BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bananarama - In Stereo, 11th Album | 19th April
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post Jan 18 2019, 02:29 PM
Post #1
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Group: Members
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

First new studio album in ten years from Sara and Keren, and their first since they did their 'Original Line Up Tour' with Siobhan in 2017. Title track 'Love In Stereo' is a cover of the unreleased song from Mutya Keisha Siobhan, produced by Richard X.

The first single was released today and is called 'Dance Music'. Tracklisting below, pre-order is at their official store.

1. Love In Stereo
2. Dance Music
3. I'm On Fire
4. Intoxicated
5. Tonight
6. Looking For Someone
7. Stuff Like That
8. It's Gonna Be Alright
9. Got To Get Away
10. On Your Own
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pippa
post Jan 18 2019, 04:52 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

Wonderful to see them still releasing.
It would be welcoming if the album could achieve a chart placing for them.

+Quote Post
tommie
post Jan 18 2019, 10:06 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Banned
Member No.: 8,073

Random that they got Love In Stereo on there. It's a great track though and if MKS aren't going to use it...

+Quote Post
Silas
post Jan 19 2019, 12:32 AM
Post #4
Queen of Soon
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 3,474

I’ve heard a clip of their attempt at Love In Stereo and I’m not sure how it compares to their usual standards as ‘Rama but it’s pretty dire in comparison to the original. The production is completely identical, as is the melody and the ad libs and everything (real original thought gone into this) and it’s noticeable how lacking the vocals are. It really misses the three part harmony.

It’s good that it’s out there and I hope that it does well. I don’t like the vocals on it but I’d far rather it went to another legendary girl band than died in a vault or went to some no mark X factor reject.

+Quote Post
tommie
post Jan 19 2019, 02:05 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ Jan 19 2019, 01:32 AM) *
I’ve heard a clip of their attempt at Love In Stereo and I’m not sure how it compares to their usual standards as ‘Rama but it’s pretty dire in comparison to the original. The production is completely identical, as is the melody and the ad libs and everything (real original thought gone into this) and it’s noticeable how lacking the vocals are. It really misses the three part harmony.

It’s good that it’s out there and I hope that it does well. I don’t like the vocals on it but I’d far rather it went to another legendary girl band than died in a vault or went to some no mark X factor reject.

As much as I love Bananarama, the production values of their output once they became a duo have been patchy at best. I mean, at least it's not the bottom of the barrel like Exotica, but on the other hand it's obvious that it's not up there with Drama among their well-produced duo albums. I'd say it might be on par with Viva.

It's funny though - you can clearly hear MKS on the track.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Jan 19 2019, 11:04 AM
Post #6
Break the tension
Member No.: 51

I'm interested. I quite loved their 2000's albums.

I was kind of hoping to see an album with Siobhan though. sad.gif

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post Jan 19 2019, 12:24 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

Great title for an album. Surprised no-one's used it before.

+Quote Post
tommie
post Jan 19 2019, 01:14 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Jan 19 2019, 12:04 PM) *
I was kind of hoping to see an album with Siobhan though. sad.gif

#metoo

It was the only way to get some decent funding for this... such as deleting Mutya Keisha Siobhan's vocals from Love In Stereo, but then again, would I want to hear Keren and Sarah's vocals unfiltered?

+Quote Post
tommie
post Jan 19 2019, 01:34 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I also think people need to remember that "non-arsed" is Bananarama's trademark style - both when it comes to choreography and vocals.

I mean this is as hard as they'll try:

+Quote Post
Monzo
post Jan 23 2019, 09:06 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 349
   No Gallery Pics

I like their new song "Dance Music", but they had better lead singles in the past.

Looking back, are Bananarama a Stock Aitken Waterman act for you or would you consider them an artist like Donna Summer or Cliff Richard, who had a career before and just spent some time with SAW?

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Jan 23 2019, 08:34 PM
Post #11
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Monzo @ Jan 23 2019, 09:06 AM) *
I like their new song "Dance Music", but they had better lead singles in the past.

Looking back, are Bananarama a Stock Aitken Waterman act for you or would you consider them an artist like Donna Summer or Cliff Richard, who had a career before and just spent some time with SAW?

Totally the latter. They had a really quite alternative beginning when you look into their back story - they were living in a squat above Malcolm McLaren's shop, their first couple of songs were the complete opposite to what you'd expect when you say 'girl group' these days!

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Jan 24 2019, 10:06 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

They didn't get with Stock Aiken Waterman until album 4 did they? They had big success with songs like Robert De'Niro's waiting, Cruel Summer, It aint what you do, Na na hey hey kiss him goodbye, Shy boy, Really saying something before SAW came along.

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Jan 24 2019, 10:07 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

Ps was hoping for a 3 piece Bananarama album after the success of the tour, I went to see them and they were fab wub.gif

+Quote Post
tommie
post Jan 24 2019, 10:21 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Jan 24 2019, 11:06 PM) *
They didn't get with Stock Aiken Waterman until album 4 did they? They had big success with songs like Robert De'Niro's waiting, Cruel Summer, It aint what you do, Na na hey hey kiss him goodbye, Shy boy, Really saying something before SAW came along.

Only Wow! (plus the new tracks on the Greatest Hits) were full S/A/W productions, plus two tracks on Pop Life. Of course they did Please Yourself with Stock & Waterman. I'd say they aren't a S/A/W act by any account, even if they certainly had prominent hits with them.

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Mar 1 2019, 11:17 PM
Post #15
   No Gallery Pics

The expanded versions of 'Viva' and 'Drama' that were released in January are being issued on coloured vinyl for Record Store Day next month on 13th April.

I finally got round to watching the DVD of their Original Line Up Tour at Hammersmith in 2017 with Siobhan tonight. What an absolute delight and potent reminder of just how many great songs they have in their canon.

I have the Very Best Of CD/DVD package they bought out on Rhino in 2012 for their 30th anniversary, and I'm now inclined to start investigating the rest of their back catalogue before this new album comes out.

+Quote Post
bluesunstorm
post Mar 2 2019, 02:14 AM
Post #16
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 22,132
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(ThePensmith @ Mar 1 2019, 04:17 PM) *
The expanded versions of 'Viva' and 'Drama' that were released in January are being issued on coloured vinyl for Record Store Day next month on 13th April.

I finally got round to watching the DVD of their Original Line Up Tour at Hammersmith in 2017 with Siobhan tonight. What an absolute delight and potent reminder of just how many great songs they have in their canon.

I have the Very Best Of CD/DVD package they bought out on Rhino in 2012 for their 30th anniversary, and I'm now inclined to start investigating the rest of their back catalogue before this new album comes out.

Ugh, how did I miss this?! I've always loved and wanted "Here Comes the Rain". I'll have to buy a re-issue of Viva. The Drama issue looks just like a bunch of random remixes, and I already have "Live In the Sun" on the LOTF single.

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Mar 7 2019, 09:44 AM
Post #17
   No Gallery Pics

'Stuff Like That' had its first play from Zoe Ball on Radio 2 this morning. All hypnotic electro dance stylings. It's quite the fab, yes.

+Quote Post
tommie
post Mar 7 2019, 09:47 AM
Post #18
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I wonder if it's the lead single? It feels like Dance Music really didn't end up being more than an early "taster" and it's still over a month until the album so releasing a proper single now would make sense.

+Quote Post
Monzo
post Mar 18 2019, 05:40 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 349
   No Gallery Pics

Stuff Like That is much better than Dance Music and it's great they filmed an official video. They still look fine. biggrin.gif

In Stereo should enter top 40, maybe higher. That vinyl release should help a lot.

+Quote Post
tommie
post Mar 18 2019, 07:45 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Yup, looks like Stuff Like That is the official first single:

I guess Dance Music is being written off as a teaser...

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:59 PM