Ariana appears in the video with red hair (much like her Victorious character Cat Valentine), a pink dress and a lot of spray tan. This debut feels so far away from what we know Ariana's music and style to be now. There's a reason for that - as Ariana has disowned 'Put Your Hearts Up' completely! She has gone as far as saying that filming the video was the worst moment of her life. She hated the spray tan, dress and bubblegum pop direction - saying that it all felt really inauthentic and geared towards a young market. In fact, she dislikes it so much that she made sure that the video was taken down from her official page. Yikes! The original direction for her debut album was soon scrapped and we wouldn't get 'Yours Truly' - an R&B project that she was MUCH more passionate about - until 2013. 'Put Your Hearts Up' failed to set the charts alight at the time but did eventually receive a gold certification in the U.S. back in 2014. The likes of Cameron and Jordan Lee are putting their hearts up for Ariana's debut, but a fair amount of low scores (including a 0 from Dan and 1 from Seven) drag its average down to 5.09.

~~~

I feel like I enjoy 'Put Your Hearts Up' more than I probably should (tacky interpolation, unnecessary autotune, lack of authenticity etc) - it's quite cute laugh.gif but yeah, glad that Ariana stayed true to the music she really wanted to make and gave us so many strong moments over the years heart.gif

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 15th February 2020, 01:24 AM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

PYHU should have dropped out earlier tbh.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 15th February 2020, 04:23 PM
Post #32
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

30 5.46 MONOPOLY (Ariana Grande & Victoria Monét)
Highest: LewisGT (10) / Lowest: Tawdry Hepburn (0)

Released last year not long after the thank u, next album, MONOPOLY had us all a little confused at the time. The album seemed to have more life in it but it appeared she was already moving on? Well, we were half right - no more thank u, next singles came, but MONOPOLY was a standalone release alongside Ariana's good friend Victoria Monét. The track became a talking point through the lyric "I like women and men," most blantantly a reference to Victoria Monét being bisexual, but Ariana sings it too. She clarified on social media that she doesn't label her sexuality - good on her for being so open! It charted at #23 in the UK and #69 - her lowest charting release since Everyday in the former and Put Your Hearts Up (!) in the latter, if we remove the soundtrack singles. MONOPOLY was included as a bonus track on the Japanese edition of the thank u, next album. It's no big loss from the countdown I must admit, Ariana's definitely capable of better and it felt a bit like an autopilot moment!

+Quote this post
Jade
post 15th February 2020, 04:33 PM
Post #33
Group icon
Alone and wounded

I remember being really disappointed by ‘MONOPOLY’ at first but it has grown on me a bit over time. Like others I would’ve preferred another ‘thank u, next’ single in its place though. Still, it gave Victoria more exposure I suppose and the video was fun.

+Quote this post
coi
post 15th February 2020, 04:42 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Still no complaints really, Monopoly was disappointing by her standards!

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 15th February 2020, 05:02 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Massive mad.gif at Monopoly finishing so low. Great tune and one of her most fun.

I was at a Mabel concert last week and they played Monopoly on the loud-speaker before it started and the whole crowd was singing along.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 15th February 2020, 05:32 PM
Post #36
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Faith and Boys Like You are both amazing.. what y'all on sad.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 15th February 2020, 07:30 PM
Post #37
Group icon

MONOPOLY should've been lower, imo. Such a non-event of a song. It was cute for 2 plays.

Put Your Hearts Up is under appreciated. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 16th February 2020, 08:47 PM
Post #38
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061

29 5.54 Baby I
Highest: ...ready for it (8) / Lowest: coi, danG (2)

Get ready to smash that potato off the bin *BA BA BA BA DO DO DO DO*. Coming in at number 29 is Ariana's 2nd single from her debut album 'Yours Truly'. 'Baby I' has received mixed reactions and is absolutely loathed by Ariana herself to the point where she refuses to acknowledge its existence. I mean, we know Ariana does not always have the best diction but the opening line is 100% "baby I got love for d so deep inside of me" which is very... Interesting! laugh.gif I think the general vibe of the song was very Mariah Carey 2006 with the vocal runs and the general 'summery' vibe of the music video. Ad-libs are on point and Ariana looks very cute in the video but I can see why it is forgotten about.

Spoiler, I don't hate it unlike a good few here. But, up against here bangers I gave it 4 laugh.gif.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 16th February 2020, 08:58 PM
Post #39
Group icon
Alone and wounded

Oh wow I didn't realise that Ariana disliked 'Baby I', that must have passed me by ohmy.gif I'm a fan, it deserves better!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 16th February 2020, 09:00 PM
Post #40
Group icon

'Baby I' is such a cute introductory into the 'Yours Truly' era. I know 'The Way' kicked everything off, but I feel BI is more representative of that whole throwback, 90's R&B vibe.

+Quote this post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 12:24 AM