BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 1957 Elvis hits Canada
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tilly
post 28th May 2006, 07:29 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I just can't help believin'
User: 191

"Like WWII battle" as Elvis phenomenon hits Canada in 1957 (Concert Review):

Toronto Star critic Hugh Thomson could only complain about aching ears when he returned from Maple Leaf Gardens the night of April 2, 1957, after watching Elvis Presley in what was the area's first major arena rock and roll concert — a crowd headlined "His Largest Ever."

The paper was impressed enough at the Elvis phenomenon to interview almost anyone who would talk about the liver-lipped, hip-swivelling 22-year-old, riding high on hits like "Heartbreak Hotel," "Love Me Tender," and "Don't be Cruel."

There were stories about Elvis the marketing phenomenon, and how his crafty manager, Col. Tom Parker, was selling some 60 items, including Elvis busts, glow-in-the-dark photos, bobby sox, lipstick (in Hound Dog orange, Heartbreak Hotel pink and Tutti Frutti red) and "a pomade for kids with unruly hair."

There were also plenty of stories about his hypnotic effect on women, complete with interviews with females from 4 to 64. A cutline under photos of shrieking fans read: "Flash cameras popping made the arena look like a World War II battle. Psychologist saw nothing abnormal in squeals."

However, Thomson noted he really couldn't hear much actual music, because of the sustained screaming of the 23,000 fans who attended the back-to-back performances.

"I've heard it said that the lurchin' urchin, Elvis the Pelvis, hasn't any kind of singing voice, and I was anxious to hear if there was anything in the rumour," Thomson complained. "Frankly, after all of his rock 'n' roll ballads, delivered with a ferocious intensity and manoeuvres known in the burlesque business as "all-out grinds and bumps," I still have no way of knowing. I just didn't hear one note or word he sang."

(News. Source: TheStar.com)

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 28th May 2006, 07:48 PM
Post #2
Group icon

Here's a link to the original article published in “ The Toronto Star “ on April 3rd 1957 biggrin.gif

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/ccshowrev7.html

+Quote this post
B.P.
post 2nd June 2006, 04:44 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 395

QUOTE(tilly @ May 28 2006, 08:32 PM) *

"Like WWII battle" as Elvis phenomenon hits Canada in 1957 (Concert Review):

Toronto Star critic Hugh Thomson could only complain about aching ears when he returned from Maple Leaf Gardens the night of April 2, 1957, after watching Elvis Presley in what was the area's first major arena rock and roll concert — a crowd headlined "His Largest Ever."
The paper was impressed enough at the Elvis phenomenon to interview almost anyone who would talk about the liver-lipped, hip-swivelling 22-year-old, riding high on hits like "Heartbreak Hotel," "Love Me Tender," and "Don't be Cruel."

There were stories about Elvis the marketing phenomenon, and how his crafty manager, Col. Tom Parker, was selling some 60 items, including Elvis busts, glow-in-the-dark photos, bobby sox, lipstick (in Hound Dog orange, Heartbreak Hotel pink and Tutti Frutti red) and "a pomade for kids with unruly hair."

There were also plenty of stories about his hypnotic effect on women, complete with interviews with females from 4 to 64. A cutline under photos of shrieking fans read: "Flash cameras popping made the arena look like a World War II battle. Psychologist saw nothing abnormal in squeals."

However, Thomson noted he really couldn't hear much actual music, because of the sustained screaming of the 23,000 fans who attended the back-to-back performances.

"I've heard it said that the lurchin' urchin, Elvis the Pelvis, hasn't any kind of singing voice, and I was anxious to hear if there was anything in the rumour," Thomson complained. "Frankly, after all of his rock 'n' roll ballads, delivered with a ferocious intensity and manoeuvres known in the burlesque business as "all-out grinds and bumps," I still have no way of knowing. I just didn't hear one note or word he sang."

(News. Source: TheStar.com)

Now how would you ladies have liked to see a 22 year old Elvis, doing his original bump and grind moves on stage??? biggrin.gif

Can you imagine if you had seen him perform here, or even better, before he was famous ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 2nd June 2006, 02:10 PM
Post #4
Group icon

I would have given anything to see him, anytime dance.gif I would have loved to have seen him in the early days - you can just imagine what the teenagers then were thinking seeing Elvis after the sort of music they had been used to. I think it's hard for some people to realise the impact Elvis had on the world of music. To have been there at the start, must have been amazing! thumbup.gif

If I could have seen him just one time, I think I would have loved to have been in the audience at the taping of the Comeback Special, for obvious reasons wub.gif

Only trouble is, I wasn't born at the time Elvis was starting, and if I had seen him, I would be much older now wacko.gif laugh.gif

+Quote this post
B.P.
post 2nd June 2006, 06:27 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(tilly @ Jun 2 2006, 03:13 PM) *

I would have given anything to see him, anytime dance.gif I would have loved to have seen him in the early days - you can just imagine what the teenagers then were thinking seeing Elvis after the sort of music they had been used to. I think it's hard for some people to realise the impact Elvis had on the world of music. To have been there at the start, must have been amazing! thumbup.gif

If I could have seen him just one time, I think I would have loved to have been in the audience at the taping of the Comeback Special, for obvious reasons wub.gif

Only trouble is, I wasn't born at the time Elvis was starting, and if I had seen him, I would be much older now wacko.gif laugh.gif

Well, I think we need a reall life Dr Samuel Beckett, to invent a machine we can all use. Failing that, just one for us Elvis fans thumbup.gif

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 2nd June 2006, 10:44 PM
Post #6
Group icon

Sounds great BP cheer.gif thumbup.gif Take us back to when this pic was taken, eh? Just for starters dance.gif

IPB Image wub.gif

+Quote this post
B.P.
post 3rd June 2006, 12:25 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(tilly @ Jun 2 2006, 11:47 PM) *

Sounds great BP cheer.gif thumbup.gif Take us back to when this pic was taken, eh? Just for starters dance.gif

IPB Image wub.gif

I have a sneaky feeling we might lose him if I did, as I can't see either you or BA letting him out of your sight long enough for him to record any music rolleyes.gif

God I wish I looked like him, women would be falling over themselves to spend time with me rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by B.P.: 3rd June 2006, 12:26 AM

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 3rd June 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #8
Group icon

Think you're right there dance.gif Poor devil wouldn't know what had hit him if Lesley and I got our paws on him wub.gif laugh.gif

But I'm sure you're lovely too biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
B.P.
post 3rd June 2006, 02:27 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(tilly @ Jun 3 2006, 01:43 AM) *

Think you're right there dance.gif Poor devil wouldn't know what had hit him if Lesley and I got our paws on him wub.gif laugh.gif

But I'm sure you're lovely too biggrin.gif

Very kind, but trust me on this one I am not rolleyes.gif I do love Elvis though, so that's nearly as good biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Tilly
post 3rd June 2006, 06:17 PM
Post #10
Group icon

Too right it is thumbup.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread