BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
30 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> United Kingdom · Eurovision Song Contest 2016, Joe and Jake - You're Not Alone
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Ryan.
post 30th September 2015, 03:48 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608

Mixed emotions about this, but I'm glad the BBC have made an announcement as early as September to reassure me that they do actually think about Eurovision before we actually go into 2016. However if I was given the choice over a national final or an internal selection, I'd definitely pick the latter. I just cannot trust the public to vote wisely and I cannot trust the BBC to not put a novelty entry into the final, or have an "expert panel" consisting of John Barrowman and friends who are desperate to send the worst act because it's "SO EUROVISION!!".

That said, if Electro Velvet really was the best the submissions had to offer last year, maybe the pull of a prime-time TV show will give us higher quality submissions - we just need to hope the BBC have moved on from the days of the Making Your Mind Up shows in the 2000s. I am glad Eurovision will be getting at least another evening of prime-time BBC coverage, I just hope they stay as far away from the clichés of the 2000s national finals. And hopefully the results are decided with a 50% jury input, a jury that DOES NOT consist of John Barrowman and friends - an international jury would be better.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 30th September 2015, 06:37 PM
Post #22
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

The campaign to send Wonder Villains to Eurovision in 2016 begins...

+Quote this post
Vülker
post 30th September 2015, 07:04 PM
Post #23
Group icon
üüü barracüda
User: 10,222

They should really focus on finding and promoting good British songs than finding an Eurovision entry, that should be an added bonus.

SF1 - Glasgow
SF2 - Cardiff
SF3 - Manchester
SF4 - Belfast
Second Chance Round - Edinburgh
Final - London

Could you imagine? The Great British Song Contest. As big as Bake Off~

This post has been edited by Vülker: 30th September 2015, 07:04 PM

+Quote this post
Martyn
post 30th September 2015, 07:17 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 66

People wanting something big as Melfest need to stop whatever it is they are smoking. It would take years of decent entries and actual success from the contest and entry round(s) to get 32-36 entries worth something that big.

+Quote this post
Vülker
post 30th September 2015, 07:22 PM
Post #25
Group icon
üüü barracüda
User: 10,222

I didn't say I'm expecting it to be like Melfest~

And I'll smoke whatever I want.

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post 2nd October 2015, 01:20 PM
Post #26
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955

POP twins Jedward are planning a Eurovision comeback — with the United Kingdom.

The move comes after a series of disastrous UK entries that have ended close to the bottom of the scoreboard, sending Eurovision viewing figures in Britain crashing to a five-year low of 6.6million.

But all that will change in 2016 when the BBC asks the public to choose the act they send to Eurovison, and that could be the Grimes brothers if they have their way.

Edward told the Irish Sun: “We’re definitely up for it. We see this as the most fantastic opportunity. But this time, we are in it to win it.”

Brothers John and Edward represented Ireland twice at the song contest — in Dusseldorf in 2011 and Baku in 2012.

Although they failed to win on either occasion, their 2011 Irish entry Lipstick went on to become a hit across Europe, and they have been invited back several times since then as special guests.

The BBC’s new open approach to Eurovision is to ensure the act chosen to represent UK has more appeal to the international audience who vote in the final contest.

John said: “We know we are already popular in Eurovision and will have support across Britain to represent the UK because of the fan base we got in X Factor.” Currently in the US recording new material, the Lucan lads now plan to jet over to the UK later this month to begin work on their third Eurovision bid.

The duo say their dream of making a comeback at the contest is inspired by American group Katrina & The Waves, who scored their biggest hit Walking On Sunshine in 1985.

They were seen as ‘also rans’ when chosen as the UK entry in 1997, but ended up winning Eurovision with international hit Shine A Light.

It was the first UK win since Buck’s Fizz in 1981.

Since then the Brits have failed to top the scoreboard, despite sending established stars such as Bonnie Tyler and Engelbert Humperdinck.

http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/sho...for-the-UK.html

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 2nd October 2015, 01:26 PM
Post #27
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
Pronouns: he/him
User: 8,674

Lol *__* Maybe Europe would be ready after a little break and twice in a row was overkill?

(Because "Waterline" was easily their better entry biggrin.gif)

+Quote this post
danG
post 2nd October 2015, 01:41 PM
Post #28
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

if Jedward did represent the UK would they be the first to represent 2 different countries??

not too sure about them but if deliver another 'Lipstick' then that'd be good.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 2nd October 2015, 01:44 PM
Post #29
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Feminnem have represented Croatia and Bosnia in the past (albeit with a lineup change), there's been Elisabeth Andreassen who's represented Sweden and Norway (albeit as part of groups for some) and I'm sure there's a couple of others from like the 60s when Monaco and Luxembourg were just taking the French rejects. So no, there's been quite a few.

Also, please no. We've had our fill of them.

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 2nd October 2015, 06:16 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608

I can't see BBC putting them forward into their national final unless the song is incredible, but judging by their past form they wouldn't know an incredible song if there was one!

But anyway, here's a recent interview with Bianca. It's quite saddening that you really can tell her confidence has taken a huge knock due to Twitter trolls (which she briefly mentions in the interview) in comparison to pre-contest interviews, but she's still as lovely as ever. I'd quite like her to return with a big ballad one day as Mike suggests in the interview:

Also, here is an insightful article from David Mindel, writer of 'Still In Love With You', who tells the story of what happened throughout the selection process for this year: Click here!

I never realised Alex was a last minute replacement for another male singer, only joining the duo in January! It seems to suggest that the BBC really do put a lot of effort in, but if that is the case then the decisions regarding song choice are even more misguided than originally thought. It wouldn't be so bad if they chose the likes of 'Still In Love With You' knowing it wouldn't set the scoreboard alight, but if they truly did think it could win then it's quite worrying. Hopefully the changes this year with the record exec and OGAE UK will stop this happening!

+Quote this post
Entity
post 14th October 2015, 10:43 PM
Post #31
Group icon
New Entry
User: 19,097

Out national final will be a disaster of Josh Dubovie proportions. I'm calling it now.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 22nd October 2015, 07:20 AM
Post #32
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Bianca from Electro Velvet just got on the train I always get to work! It's not actually all that surprising seeing as I'd read she is from Beckenham, which is the next station down the line. Quite sad that not a single person on this train recognises her, but I guess those 7 million UK ESC viewers all have a short memory!

+Quote this post
p a v
post 22nd October 2015, 07:23 AM
Post #33
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

Did you come over and say anything tho?

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 22nd October 2015, 07:25 AM
Post #34
Group icon
Hello?

Not this time, I reserve stanning for Delta only! Oddly I'm wearing my Eurovision t-shirt today for the first time in months, it's as if it was meant to be...

+Quote this post
p a v
post 22nd October 2015, 07:26 AM
Post #35
Group icon

but delta would never find out ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 22nd October 2015, 07:27 AM
Post #36
Group icon
Hello?

Tbh I didn't want to look like the weird commuter train stalker...

+Quote this post
p a v
post 22nd October 2015, 07:35 AM
Post #37
Group icon

*casually* 'excuse me aren't you bianca from electro velvet?' - 'yes blah blah' - 'just wanted to say i loved the performance and song you had in vienna' - 'blah blah'.

that's it really. nothing stalkery about it. especially if her stop is literally next. in fact given the circumstances she would probably be glad to see a fan. surely there aren't many people who recognise her like that ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 22nd October 2015, 07:40 AM
Post #38
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Hennoween @ Oct 22 2015, 08:35 AM) *
*casually* 'excuse me aren't you bianca from electro velvet?' - 'yes blah blah' - 'just wanted to say i loved the performance and song you had in vienna' - 'blah blah'.

that's it really. nothing stalkery about it. especially if her stop is literally next. in fact given the circumstances she would probably be glad to see a fan. surely there aren't many people who recognise her like that ohmy.gif

Given how...cosy...that morning train is, such small talk would have been followed by an awkward ten minutes of having to scrunch in right next to her and make further awkward conversation, so I thought I'd sidestep it (she was going the opposite way to Beckenham so presumably would have been on the train for the next 15-20 minutes). I'm sure she gets mobbed on a regular basis ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Mybelle
post 29th October 2015, 08:41 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 15,028

I actually wonder whether the powers that be really want us to win. They were approached by Hurts, who have a large following Eastern Europe/Germany with an offer to write and sing the song and they turned them down. Their lead singer Theo has mentioned it and I get the feeling that after their knock back they would now actually consider agreeing to sing for Russia over Britain, because of the way it was dealt with. This song from their latest album (or something similar) would go down well or something like their brilliant song Stay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_eVOzxZrdE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nP3XB7hrFo

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 9th November 2015, 07:34 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

The scheduling of the selection for next year will be a little awkward because of The Voice. From 2017 that won't apply, so maybe the BBC will go for a bigger contest that year.

+Quote this post

30 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th April 2024, 03:47 PM