BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

> 
6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jade's EOY ● 2022, *finally completed* top 100 songs full list: page 6
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post 25th June 2023, 12:51 PM
Post #101
Group icon
The light will cast me aside
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

TOP 100 SONGS: 10-01

10. Måneskin - SUPERMODEL | 301 points
09. Mitski - The Only Heartbreaker | 313 points
08. Taylor Swift - Anti-Hero | 314 points
07. Vandal Moon - Queen Of The Night | 319 points
06. Röyksopp - Oh, Lover (feat. Susanne Sundfør) | 322 points
05. Gabe Gurnsey - Push | 325 points
04. Mahmood & BLANCO - Brividi | 335 points
03. Metric - Doomscroller | 387 points
02. ROSALÍA - CANDY | 510 points
01. Working Men's Club - Widow | 992 points gold.gif

Eurovision winners Måneskin kick off the top 10 with their victory lap moment. The live debut of 'SUPERMODEL' was saved for the 2022 contest in Turin, although not under ideal circumstances, as front-man Damiano David was suffering with a leg injury. Still, they were determined to deliver and this performance helped the single to fully click with me. I finally got the chance to see them live myself, in London, last month and their energy in a concert setting is something special. 'SUPERMODEL' was more of a throwback 90s sound for them, with the introductory riff clearly taking inspiration from Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'. I do prefer their Italian material, but with an inevitable English return I was happy to hear a bit of a switch-up and not another 'I WANNA BE YOUR SLAVE' soundalike. 'SUPERMODEL' was inspired by the band's short time staying in LA - it details a fictional character obsessed with celebrity status. Måneskin had hit the big time at this point and got Max Martin on board for production duties also. The memorable video is inspired by some of the band's favourite movies - such as: Run Lola Run, Pulp Fiction, Hitchcock and Reservoir Dogs. I do still enjoy this song but it does feel a bit too high, as I'd say I return to the likes of 'Mary On A Cross' and 'The Foundations Of Decay' more and those missed out on this upper echelon, but the stats don't lie! Album track 'MARK CHAPMAN' turned out to be my favourite on their latest record. Mitski is here with a carry-over from 2021 that was doing very well into the new year as 'The Only Heartbreaker' was my first chart-topper of 2022. I can recall 'Working For The Knife' being pretty instant for me but I needed a bit more time with this one. In time it hit me like a tonne of bricks and became an easy #1. Mitski fully embraced 80s synth-pop here with a little help from Dan Wilson, as she was having trouble finishing off the song. 'The Only Heartbreaker' is about someone who seems to always be always making mistakes in relationships, but explores the idea that it is because they're the one who is trying. The accompanying music video shows Mitski in the forest and she unintentionally kills anything she comes into contact with. This is a mighty fine sad banger and the accompanying album Laurel Hell is well worth a listen too. Taylor Swift has done very well to appear in this top 10 when 'Anti-Hero' was released so late in the year. She was becoming a bit of a favourite in recent times, scoring personal chart #1s for: Lover, folklore, evermore and Red (Taylor's Version). But I did wonder if Midnights wouldn't quite scale these heights as 'Anti-Hero' merely debuted low top 10 for me, with both 'Bigger Than The Whole Sky' and 'Snow On The Beach' higher, yet none of them #1. However, in time, 'Anti-Hero' would rise to this coveted position following some strong growing power. This lead single details Taylor's struggles with very personal subjects such as anxiety, depression and eating disorders. She says sometimes her life can be a little too much and that she doesn't feel like a real person. These themes are illustrated in the music video. A scene where she reads 'FAT' on the scales caused enough controversy for it to ultimately be removed. The video also depicts her future kids arguing over what they will get in her will. As per usual, I enjoy her direct story-telling and lyricism here a lot. I also think her vocals sound great and appreciate the choice to use dark synth production. Vandal Moon score their highest placing in my countdown with an album track. This is the titular song from their latest, brilliant, studio album Queen Of The Night. This figure in question has a dark back-story as she is attempting to navigate a claustrophobic world that is falling apart. I love the contrast of this with the romantic phrasing such as "sing of my faithfulness" or addressing her as "my highness". Blake Voss sounds as commanding as ever on lead vocals and delivers a very sticky chorus. I also adore the pounding goth drums and moody synths. I think the band have now moved on from this era with new song 'Sad Sad Girl', but it does still encapsulate similar themes and sounds from Queen Of The Night. Norwegian electronic duo Röyksopp and singer Susanne Sundfør are a match made in heaven. Both 'Running to the Sea' and 'Never Ever' were essential for me so I couldn't wait for another instalment. 'Oh, Lover' was once again a slam dunk and became a multi-week chart topper. I love the brooding synth-meets-nu-disco sound, with a keyboard solo thrown in for good measure. Susanne details conflicting feelings that spring up off the back of a break-up in the most dreamy way that she always seems to nail. She wants to move forward but cannot let go of the euphoric times that the relationship did bring quite yet. This song is taken from Profound Mysteries II, part of an excellent trio of Röyksopp albums. I admire how prolific they were last year - especially with the quality of the music.

Gabe Gurnsey was a revelation for me last year. He's responsible for some very exciting electronic music with influences rooted in house, electro-pop and techno. 'Push' immediately commanded my attention with its pulsating beats and wobbles. Uncredited vocalist Tilly Morris has a very nonchalant yet charming vocal delivery. This song is laced in ecstatic feeling with lyrics such as: "This is a prime example of a pure temptation, your touch is heaven". The accompanying album DIABLO was a fantastic listen, with 'You Remind Me' standing out as my favourite album track. Mahmood & BLANCO at #4 benefit massively from two separate hype periods. I watched Italy's Sanremo Festival last year intently and fell in love with this song. I was familiar with Mahmood from his 2019 Eurovision runner-up 'Soldi' and also knew BLANCO, as I'd sent him to a BJSC-adjacent contest, BJFestivalen. So I was intrigued to see how their two styles would merge. They somehow came together smoothly and delivered a beautiful song in Italian about insecurities that people have in relationships. I thought the two had great chemistry on stage and was pleased that they won and would be representing Italy at Eurovision. Unfortunately, at the final, the magic wasn't quite there with the vocals and France ended up as my favourite performance on the night. So this does feel a bit too high for 'Brividi', but again, the numbers don't lie and I was pretty obsessed around Sanremo time and during the lead up to the Eurovision final! Metric achieve the bronze position here with a 10-minute epic. It's fantastic to see a band who have been together for around 25 years still approaching their work with this level of ambition. 'Doomscroller' boldly comes at you with cutting lyrics such as: "ruling class trickling piss from champagne glasses". They truly take us on a ride, opening with a dark bassline that morphs into rave-like beats, then later slowing down to an emotive piano-laden section, only for guitars to then kick back in with full force. Phew! As per the title, this commentary, delivered brilliantly by Emily Haines focuses on the anxiety-inducing hellscape that today's news feels like and how it's so accessible, leading to doom-scrolling. I enjoyed the accompanying album Formentera but this song is the clear ultimate standout from it and a career best. ROSALÍA has to settle for runner-up but boasts a huge points jump compared to anything else so far, with over 500. She can also claim highest position for a non-English language song, as this is in Spanish despite the title. 'CANDY' warmed my heart with its emotive mid-tempo style. I was excited to find out that this song contained a Burial interpolation and this would turn out to be the vocal melody borrowing from his own 'Archangel'. The very in-your-face 'CUUUUuuuuuute' was originally my favourite song from MOTOMAMI, which has done well here itself, but my attention soon focused more on this and I clung on to it tightly in my chart for a while. I admire her fresh takes on reggaeton music. The accompanying visuals for this heart-break anthem are shot in Tokyo and are inspired by the film Lost in Translation, hence ROSALÍA's pink wig in the video. Working Men's Club may have my second favourite album of 2022 but they claim an extremely decisive victory in this portion of the countdown with almost 1000 points!! 'Widow' was quite easily my longest running #1 last year with 11 non-consecutive weeks at the top. I knew a few songs from their debut album but hadn't gone out of my way to check it out in full yet yet. 'Widow' then arrived, to launch the Fear Fear era and initially 'only' debuted at #9 in my chart before becoming a total juggernaut. I loved that this song sounded like a modern update on Depeche Mode or New Order, that type of sound that is always right up my street. Here they tackle the subject of isolation which was unfortunately ravaging through society when the Covid pandemic was at its height. I appreciate how dark the lyrics can be, e.g. "look into my eyes, hollow dead inside" and how they're fighting against that upbeat 80s synth backing. Syd Minsky-Sargeant has such a captivating voice, it's so mature and conveys these dark sentiments so perfectly. I am rather intrigued by his dance moves now too after watching their Glastonbury set yesterday. Shame they left 'Widow' off their set-list though! Really I couldn't be toooo mad as they still highlighted so many great songs from their catalogue. In time I have become very familiar with both of their albums. 'Widow' may be gloomy but it's thrilling all the same, so was highly addictive for me and nothing truly stood a chance of dethroning it as my #1 song of 2022, congratulations to Working Men's Club clap.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jade
post 25th June 2023, 12:51 PM
Post #102
Group icon

RECAP

TOP 100 SONGS: 100-01

01. Working Men's Club - Widow | 992 points
02. ROSALÍA - CANDY | 510 points
03. Metric - Doomscroller | 387 points
04. Mahmood & BLANCO - Brividi | 335 points
05. Gabe Gurnsey - Push | 325 points
06. Röyksopp - Oh, Lover (feat. Susanne Sundfør) | 322 points
07. Vandal Moon - Queen Of The Night | 319 points
08. Taylor Swift - Anti-Hero | 314 points
09. Mitski - The Only Heartbreaker | 313 points
10. Måneskin - SUPERMODEL | 301 points

11. Vandal Moon - Sweet Disaster | 300 points
12. Beyoncé - BREAK MY SOUL | 299 points
13. Ghost - Mary On A Cross | 296 points
14. ROSALÍA - CUUUUuuuuuute | 293 points
15. Gorillaz - New Gold (feat. Tame Impala and Bootie Brown) | 288 points (peak: #1)
16. ROSALÍA - SAOKO | 288 points (peak: #4)
17. The Weeknd - Less Than Zero | 285 points
18. Wet Leg - Angelica | 281 points
19. Working Men's Club - Rapture | 280 points
20. Young Fathers - I Saw | 275 points

21. My Chemical Romance - The Foundations of Decay | 272 points
22. ROSALÍA - COMO UN G | 270 points
23. Los Bitchos - Good to Go! | 269 points
24. Tove Lo - No One Dies From Love | 265 points
25. Bicep - Water (feat. Clara La San) | 264 points
26. Trentemøller - No More Kissing In The Rain | 262 points
27. ADULT. - I Am Nothing | 255 points
28. Gretel Hänlyn - Drive | 250 points
29. Beyoncé - PURE/HONEY | 229 points
30. Gorillaz - Baby Queen | 228 points (peak: #2, weeks on chart: 9)

31. Måneskin - If I Can Dream | 228 points (peak: #2, weeks on chart: 8)
32. Boy Harsher - Machina (feat. Mariana Saldaña) | 224 points
33. Paramore - This Is Why | 223 points
34. Black Country, New Road - The Place Where He Inserted the Blade | 220 points
35. X CLUB. - Only If U (feat. Pretty Girl) | 215 points
36. The Big Moon - Wide Eyes | 211 points
37. Jon Hopkins - A Gathering Of The Tribe (feat. Vylana) | 208 points (peak: #1)
38. Kendrick Lamar - Mother I Sober (feat. Beth Gibbons) | 208 points (peak: #4)
39. Daniel Avery - Only (feat. Jonnine) | 202 points
40. ROSALÍA - DESPECHÁ | 201 points

41. Röyksopp - How The Flowers Grow (feat. Pixx) | 199 points
42. Sega Bodega - Kepko | 198 points
43. Nova Twins - Antagonist | 197 points
44. Röyksopp - Me&Youphoria | 194 points (peak: #2)
45. Lights & Motion - The World I Remember | 194 points (peak: #3)
46. Weyes Blood - God Turn Me Into a Flower | 192 points
47. Beyoncé - ALL UP IN YOUR MIND | 188 points
48. Mitski - There’s Nothing Left for You | 187 points
49. piri & Tommy Villiers - beachin (Skream Remix) | 186 points (peak: #2)
50. Tove Lo - Pineapple Slice (with SG Lewis) | 186 points (peak: #4)

51. Röyksopp - Like An Old Dog (feat. Pixx) | 185 points
52. o0o - Wedbecutetoget-her | 184 points
53. Acid Fader - Keelhauling | 181 points (peak: #1)
54. Sam Fender - Seventeen Going Under | 181 points (peak: #2)
55. Oscillian - Ulysses 31 | 181 points (peak: #3)
56. Men I Trust - Billie Toppy | 180 points
57. La Femme - Lâcher de chevaux | 179 points
58. ROSALÍA - DELIRIO DE GRANDEZA | 178 points
59. Everything Everything - HEX | 175 points
60. Mareux - The Perfect Girl | 173 points

61. Kuedo - Infinite Window | 170 points (peak: #3)
62. Kendrick Lamar - United In Grief | 170 points (peak: #5)
63. SCALPING - Remain in Statis (feat. Grove) | 166 points
64. Bowery Electric - Freedom Fighter | 165 points
65. Daniel Avery - I Would If I Could | 161 points
66. Elisa - O Forse Sei Tu | 159 points
67. Working Men’s Club - Circumference | 158 points
68. Jacob Banks - Just When I Thought | 157 points
69. Panther Modern - Creep | 154 points (peak: #3)
70. Working Men’s Club - Cut | 154 points (peak: #9)

71. FLO - Immature | 152 points
72. Dave - In the Fire | 151 points
73. Paola & Chiara - Vamos a bailar (Esta vida nueva) | 150 points
74. Taylor Swift - All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version) | 149 points (peak: #1)
75. Kendrick Lamar - Mr. Morale (feat. Tanna Leone) | 149 points (peak: #7)
76. The Weeknd - Gasoline | 148 points (peak: #3, weeks on chart: 5, weeks in the top 10: 3)
77. Ed Harrison - Tachi | 148 points (peak: #3, weeks on chart: 5, weeks in the top 10: 2)
78. Tove Lo - True Romance | 147 points (peak: #5)
79. Beyoncé - CHURCH GIRL | 147 points (peak: #8)
80. She Pleasures Herself - Trust | 145 points

81. Shygirl - Come For Me | 144 points
82. Wet Leg - Wet Dream | 141 points (peak: #7)
83. House of Harm - Feel My Heart Beat | 141 points (peak: #8)
84. ROSALÍA - DIABLO | 141 points | (peak: #9)
85. Wet Leg - Chaise Longue | 139 points
86. Shygirl - Cleo | 138 points
87. UNIIQU3 - Touch (Leonce Remix) | 137 points (peak: #5)
88. Romy & Fred again.. - Strong | 137 points (peak: #8)
89. Working Men’s Club - Ploys | 136 points (peak: #8)
90. Christine and the Queens - Je te vois enfin | 136 points (peak: #9)

91. Ed Harrison - Dive | 135 points (peak: #6)
92. Taylor Swift - Carolina | 135 points (peak: #7)
93. Sky Ferreira - Don’t Forget | 134 points (peak: #8, weeks on chart: 6)
94. Kendrick Lamar - Auntie Diaries | 134 points (peak: #8, weeks on chart: 5)
95. Overmono - Gunk | 131 points
96. TR/ST - The Shore | 128 points
97. Alvan & Ahez - Fulenn | 127 points (peak: #6)
98. Denzel Curry - Zatoichi (feat. slowthai) | 127 points (peak: #10)
99. Kælan Mikla - Óskasteinar | 126 points (peak: #2)
100. Kai Whiston - Carrier Signal (with EDEN) | 126 points (peak: #5)

Sorry for taking so long to complete this drama.gif got there in the end! Thank you to anyone who followed along heart.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post 26th June 2023, 05:53 AM
Post #103
Group icon
stick my flag in the dirt, watch it blow
User: 8,300

Congrats on managing to see out this thread and commit to the very detailed commentaries on every song, has been a great read! Apols for me not getting around to commenting on the 11-20 section.

With me following your chart pretty closely and knowing this was a points system based chart the #1 here was of course pretty obvious from the beginning kink.gif but putting it in perspective that's quite insane that it ended up with nearly twice the points the #2 got! And I was not so well aware of just how much more dominant 'CANDY' was than the third biggest song of the year, wow ohmy.gif It is a good top 2 and excellent to see 'Fear Fear' and 'MOTOMAMI' having a track each in the top 2 of the songs countdown as well as dominating the albums countdown, even if these are not quite the songs I'd have chosen myself to represent them - I found 'CANDY' just a tiny bit on the underwhelming side on first listen as I went into it knowing about the Burial interpolation and conditioned myself to expect it to actually have more of a Burial vibe to it overall rather than just borrowing the melody on a reggaetón song, which is still a sound I'd love to hear ROSALÍA experiment with, but after getting over that it did grow on me quite a bit, it's just a testament to the strength of the rest of the album that I'd still consider it to be one of the weaker songs on there! There is of course one song in the top 3 that I do stan just as much as you though with 'Doomscroller' being a rare song that stunned me so much on first listen that I immediately felt compelled to start a BuzzJack thread for it when noticing it didn't have one yet (well, for the album, but mainly to rave about that song x), and really happy that it cultivated a bit of a cult following on the site, an absolute epic. wub.gif

It's a shame that 'Brividi' ended up being a little soured by the less than optimal performance on the final stage (although it still did really well in the televote anyway so I guess the quality of the song at its core still shone through, either that or there are a ton of people who will vote for Italy no matter what kink.gif), but I did check it out a while before the contest due to you charting it early and it's still one of my faves from Eurovision 2022 anyway, definitely like it a lot more than 'Soldi'. And speaking of Italian Eurovision impact, nice that Måneskin did get something into the top 10 here, I do think the first couple of singles from 'RUSH!' have not aged amazingly well (though 'SUPERMODEL' has held up better than 'MAMMAMIA' for me at least - I'm actually not sure I ever noticed the 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' comparison but I can immediately picture it in my head now you pointed it out!) but I ended up enjoying the album a little more overall than I was expecting considering the not too great online reception, there are plenty of genuinely really good songs on there and then there's 'BLA BLA BLA'...

I've still not listened to as much from Gabe Gurnsey as I ought to but 'Push' is definitely a good tune, I'll try and be more attentive to his next era. 'Oh, Lover' is a great choice to be the highest Röyksopp track, think it is my fave of their collabs with Susanne to date heart.gif ofc great to see Vandal Moon landing one in the top 10 (and nearly 2) as well, really can't go wrong with any song choice from that album and still very pleased that you did enjoy it as much as I hoped you might when I first recommended it to you + that appreciation keeping up with their latest release doing well in your chart as well! 'Anti-Hero' didn't ever quite click with me as much as I wanted it to but still a solid single from her and easy to see why it was so popular, and it was cool that it did eventually keep up her streak of albums producing a #1 hit in your chart. And 'The Only Heartbreaker' was the song that convinced me Mitski can be worthy of the hype she gets after a while of not really getting her, it's still pretty comfortably my favourite song from her but a few other good ones on the album as well, nice that that has finished so highly here despite being a 2021 holdover!

To quickly belatedly touch on the 11-20 section, my faves are - to the surprise of no one - the two ROSALÍA songs plus 'Less Than Zero', 'SAOKO' is such an impressive song packing so many addictive elements into it so managing to feel so satisfying despite its short runtime (I maybe still wouldn't mind an extended version existing but it feels perfect as it is anyway) and 'CUUUUuuuuuute' really nails being all over the place but still cohesive anyway, kind of a microcosm of the entire album really. And the successes of 'Die For You' and 'Cruel Summer' certainly keep the dream alive that 'Less Than Zero' might get its moment one of these days, you know you want to Abel, maybe it'll redeem you after the panning The Idol has got teresa.gif 'I Saw' is also fantastic and one of the highlights from what is my current 2023 AOTY (albeit I've fallen so far behind with releases that that no longer feels so definitive ph34r.gif will start binging through the albums I need to catch up with one of these days), the part you used in your chart recaps is such a euphoric moment. Plenty of other good picks in that section too, the highest ranked song here that isn't also on my shuffle playlist is 'Rapture' with that being the one song from the WMC album that just didn't quite click with me for whatever reason, maybe I need to give it another chance one of these days.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 26th June 2023, 05:29 PM
Post #104
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

hi.gif Congrats on finishing only just over halfway after the end of the year kink.gif and for the great commentaries. I have been following and reading, although I found I wasn't really recognising a lot of these ohmy.gif I can only assume I would enjoy most but I'm too lazy to check out and that's my bad, but I did recognise a fair few more towards the end so can comment now x

Quite the landslide winner, but very well deserved. I only heard it a few times but the dark, Depeche Mode-esque sound was wonderful. Doomscroller was a stunning moment beyond anything I expected from the band with a great shifting mood and tempo that I think nicely reflected the different angles and feelings you can come at the gloomy feel of the news today. The Only Heartbreaker I was a bit late too and still haven't explored this artist as much as I'd like, but it's a really great, building synthpop track.

Some other picks:

Beyoncé - BREAK MY SOUL (Fantastic album, this one took a few listens to click, but it was a wonderful summer anthem)
Ghost - Mary On A Cross (I do much prefer Square Hammer which this reminded me to revisit, but this getting top 40 was a wonderful moment *.)
Gorillaz - New Gold (feat. Tame Impala and Bootie Brown) (Their best in such a long time for me, love the chorus wub.gif)
Wet Leg - Angelica (Pleased to see this and Chaise Longue (how long was I misspelling that :')) here, I was really won over by their quirkiness)
My Chemical Romance - The Foundations of Decay (another wonderful surprise for a top 40 hit!)
Weyes Blood - God Turn Me Into a Flower (Listened to this album recently (so I may have missed it when you covered it here!) and it's gorgeous <3 I need to check out Titanic Rising as well)

+ some great BJSC picks obvs x

I haven't heard the Daniel Avery songs here, but I loved Higher and Wall of Sleep last year and On & On with Confidence Man this year so I need to check out that album. ROSALIA too, that's a bit of a blind spot. Never heard of Vandal Moon, I guess I'm missing out judging by the praise in here? thinking.gif

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 26th June 2023, 08:12 PM
Post #105
Group icon
we'll find a way
User: 38,591

Top 100 complete! cheer.gif I was tempted to post what I thought might be in the top 10 - I'd have correctly predicted Widow and (in some order) Doomscroller, Anti-Hero, The Only Heartbreaker, SUPERMODEL, plus Oh Lover if I'd remembered you said there were three Röyksopp songs to come before two came up. A great top 10 anyway. Anti-Hero as it has a lot more depth to it than the post-Folklore/Evermore pop comeback tag suggested, I've also charted Oh Lover this year Stay Awhile brought them back onto my radar. However my favourite of these ten, after picking up on it about a year ago, is The Only Heartbreaker with that gorgeous synth pop chorus and instrumental build towards the end.

For that top 3, Doomscroller is certainly a journey that hits the heights with the pulsing "don't give up yet, don't give up now" section, although since this thread began, I've gone on to prefer another Metric song from the same album, so you can expect to see False Dichotomy riding high in an equivalent chart of mine for 2023. I had to give CANDY another play and it's fine, although of the ROSALÍA songs in your top 20, I think I like SAOKO the most. However there was no mistaking the song that would be at number 1 here, and it's well-deserved - as I mentioned earlier in the thread it's become my favourite from the Working Men's Club album, channelling those Depeche Mode and New Order influences with their dark but vital delivery. This has been a very engaging read, thank you Jade for committing to write in detail about the songs all the way through!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 1st July 2023, 08:39 AM
Post #106
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Well done on getting this done! smile.gif So many incomplete threads Ive started....!

Ive been aware our current music tastes have been diverging for the last few years, well now I have an official stat for it - 7%! laugh.gif 7 tracks that I also charted, and only 2 that would be year-end top 100 for me: Anti Hero and 17 Going Under, oops! Granted most of your chart Ive never heard so thats not really a reliable stat as I generally quite like Maneskin, Royksopp and Rosalia even if I I tend not to buy them lately. dance.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 24th September 2023, 11:43 AM
Post #107
Group icon

Sorry for taking so long to reply to these comments! Ready to sit down and do that today happy.gif

QUOTE(Brer @ Jun 26 2023, 06:53 AM) *
Congrats on managing to see out this thread and commit to the very detailed commentaries on every song, has been a great read! Apols for me not getting around to commenting on the 11-20 section.

With me following your chart pretty closely and knowing this was a points system based chart the #1 here was of course pretty obvious from the beginning kink.gif but putting it in perspective that's quite insane that it ended up with nearly twice the points the #2 got! And I was not so well aware of just how much more dominant 'CANDY' was than the third biggest song of the year, wow ohmy.gif It is a good top 2 and excellent to see 'Fear Fear' and 'MOTOMAMI' having a track each in the top 2 of the songs countdown as well as dominating the albums countdown, even if these are not quite the songs I'd have chosen myself to represent them - I found 'CANDY' just a tiny bit on the underwhelming side on first listen as I went into it knowing about the Burial interpolation and conditioned myself to expect it to actually have more of a Burial vibe to it overall rather than just borrowing the melody on a reggaetón song, which is still a sound I'd love to hear ROSALÍA experiment with, but after getting over that it did grow on me quite a bit, it's just a testament to the strength of the rest of the album that I'd still consider it to be one of the weaker songs on there! There is of course one song in the top 3 that I do stan just as much as you though with 'Doomscroller' being a rare song that stunned me so much on first listen that I immediately felt compelled to start a BuzzJack thread for it when noticing it didn't have one yet (well, for the album, but mainly to rave about that song x), and really happy that it cultivated a bit of a cult following on the site, an absolute epic. wub.gif

It's a shame that 'Brividi' ended up being a little soured by the less than optimal performance on the final stage (although it still did really well in the televote anyway so I guess the quality of the song at its core still shone through, either that or there are a ton of people who will vote for Italy no matter what kink.gif), but I did check it out a while before the contest due to you charting it early and it's still one of my faves from Eurovision 2022 anyway, definitely like it a lot more than 'Soldi'. And speaking of Italian Eurovision impact, nice that Måneskin did get something into the top 10 here, I do think the first couple of singles from 'RUSH!' have not aged amazingly well (though 'SUPERMODEL' has held up better than 'MAMMAMIA' for me at least - I'm actually not sure I ever noticed the 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' comparison but I can immediately picture it in my head now you pointed it out!) but I ended up enjoying the album a little more overall than I was expecting considering the not too great online reception, there are plenty of genuinely really good songs on there and then there's 'BLA BLA BLA'...

I've still not listened to as much from Gabe Gurnsey as I ought to but 'Push' is definitely a good tune, I'll try and be more attentive to his next era. 'Oh, Lover' is a great choice to be the highest Röyksopp track, think it is my fave of their collabs with Susanne to date heart.gif ofc great to see Vandal Moon landing one in the top 10 (and nearly 2) as well, really can't go wrong with any song choice from that album and still very pleased that you did enjoy it as much as I hoped you might when I first recommended it to you + that appreciation keeping up with their latest release doing well in your chart as well! 'Anti-Hero' didn't ever quite click with me as much as I wanted it to but still a solid single from her and easy to see why it was so popular, and it was cool that it did eventually keep up her streak of albums producing a #1 hit in your chart. And 'The Only Heartbreaker' was the song that convinced me Mitski can be worthy of the hype she gets after a while of not really getting her, it's still pretty comfortably my favourite song from her but a few other good ones on the album as well, nice that that has finished so highly here despite being a 2021 holdover!

To quickly belatedly touch on the 11-20 section, my faves are - to the surprise of no one - the two ROSALÍA songs plus 'Less Than Zero', 'SAOKO' is such an impressive song packing so many addictive elements into it so managing to feel so satisfying despite its short runtime (I maybe still wouldn't mind an extended version existing but it feels perfect as it is anyway) and 'CUUUUuuuuuute' really nails being all over the place but still cohesive anyway, kind of a microcosm of the entire album really. And the successes of 'Die For You' and 'Cruel Summer' certainly keep the dream alive that 'Less Than Zero' might get its moment one of these days, you know you want to Abel, maybe it'll redeem you after the panning The Idol has got teresa.gif 'I Saw' is also fantastic and one of the highlights from what is my current 2023 AOTY (albeit I've fallen so far behind with releases that that no longer feels so definitive ph34r.gif will start binging through the albums I need to catch up with one of these days), the part you used in your chart recaps is such a euphoric moment. Plenty of other good picks in that section too, the highest ranked song here that isn't also on my shuffle playlist is 'Rapture' with that being the one song from the WMC album that just didn't quite click with me for whatever reason, maybe I need to give it another chance one of these days.

cheer.gif thanks Brerrrr, really glad that you enjoyed following my EOY. I like to let my thoughts run about every song even if it makes the process a lot more time consuming. But hey, completed it in the end and if people enjoy reading all the words then that makes it all the better.

Ha, yes, 'Widow's position here was incredibly predictable after all its weeks spent at #1 in my personal chart and longevity past that. But even I was a bit shocked about how much it crushed 'CANDY' when crunching the numbers! I do remember hearing the clip for 'CANDY' a lot when creating the recap videos weekly, that really stuck with me after initially giving the also amazing 'CUUUUuuuuuute' a lot of my attention at first. We shall see if I have such a dominant #1 next time as my chart has seen quite a lot of songs hanging around for a while from the likes of Heartworms, Temples, Lana Del Rey, Peggy Gou etc. off the top of my head. I can see why the news of a Burial sample may have painted a different picture of what 'CANDY' might sound like initially. Well, I highly recommend 'Fall Back' from James Blake's latest album as that really does have an obvious Burial sound to it. 'Doomscroller' was such a moment of last year, made me happy to see somebody discovering and subsequently loving it in the ROTD final thread just this week, still winning people over a year on happy.gif

I felt so invested in 'Brividi' going into Eurovision, after following the entirety of Sanremo and BLANCO being an artist I'd sent to BJFestivalen in the past, but yeah it really wasn't their best performance on the night of the final oops cry.gif as you say, Italy can't really do wrong in the contest these days nevertheless and continue that hot streak even into this year. Glad it was a good discovery for you! I remember thinking of the 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' comparison for 'SUPERMODEL' when a teaser of the instrumental came out, probably helped that I had a massive Nirvana phase earlier in the year though laugh.gif I do get why RUSH! attracted some of the negative attention it has (the lyrics of stuff like 'BLA BLA BLA' and 'KOOL KIDS' leave a lot to be desired, although can appreciate the IDLES moodboard of the latter sonically) - but nevertheless, they are an absolute force live - had such a good time seeing them with a mix of old and new stuff!

Can't wait for new material from Gabe Gurnsey whenever that may be! Diablo is an awesome album, I have Dandy* to thank for motivating me to check it out after being intrigued by the fact that it was #1 in his album chart, on top of loving 'Push' anyway and already checking out 'Higher Estates' too. Vandal Moon were a revelation for me last year, so cool to see them popping up in BJSC this month, they've certainly continued the great material post-Queen of the Night, hope 'Heroine Dancer' may inspire others to check out more from them as they can't really put a foot wrong for me so far :') shame 'Anti-Hero' didn't end up being much of a favourite for you as I think it's quite a timeless sounding synth-pop song with hard-hitting lyrics, illustrated well by the video, but at least we can agree on dislike for the follow-up, 'Karma' kink.gif facts. 'The Only Heartbreaker' is still my favourite Mitski song too wub.gif although I think her new album is better than Laurel Hell, really need to listen to previous projects as I only know individual songs here and there, I know dhwe said he thought I'd enjoy more of her older stuff too. So cool that she has a U.K. Top 75 hit now!

Totally agree that 'SAOKO' absolutely nails how to do a sub-3 minute run-time, what a whirlwind! It somehow has time for a jazzy breakdown. 'Less Than Zero' feels like a crazy missed opportunity, further cemented by its success in PFSC and especially ROTD now, c'mon Abel - give the world a great song and we can gloss over The Idol indeed tongue.gif not that I've seen it but everything I've heard about it, against my will, looks awful lmao. I need to catch up on the Mercury Prize ceremony (I've been especially awful with procrastinating at the moment) but I hear that Young Fathers performed 'I Saw' there, very happy that it has had more exposure via that <3 I hope you may one day have a moment with 'Rapture' tongue.gif

thank you for commenting <3

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Jun 26 2023, 06:29 PM) *
hi.gif Congrats on finishing only just over halfway after the end of the year kink.gif and for the great commentaries. I have been following and reading, although I found I wasn't really recognising a lot of these ohmy.gif I can only assume I would enjoy most but I'm too lazy to check out and that's my bad, but I did recognise a fair few more towards the end so can comment now x

Quite the landslide winner, but very well deserved. I only heard it a few times but the dark, Depeche Mode-esque sound was wonderful. Doomscroller was a stunning moment beyond anything I expected from the band with a great shifting mood and tempo that I think nicely reflected the different angles and feelings you can come at the gloomy feel of the news today. The Only Heartbreaker I was a bit late too and still haven't explored this artist as much as I'd like, but it's a really great, building synthpop track.

Some other picks:

Beyoncé - BREAK MY SOUL (Fantastic album, this one took a few listens to click, but it was a wonderful summer anthem)
Ghost - Mary On A Cross (I do much prefer Square Hammer which this reminded me to revisit, but this getting top 40 was a wonderful moment *.)
Gorillaz - New Gold (feat. Tame Impala and Bootie Brown) (Their best in such a long time for me, love the chorus wub.gif)
Wet Leg - Angelica (Pleased to see this and Chaise Longue (how long was I misspelling that :')) here, I was really won over by their quirkiness)
My Chemical Romance - The Foundations of Decay (another wonderful surprise for a top 40 hit!)
Weyes Blood - God Turn Me Into a Flower (Listened to this album recently (so I may have missed it when you covered it here!) and it's gorgeous <3 I need to check out Titanic Rising as well)

+ some great BJSC picks obvs x

I haven't heard the Daniel Avery songs here, but I loved Higher and Wall of Sleep last year and On & On with Confidence Man this year so I need to check out that album. ROSALIA too, that's a bit of a blind spot. Never heard of Vandal Moon, I guess I'm missing out judging by the praise in here? thinking.gif

kink.gif oooops I really must be more efficient next time as EOY season feels very much done and dusted on here post-January (understandably) but I'm glad some of you did stick around until the very end <3 we do seem to have a lot of musical crossover in general so hopefully you would make some good discoveries here 🙏 yay that you were recognising more by the end at least!

wub.gif was happy to read about how much you enjoyed 'Widow' too in your own EOY, my obsession with that song last year was quite something lmao. A Depeche Mode mood-board will always appeal to me, I see The Killers have gone down that route with their latest single too (well maybe a bit more New Order/Pet Shop Boys, with some Daft Punk/Julian Casablancas vocal effects too tongue.gif) ~ I did enjoy the Metric entries in BJSC but yeah, 'Doomscroller' was another level, that first listen was quite the experience and it stuns me just as much subsequently. I would highly recommend Mitski's new album, the lyrics were really hard-hitting for me and I think the execution throughout is cinematic, sounds like it's going to soundtrack Autumn/Winter really well.

I remember 'BREAK MY SOUL' taking a few listens to click with me as well until it came on during a walk on a hot day, then bam, soundtracked that weather just wonderfully. I can't say I ever saw a Ghost top 40 coming but so here for it, 'Square Hammer' was indeed a BJSC gem <3 I need to check out more from them really. Agreed with you that 'New Gold' is the best Gorillaz song in a while even if they have still been consistently good anyway, a dreamy chorus for sure. Lmao at the 'Chaise Longue' mispelling, well, there you go kink.gif I'm so glad my colleague recommended 'Angelica' to me, that and 'Chaise Longue' are both pick-me-ups. 'The Foundations Of Decay' being so good has really made me hungry for more, MCR where are you it's been over a year now :'( Happy that you checked out the Weyes Blood album, it is stunning <3 'God Turn Me Into a Flower' really blew me away. I see she's still keeping the era alive with 'Hearts Aglow' and 'Twin Flame' getting videos very recently.

Yes yes yes please check out the Daniel Avery and ROSALÍA albums <3 the fact you already like material from the former album is a good sign off the bat, then MOTOMAMI is so off-the-wall with all its genre-hopping. Vandal Moon were in Unknown Pleasures before (I think we ended up having this conversation on SyncTube at some point laugh.gif), but yeah, nice to see them in BJSC now too! Was happy to see 'Heroine Dancer' going down well at the listening session, including from yourself happy.gif

QUOTE(jimwatts @ Jun 26 2023, 09:12 PM) *
Top 100 complete! cheer.gif I was tempted to post what I thought might be in the top 10 - I'd have correctly predicted Widow and (in some order) Doomscroller, Anti-Hero, The Only Heartbreaker, SUPERMODEL, plus Oh Lover if I'd remembered you said there were three Röyksopp songs to come before two came up. A great top 10 anyway. Anti-Hero as it has a lot more depth to it than the post-Folklore/Evermore pop comeback tag suggested, I've also charted Oh Lover this year Stay Awhile brought them back onto my radar. However my favourite of these ten, after picking up on it about a year ago, is The Only Heartbreaker with that gorgeous synth pop chorus and instrumental build towards the end.

For that top 3, Doomscroller is certainly a journey that hits the heights with the pulsing "don't give up yet, don't give up now" section, although since this thread began, I've gone on to prefer another Metric song from the same album, so you can expect to see False Dichotomy riding high in an equivalent chart of mine for 2023. I had to give CANDY another play and it's fine, although of the ROSALÍA songs in your top 20, I think I like SAOKO the most. However there was no mistaking the song that would be at number 1 here, and it's well-deserved - as I mentioned earlier in the thread it's become my favourite from the Working Men's Club album, channelling those Depeche Mode and New Order influences with their dark but vital delivery. This has been a very engaging read, thank you Jade for committing to write in detail about the songs all the way through!

Glad you enjoyed the top 10 selection here happy.gif and predicted them well too! Yeah, I really wasn't sure what to expect in a post-folklore/evermore world either, but she really nailed 'Anti-Hero' and has been even more of a stratospheric force since! So excited to see her next year. Happy that you got into 'Oh, Lover' as well after being a fan of 'Stay Awhile', was cool to have them both in ROTD this year. 'The Only Heartbreaker' is a fab favourite, it was a bit of a slow burner for me somehow (after instantly taking to 'Working For The Knife') but then it suddenly hit me so hard, an essential now.

Yep 'Doomscroller' and all of its 10 minute glory can certainly be described as a journey, one that is worth it every time *.* 'False Dichotomy' is a good'un too, probably my second favourite on the album. Those two, 'All Comes Crashing', 'Paths in the Sky' and 'I Will Never Settle' all made my weekly top 40. Ha, maybe in a bit of a minority then with Bré also preferring 'SAOKO', but that is of course amazing and really started to make me feel excited for this era after not being massively impressed by 'LA FAMA'. Hooray for the mutual snap favourite on Fear Fear, though! 'Widow' is definitely challenging 'Physical' as my favourite song from the 2020s so far, what can I say, I'm a sucker for an 80s inspired synth whether for dark effect like 'Widow' or as fun as 'Physical'. Thank you for the kind words, these comments are so lovely 🥰

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Jul 1 2023, 09:39 AM) *
Well done on getting this done! smile.gif So many incomplete threads Ive started....!

Ive been aware our current music tastes have been diverging for the last few years, well now I have an official stat for it - 7%! laugh.gif 7 tracks that I also charted, and only 2 that would be year-end top 100 for me: Anti Hero and 17 Going Under, oops! Granted most of your chart Ive never heard so thats not really a reliable stat as I generally quite like Maneskin, Royksopp and Rosalia even if I I tend not to buy them lately. dance.gif

Thanks John!! That makes me feel better when I'm well aware I have the outstanding favourite top 40 hits from 1997 onwards thread too kink.gif (the time I used to put aside for that has been engulfed with studying a lot this year but that should finally be winding down yay, looking forward to writing more again)

Oh wow laugh.gif I guess my taste has become a lot more alternative/electronic, although, this year I have still found plenty to like in the top 40. Billie, Miley, Olivia, Peggy Gou, Calvin Harris, RAYE, Taylor Swift, this year's Eurovision crop etc. have provided some good tunes, just off the top of my head. Well, I'm glad you liked 'Anti-Hero' and 'Seventeen Going Under' a lot too happy.gif looking forward to Sam's next era whenever that may be.

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 8th June 2024, 11:04 PM