BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> Spice Girls vs. other UK girl groups, How do they compare?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Spice Girls Net
post Jul 24 2021, 10:53 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 64,815
Aside from LM the Spice Girls are the most streamed British girl group of the 90s and 00s in terms of total stream counts

I put this list together of the Top 10 (I'm sure I've not missed anyone out)

Top 10 most streamed British girl group songs of the 90s and 00s

1. Spice Girls - Wannabe - 609.5m
2. Atomic Kitten - The Tide is High - 117m
3. Spice Girls - Stop - 101.5m
4. All Saints - Pure Shores - 97.3m
5. Atomic Kitten - Whole Again - 89.6m
6. Spice Girls - 2 Become 1 - 86.6m
7. Sugababes - About You Know - 86.5m
8. Sugababes - Push The Button - 85.2m
9. Spice Girls - Say You'll Be There - 78.2m
10. Spice Girls - Spice Up Your Life - 72m

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Jul 24 2021, 11:07 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
Shitty Mix's fifth member is Simon Cowell. They are therefore to be compared to Steps or S Club 7. Theirs is cheesy 5 member pop, not REAL pop like Spices or All Saints or Sugababes etc.

Why is Tide (Is High) so high?!

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Jul 24 2021, 11:19 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587
Little Mix are amazing and deserve the world and all the success they have been having! Iconic girlband.

Atomic Kitten can choke. Worst girlband ever, proper straight-man awfulness urgh

+Quote this post
Spice Girls Net
post Jul 24 2021, 11:23 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 64,815
QUOTE(Dill Doe @ Jul 24 2021, 12:07 PM) *
Shitty Mix's fifth member is Simon Cowell. They are therefore to be compared to Steps or S Club 7. Theirs is cheesy 5 member pop, not REAL pop like Spices or All Saints or Sugababes etc.

I have no idea. It's baffling you'd think Whole Again would be their most streamed song.

I did look on Wiki and it seems that TTIH was used in various adverts and movies and was a staple on Radio Disney for a couple of years in the U.S. so maybe that's benefitted the song. But as it's a cover you wouldn't think it would be that memorable.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Jul 24 2021, 11:34 AM
Post #5
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217
It does seem like The Tide Is High benefits from inclusion on particular playlists and having mild popularity in the US, but it is a little bizarre to see it second most listened to of that era of girl groups.

Atomic Kitten were great imo though, queens of midtempos. I really don't think they were appealing to straight men musically, apart from this recent football song which is totally a lightning in a bottle moment laugh.gif Be With You though... one of the best girl group songs ever!

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Jul 24 2021, 12:32 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Jul 24 2021, 11:19 AM) *
Atomic Kitten are amazing and deserve the world and all the success they have been having! Iconic girlband.

the greatest girl band in the world can choke. Worst girlband ever, proper straight-man awfulness urgh

This tbh

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Jul 24 2021, 12:45 PM
Post #7
Group icon
the greatest girl band in the world can choke. Worst girlband ever

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Jul 24 2021, 01:46 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568
QUOTE(-Jay- @ Jul 24 2021, 12:34 PM) *
It does seem like The Tide Is High benefits from inclusion on particular playlists and having mild popularity in the US, but it is a little bizarre to see it second most listened to of that era of girl groups.

Atomic Kitten were great imo though, queens of midtempos. I really don't think they were appealing to straight men musically, apart from this recent football song which is totally a lightning in a bottle moment laugh.gif Be With You though... one of the best girl group songs ever!

I agree Atomic Kitten were great for their time, they don’t really get enough recognition. Also think they broke up too quickly there was definitely another album campaign left in them Ladies Night actually sold 500k in the U.K.

Be with you is excellent such a bop!! I also think their ballads were better than Girls Aloud’s on the whole.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Jul 24 2021, 01:55 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Jul 24 2021, 12:19 PM) *
Little Mix are amazing and deserve the world and all the success they have been having! Iconic girlband.

Atomic Kitten can choke. Worst girlband ever, proper straight-man awfulness urgh

I can think of several worse girl bands… B*Witched, Stooshe, Girl Thing, Dolly Rockers, The Saturdays, Precious…

I’m not the biggest fan of little mix but I agree they deserve all their success and are an amazing girl band, the voices, the dancing, “some” of the songs!

This post has been edited by spiceboy: Jul 24 2021, 01:56 PM

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Jul 24 2021, 02:46 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Dill Doe @ Jul 24 2021, 12:07 PM) *

Both Steps and Little Mix have released far more and toured far more than any of those acts bar Sugababes.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Jul 24 2021, 04:56 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
QUOTE(spiceboy @ Jul 24 2021, 03:46 PM) *
Both Steps and Little Mix have released far more and toured far more than any of those acts bar Sugababes.

Quality over quantity dear x

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post Jul 24 2021, 04:57 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 106,588
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Jul 24 2021, 11:19 AM) *

I highly doubt any straight man listens to Atomic Kitten (besides the Football's Coming Home version) laugh.gif The were, and still are, amazing. Whole Again will always be a 10/10.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Jul 24 2021, 05:57 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Like, imagine thinking this is a good girlband at all:

Atomic Kitten are just trash with trash music lads, im sorry that you cant have good taste. It must really suck tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Mr.X: Jul 24 2021, 06:00 PM

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post Jul 24 2021, 06:21 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 106,588
Thankfully we are all allowed to have our own opinions, right? And calling a group of women "trash" says a lot more about you than about the people who enjoy their music. I don't think anyone on here would argue that Football.. or that performance is a highlight in their career, it's just a fun one-off that got quite a bit of attention but most fans go back to enjoying their classics like Whole Again, Be With You, The Last Goodbye, It's OK, Eternal Flame, You Are etc.

This post has been edited by Chemistry: Jul 24 2021, 06:24 PM

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Jul 24 2021, 06:22 PM
Post #15
Group icon
But that's a rushed performance of a rewritten song for football (Jenny had literally arrived in the UK the day before). They had some great music/videos/performances during their original run, when they were a more polished act! Listen to Be With You, to me it's pretty undeniably one of the best girl group songs. It's OK is really cute too. Original Whole Again is of course a stone cold classic.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Jul 24 2021, 06:27 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Yeah, I never liked them personally, always found them cringe and trash but thats just me. I dont mean trash as in the girls are trash (they seem lovely). I mean that their music is trash (i.e. bad) in a general way.

Never been a fan. Their whole shtick/brand screams 'for the straight birtish lads trashing the streets of Costa del Sol on holiday' to be, it's just not my vibe at all and never thought they were good singers or performers. I remember listening to one of their albums back in the day and left me cold...

Good for them to have such success.

This post has been edited by Mr.X: Jul 24 2021, 06:28 PM

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Jul 24 2021, 07:23 PM
Post #17
Group icon
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Jul 24 2021, 07:27 PM) *
Their whole shtick/brand screams 'for the straight birtish lads trashing the streets of Costa del Sol on holiday' to be, it's just not my vibe at all

This is so wild to me laugh.gif I mean you're entitled to feel it of course but I'd say it's a huge misconception. Outside of football fans randomly deciding to chant a rewritten Whole Again, they're so far from being a "lads lads lads" artist. As with most girl groups, it was/is mostly the girls and the gays who like(d) them kink.gif

Their brand/image in 2001-4 was rather middle of the road and inoffensive. "Straight British lads" in the main probably didn't pay them much attention unless they were in lads magazines (which pretty much every UK female act used for promotion in those days, which looking back was quite curious marketing because I can't really see the majority of them convincing straight men to buy records via sexy photoshoots).

(Lol at most of the Spice Girls forum chat the past couple of days being about other girl groups)

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Jul 24 2021, 07:48 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(-Jay- @ Jul 24 2021, 08:23 PM) *
This is so wild to me laugh.gif I mean you're entitled to feel it of course but I'd say it's a huge misconception. Outside of football fans randomly deciding to chant a rewritten Whole Again, they're so far from being a "lads lads lads" artist. As with most girl groups, it was/is mostly the girls and the gays who like(d) them kink.gif

Their brand/image in 2001-4 was rather middle of the road and inoffensive. "Straight British lads" in the main probably didn't pay them much attention unless they were in lads magazines (which pretty much every UK female act used for promotion in those days, which looking back was quite curious marketing because I can't really see the majority of them convincing straight men to buy records via sexy photoshoots).

(Lol at most of the Spice Girls forum chat the past couple of days being about other girl groups)

YEP. I guess we have different interpretations of them. I grew up in Portugal and used to holiday a lot in Spain and believe me, it was just the straights who loved them, specially when they would trash the areas they would be in. I guess I missed most of the whole thing as they were big in the UK but from what I remembered, they never really took off that much in Portugal (same with Steps for instance) apart from like two songs.

ANYWAY enough about them, lets focus on good girlbands yeah?! pirate.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Jul 24 2021, 08:32 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Yes let’s dedicate the next page to discussion about The Saturdays cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Jul 25 2021, 12:27 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
The Saturdays are lower tier girl band too, unfortunately sleep.gif Although All Fired Up is a f***ing BOP! wub.gif

+Quote this post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
This thread is locked.Create a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:02 PM