BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Racism in Sport
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Mack.
post Oct 15 2019, 03:02 PM
Post #1
It's the return of the Mack.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Following last night's shameful events what happened in Sofia. What do you believe needs to be done to stop racism in sport?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Oct 15 2019, 06:45 PM
Post #2
Mansonette
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

The teams need to be kicked out of the contest they're in. People have to see a tangible negative result after their actions.

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Oct 15 2019, 06:57 PM
Post #3
   No Gallery Pics

I agree teams being kicked out of the competition, or a ban from the next tournament.

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Oct 19 2019, 04:29 PM
Post #4
   No Gallery Pics

+Quote Post
Severin
post Oct 19 2019, 05:15 PM
Post #5
Mansonette
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,872
   No Gallery Pics

The problem with kicking teams out of a competition is that it is open to organised subterfuge. For example, I have a friend whose son was born, raised and lives in England but because his mother is German he supports Germany. He could in theory go to an England game and make a number of racist gestures or chants and easily pass for an England fan, even with a solid investigation carried out, and therefore get the team sanctioned or expelled. Rival supporters would potentially look to exploit this punishment and have sides instantly banned.

I know he is an extreme example and would be a minority case but arguably so are the racists, even if it is more widespread in other countries. We know these kind of individuals are capable of organised action and so a more measured approach is required.
It would also be harsh to have a team expelled for a handful of idiot scumbags who do not represent their national or club side.

Personally I feel it should be more complex. Teams that have a racism issue but take no action or insufficient steps to resolve the problem should initially be fined and given penalty points similar to a driving licence. Repeat infractions incur a points deduction and fines and ultimately expulsion. This gives them fair warning and time to take action on the root causes much like British football did beginning in the 80s. Out leagues are by no means perfect but they are vastly superior to most others.

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Oct 20 2019, 12:55 PM
Post #6
   No Gallery Pics

Bristol City are investigating reports of racist language being used by their fans during Saturday's Championship game at Luton.

A Robins statement, following Luton's 3-0 win, said they "naturally condemn any form of abuse or racist language".

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Oct 20 2019, 08:12 PM
Post #7
Queen of Soon
Member No.: 3,474

I largely agree with Severin. I’m not sure kicking them out is the answer as it doesn’t really solve the problem it just puts it in a different corner. There are some aspects of society that think this behaviour is acceptable, by sheer coincidence they unfortunately happen to be quite fond of football. Taking them out of football doesn’t stop them being racist. It doesn’t stop them racially abusing players from behind anonymous twitter accounts. It’s not the answer because it doesn’t solve the issue at hand in my opinion.

I’d really like to hear from Sterling, Rashford and any of the other hundreds upon hundreds of footballers of colour who are racially abused as to what they would like to see done and how they would like to see things tackled. They’re on the receiving end of it, any solution will only work if it shuts off all avenues of this vile abuse they have to handle daily and any solution needs to tackle the things that we don’t see as the majority group but are blindly obvious to the minority groups

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Oct 20 2019, 09:53 PM
Post #8
   No Gallery Pics

Personally I feel it should be more complex. Teams that have a racism issue but take no action or insufficient steps to resolve the problem should initially be fined and given penalty points similar to a driving licence. Repeat infractions incur a points deduction and fines and ultimately expulsion. This gives them fair warning and time to take action on the root causes much like British football did beginning in the 80s. Out leagues are by no means perfect but they are vastly superior to most others
I’d really like to hear from Sterling, Rashford and any of the other hundreds upon hundreds of footballers of colour who are racially abused as to what they would like to see done and how they would like to see things tackled. They’re on the receiving end of it, any solution will only work if it shuts off all avenues of this vile abuse they have to handle daily and any solution needs to tackle the things that we don’t see as the majority group but are blindly obvious to the minority groups

Definitely agree with you there, Severin and Silas with those solutions.

+Quote Post
DJHazey
post Oct 21 2019, 03:38 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Regular
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,783
   No Gallery Pics

They already take care of it just fine. The team who's fan were at fault have to play future home games in a closed stadium.

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Oct 22 2019, 07:47 PM
Post #10
   No Gallery Pics

Manchester United have issued an indefinite ban to a fan who allegedly racially abused Liverpool's Trent Alexander-Arnold on Sunday.

United launched an investigation after the fan was ejected during the first half of the 1-1 draw at Old Trafford.

A club statement read: "Racism and all forms of discrimination are completely unacceptable and do not reflect the values of our club.

"This individual isn't welcome at Old Trafford."

United said the ban is subject to appeal.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2019 - 07:04 PM