BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mi Gente (Remix), J Balvin & Beyonce ft. Willy William | Out Now
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
UltraCruelSummer
post Sep 29 2017, 01:18 AM
Post #1
It's a cruel summer.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

On spotify!!! this has come out of nowhere ohmy.gif

She's also donating her proceeds from this song to hurricane relief charities for Puerto Rico, Mexico and the other affected Caribbean islands. (To help go to Beyonce.com/reliefefforts.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Sep 29 2017, 01:25 AM
Post #2
The Lady Said Go Home!
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 20,835

ohmy.gif!!

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Sep 29 2017, 05:35 AM
Post #3
c:
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,692

I don't even have any Wi-Fi to listen to this at the moment but WHY this of all songs? Such a racket and I can't imagine a different vocalist making it much more tolerable (even if it is Beyoncé!). Can't believe she's chosen to do a remix of this, a Beyoncé remix of Reggaeton Lento or Despacito would've been amazing laugh.gif

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Sep 29 2017, 09:21 AM
Post #4
The Lady Said Go Home!

Beyonce doesn't add much to the original imo but it's nice to get new life for it.

+Quote Post
Theonix
post Sep 29 2017, 10:25 AM
Post #5
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
Member No.: 8,661

Omg I just lost my shit to this !!! I'm not that fussed on the original but Beyoncé BRINGS it! Love it! heart.gif

This post has been edited by THEO.: Sep 29 2017, 10:26 AM

+Quote Post
Theonix
post Sep 29 2017, 01:50 PM
Post #6

Coming for #1 on US iTunes/top 10 on UK iTunes *.* Truly slaying the game!

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Sep 29 2017, 02:49 PM
Post #7
Brown cow, stunning!
Member No.: 10,139

I agree Bey doesn't really add much to it but I love the song anyway tbh so a new spritz with her added is fine by me *.*

+Quote Post
SGrey
post Sep 30 2017, 10:17 AM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 20,182

Doing really well on iTunes! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Sep 30 2017, 11:52 AM
Post #9
c:
Member No.: 20,692

I've heard this now and it's not very good as expected. Probably in the worst five songs of her career, I just can't get over how noisy and annoying it is and even her addition doesn't make it much better.

It just seems like an odd choice to be singing on this too. I know the money made is going to charity but I don't really get why the (arguably) biggest popstar on the planet is making the same career decisions as Little Mix & Matt Terry laugh.gif

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Sep 30 2017, 11:57 AM
Post #10
The Lady Said Go Home!

QUOTE(Josh! @ Sep 30 2017, 12:52 PM) *
I've heard this now and it's not very good as expected. Probably in the worst five songs of her career, I just can't get over how noisy and annoying it is and even her addition doesn't make it much better.

It just seems like an odd choice to be singing on this too. I know the money made is going to charity but I don't really get why the (arguably) biggest popstar on the planet is making the same career decisions as Little Mix & Matt Terry laugh.gif

Well it is for charity so I personally don't see it as trend-hopping at all.

+Quote Post
Theonix
post Sep 30 2017, 03:39 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(HarryEzra @ Sep 30 2017, 12:57 PM) *
Well it is for charity so I personally don't see it as trend-hopping at all.

Exactly. Plus the "Subeme la Radio" and "Reggaeton Lento" edits will have made zero impact in the US/Beyoncé's life, she will only be familiar with the "Despacito" remix.

+Quote Post
Theonix
post Oct 2 2017, 02:02 PM
Post #12

This is on track to chart in the top ten on the Hot 100 next week for the first time thanks to Bey biggrin.gif

Billboard have posted an interesting article about how Beyoncé came to be featured on it, dating back to its release in April:

Here's How Beyonce Joined J Balvin & Willy William's 'Mi Gente'

The track had already become the first all-Spanish language song to hit No. 1 on Spotify's Global Top 50 chart. Now it's taking on a new life, thanks in part to a certain 5-year-old tastemaker.

On Thursday evening, Beyonce shared a 20 second video on Instagram announcing she had joined a remix of J Balvin and Willy William's hit "Mi Gente" and would donate all her proceeds to disaster relief charities for Puerto Rico, Mexico and the other recently affected Caribbean islands.

Following in the footsteps of Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee's record-breaking success with the Justin Bieber-featuring "Despacito" remix, Beyonce's good news with a good cause marked a big moment for Latin music in the mainstream. With Queen Bey singing in both Spanish and English on the track, it and its star-studded music video racked up millions of streams in its first 24 hours, topping iTunes' sales chart and YouTube's trend ranking, and looks prime to hit the Hot 100 top 10.

A remake of an original song by French DJ Willy William, "Mi Gente" had the makings of a global hit when it was first released in April and immediately sparked talk of a general market remix. "But we wanted it to live for a while and get as big as it could on a global scale in Spanish," says Rebeca Leon, who co-manages Balvin with Balvin's label, Universal Music Latin Entertainment (UMLE).

The "lofty goal," says UMLE president Victor Gonzalez, "was to make it No. 1 on Spotify at a global level."

After trailing "Despacito" (also released via UMLE) for that top Spotify spot, on Aug. 1 "Mi Gente" hit its mark and usurped the mega-hit, becoming the first-ever all-Spanish language song to dominate the streaming platform's Global Top 50 chart. That would have been impressive enough, but from there the track found new life thanks to the ear of a highly influential 5-year-old tastemaker.

Balvin already had collaborated with multiple mainstream artists in different capacities, including Bieber and Pharrell Williams, and remixes with any number of names were infinitely possible. While many expressed interest, Beyonce was at the top of the list. To Balvin and his team's surprise, when asked, she said yes -- motivated in part, they learned later, by her daughter Blue (Azul in Spanish) and her love of the song.

"We reached out, never thinking they would say yes," says Leon. But within weeks Beyonce was recording the Spanish version, written by Sky, Balvin's producer, with help with from Fonsi's brother, Jean Rodriguez.

She also added lines in English, shout-outs to her native Houston and, of course, probably the most famous line of all: "Azul, are you with me?" "Oh, yes I am," answers Blue herself.

Gonzalez says the whole thing came together surprisingly easily.

"There seemed to be a script that said, 'Lets make this possible,' and we all followed it," he tells Billboard. "It wasn't a formula. It had to be legitimate for it to happen."

As the "Mi Gente" remix's release followed the aftermath of hurricanes Harvey and Maria, along with the devastating 7.1 magnitude earthquake in Mexico, Beyonce seized the moment and announced her intent to use the song to benefit charities including Cema, Unicef and Somos Una Voz.

To underscore the message, she added a line to the song: "Lift up your people, Texas, Puerto Rico, dem islands to Mexico."

"The power of the music goes beyond any language and any strategy," says Balvin. "I am beyond grateful to have the Queen B join us. It's a dream come true."

Can't believe I hadn't heard Blue's (autotuned) vocals before reading this! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Oct 2 2017, 02:39 PM
Post #13
The Lady Said Go Home!

Interesting article I had no idea about Blue's vocals in it either.

+Quote Post
Theonix
post Oct 6 2017, 09:39 AM
Post #14

Added to the Radio 1 playlist this week with Bey credited! It's also ahead of the original version on Spotify now as well as iTunes, hopefully the Official charts will slip her a cheeky credit this week 😏

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Oct 6 2017, 03:08 PM
Post #15
The Lady Said Go Home!

Pleased this has been playlisted on Radio 1!

+Quote Post
SGrey
post Oct 6 2017, 04:31 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 20,182

To think Blue is going to have hits on UK and US charts when some aspiring/breakthrough artists can't achieve neither! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Theonix
post Oct 9 2017, 04:54 PM
Post #17

Apparently this is #3 on the Hot 100 this week! That impact *.*

This post has been edited by THEO.: Oct 9 2017, 04:54 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:48 PM