BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> ThePensmith's Top 20 Singles Chart, Week ending 5th July 2019
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post Jul 5 2019, 12:05 PM
Post #1
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208
Good afternoon people on this sunny Friday, time as always to bring you my top 20 singles for this week. Mabel scored her first ever number one single on my chart last week, but can she hang on at the top today? Maybe JP Cooper will give her a challenge with his new single or an existing big hit? Here's where we find out first...

THEPENSMITH'S TOP 20 SINGLES CHART
Week ending 5th July 2019
© AM LIMITED 2019

1. (1) MABEL - Mad Love
2. (HNE) JP COOPER FEAT. ASTRID S - Sing It With Me
3. (2) JONAS BROTHERS - Cool
4. (3) LITTLE MIX - Bounce Back
5. (5) NOW UNITED - Paraná / Beautiful Life
6. (NE) JULIA MICHAELS - Hurt Again
7. (6) MARK RONSON FEAT. LYKKE LI - Late Night Feelings
8. (7) KATY PERRY - Never Really Over
9. (4) DANNY JONES - Muddy Water
10. (8) JESS GLYNNE FEAT. JAX JONES - One Touch

11. (10) CRAIG DAVID - When You Know What Love Is
12. (RE) KYLIE MINOGUE - New York City
13. (11) KYGO FEAT. RITA ORA - Carry On
14. (12) AVICII FEAT. ALOE BLACC - SOS
15. (13) NOEL GALLAGHER'S HIGH FLYING BIRDS - Black Star Dancing
16. (14) FOUR OF DIAMONDS - Walk Away
17. (17) THE VERONICAS - Think Of Me
18. (18) SHAWN MENDES - If I Can't Have You
19. (16) CHERYL - Let You
20. (NE) ROBYN - Ever Again

Compiled from my own personal listening in the last seven days across streaming, digital and physical formats.

KEY

(1) - last week's position
(HNE) - highest new entry
(NE) - new entry
(RE) - re-entry

CHART COMMENTARY

An early summertime slump seems to have descended to ensure we start July with a very quiet week indeed, with only three new arrivals, only one of whom stood any chance of contending for the top spot. That they haven't means Mabel sails effortlessly to a second week at the top with 'Mad Love'.

We neglected to mention last week that even with two records that have spent at least four weeks at the top, 'Mad Love' is now the fifteenth new number one single on my chart in 2019, matching last year's total (we'd only seen eight of them by this point twelve months ago for comparison).

It does of course mean that whichever record tops my chart next (and I've a sneaking suspicion that will be seven days hence looking ahead to the schedules, which are packed with some major new releases) will be the sixteenth and thus by default smash last year's total. Turnover at the top is on the up again, make no mistake.

So what of the week's biggest new hit, then? Your sympathies to none other than JP Cooper, who narrowly fails by a whisker to claim a chart topper with his first new material for more than a year. His big breakthrough came almost three years ago with his guest feature on Jonas Blue's 'Perfect Strangers' which got to #2, and he then followed this up with top 10 hits for 'September Song' and 'She's On My Mind'. 'Sing It With Me', a duet with Astrid S, does at least enough to match the peak of his biggest hit, even if it was never in contention to top the chart.

Julia Michaels' last single 'What A Time' with Niall Horan topped our chart for two weeks back in February as the lead track from the first part of her 'Inner Monologue' series of EPs. 'Hurt Again' performs a similar function for the second part of the EPs released this week, and debuts at #6. It's still a top 10 hit, true, but don't count on this one being as big as 'What A Time' was.

It's nearly a week ago that, 14 years after having to pull out of headlining the Pyramid stage owing to her then diagnosis for breast cancer, Kylie Minogue finally took to Glastonbury for a spectacular show stealing set on the final day of this year's festival last Sunday. And so with her new retrospective compilation 'Step Back In Time: The Definitive Collection' making a commanding debut at the top of the UK album chart this week, current single 'New York City' is gas lit in a major way and goes up sixteen places to return to my top 20 at #12 - its highest position for three weeks.

Finally this week, Robyn creeps almost unnoticed into the top 20, with 'Ever Again' entering at #20. This single is the somewhat belated follow-up to her last hit 'Honey', which made #9 last October. Put it down to a lack of momentum and excitement for a delayed second single off an album that's now almost a year on from first release, but this is a dud compared to the Swedish songstress' chart performances of old.

FLASHBACK TOP 10

Your chance to see how my personal top 10 was looking on this week in the last 20 years. This week in 2006: Shakira's all conquering 'Hips Don't Lie' spends a second week at the top, plus classic hits from Lily Allen, Razorlight and Pussycat Dolls

1. (1) SHAKIRA FEAT. WYCLEF JEAN - Hips Don't Lie

2. (HNE) LILY ALLEN - Smile
3. (NE) RAZORLIGHT - In The Morning
4. (2) PUSSYCAT DOLLS FEAT. SNOOP DOGG - Buttons
5. (NE) PAOLO NUTINI - Last Request
6. (NE) BOB SINCLAR - World, Hold On (Children of the Sky)
7. (NE) JUSTICE VS. SIMIAN - We Are Your Friends
8. (3) NELLY FURTADO - Maneater
9. (4) THE ZUTONS - Valerie
10. (5) SERGIO MENDES FEAT. BLACK EYED PEAS - Mas Que Nada

This post has been edited by ThePensmith: Jul 7 2019, 06:59 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:14 PM