BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> MOBOs 2017 - Best Newcomer
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
MOBO 2017 Best Newcomer
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 15
Guests cannot vote 
ML Hammer95
post 22nd October 2017, 08:02 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,265

A tough category I feel, with 10 artists who have had excellent breakthrough years in 2017! I feel the three that will stand out to many are Jorja Smith, Mabel and Stefflon Don and with good reason. All have made their chart debuts this year and big things are expected for all three artists. They are warranted front runners for this award.

Also, it's been a great year for 'Afroswing' rap - UK rap music with Afrobeat and Caribbean influences. Following the example of J Hus, artists such as Kojo Funds, Lotto Boyzz, Not3s and Yxng Bane have exploded in popularity this year. This sound I feel has been the defining street sound of 2017 and songs such as Warning, No Don, Addison Lee, Aladdin & Rihanna are all staples round my way.

UK Rap with a focus on lyricism has also flourished - the witty wordplay of Loyle Carner, the street readiness of Brummie MIST. and the versatility of Dave (Samantha was one of my favourites at the start of the year) sees them receive deserved nominations.

But who will win? Last year's award went to WSTRN and I feel this year is harder to judge. My top 3 would be:

1. Stefflon Don (I firmly believe she will be huge)
2. Dave
3. Jorja Smith

In many ways, I could make a case for most of these winning this award, it's so open! Feel free to speculate below.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 22nd October 2017, 08:13 PM
Post #2
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

My personal fave would be Stefflon Don. "Hurtin' Me" has been her best track yet in my opinion but the likes of "16 Shots" and even her verse on "Instruction" have all been amazing. I hope you're right and she will be huge soon!

I've also really appreciated Jorja Smith ("Teenage Fantasy" especially wub.gif), Lotto Boyzz & Not3s this year biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
lotita
post 22nd October 2017, 08:34 PM
Post #3
Group icon
feminist icon
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,777

stefflon or jorja!!

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 22nd October 2017, 09:19 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Yxng Bane for me. I agree with you about Dave, Samantha was such a standout track in the genre.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 22nd October 2017, 10:20 PM
Post #5
Group icon
User: 13,007

Mabel is my favourite there.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread