BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> ThePensmith's Top 20 Singles Chart, Week ending 8th March 2019
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post Mar 8 2019, 03:33 PM
Post #1
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208
Hello everyone, happy Friday. Personal top 20 time from yours truly once again. P!nk notched up her third number one hit on my personal chart last week, but is she still there today, or have Now United, Ellie Goulding and a returning Emma Bunton proved too much of a challenge? Here's where we find out...

THEPENSMITH'S TOP 20 SINGLES CHART
Week ending 8th March 2019
© AM LIMITED 2019

1. (1) P!NK - Walk Me Home
2. (HNE) NOW UNITED FEAT. BADSHAH - How We Do It
3. (NE) EMMA BUNTON - Baby Please Don't Stop
4. (2) RAK-SU - Into It
5. (3) JULIA MICHAELS FEAT. NIALL HORAN - What A Time
6. (4) BUSTED - Radio
7. (10) MABEL - Don't Call Me Up
8. (NE) ELLIE GOULDING - Flux
9. (5) LSD - Mountains
10. (7) MARINA & THE DIAMONDS - Handmade Heaven

11. (8) TAKE THAT - Everlasting
12. (9) FOUR OF DIAMONDS - Blind
13. (6) JACK & JACK - Daydreaming
14. (11) WESTLIFE - Hello My Love
15. (12) JAMIE LAWSON - The Answer
16. (15) UNPERFECT - Gots To Give The Girl
17. (16) HANNE LELAND - Ego Talking
18. (13) DIDO - Give You Up
19. (RE) OLLY MURS - Excuses
20. (14) NOW UNITED - All Day

Compiled from my own personal listening in the last seven days across streaming, digital and physical formats.

KEY

(1) - last week's position
(HNE) - highest new entry
(NE) - new entry
(RE) - re-entry

CHART COMMENTARY

In terms of surprises, this week has been full and plenty of them. All three of this week's new entries enter my top 10 - in turn giving my chart a much needed shot in the arm after a quite sluggish couple of weeks. And yet in the face of all this, P!nk resolutely hangs on at number one for a second week with 'Walk Me Home', making her the third such act in a row to achieve the feat this year. That she has done so is quite remarkable really given what her competition this week was. I also need to correct myself from last week at this point, as 'Walk Me Home' is in fact her third and not second number one on my chart as stated. Her first wasn't 'Stupid Girls' but was in actual fact 'Get The Party Started' back in January 2002.

Now United gave her as good as they got, and with their former chart topper 'All Day' itself still inside my top 20 on its fourteenth week (down six to this week's #20) they have another hit to join it, claiming the week's highest new entry with 'How We Do It' smashing in at #2. Their fourth single in under a year is the much delayed and talked about title theme from the new Pepsi advert campaign they're starring in, and features a guest appearance from Indian rap superstar Badshah, who thus makes his chart debut. That it has for now failed to give them two number ones in a row isn't a bad thing, mind. After all, it took six weeks for their first chart topper to achieve the feat, so patience is definitely a virtue for them here.

From one (or should that be fourteen?) current charges of Simon Fuller to another - and dare I say one of his most famous. Just over 12 years ago was when we last saw Baby Spice herself, Emma Bunton on my personal chart. She appeared with her fellow Spice Girls on a comeback single and reunion tour in 2007, and she even appeared on her good Sporty mate Melanie C's musical theatre covers album in 2012, true, but to find the last charting single credited to her alone, it was the #6 she notched up with 'All I Need To Know' back in February 2007.

Today, that all changes, as last week Emma announced her fourth solo album 'My Happy Place' - due out in April, ahead of the next Spice Girls tour in the summer - and premiered its first single 'Baby Please Don't Stop'. It gives her a tenth top 10 hit as a solo artist, entering at #3. It means she not only has the best performing single for a Spice Girl since 2007, but she is also the only Spice Girl aside from her former Posh colleague Victoria Beckham to have placed all her solo singles inside the top 10 of my personal chart - including her April 2001 chart topper 'What Took You So Long?'. Baby's really got her groove back.

Ellie Goulding's fourth studio album is 'almost finished' and 'all written by me' according to a recent interview she did this week. 'Flux' becomes its second top 10 smash, following the #7 debut and peak of 'Close To Me' back in December, debuting at this week's #8. Mabel's 'Don't Call Me Up' continues its upward movement too, moving three places to #7 to attain its highest position to date.

'Excuses', the fifth #2 hit back in January on my personal chart for Olly Murs looked to be on its way out last week, dipping seven to #32. Last weekend, however, he performed the song again on telly, this time on the semi-final of ITV celebrity skating show Dancing On Ice, meaning the track now leaps back up thirteen places to occupy the #19 slot it was at last two weeks ago.

FLASHBACK TOP 10
Your chance to see how my personal top 10 was looking on this week in the last 20 years. This week in 2001: Shaggy thunders in at the top with infidelity denial anthem 'It Wasn't Me', plus classic hits from Atomic Kitten, Outkast and Nelly Furtado

1. (HNE) SHAGGY FEAT. RICARDO 'RIKROK' DUCENT - It Wasn't Me

2. (1) ATOMIC KITTEN - Whole Again
3. (2) OUTKAST - Ms. Jackson
4. (NE) NELLY FURTADO - I'm Like A Bird
5. (4) WHEATUS - Teenage Dirtbag
6. (3) SAMANTHA MUMBA - Always Come Back To Your Love
7. (NE) MANIC STREET PREACHERS - So Why So Sad
8. (6) DIDO - Here With Me
9. (5) MELANIE B - Feels So Good
10. (NE) MANIC STREET PREACHERS - Found That Soul

This post has been edited by ThePensmith: Mar 8 2019, 03:34 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:52 PM