BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Your favourite chart "shocks", got the whole world talkin'
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
AcerBen
post 22nd March 2015, 08:41 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429

Baha Men going 13-14-2 was a real shock for me because I was listening to the chart and couldn't work out what was still left to play, and I'd missed midweeks/CD:UK that week, and of course not many singles climbed back in 2000.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 22nd March 2015, 09:40 PM
Post #22
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

Ed Sheeran snatching Union J's floppy weaves and grabbing the official #1 biggrin.gif

My prayers were answered that day.

This post has been edited by Cody Slayberry: 22nd March 2015, 09:41 PM

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 22nd March 2015, 09:49 PM
Post #23
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

Agree with Who Let The Dogs Out. It was very unusual at the time. Was there a particular reason why it jumped 14-2 that week?

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 22nd March 2015, 09:57 PM
Post #24
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

All of the above, but I did enjoy Peter Kay as Geraldine McQueen beating Leon Jackson (who?) in October 2008 to the number 2 spot.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 22nd March 2015, 10:03 PM
Post #25
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

QUOTE(T Boy @ Mar 22 2015, 09:49 PM) *
Agree with Who Let The Dogs Out. It was very unusual at the time. Was there a particular reason why it jumped 14-2 that week?

I remember around that point everybody in my school started becoming obsessed with it (to the point where every 5 minutes you would hear somebody shout "WHO LET THE DOGS OUUUT" in a classroom, playground, corridor or anywhere) (and it was an obsession that didn't subside for months). Maybe it was a nationwide craze that took the UK by storm?

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 22nd March 2015, 10:09 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

QUOTE(mr_aly @ Mar 22 2015, 10:03 PM) *
I remember around that point everybody in my school started becoming obsessed with it (to the point where every 5 minutes you would hear somebody shout "WHO LET THE DOGS OUUUT" in a classroom, playground, corridor or anywhere) (and it was an obsession that didn't subside for months). Maybe it was a nationwide craze that took the UK by storm?

Did you got to Buzzjack High School or something?

Seriously though, I read that a Top of the Pops performance helped Baha Men to jump 14-2.

+Quote this post
paulgilb
post 22nd March 2015, 10:14 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 55

Will Young - Don't Let Me Down / You And I failing to reach #1 was a shock at the time (given that he was #1 in the midweeks and that he seemed to have the 'Midas touch'). Although it shouldn't have been a shock as Jo Whiley (who presented the Chart Show that week) had mentioned earlier that there were 2 non-movers in the chart that week (I assumed that I had missed one lower down)!

There are of course other occasions that would have been pleasant shocks if it hadn't been for the midweeks e.g. Gnarls Barkley - Crazy and Kings Of Leon - Sex On Fire both getting to #1 in their first weeks.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 22nd March 2015, 10:16 PM
Post #28
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Scooter knocking Madonna off the album chart #1 in 2008, HOW exactly did this band get a #1 album? So iconic though *.*

Steps smashing back into 2011 relevance with a shock #1 best of album.

Agnes going top three with Release Me and #1 on iTunes, I'm sure I expected low top 20 at best just before it was released.

+Quote this post
Martyn
post 22nd March 2015, 10:17 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 66

I believe it was used in Rugrats in Paris and that came out part way through. I might be wrong.

For me it was What About Us going to number 1, The Saturday's had been midweek number one several times before, but this seemed to have not much hype and although I thought it would do well, people on here seemed to think it was going to flop (although most people on here that don't like them predicted they would flop with every single and be dropped after every single.)

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 22nd March 2015, 10:17 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Nizlopi beating Westlife & Diana Ross (and then staying in the top 2 for 4 further weeks).

+Quote this post
BillyH
post 22nd March 2015, 10:21 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,614

QUOTE(T Boy @ Mar 22 2015, 09:49 PM) *

Definitely wasn't Rugrats in Paris, that wasn't released until Easter 2001 here.

That was the era of music channels, particularly The Box, having a huge impact on the charts - especially regarding international hits that wouldn't normally have got major airplay here. I'm guessing it just started getting massive airtime on the channel shortly after it charted, coupled with two Top of the Pops performances (one in its first week at #13 and again when it rose to #2) and possibly CD:UK as well. But this is just a theory - it happened with Scooter's 'The Logical Song' a couple years later which had a similar chart performance.

Astonishing to think that it only peaked at #40 in the US's Billboard Hot 100, but was a huge hit all around Europe and a massive #1 in Australia and New Zealand!

This post has been edited by BillyH: 22nd March 2015, 10:22 PM

+Quote this post
BillyH
post 22nd March 2015, 10:27 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Mar 22 2015, 10:16 PM) *
Scooter knocking Madonna off the album chart #1 in 2008, HOW exactly did this band get a #1 album? So iconic though *.*

Steps smashing back into 2011 relevance with a shock #1 best of album.

The exact two I was going to mention! Amazing, if brief, comebacks.

Scooter is my favourite surprise of the two, they sub-headlined a major Clubland Live tour with Cascada in March 2008 and the album came out a couple of months later. I remember being in the long-gone Zavvi music store in Tottenham Court Road and a group of teenage girls went nuts when they saw the album on the shelf, screaming "OMG SCOOTER" and buying it immediately!

I think it felt so brilliant at the time because they'd always had such unfair derision here despite their success, particularly in the south of the UK - they sold huge numbers in Scotland and Ireland but not as much elsewhere. It felt like we were finally rewarding them for their fourteen years of mad brilliance, I saw them live twice that year laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 22nd March 2015, 10:38 PM
Post #33
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

QUOTE(Martyn @ Mar 22 2015, 10:17 PM) *
I believe it was used in Rugrats in Paris and that came out part way through. I might be wrong.

For me it was What About Us going to number 1, The Saturday's had been midweek number one several times before, but this seemed to have not much hype and although I thought it would do well, people on here seemed to think it was going to flop (although most people on here that don't like them predicted they would flop with every single and be dropped after every single.)

I saw that coming a week or two beforehand, I definitely felt at that point like it was their best ever shot and it was widely predicted on here to happen the week before. I can't believe this was two years ago now. ohmy.gif

Speaking of Madonna, like that Will Young single it was a bit of a shock when 'American Life' was blocked from #1 after being midweek #1 all week and seeming shoo-in.

+Quote this post
paulgilb
post 22nd March 2015, 11:44 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 55

One reason that has been quoted for the Baha Men's 14-2 climb was that Woolworths did not stock the single until its 3rd week (normally if they did not stock a song in its release week they would not stock it at all, but this song was so popular they had to admit they were wrong not to stock it originally).

+Quote this post
Mangř
post 22nd March 2015, 11:46 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 151

Pink going to #1 with 'Just Like A Pill' is definitely my favourite chart shock moment - I was obsessed with that song at the time and I don't think anyone saw that coming. I don't know if it was Number 1 in the mids or not cos I didn't follow the mids at the time, but I'm sure that the week before no one was expecting it to do that well (despite the low sales climate of the time).

+Quote this post
BillyH
post 23rd March 2015, 12:00 AM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(paulgilb @ Mar 22 2015, 11:44 PM) *
One reason that has been quoted for the Baha Men's 14-2 climb was that Woolworths did not stock the single until its 3rd week (normally if they did not stock a song in its release week they would not stock it at all, but this song was so popular they had to admit they were wrong not to stock it originally).

Ah, that'll be it I think.

It's the same year Lonestar's 'Amazed' reached its peak of #21, rising five places in the same week Woolworths first stocked the single - it's ninth week on sale!

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post 23rd March 2015, 04:58 AM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 19,614

QUOTE(ˇbré! @ Mar 23 2015, 04:05 AM) *
On a similar note to Kendrick I remember being very shocked Kanye got to #1 with 'Yeezus' - it was released midweek and was not #1 on the Friday mids IIRC, so it actually actively overcame the weekend effect to get there ohmy.gif Also similar to Kendrick in that it was the follow-up to an album that is very highly regarded but didn't do much chart-wise (both 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' and 'good kid, m.A.A.d city' peaked at #16 in fact magic.gif)

Before I even saw this post I immediately thought of Yeezus going to #1 in Aus. When the chart was revealed, he lost out to a country album, but a couple days later it was recalled since that other album had some illegitimate sales counted, so Kanye got his first #1. Such is the world standard of the way our charts are compiled tongue.gif Coincidentally, Kendrick also narrowly blocked a country album this week. laugh.gif

Otherwise the thing that comes to mind for me is Gotye. Had one of my favourite songs of 2006 and then sort of went into hibernation for ages. His comeback song was a bit disappointing but then half a year later he put out that monster smash that went on to not just touch the international charts, but obliterate them, and be the biggest song of 2012 in the US AND UK. Completely, utterly blows my mind that it could have ever happened, but few deserve it more than him.

+Quote this post
Campbell
post 23rd March 2015, 09:20 AM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 10,260

For me it has to be when 'Whole Again' entered the charts at number one. I'd been following the charts for a long time and didn't see that coming at all, particularly based on Atomic Kitten's success up until that point.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 23rd March 2015, 09:46 AM
Post #39
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Oh yeah, that was a huge singles chart shock. I was expecting a No.18 debut with the band to be swiftly dropped a few days later.

I don't even know where everyone heard it exactly, I don't recall it getting that much pre-release airplay or TV play and I'm sure it wasn't promoted that much. It completely sprung out of nowhere against all odds to No.1. Even the Woolies chart had it quite low down on the first week iirc.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 03:26 PM