BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Framing Britney Spears | 5th Feb 2021
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Nick F1
post Jan 16 2021, 06:43 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 5,392
The New York Times Presents: Framing Britney Spears (Premieres 2.5.21 on Hulu)

This post has been edited by Nick F1: Jan 16 2021, 06:46 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 22 2021, 11:31 PM
Post #2
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Airs February 5th 2021.

Will you be watching?

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 22 2021, 11:33 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I hope it's tasteful and isn't just using her name. I'm a sucker for a documentary about a popstar so I'm fully intrigued by this.

+Quote this post
Addy!
post Jan 23 2021, 12:04 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666
Yeah, I just hope it's not something done poorly or have some un-factual controversy just for the sake of viewership!!!

But bring those extra 200 sales on iTunes for some of her catalogue kink.gif

+Quote this post
Scene
post Jan 23 2021, 11:25 AM
Post #5
Group icon
This is where you end and I begin
User: 5,567
I'll watch. I love a documentary. cheer.gif

It was only a couple of weeks ago when I was reading about Britney's conservatorship battle that I thought a documentary showing the lack of control she has over her career and finances would help the Free Britney campaign. Hopefully this serves her well.
Any links to stream in the UK are welcome. gaycat.png

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post Jan 25 2021, 10:54 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030
this is going to be very interesting because her medical history is not allowed to be discussed but that's literally the reason she's under a conservership... so i'm intrigued at the angle this doc is going at.

+Quote this post
Nick F1
post Jan 27 2021, 06:10 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
‘Framing Britney Spears’ Is a Clear-Eyed Look at a Public Life Gone Silent: TV Review

https://variety.com/2021/tv/reviews/framing...-fx-1234892912/

+Quote this post
Nick F1
post Jan 27 2021, 06:29 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

+Quote this post
Slayer
post Jan 30 2021, 05:27 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 120,499
Fe in the new trailer:

+Quote this post
Slayer
post Jan 30 2021, 05:28 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
The attorney Britney tried to hire in 2008

+Quote this post
Nick F1
post Feb 2 2021, 09:01 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Los Angeles magazine interviewed the Framing Britney Spears director

Why did you want to explore Britney Spears for a documentary?

[New York Times senior editor] Liz Day pitched it. Originally, it was before all these court filings started coming out, so when we originally pitched it, there hadn’t been any public record indications that Britney wanted anything changed with the conservatorship. We didn’t think there was going to be much change on that front, so we actually began looking at the media coverage that had happened about her with the post-#MeToo lens and realizing how much of the media coverage was so misogynistic in a way that feels like it wouldn’t fly today. And then it also asks these questions, like why did nobody bring up anything when these late-night hosts are making fun of her, her ***uality as a teenager, like why didn’t we as a society say don’t do that?

I was also really interested in these two images that have traveled with Britney her whole life. One is of her shaving her head and one is brandishing this umbrella, and it feels like it’s in everyone’s subconscious. I wanted to know what was outside the frame of those still images.

As we started filming, these court filings started coming out where Britney is indicating that she wants things in the conservatorship to change, which you can’t underestimate how groundbreaking that was. That really made us want to dig into conservatorship law and see what is legal and why.

You secured an interview with Felicia Culotta, her longtime assistant/chaperone. What is tough to get her to agree to appear in the film?

It was really hard to get anyone to talk at all at first. There’s been this cone of silence around Britney for so many years that it feels like no one wants to be the first person to talk. We had a spreadsheet of hundreds of people with anyone we could think of and we sent requests and called people. A lot of people talked to us off the record, but it was hard to get people to go on the record and on camera with their face. We have an all-female crew doing this. We wrote out our whole pitch, and wanted to reassess things and correct a lot of misinformation about her out there.

We wanted to find a female record executive to talk about her early career and we found Kim Kaiman, who is in the piece. She was really surprised that we reached out to her because people don’t really ask her for interviews about this. We talked to her a lot and she reached out to Felicia for us and that’s how we got it. It was several phone conversations and Felicia was impressed that we were going to go out to Mississippi to interview her in person and she showed us around her town and it gave us more of a sense of what Britney’s life was like growing up.

Speaking to a female record executive as opposed to a male, how do you think that will change people’s perception of Britney?

What [Kaiman] said and what was corroborated by several other people was how much control Britney had over the creation of her image. The point that kept being made was that teenagers have ***uality. The reason Britney was so successful was that she captured the dichotomy of what it’s like to be a teenage girl so well because she had ***uality and wanting to be an adult woman, and she also had a kid in her and that’s true about many teenagers. She got a lot of shame for that and there were a lot of people thinking she’s being ***ualized, she doesn’t know what she’s doing, this is disgusting, she’s a child and I think that was older people doing that, not the millions of tweens and teens who felt like something about her really spoke to them. We discovered in the piece this kind of strength and control she has over her body and her space as a young person that I think is one of the big reasons she is successful.

Her target audience was 12- and 13-year-olds. Kim marketed her as your friend who you idolize but at the end of the day, she has the same hopes and dreams you do. It was surprising to me because when I was interviewing a lot of these Free Britney people, and the vast majority of them were in their late 20s, early 30s, almost all of them. And it’s the same people who Kim marketed Britney toward are now standing outside the courthouse protesting. That was a revelation for me because it worked so well because they really responded to seeing her as this friend they looked up to. And now years later, seeing your friend who you looked up to in a situation where it’s unclear whether she’s happy or not, they’re still, like, this is my friend I idolize.

A LOT OF PEOPLE IN THE FREE BRITNEY MOVEMENT ARE ASKING LEGITIMATE QUESTIONS THAT WE SHOULD ALL ASK ABOUT THE CONSERVATORSHIP SYSTEM.

What did you think of the Free Britney fans?

A lot of people write them off as conspiracy theorists. That’s a really easy thing to do. I was surprised at how in-depth and investigative they were going, and there are some lawyers who are a part of this group and some people who have witnessed conservatorship abuse because there is abuse that happens in the conservatorship system. And a lot of them are asking legitimate questions that we should all ask about the conservatorship system. Where are there conflicts of interest? Where are there loopholes? We don’t know why Britney is in one, but for example, a lot of people think it has something to do with living with a mental illness. Should somebody living with a mental illness be subject to a conservatorship is a legitimate question to ask.

It’s important not to write them off as conspiracy theorists. Of course we’re vetting everything they say and we’re not including anything that isn’t true.

Was there anything you didn’t include that you wish made it in the documentary?

This could be a six-hour series. I heard a lot of these incredible stories from fans who were gay boys growing up with her and this idea that she was criticized for her ***uality from a young age and was rebellious throughout her career after that. A lot of the loudest voices in the Free Britney movement are gay men who were boys when she was becoming popular. I found that very moving.

What are you hoping this documentary will accomplish?

I hope it gives viewers a more accurate and clear perspective on who Britney is and who she was. I hope it makes everyone question our own complicity in the awful things that were done to her by us, by the consumers. The reason Us Weekly was able to pay these paparazzi so much money was because people were buying the magazines. At one point Wesley Morris, one of the writers in our film, says, “No one was helping her because there was too much money to be made off her suffering,” and I think we show that in a new way. I also hope people come away with a look at the conservatorship system and think about the questions that it raises as systemic issues are there.

https://www.lamag.com/culturefiles/britney-...campaign=buffer

+Quote this post
Nick F1
post Feb 2 2021, 09:03 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Stereogum Review: 'Even Without Real Answers, Framing Britney Spears Communicates Dark Truths'

https://www.stereogum.com/2114383/even-with...he-week-in-pop/

Variety TV Review: 'Framing Britney Spears’ Is a Clear-Eyed Look at a Public Life Gone Silent'

https://variety.com/2021/tv/reviews/framing...-fx-1234892912/

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post Feb 3 2021, 10:37 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030
thing is, the documentary just goes off public, court records so the Spears' family cannot sue... which in 2021 is something.

+Quote this post
Nick F1
post Feb 3 2021, 07:41 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Feb 5 2021, 10:25 AM
Post #15
Group icon
This airs tonight in the US. So we'll get it tomorrow.

+Quote this post
Slayer
post Feb 6 2021, 03:06 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Such an amazing documentary!

Message me if you want the link to watch it! smile.gif

+Quote this post
Nick F1
post Feb 6 2021, 06:14 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I'll watch tmrrw night smile.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Feb 7 2021, 01:37 AM
Post #18
Group icon
It's a very good documentary! Very insightful not only to the conservatorship but to everything right from the start of her career. The misogynistic interviews she was experiencing at such a young age and being asked about boyfriends when she was 10, to which the host asks "what about me?" and her look of concern right away like... VOM!

Ik Justin had accused her of cheating, but I didn't realise just how much he benefited from that story/time and how different his public image was compared to Britney's at that time (obviously I knew all about CMAR but I never thought of it as much as a song about an ex who cheated, y'know? - maybe I was too young to realise at the time and really notice it in that way).

It's always been hard to view the clips where she gets continuously hounded by the papz, but watching this just hit so hard and I literally teared up and got emotional watching it all. Especially the stuff about her breakdown.

I hope there is an end in sight for her, coz she deserves it. She deserves to be loved, happy and most importantly, FREE.

Loved the part about her getting $10,000 out and giving everyone who lived near hear $100 simply for it being Christmas. cry.gif Such a sweet soul. Which makes people around her (all MEN btw!) take advantage and abuse her status all the more infuriating.

+Quote this post
Slayer
post Feb 7 2021, 01:41 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Such a great interview here, i'd highly recommend you read. It was with the Director of the documentary, she said she wasn't a fan before but now she is.

https://www.queerty.com/britney-spears-pris...ZH-unqg.twitter

+Quote this post
No Sleeep
post Feb 7 2021, 01:58 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 22,008
I love this documentary so much. How they used old interview clips to show the bigger picture - it was ok for these creepy older men to sexualise Britney, but when she tries to take ownership of her own sexuality suddenly she’s responsible for everything wrong in America. Really can’t stand Diane Sawyer and Matt Lauer for how they treated Britney, as if she didn’t deserve any respect whatsoever. The fact that these “journalists” needed to pick on a young girl like that... it really would never happen nowadays and I’m glad most people at least now see the ridiculousness of it.

It made me so emotional, I guess because it’s so satisfying to see the public finally admit they were so wrong about Britney, and it’s contributed to her being stuck in this horrible situation. I was 7 in 2007 and even then I knew how they treated her was so wrong and that this would never happen to a man. Like somebody in the documentary said, that’s exactly why Britney and her gay fans have such a special connection.

It’s interesting that they never mentioned Lou Taylor. Just shows how careful they have to be with how they approach this subject, they can’t claim anything (no matter how obvious it seems) without proof, and they did a great job at painting the picture with just legal documents and Instagram posts.

I really teared up at the end when they played one of Britney’s Instagram videos. I wonder if this really was Project Rose.

+Quote this post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:15 AM