BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
31 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Official Chart Flashback
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 4th July 2019, 12:25 PM
Post #321
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

I hope the OCC give a sales total for 'The Real Slim Shady' on their Twitter at some point today. It was on 933k as of December 2017 so I'd say it's definitely in the millionaires club.

I quite like 'The Real Slim Shady' but I think he has better comedy songs like 'Without Me', 'Just Lose It' and 'We Made You' to name a few.

Really like 'Gotta Tell You', love 'Spinning Around' (deffo one of Kylie's best) and I unashamedly love 'Got Your Money'.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 4th July 2019, 07:42 PM
Post #322
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

Coldplay's first top 10 hit wub.gif I was obsessed with the 'Parachutes' album when it came out. Still such a brilliant record.

This post has been edited by ThePensmith: 4th July 2019, 07:43 PM

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 11th July 2019, 09:19 AM
Post #323
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/o...or__7638__7638/

There’s nothing better to get the Official Singles Chart going than a good old-fashioned summer banger, and after three years of chart success, German dance trio Cascada delivered, with a tune that not only took them in a new direction, it gave them their first Number 1.

Cascada – fronted by Natalie Horler – initially found fame with donked-up versions of songs that had already been hits for someone else. Their very first hit, Everytime We Touch, was a Number 2 hit in 2006, and was followed by three more Top 10 hits, Truly Madly Deeply, I Need A Miracle and What Hurts The Most.

By the time 2009 came around, however, music tastes had changed and tunes in the style of Cascada’s Eurodance bangers had been nudged off the radio by tunes with a poppier feel. Could it be that a certain Lady Gaga had rewritten the pop landscape?

Whatever the reason, that change in music tastes might be responsible for Cascada’s most surprising – and successful – move yet. They returned with a fresh, up-to-date sound and a track that pop fans couldn’t get enough of, winning themselves a whole new audience with unashamed party track Evacuate The Dancefloor, scoring them their first ever Number 1.

The feat was even more impressive considering the competition that week - Evacuate The Dancefloor was released shortly after the death of Michael Jackson. His music was soaring up the charts, with Man in the Mirror proving the most popular and contending for that week's top spot. The song finished just over 5,000 sales behind Cascada.

Evacuate The Dancefloor stayed at Number 1 for two weeks, but while it gave Cascada their highest peak so far, it also turned out to be their last Top 40 hit.

The track spent two weeks at the summit and has sold 587,000 copies to finish as Cascada’s biggest selling single,while its streaming tally stands at 10.3 million since records began in 2014.

Three more single releases between 2009 - 2011 charted in the lower half of the Top 100, but they failed to achieve the same level of success in the UK. Evacuate The Dancefloor turned out to be their swansong (in the UK, at least), but what a way to go.

Cascada were last seen on UK screens competing for Germany on the Eurovision Song Contest 2013. Sadly, they couldn’t recreate their chart success, finishing 21st with only 18 points awarded.

Elsewhere on the Official Singles Chart this week in 2009, X more Michael Jackson songs featured in the Top 40, including Billie Jean, Smooth Criminal, Beat It and Black or White.

London indie rock star Jamie T scored a Top 20 debut with Sticks 'n' Stones (15), the lead single from his second album Kings & Queens, and Black Eyed Peas made their Top 40 debut at 39 with future Number 1 smash I Gotta Feeling.

Take part in the Cascada vs. Michael Jackson vote!

+Quote this post
Sempachorra
post 13th July 2019, 11:35 AM
Post #324
Group icon
Let's Go Brandon
User: 421

Top40 biggest hits of Summer 99

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/t...er-1999__26735/

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 13th July 2019, 05:20 PM
Post #325
Group icon

QUOTE(Euphorique @ Jul 13 2019, 12:35 PM) *

Already a topic for that my friend: http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?s...p;#entry6269197

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 18th July 2019, 09:24 PM
Post #326
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/o...s-theme__19694/

Dreams of Number 1 last forever…”

That lyric, from Rachel Stevens’s Some Girls, neatly summarises what happened on the Official Singles Chart 15 years ago this week, when she lost out on bagging a Number 1 single.

It was possibly Rachel’s strongest bid for the top spot: her post-S Club debut single Sweet Dreams My LA Ex also peaked at 2, but Some Girls was electro-pop in a different league.

The story behind the song is as intriguing as the song itself. Produced by Richard X and songwriter Hannah Robinson, Some Girls was initially intended for Girls Aloud, before music mogul Simon Fuller (Spice Girls, Pop Idol) stepped in and asked if one of two acts he was looking after could record it: Rachel Stevens or Geri Halliwell.

When Geri found out the song went to Rachel, she locked herself in a car in protest, and the whole ordeal became the subject of a later song by Richard X and Hannah, Me Plus One by Norwegian singer Annie.

If that wasn’t bizarre enough, Some Girls – about a vacuous aspiring singer who would do anything to get ahead ("You made a promise I'd get to the top!"), delivered impeccably by Rachel’s icy vocal – was chosen as that year’s official Sport Relief charity single. The accompanying music video sees Rachel leading a group of women around who squirt men with water bottles.

Some Girls was poised for the top spot, but ultimately something bigger stood in its path. British house duo Shapeshifters were taking over clubs across the UK and Europe with Lola's Theme, an uplifting disco house number that samples the intro of Johnnie Taylor's 1982 hit What About My Love. It's unusual title was inspired by the wife of one-half of the group Simon Marlin.

Lola's Theme charged to the top that week with sales of 52,000, compared to Rachel's 43,000. It logged just one week at the top before being dethroned by The Streets' Dry Your Eyes. It's chart sales to date stand at 500,000, made up of 333,000 sales and 17.3 million streams.

As for the rest of the Top 40 this week 15 years ago, Usher’s Burn had been knocked from 1 to down to 3, and there were new entries from J-Kwon’s Tipsy (4), Jamelia’s See It In A Boy’s Eyes (5, co-written by Chris Martin!) and Morrissey’s First Of The Gang To Die (6). Eclectic.

Further down, there were also new entries from US band Counting Crows, their song for Shrek 2 Accidentally In Love was to be their last Top 40 hit, and Nelly Furtado bowed at 40 with her Portuguese folk-pop song Forca.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 24th July 2019, 04:56 PM
Post #327
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

QUOTE(Medellíam @ Jul 11 2019, 10:19 AM) *

Id argue myself artists like La Roux changed the pop/charts landscape rather than Lady Gaga in terms of honing a new style of edgier pop although obviously Lady gaga is a lot bigger!

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 15th August 2019, 02:34 PM
Post #328
Group icon

Official Charts Flashback 2004: 3 Of A Kind - Baby Cakes
How the one-hit wonders stormed to the top of the Official Singles Chart 15 years ago this week.
By Rob Copsey

One of the best things about 3 Of A Kind's Baby Cakes is that they never released a follow-up, making the the trio - Nicholas 'Devine MC' Gallante, Liana 'Miz Tipzta' Caruana and Marc Portelli - true one-hit wonders.

Even more curiously, Baby Cakes - a sugarcoated, bubblegum take on the 2-step sound - arrived seemingly out of nowhere in 2004, five years after garage music's peak on the charts.

In the book 1000 UK #1 Hits, member Liana 'Miz Tipzta' Caruana said the song was written in 1998, inspired by made-for-TV-film Babycakes starring Ricki Lake. "The words are written about someone I knew, but generally it's based on the film's love story," she said. "Basically, the girl knows the man is 'The One' but he doesn't realise it."

She forgot about the song and revisited it in 2002, singing the chorus to her friend Devine MC who worked at London pirate stations Supreme FM. He had an idea to match the song to an instrumental by his friend Marky P, and 3 Of A Kind Was Born. The song went from pirate radio, to clubs and eventually national radio.

Baby Cakes debuted at Number 1 on the Official Singles Chart 15 years ago this week, shifting 55,000 copies in its opening week. The song, amusingly, denied The Libertines' Can't Stand Me Now from the top spot that week, outselling them by more than double.

Baby Cakes' total chart sales stand at 392,000, including 11.5 million streams since 2014. It's still getting some love today: last week, 27 people in the UK downloaded it and it picked up just shy of 85,000 plays on audio streaming platforms.

Elsewhere on the Official Singles Chart that week in 2004, the previous week's Number 1, Thunderbirds/3am by Busted, was knocked to Number 3, and short-lived boyband V scored their biggest hit at Number 5 with Hip To Hip/Can You Feel It. Further down, there were big new entries from Kasabian, Javine and more.

The UK Top 10 for this week in 2004

1 (HNE) 3 OF A KIND Babycakes
2 (NE) THE LIBERTINES Can't Stand Me Now
3 (1) BUSTED - Thunderbirds / 3AM
4 (2) THE STREETS Dry Your Eyes
5 (NE) V Hip To Hip / Can You Feel It
6 (4) ANASTACIA Sick & Tired
7 (3) SHAPESHIFTERS Lola's Theme
8 (5) AVRIL LAVIGNE My Happy Ending
9 (6) D-12 How Come
10 (NE) KASABIAN L.S.F

This was why 2004 was split between being one of my favourite years for music and it not being one of my favourite years for music. There was some great stuff around, but very little of it getting anywhere near the top end of the charts. I suppose you have to be of a certain mind to appreciate something like 'Babycakes' but for me it was tinny, teeth rotting redacted garage for Nickelson wearing chavs to play off rubbish mobile phones on the back seat of the bus. Interesting story about it's genesis, mind.

I can't say I cared for The Libertines particularly either. I loved V though - they were a good boyband and they had a lot of potential, I think their only flaw was being launched at a time when Busted and McFly (who they shared a management team with - Danny Jones auditioned for them singing The Verve and that's where he first met Tom Fletcher who was filming the auditions) were absolutely huge and rendered traditional boybands as surplus to requirements.

I loved The Streets and Kasabian in that top 10 as well, and actually the Avril Lavigne track was pretty good too.

+Quote this post
Houdini
post 15th August 2019, 03:24 PM
Post #329
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725

L.S.F is easily the best song in that top 10. I used to have a bit of a crush on the girl in 3 Of A Kind when I was younger laugh.gif

+Quote this post
danG
post 15th August 2019, 03:29 PM
Post #330
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

'Babycakes' *_*
That Libertines song is really good too, but it dived to 11 the following week so it's for the best that it didn't make #1.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 15th August 2019, 04:15 PM
Post #331
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

V?? Cant remember them at all lol.

The Libertines song is the best song on there closely followed by Kasabian. The Libertines may have fallen to 11 but most indie bands fell quickly in this era (and most eras) but the song is certainly a classic now still.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 22nd August 2019, 08:56 AM
Post #332
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/n...o-latino__7712/

"Dónde está el hombre con fuego en la sangre?" chanted Geri Halliwell at the start of her second solo single Mi Chico Latino. "Where is the man with fire in his blood?" was quite a timely question – Geri’s first solo outing, the amazing Look At Me, had just missed out on the top spot, and it was clear its follow-up needed to have an extra kick.

And kick it did. Mi Chico Latino came at the tail-end of a summery Latin pop explosion. Ricky Martin had been ruling the radio and the charts with Livin’ La Vida Loca, Enrique Iglesias was showing us his best vest muscles for the first time, and Jennifer Lopez was making the move from Hollywood leading lady to bonafide popstar.

Taking its cue from Madonna’s masterpiece La Isla Bonita, half-Spanish Geri’s dreamy love letter to a man she was yet to meet had all the ingredients to be a Number 1 single, and went straight in at the top this week in 1999, shunting Westlife’s If I Let You Go.

It was the first of four chart-topping singles for the former Spice Girl. She’d have four in a row with Mi Chico Latino, Lift Me Up (which beat her Spice bandmate Emma Bunton to Number 1), Bag It Up and It’s Raining Men. But which one’s her favourite? "It is hard to choose which is my favourite," Geri told us, clearly not wanting to play favourites. "I'm incredibly grateful for my success, especially when I wrote those songs – they are a piece of me so it's amazing people connect with them!"

Scoring those four Number 1s gave Geri her very own Official Chart record – she had the most chart-toppers by a British female solo act. She held on to the feat for 14 years.

But how did it feel to be a record-breaker, and was she gutted to lose it? “I'd never really thought about it intently, but I really admire great female artists so it feels good to be in such great company," says Geri. "I love it when there's a positive message: inspiring a younger generation, anything is possible. That's the kind of music an artist strives to make."

Mi Chico Latino sold 132,000 copies in its opening week to take the top spot. It stayed there for just one week, before novelty summer hit Mambo No. 5 from Lou Bega took up residency at the top. To date, Mi Chico Latino has 391,500 chart sales, mostly made up of physical sales (373,000).

Elsewhere in the Official Singles Chart 20 years ago this week, Scottish pop rockers Texas scores an eighth Top 10 with Summer Son at Number 5, US trio TLC landed at Number 6 with Unpretty and short lived girl band Hepburn were new in the Top 20 with their second single Bugs.

+Quote this post
danG
post 22nd August 2019, 09:05 AM
Post #333
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

And once again there was a big quality gap jump between the #1 and #2, poor Alice Deejay were stuck there for a third week but at least it wasn't painstakingly close that week.
The best new entry that week for me has to be Binary Finary '1999' which was #11. The Texas song at #5 is rather good too but not keen on the Geri or TLC songs.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 22nd August 2019, 09:12 AM
Post #334
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

^ 'Mi Chico Latino' is far and away the best of the three songs that blocked 'Better Off Alone' to #1. I'd say it was my favourite Geri single, in fact.

+Quote this post
jszmiles
post 22nd August 2019, 09:59 AM
Post #335
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 1,161

Weird chart that week. Especially at the bottom of it. Thoughts:

1) so many entries based on import: Lou Bega, Ann Lee, Eiffel 65, Enrique, Atb and potentially BBE (hit in 1996) and the weirdest Dj Jean twice on import?
2) is ATB's "Don't Stop" the longest running entry on import?

+Quote this post
Robbie
post 22nd August 2019, 12:02 PM
Post #336
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366

QUOTE(Medellíam @ Aug 22 2019, 10:12 AM) *
^ 'Mi Chico Latino' is far and away the best of the three songs that blocked 'Better Off Alone' to #1. I'd say it was my favourite Geri single, in fact.
It's a nice track but owes a lot, at least in spirit, to Madonna's 'La Isla Bonita'.

When the single was first released the CD2 version of 'Mi Chico Latino' was briefly withdrawn from shops due to a printing error (the artwork from CD1 was accidentally also printed on CD2). CD2 contained remixes of 'Mi Chico Latino'.

+Quote this post
Robbie
post 22nd August 2019, 12:17 PM
Post #337
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(jszmiles @ Aug 22 2019, 10:59 AM) *

1) so many entries based on import: Lou Bega, Ann Lee, Eiffel 65, Enrique, Atb and potentially BBE (hit in 1996) and the weirdest Dj Jean twice on import?
There were plenty of imports charting around that time. The exchange rate meant that it cost little more to buy them as import singles than it would cost to buy them once the records had a UK release. Apparently Lou Bega did very well on import because his UK record label had already informed record dealers that the single wouldn't be sold at a discount and that dealers would be charged full price for each copy they bought. Apparently the import version of 'Mambo No.5' was only 20p more than the UK release.

re: DJ Jean - there were a handful of instances where more than one import version of a record was in the charts. Under chart rules if the import versions were from different distributors then sales weren't combined and each version charted separately. ATB's '9pm (Till I Come)' was at numbers 55 and 63 on separate imports on the chart dated 19 June 1999. Chart rules that prevented a record from occupying more than one chart place only applied when a record had been released in the UK.

'Don't Stop' - I can't think of any other import that had a longer run. What's impressive is that it racked up so many weeks in the period when there were exclusion rules applied to numbers 76-100 (which was to do with falling sales) and yet seems to have only fallen foul of the rule once, on 4 September 1999.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 22nd August 2019, 12:27 PM
Post #338
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

QUOTE(jszmiles @ Aug 22 2019, 10:59 AM) *

Seven Days and One Week seemed to be on a different label this week compared to in 1996, not sure what that was all about, maybe some imported stock sold off on the cheap? A 12" release?

The Launch looks like it was two different import versions (different labels), the same scenario happened with 9PM (Till I Come) a couple of months earlier, which had the Australian and German imports in the top 75 simultaneously.

There really are some fascinating finds in there 76-100 portions of the old charts, I've never heard of some of these songs and had no idea others were so close to charting on import. With ATB, where I always loved the UK mix of 9PM way more than the original mix that could be found on all the imports, with Don't Stop I loved both the original and UK mixes equally. Shame the UK mix still hasn't found its way to Spotify.

+Quote this post
tgl92
post 22nd August 2019, 12:55 PM
Post #339
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 18,060

Why do all old songs have massive first week sales and then not sell much in the long run? I know it was different formats but I guess songs now just live on the chart through streaming points?

+Quote this post
Robbie
post 22nd August 2019, 01:28 PM
Post #340
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(tgl92 @ Aug 22 2019, 01:55 PM) *
Why do all old songs have massive first week sales and then not sell much in the long run? I know it was different formats but I guess songs now just live on the chart through streaming points?
Back then singles were usually sold at a much lower price in the week of release before going to full the price the next. It meant many people would buy the single the week it was released. Add in the fact that back then singles would normally be played on radio 4 to 6 weeks before the single was released and the release date would be publicised well in advance it meant that demand would be at its peak the week the single was released. Once the price increased the week after release sales would drop. The other thing back then was that it was common for singles to be deleted within 3 months of release (and often a lot sooner) so it restricted what a single could sell in the long run.

+Quote this post

31 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 01:26 AM