BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Eurovision Song Contest 2019 · Post Mortem
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
LexC
post May 19 2019, 12:18 AM
Post #1
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

That was the Eurovision that was!

This thread can serve as a springboard for all of the statistical analysis and tidbits that will emerge over the next day or two as well as speculation for what Amsterdam 2020 will bring, who ultimately made the wrong/right choices and what various countries need to do to have a complete rethink of their plan for next year *cough*UnitedKingdom*cough*
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AdamAloud
post May 19 2019, 12:21 AM
Post #2
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
Member No.: 11,955

North Macedonia coming to be the powerhouse of the 2020s *.*

+Quote Post
Brightest Blue
post May 19 2019, 12:22 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Banned
Member No.: 23,155

I have a feeling that 2020 will be full of female bops *.*

+Quote Post
LexC
post May 19 2019, 12:28 AM
Post #4
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

With Mahmood so close to the top, I'm sure an Italian win is only a few years away at this point!

+Quote Post
eurovision4ever
post May 19 2019, 12:30 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Regular
Group: Members
Member No.: 19,535
   No Gallery Pics

So it looks like we came last in the televote of 12 countries and second last in another 10. Awful

We were only not in the 20 somethings from a couple of countries

+Quote Post
LexC
post May 19 2019, 12:36 AM
Post #6
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

Turns out it wasn't so much the coming before Iceland as coming after Norway that killed off what little chance we had of a decent televote!

+Quote Post
Brightest Blue
post May 19 2019, 12:46 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Banned
Member No.: 23,155

I’m sad

+Quote Post
Cody Scobell
post May 19 2019, 12:58 AM
Post #8
Cause if looks could kill, we wouldn’t want to be Dan Humphrey
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

I’m surprised we’re not playing the “who will drop out next year after they dnq’d this year” game like we did last year

+Quote Post
Umi
post May 19 2019, 01:07 AM
Post #9
All I See br29
Member No.: 14,659
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Golden Maknae @ May 19 2019, 01:58 AM) *
I’m surprised we’re not playing the “who will drop out next year after they dnq’d this year” game like we did last year

I think North Macedonia and San Marino qualifying has done a lot to alleviate that. Last year I think we spoke about both of those, plus there was a bit of speculation about Azerbaijan (which thankfully ended up being silly). I guess we could ask questions about Montenegro this year, but I think we've landed in a good spot where most countries have a qualification in recent memory at this point, thankfully!

+Quote Post
Houdini
post May 19 2019, 01:25 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,725
   No Gallery Pics

The gap between UK in last place and Belarus in 2nd to last was quite big. I wonder if there has been a bigger gap than 15 points between the last two positions?

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post May 19 2019, 01:36 AM
Post #11
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

I think the organisers have to find a way to shorten the show. The interval time this year was far far too long, i just think for any kids who like to watch the show it ends far too late. The time between the last song and the vote could easily be shortened by 10 minutes. The juries should also be warned to just announce the 12 points quickly, e.g that guy on the Polish jury went on too long. I think even if they could shorten the show by 30 minutes it would benefit it overall. I know its only a small thing as Israel they did a great job.

+Quote Post
Tangela
post May 19 2019, 02:50 AM
Post #12
Tangelic
Member No.: 23,643
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Feel_The_Fever @ May 19 2019, 02:36 AM) *
I think the organisers have to find a way to shorten the show. The interval time this year was far far too long, i just think for any kids who like to watch the show it ends far too late. The time between the last song and the vote could easily be shortened by 10 minutes. The juries should also be warned to just announce the 12 points quickly, e.g that guy on the Polish jury went on too long. I think even if they could shorten the show by 30 minutes it would benefit it overall. I know its only a small thing as Israel they did a great job.

10 WHOLE MINUTES! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post May 19 2019, 03:52 AM
Post #13
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(LexC @ May 19 2019, 12:28 AM) *
With Mahmood so close to the top, I'm sure an Italian win is only a few years away at this point!

I feel like we say this every year. It will happen but it could be one or ten years from now.

Can’t see anyone dropping out for results related reasons, none of the likely suspects are holding a bad record. It’ll be financials if anything (or possibly Icelandic sanctions, there were some rumours about that after Hatari’s stunt earlier)

British televote was shite because we offered nothing new in between two songs that did. The song has to make people across a whole continent feel something and that did not do it. Our gap up to Belarus was large because this voting system is relatively new, don’t read anything into that. Incidentally I’ve just realised this means the bottom two at the start of the decade is the same two countries as at the end of the decade biggrin.gif

And then finally, yes, show has gotten far too long. That wouldn’t have finished until 2am In Israel. Maybe the Dutch will give us a shorter show, I can’t see how they’d make it longer, plus Israel went all out with guests being invited.

+Quote Post
Sinner
post May 19 2019, 06:49 AM
Post #14
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 11,640
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Iz~ @ May 19 2019, 04:52 AM) *
Our gap up to Belarus was large because this voting system is relatively new

I don't follow the logic here. How do you mean?

+Quote Post
Sour Candy
post May 19 2019, 06:51 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 10,275
   No Gallery Pics

It's frustrating how well Italy has done without winning... Hope they'll keep trying, the #1 ESC country by far of the 2010s and Soldi is their best attempt to date. Totally gorgeous.

Finland (my country) coming dead last in the first semi was hilarious. It was super awful performance so can't really complain.

The show was too long, yes, but not because of the voting. It was that long because THREE interval numbers (or four if you count the Gal Gadot insert). I believe the Madonna one was something that they hadn't originally thought that could happen (as the contract was signed in last minute, on Monday I believe?) and had the other two to begin with. But of course they didn't turn Madonna down. In the Netherlands we will not have such a problem.

This post has been edited by SKOB: May 19 2019, 07:02 AM

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 19 2019, 09:37 AM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

Turning Madonna down would have been a relief for all concerned laugh.gif

They need to look at when people voted. If the number of votes being cast tailed off in the last fifteen minutes, reduce the voting time by fifteen minutes next year.

While some of the people announcing the jury votes took too long, that pales into insignificance behind the time taken to announce the last two scored from the phone vote. Rather than telling us umpteen times how many votes Sweden needed, just get on and give the figure. Next year, I would be very tempted to keep a tally of the phone vote scores in a spreadsheet so that I know how many points are left to be allocated. If I'd done that, I would have known the Netherlands had won from the moment the "two hundred" part of their score was announced. I could have been in bed and asleep by the time they gave Sweden's score.

+Quote Post
PaulM1983
post May 19 2019, 09:59 AM
Post #17
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 6,471
   No Gallery Pics

They can definitely shave some time from the presenters. Actually having the information they need, when they need it will help. There's an awful lot of improv and filling going on at crucial moments (it doesn't help when some presenters just don't have the skills to pull this off).

I'd prefer the representatives to have a set time limit - enough to have a quick bit of banter or a joke and then give the points and be gone. Some of them take way too long.

The interval is also ridiculously long. The suggestion above about looking at when the votes tail off is a good one. They could definitely cut some time there, and have just one main interval act and not a whole variety show going on. It should be so easy to cut 30 minutes from the show as a minimum.

+Quote Post
coi
post May 19 2019, 10:11 AM
Post #18
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 73,240
   No Gallery Pics

The UK's only three points from the televote were from Ireland. Yep, we failed.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post May 19 2019, 10:14 AM
Post #19
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

They absolutely shouldn't have told us what figure Sweden needed to overtake indeed. I was annoyed at that but for a different reason: If in the event they HAD been able to overtake, or hadn't but came pretty close, the extra few seconds of tension while everyone does quick maths in their head is far preferable at times like these.

QUOTE(Sinner @ May 19 2019, 06:49 AM) *
I don't follow the logic here. How do you mean?

A conflation of statements that in putting that all up in mobile I moved a few steps too fast. The voting system is new, meaning records of along the lines of 'most gross points' are common because the voting system involves larger point numbers, twice the point numbers as previously. Therefore to talk about gaps and smashing records based on the actual number of points is a bit misleading and I don't like to do any that include contests with other voting systems as it isn't comparable. However it IS the largest gap between second-last and last, but that's because the previous two attempts were 1 points and 6 points respectively. Bigger Than Us is also only the third-least scored finalist on this system. Because literally only three contests have been done under it.

+Quote Post
Klaus
post May 19 2019, 10:22 AM
Post #20
❤️❤️➕🟦
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

The voting reveal needs to be sorted out. I know you can’t lose the whole ‘London calling’ but it places to much emphasis on the jury votes so everyone comes away thinking Sweden did better than they did and Norway did a lot worse than they did. When they revealed Norway’s points from televoting, I was like wow that’s a lot but you weren’t aware it was ultimately the highest overall.

tbh I think the value of the juries needs to be looked into? Without looking at a complete breakdown of the scores, there’s still the political element in the jury votes with Greece & Cyprus still swapping 12s and Montenegro giving Serbia a 12. Ultimately the jury is 5 random people’s opinions, how much are they benefiting the results?

and im not just saying this because the juries did Norway dirty

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:45 PM