BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Mogwai “Ritchie Sacramento”, 10th album 'As the Love Continues' out now
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Doctor Blind
post 20th February 2021, 12:10 PM
Post #1
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

wub.gif

Not been hugely fussed on that much they've released recently but “Ritchie Sacramento” is really growing on me. Lovely soaring chorus and this live version is beautiful! Hope the album is just as good.

The title came from a misunderstanding a friend of ours had about how to say Ryuchi Sakamoto. The lyrics were inspired by a story Bob Nastanovich shared about his friend and bandmate David Berman who proclaimed ‘Rise Crystal Spear’ as he threw a shovel at a sports car. The song is dedicated to all the musician friends we’ve lost over the years.”
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 23rd February 2021, 08:08 PM
Post #2
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771
Hoping it can stay at #1!

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 24th February 2021, 11:37 AM
Post #3
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel
User: 118
I think Ritchie Sacarmento is comfortably my favourite song released this year and I love that performance wub.gif I've really liked a couple of their singles from recent projects but I'm not too fussed on them overall, gave a listen to the new album and it's fine but I've never really been interested in listening to that much instrumental post-rock!

This post has been edited by RabbitFurCoat: 24th February 2021, 11:38 AM

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 27th February 2021, 03:44 PM
Post #4
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
Yeah you definitely have to be in the mood for it.

I first heard of them in about 2002 when a remixed version of one of their epic tunes “Summer (Priority Version)” was used as the theme to a (now forgotten) series on UK Play called RE:Brand starring Russell Brand (remember him!) Anyway it was perfect to soundtrack my angsty teenage years.

So I'm very happy that they made #1 in the end, even though I don't quite share the same enthusiasm for the band as I had back then. I thought this was a nice touch too from Ghetts:

Channelling his inner mack25 !!

+Quote this post
Brer
post 27th February 2021, 11:38 PM
Post #5
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300
Ghetts tweeting about Mogwai is some alternate universe stuff.

I'm not familiar with a lot of Mogwai's stuff - I loved 'Death Is The Road To Awe' with Clint Mansell & Kronos Quartet which popped up in a BJSC spinoff a few years ago though, and I thought 'Dry Fantasy' and 'Ritchie Sacramento' were pretty decent too (the former moreso iirc), should probably check out more from them as instrumental post-rock is normally very much up my alley! It's really refreshing to have something so different hitting #1, and a long time coming for them too.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 9th March 2021, 06:02 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Just had a listen to this album as I have been really getting into the third single 'Pat Stains' and I'm very impressed - honestly the first 2 singles are both among the weaker tracks on the album imo, my biggest standouts from the album tracks on first listen are 'Midnight Flit', 'To The Bin My Friend, Tonight We Vacate Earth' and 'Drive The Nail' wub.gif 'Fuck Off Money' and 'Ceiling Granny' also standing out as providing a bit of appreciated variety ~

I need to call Chez Wombat's attention to this (especially 'Pat Stains' and 'Midnight Flit' which I think would both sound very much at home being Terra Avium BJSC entries (well actually a lot of this album would but those two in particular xx)).

(this thread should probably be renamed to be about the whole album)

+Quote this post
Brer
post 30th October 2021, 06:06 PM
Post #7
Group icon
For anyone who it may interest, they've dropped a little EP with a few remixes of songs from this album:

My fave of these is definitely the 'Other Two' (New Order's Stephen Morris and Gillian Gilbert) remix of 'Ritchie Sacramento', I never much got into the original of that as a single but enjoying this remix a lot more! IDLES and Alessandro Cortini (of Nine Inch Nails) contributing the other two remixes, both also good although I'll probably be sticking to the originals of those two.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 01:09 PM