BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Tips to find a WINNING song.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Juranamo
post 6th June 2011, 02:59 PM
Post #1
Group icon
"Everything seems different the second time around."
User: 5,830

I'm sitting here today wondering. How does anyone find what they consider to be a 'winning' song, one that they love and would love to introduce to the resy of BJSC?

I say this, because I've been trawling PJ, last.fm, youtube... and I'm still not getting anywhere!
Rontvia, Kopecka et al come out with stompers every month, I just don't know how it's done especially with the time limitations of a full time job/education.

Would just love a bit of guidance for me, and anyone else who's struggling in their search! Thanks.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 6th June 2011, 03:22 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Sundream
User: 10,347

It's down to the individual. The two songs I've entered so far have both been tracks I discovered via YouTube and thought were absolutely brilliant. Of course there was no guarantee that I would win - it's a case of simply finding a song you love that others will love too.

Also as predictable as it may seem, female vocalists tend to do much better overall than male artists.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 6th June 2011, 03:33 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

I wouldn't say that there's any special magic formula. I usually just send the song that I love the most which is currently highest in my personal chart and isn't cheap, uninspired, Eurovision related or a UK release. I certainly don't trawl the internet for hours searching for entries, most of my entries I've stumbled across through my usual music gathering on various blogs and sites that I follow/read daily! I'm quite fortunate that my personal taste seems to be quite in tune with what normally seems to do well in BJSC, which is backed up by the fact that I almost always give high points to the winners and immediate runners-up.

Also, I never aim to send a 'winning song', I send my favourite song at that moment in time and hope for the best.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 6th June 2011, 03:53 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

I'd say the best way to do it is not to aim for it. There was no way I thought when I sent Molly that I'd win.

I'd say that a strong melody, catchy lyrics, a big ass hook, some good vocals and great production is a sure fire way to do well.

+Quote this post
p a v
post 6th June 2011, 04:17 PM
Post #5
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

If you try and, unless you are Nickodonia, you will succeed. I'd agree that it's best not to aim for the win.

I myself absolutely accidentally found all songs that were Top 3 for me in the contest, Shakira aside. Best way is to develop a habit to routinely check out some music blogs/sites etc. everyt day, week or so, in order to find new music for yourself, not specifically for BJSC. You will get more newly discovered songs to actually choose from when it's time for another contest, and you will be constantly introduced to new music. And one day it shall pay off. Just do not limit yourself to one specific genre because you can sometimes fall in love with a song of an obscure to you genre that you'd never expected to like.

If you think "i'm sending this because it can do well and i love it" - drop it because satisfaction of doing well is nothing (HAI LOBA). Imo it should be "OMG I'm loving this song, i'm sending it. Oh and it could do well".

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post 6th June 2011, 04:31 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Sundream
User: 10,347

^ Like Pavel has said, I didn't expect to win with 'Black Video' but ultimately I'd say the track performed better than I'd anticipated initially (ie; I wanted to enter it but thought the bottom half of the leaderbaord beckoned).

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 6th June 2011, 05:06 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

I've gone a track I'm loving which is inspired, to little sucsess, for my debut trio of contests. I came 8th on my debut (very good I suppose), 24th on the second go and DNQ on this contest nocheer.gif I qualified for the final of BJFestivalen too, but came 10th (ie last) but some way. This time, I'll probably do what Rich said and send the current highest 'inspired' track in my personal chart. That way, at least I'll love it!

+Quote this post
Sabrewulf
post 6th June 2011, 07:25 PM
Post #8
Group icon
All hail the mighty Pingu
User: 5,921

I've more or less given up on "searches for the winning song" because said "winning song" is never actually "winning song".

These days I just try to make my selections a mixture of something I really like and also something that might be BJSC friendly. However the song has to be something I enjoy listening too firstmost. If it screams BJSC Friendly and I think it's horrible I wouldn't feel right sending it. It would just be wrong... Although what is "BJSC Friendly" seems to be getting a bit more obscure so I don't know if I can rely on that anymore.

I do think my biggest flaw might be that I always search for songs on the basis of entering it in BJSC/NSC rather than just to discover new music. I've always depended on the contests to discover new music so I don't really discover much music outside the contest.

I guess some people have just got it and some people don't got it.

This post has been edited by Sabrewulf: 6th June 2011, 07:32 PM

+Quote this post
nickthenoodle
post 6th June 2011, 09:52 PM
Post #9
Group icon
livin' legend you can look but don't touch
User: 4,844

QUOTE(P∆V‡L @ Jun 6 2011, 05:17 PM) *
If you try and, unless you are Nickodonia, you will succeed. I'd agree that it's best not to aim for the win.

I myself absolutely accidentally found all songs that were Top 3 for me in the contest, Shakira aside. Best way is to develop a habit to routinely check out some music blogs/sites etc. everyt day, week or so, in order to find new music for yourself, not specifically for BJSC. You will get more newly discovered songs to actually choose from when it's time for another contest, and you will be constantly introduced to new music. And one day it shall pay off. Just do not limit yourself to one specific genre because you can sometimes fall in love with a song of an obscure to you genre that you'd never expected to like.

If you think "i'm sending this because it can do well and i love it" - drop it because satisfaction of doing well is nothing (HAI LOBA). Imo it should be "OMG I'm loving this song, i'm sending it. Oh and it could do well".

You wanna be starting something ohmy.gif THIS IS WAR.

+Quote this post
p a v
post 6th June 2011, 10:09 PM
Post #10
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

QUOTE(xxxxxx @ Jun 7 2011, 01:52 AM) *
You wanna be starting something ohmy.gif THIS IS WAR.

But it's true! You, Dalisska and Espen (although not lately) are Portugals of BJSC. Participating for AGES and haven't got 'AMAZING' result sad.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 6th June 2011, 10:11 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

QUOTE(P∆V‡L @ Jun 6 2011, 11:09 PM) *
But it's true! You, Dalisska and Espen (although not lately) are Portugals of BJSC. Participating for AGES and haven't got 'AMAZING' result sad.gif

Nickodonia came 3rd in XIV with one of about 3 songs worthy of finishing inside the top ten laugh.gif One of the others, ironically, being from Dalisska!

+Quote this post
Sabrewulf
post 6th June 2011, 10:37 PM
Post #12
Group icon
All hail the mighty Pingu
User: 5,921

Well Dalisska did also come 5th a few contests ago with Killabite. Which we're very happy with. So that does give me faith that Dalisska can do it one day. smile.gif

It definitely seems like a bit of a once off event though. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Sabrewulf: 6th June 2011, 10:42 PM

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 6th June 2011, 10:44 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

I'm taking a risk this time, my song is half rap (ohmy.gif) - I KNOW a certain someone on here appreciates it though (and might end up figuring out my entry tongue.gif)! But I have a male electro-pop track in reserve in case I bottle it laugh.gif Though I reckon said reserve might be snapped up by another country before I do - dunno why! I actually don't think, in my short time at BJSC, there is a tip for a good winner - I mean the contest just gone was looking indie dominated until Charice flew out of nowhere! I think just send a song you love (that isn't too extremely out of BJ's comfort zone) and hope for the best!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 10:16 PM