BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Ebay To Auction Off Presley House
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tilly
post 30th March 2006, 09:42 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I just can't help believin'
User: 191

A mid 50's ranch-style house in Memphis that goes on the market next month has a low-pitched hip roof, an attached two-car garage, a motorcycle garage, a swimming pool - and maybe the spirit of Elvis Presley.

The home at 1034 Audubon Drive was purchased by the singer and his parents in March 1956, the same month Heartbreak Hotel became his first No. 1 hit. It was announced Monday that it will be put up for auction on Ebay, with bidding opening April 14 and closing May 14.

The house was the setting for many familiar Presley photographs, notably ones taken by Alfred Wertheimer. The Presleys moved out in 1957 and settled in at a more famous address on Highway 51, Graceland. That estate was named a National Historic Landmark on Monday, joining the White House, Mount Vernon and Monticello in receiving the country's highest designation for historic properties.

Source: Elvis Unlimited / Updated: Mar 28, 2006.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 30th March 2006, 09:54 PM
Post #2
Group icon

IPB Image

When I was in Memphis last year, I was lucky enough to meet the current owners of the house in Audubon Drive, Mike Freeman and Cindy Hazen. Mike is very knowledgeable about Elvis and took us on a tour of Tupelo and all around Memphis, visiting places which were important to Elvis. It's very sad that they are having to sell the house but I hope that the new owners appreciate it's history and are as friendly and helpful to Elvis fans as Mike and Cindy have been.

Here's a link to their website where there's pictures and info on it's 'Elvis' history cool.gif

http://www.elvistyle.com/

+Quote this post
BeautifulAngel
post 1st April 2006, 01:04 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Love me tender, love me sweet, never let me go.
User: 188

Thanks for posting that Carole, it's very interesting for non elvis fans to look at and also us Elvis fans. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 14th April 2006, 09:26 PM
Post #4
Group icon

Bidding on Auduben Drive home starts on ebay today:

The most serious Elvis Presley fans can lay their heads where The King once laid his own, by buying his old house in East Memphis.

Elvis bought the 2,900-square-foot house at 1034 Audubon Drive in 1956 with the profits he earned from "Heartbreak Hotel." Nashville-based Honky Tonk Hall of Fame LLC is helping auction the property on eBay, with bidding beginning today.

The Shelby County Assessor of Property lists Michael Freeman and Cindy Hazen as the current owners. It's appraised at $261,700. The four-bedroom, two-bath house is a sprawling one-story ranch home on a heavily wooded lot. It was Elvis' retreat, halfway between Park and Quince, near the University of Memphis. Elvis lived there during the time that he recorded "Hound Dog," "Don't Be Cruel," and "Love Me Tender." It was a place to crash after appearances on Ed Sullivan, Steve Allen and Milton Berle. There's also a two-car attached garage, a pool out back and a brick and metal fence installed by Elvis to provide privacy.
Harassed by fans, Elvis bought Graceland 13 months later. Both homes have recently been added to the National Historic Register of Homes. Bidding on the online auction site will open later today on ebay and close on 14 May.

(News, Source: Memphis Business Journal)

+Quote this post
B.P.
post 15th April 2006, 07:19 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 395

I will have to have a look smile.gif

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 17th April 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #6
Group icon

Just thought you might like to see more pictures of the house tongue.gif This is the link for ebay wink.gif I see the current bid is $100,000 and the reserve has not been met, but it doesn't close until May 14th smile.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/Elvis-Presleys-1956-Ho...1QQcmdZViewItem

+Quote this post
B.P.
post 18th April 2006, 04:14 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Was soooo tempted to bid, just to be able to say I had made a bid, but I see they are vetting bidders in advance sad.gif I could never have bought it, but I would have loved to bid it up a little rolleyes.gif Never mind smile.gif

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 20th April 2006, 11:39 PM
Post #8
Group icon

If you can't afford the house, how about some of the tiles from the swimming pool? wink.gif laugh.gif

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Elvis-Presleys-Swimm...1QQcmdZViewItem

+Quote this post
B.P.
post 22nd April 2006, 08:23 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

The vendor has such a poor rating, with only a few 17 transactions, I wouldn't trust them to be original myself, though I may be doing him/her a disservice sad.gif
Plus I already get moaned at for the amount of items I won't throw out, maybe next time smile.gif

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 23rd April 2006, 12:20 AM
Post #10
Group icon

Latest news ohmy.gif

We have been informed that psychic, Uri Geller is one of the front runner bidders for the former home of Elvis Presley, which is currently being auctioned on eBay and ends on May 14th.
Geller's last known bid was $351,000.00 but the current price stands at $410,100.00 (as of time of writing).
But Geller, who lives in London, said he was unbowed and would increase his bid substantially. "If I was Bill Gates, I would bid as much as I can," Geller said. "But I also have my limits. Hopefully, though, I will be able to go up and up and up and get it. I have good faith."
If successful, Geller, who met Presley in Las Vegas in the 1970s and owns a large collection of Elvis memorabilia, said he wants to turn the 3,000-square-foot (280-sq-metres) home into a museum with a twist.
"It will have all the bizarre things that Elvis Presley believed in," including his fascination with UFOs, Geller told Reuters. "He was ahead of his time."

www.elvis-express.com / Source: Email

Not sure if this is good news unsure.gif

+Quote this post
B.P.
post 23rd April 2006, 06:22 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(tilly @ Apr 23 2006, 01:26 AM) *

Latest news ohmy.gif

We have been informed that psychic, Uri Geller is one of the front runner bidders for the former home of Elvis Presley, which is currently being auctioned on eBay and ends on May 14th.
Geller's last known bid was $351,000.00 but the current price stands at $410,100.00 (as of time of writing).
But Geller, who lives in London, said he was unbowed and would increase his bid substantially. "If I was Bill Gates, I would bid as much as I can," Geller said. "But I also have my limits. Hopefully, though, I will be able to go up and up and up and get it. I have good faith."
If successful, Geller, who met Presley in Las Vegas in the 1970s and owns a large collection of Elvis memorabilia, said he wants to turn the 3,000-square-foot (280-sq-metres) home into a museum with a twist.
"It will have all the bizarre things that Elvis Presley believed in," including his fascination with UFOs, Geller told Reuters. "He was ahead of his time."
www.elvis-express.com / Source: Email

Not sure if this is good news unsure.gif

He may be a fan, but it's the $signs motivating his purchase methinks mad.gif I think he should stick to bending spoons and let a true fan buy their dream property!

+Quote this post
BeautifulAngel
post 1st May 2006, 07:37 AM
Post #12
Group icon

QUOTE(B.P. @ Apr 23 2006, 07:28 AM) *

He may be a fan, but it's the $signs motivating his purchase methinks mad.gif I think he should stick to bending spoons and let a true fan buy their dream property!

I agree with BP on this one.

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 14th May 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #13
Group icon

Only just over 2 hours until the auction ends and at the moment the highest bid is US $460,300.00 wink.gif I expect this to go up, however, before the end cool.gif Still hoping that EPE go for it (I think rolleyes.gif ) Just want the new buyer to appreciate the importance this house has in Elvis history thumbup.gif

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 15th May 2006, 07:03 AM
Post #14
Group icon

Audobon Drive home sells for US$905,100.00: In a final day of frantic bidding the price rose from $460.000.00 to more than $900,000.00 before the hammer fell and an as yet unnamed bidder, "pg2000", took home one of the richest Elvis related prizes ever. With an appraised value of $280,000.00 the result is a windfall for its soon-to-be-ex owners, Mike Freeman and Cindy Hazen. Bill Burk tells us a book on the home is rumoured to be in production.

(News, Source: eBay/Bill E. Burk)

+Quote this post
BeautifulAngel
post 15th May 2006, 10:26 AM
Post #15
Group icon

Shame i didn't have the money sad.gif

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 15th May 2006, 08:12 PM
Post #16
Group icon

Looks like Uri Geller's got it!! ohmy.gif

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Psychic Uri Geller and two partners have bought the Tennessee house Elvis Presley lived in before moving to Graceland, with a winning bid of $905,100 on eBay, he said on Monday.

"We are unbelievably pleased. This is a piece of history," Geller said by phone from England.

"We intend to restore it to its old glory. We would like to bring sick children there (for tours), Palestinian children, Israeli children, American children," the Israeli-born Geller said. "Hopefully one day we might get approval to turn it into a museum."

Presley bought the four-bedroom, two-bath house at 1034 Audubon Drive in Memphis in 1956 with a down payment of $500. He lived there for 13 months before moving to Graceland, the now-famous Memphis estate where he died in 1977.

During his time in the white, ranch-style house with an outdoor swimming pool, Presley's career took off with hits such as "All Shook Up" and "Don't be cruel."

Geller identified the sellers as Mike and Cindy Hazen, who bought the house some years ago, though not from Presley, for about $180,000.

Geller had original bid $300,000 last month but a bidding war ensued and the price ballooned, he said. During the process he was approached by dozens of people wanting to go in with him, he said. He chose two, New York lawyer Jim Gleason and Lisbeth Silvandersson, a Swedish-born jewelry maker who lives in England, as equal partners.

He had set a ceiling price of $1.11 million, said Geller, who acknowledges a paranormal fascination with the number 11.

"As the clock closed on the bidding Sunday," Geller said, "I felt intuitively I got the price. I was text messaging Gleason and it was exactly 11 on my mobile phone and suddenly the radio started playing an Elvis song. That was Elvis telling me we got the house!"

Geller met Presley in Las Vegas in the 1970s after the "King of Rock and Roll" asked him to perform his "spoon bending" trick for him, he said. Since then he has amassed a large collection of Presley memorabilia, he said.

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

+Quote this post
BeautifulAngel
post 16th May 2006, 09:47 AM
Post #17
Group icon

QUOTE(tilly @ May 15 2006, 09:12 PM) *

Looks like Uri Geller's got it!! ohmy.gif

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Psychic Uri Geller and two partners have bought the Tennessee house Elvis Presley lived in before moving to Graceland, with a winning bid of $905,100 on eBay, he said on Monday.

"We are unbelievably pleased. This is a piece of history," Geller said by phone from England.

"We intend to restore it to its old glory. We would like to bring sick children there (for tours), Palestinian children, Israeli children, American children," the Israeli-born Geller said. "Hopefully one day we might get approval to turn it into a museum."
Presley bought the four-bedroom, two-bath house at 1034 Audubon Drive in Memphis in 1956 with a down payment of $500. He lived there for 13 months before moving to Graceland, the now-famous Memphis estate where he died in 1977.

During his time in the white, ranch-style house with an outdoor swimming pool, Presley's career took off with hits such as "All Shook Up" and "Don't be cruel."

Geller identified the sellers as Mike and Cindy Hazen, who bought the house some years ago, though not from Presley, for about $180,000.

Geller had original bid $300,000 last month but a bidding war ensued and the price ballooned, he said. During the process he was approached by dozens of people wanting to go in with him, he said. He chose two, New York lawyer Jim Gleason and Lisbeth Silvandersson, a Swedish-born jewelry maker who lives in England, as equal partners.

He had set a ceiling price of $1.11 million, said Geller, who acknowledges a paranormal fascination with the number 11.

"As the clock closed on the bidding Sunday," Geller said, "I felt intuitively I got the price. I was text messaging Gleason and it was exactly 11 on my mobile phone and suddenly the radio started playing an Elvis song. That was Elvis telling me we got the house!"

Geller met Presley in Las Vegas in the 1970s after the "King of Rock and Roll" asked him to perform his "spoon bending" trick for him, he said. Since then he has amassed a large collection of Presley memorabilia, he said.
© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

I didn't want him to have it. dry.gif

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 16th May 2006, 04:20 PM
Post #18
Group icon

Neither did I, Lesley huh.gif Thought that EPE might have gone in for it wink.gif Guess we'll have to wait and see what he does with it mellow.gif

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 16th May 2006, 10:58 PM
Post #19
Group icon

Looks like EPE never intended to buy the house wink.gif

EPE Did Not Consider Purchasing 1034 AudubonAfter the sale of 1043 Audubon, Elvis home before he bought his Graceland Mansion, we asked Todd Morgan's EPE if they considered buying this house, here is his reaction:

We did not consider purchasing 1034 Audubon.

If the house at 1034 Audubon Drive were closer to Graceland and were not sitting in a neighborhood zoned as purely residential, perhaps we would have deemed it a potentially viable addition to our Graceland tour operations and might have considered trying to buy it. The kind of money owners Mike Freeman and Cindy Hazen were looking for was way beyond our budget for new archival acquisitions at this time and there would have been no sure way for us to recoup the investment. All our energy and resources for perservation are focused on Graceland Mansion and our vast Elvis archives. We felt confident that the future of 1034 Audubon would be "safe" when we saw that the bidding was exceedingly far above market value for homes in its neighborhood. Any of the bidders surely had to value its Elvis history to be willing to pay so much.

Some fans suggested that we buy the house at 1034 Audubon and move it to the Graceland visitor center property to make it available for tours. It's an intriguing idea, but it would have been prohibitively expensive in addition to the purchase price, and there is no room in the budget for such an undertaking in our plans for revamping the visitor center properties.

Source: ElvisNews.com / Updated: May 16, 2006

+Quote this post
BeautifulAngel
post 17th May 2006, 10:46 AM
Post #20
Group icon

QUOTE(tilly @ May 16 2006, 05:20 PM) *

Neither did I, Lesley huh.gif Thought that EPE might have gone in for it wink.gif Guess we'll have to wait and see what he does with it mellow.gif

We should have brought it together Carole cheer.gif

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th April 2024, 12:16 AM