BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

54 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'Judas' ● 2nd Single Thread, Released 15th April 2011
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
jark
post 8th April 2011, 12:14 PM
Post #81
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990

So the uber-hyperbolic Popjustice review is in:

QUOTE(PJ)
Imagine a highly evolved, Titanium-plated 'Bad Romance' from the year 2511 travelling half a millennium back in time to save music from a tidal wave of 'in the club'-obsessed pop drivel, and that's 'Judas'. We love this song so much. It's pop in all the right ways, it's noisy in all the right ways, it's brash and bombastic and funny and audacious and stupid in all the right ways, and it's smart in all the right ways, too.

On the surface it's a song about being double-crossed ("even after three times he betrays me"), contemplating revenge ("bring him down, I'll bring him down down, a king with no crown, a king with no crown"), but being repeatedly drawn to awfulness: "I'm just a holy fool but baby oh baby he's so cruel, but I'm still in love with Judas, baby".

Vocally Gaga's in completely new territory (in the verses and pre-chorus she hurls herself into a decadent half-sung, half-rapped Jamaican Patois style), the chorus is a thousand storeys high, there's a demented tribal techno breakdown, and the whole thing is a little bit overwhelming for all the right reasons. Importantly, as a turbo-charged electrogothic wrongness anthem 'Judas' sounds like a lot of fun - like Gaga had fun writing it and like RedOne had a lot of fun producing it. If Abba ever went to the sort of poppers-'n'-fisting Mannheim sex club Jake Shears told us about in 2009 'Judas' is the sort of song they would have come up with. Maybe this is all good news for those of you who felt that the overstudied carefreeness of 'Born This Way' missed its target.

We first heard an early version of 'Judas' last May, the same time we heard that early version of 'Born This Way' and a handful of other tracks that have made the album, and we last heard the track a couple of weeks ago - not the very final mix, apparently, but we were told there would be no major changes. While the sound of 'Born This Way' had changed a lot by the time the single version debuted, the sound of 'Judas' has been industrial, thunderous and frantic throughout.

One of the more recent additions to the song, which has apparently only appeared in the last few weeks, is a middle eight that goes like this: "In the most Biblical sense, I am beyond repentance. 'Fame hooker', 'prostitute wench', 'vomits her mind'... But in the cultural sense I just speak in future tense. Judas kiss me if offenced, or wear an ear condom next time."

You might raise an eyebrow at 'offenced' but remember how "WHAYOURBARROWMANCE" didn't exist until Spring 2009 and these days it's part of all our lives. What does the 'Judas' interlude mean? "It's pretty east to decode," Gaga told us when we asked. "In terms of traditional views of what a woman is supposed to be I'm beyond the ability to redeem myself. But I don't want to redeem myself, because in the cultural sense I believe that I'm just before my time. And if you don't like it, wear an ear condom."

Q&A TIME

What is the BPM?
Somewhere in the region of 130. Yes, you will be dancing to this song.

Is it actually about Judas out of The Bible or is it pretending to be about Judas when in fact it is about something else?
The first time Lady Gaga played us the tune she told us that in broad terms it was about being in love with the worst guy you've ever met, but as you might expect there's more to it than that. "It's about leaving your darkness behind in order to come into the light," she added the other day. "I have a lot of things that have haunted me from my past - choices, men, drug abuse, being afraid to go back to New York, confronting old romances - and Judas represents, for me, something that is bad for me that I can't escape. I keep going back and forth between the darkness and the light in order to understand who I am." So, very broadly, the main portion of the song is about Gaga in private and the middle eight is about Gaga in public, two themes that are explored elsewhere on the album too.

Is it better than 'Bad Romance'?
It's too early to say yes but it's too close to rule it out.

Does it actually sound like 'Bad Romance'?
Well, 'Judas' is to 'Bad Romance' as 'Bad Romance' was to 'Poker Face'. It's a new experience in familiar territory, like dancing in your favourite club after it's had a new soundsystem fitted. The nods to 'Bad Romance' are deliberate - Gaga told us that while sometimes it's important to push herself in new directions, as she does throughout the album, "sometimes I do count my stripes and make sure they’re all there, and 'Judas' was one of those records. I wanted it to be an evolution from where I’ve been before but in terms of the formula I wanted there to be something about 'Judas' that reminded people of what I’ve done in the past". So there's a post-chorus like the 'Bad Romance' "whoah-oah-oh" bit (here it's "whoah-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh I'm in love with Ju-u-das, Ju-u-das"), there are some ra-ra post-chorus hook bits ("Juda-Judas, Juda-Judas, Juda-Judas, Juda-Gaga") and the song unfolds similarly too: post-chorus, post-chorus hook, song slams in with verse one, then pre-chorus, big explosive chorus out of nowhere, then back down to post-chorus, post-chorus hook and so on.

Is it better than 'Born This Way'?
We think it is 2.5x better than 'Born This Way'. 'Born This Way' could/should only have been the lead single from the album, and it does make more sense in the context of other album tracks, but 'Judas' is more up our street. It's a pop song that's happy being 'just' a pop song and it immediately feels more 'proper Gaga' - whatever that really means - than 'Born This Way'.

Does it sound like any songs by other notable recording artistes?
No.

Will some people dislike it?
Yes, and it is important that these people are able to accept that they are wrong. They will need your love and your respect while they come to terms with this difficult truth. Do not pity them, just offer them your help.

I'll take it with a pretty big grain of salt. Still excited for the song though, naturally.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 8th April 2011, 04:13 PM
Post #82
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

PJ review sounds EPIC wub.gif Less than 2 weeks now! heart.gif

+Quote this post
Rain
post 8th April 2011, 04:35 PM
Post #83
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 4,326

I'm preparing myself to be disappointed initially. I hyped up BTW far too much and was left feeling disappointed for a long time. I really love it now though, go figure.

+Quote this post
artpopchris
post 8th April 2011, 06:27 PM
Post #84
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,054

QUOTE(nicco @ Apr 8 2011, 03:19 AM) *
Norman Reedus is Judas
Lady GaGa is Mary Magdalene

w00t.gif w00t.gif

Confirmation of this, http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1661567/l...das-video.jhtml

+Quote this post
Regina
post 8th April 2011, 09:18 PM
Post #85
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

Well if it is even half as good as BR (or Rad Bromance as i like to call it now) then it will be a major step up from BTW dancing.gif

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 10th April 2011, 05:59 PM
Post #86
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a31...tian-group.html

I love how someone from the Catholic Church is calling GaGa "increasingly irrelevant". Oh the irony.

+Quote this post
YÜYI
post 11th April 2011, 02:00 PM
Post #87
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 11,081

Lady GaGa's 'Judas' Video A Publicity Stunt?
Her forthcoming promo has been criticised by a religious group...

Lady GaGa has been slammed by a religious pressure group for her decision to portray the bible in the video for her next single, Judas.

As we previously reported, Lady G is to play New Testament icon Mary Magdalene in the forthcoming clip - which the eccentric star filmed in LA last weekend.

According to The Sun, Bill Donohue of the Catholic League For Religious and Civil Rights has stated that Lady G's use of religious figures in the promo is a publicity stunt.

Speaking to the tabloid, Donohue claimed: "People have real talent, and then there is Lady GaGa. I find GaGa to be increasingly irrelevant."

He added: "Is this the only way to jet up her performance? This isn't random, we are getting closer to Holy Week and Easter."

Despite his claims, GaGa's creative director Laurieann Gibson has previously said that the 25-year old's video isn't blasphemous, but instead will portray a "huge and really groundbreaking" message.

Gibson has continued to defend Lady G's upcoming promo, insisting that the video is "a new Jerusalem" and as a Christian herself, she would have walked away from the project if it was offensive.

Laurieann told The Hollywood Reporter: "It went through several changes and late-night debates because at one point there were two completely different views and I was like, 'Listen, I don't want lightning to strike me! I believe in the gospel and I'm not going there',"

"It was amazing because to have that conversation about salvation, peace and the search for the truth in a room of non-believers and believers, to me, that was saying God is active in a big way."

She explained: "We don't touch on things that we have no right touching upon, but the inspiration and the soul and idea that out of your oppression, your darkness, your Judas, you can come into the marvelous light. We've created a new Jerusalem."

The Poker Face hitmaker recently announced via her YouTube show, GaGaVision, that Judas will be released on 19th April.

+Quote this post
Regina
post 11th April 2011, 02:05 PM
Post #88
Group icon
Raining Shitter

You have basically posted the exact same thing as the poster above you.

What a load of nonsense that article spouts laugh.gif

Do we have a cover for the single yet?

+Quote this post
YÜYI
post 11th April 2011, 02:08 PM
Post #89
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Regina @ Apr 11 2011, 03:05 PM) *
You have basically posted the exact same thing as the poster above you.

What a load of nonsense that article spouts laugh.gif

Do we have a cover for the single yet?

Well they sort of different wacko.gif
and
No not yet happy.gif

+Quote this post
Regina
post 11th April 2011, 02:09 PM
Post #90
Group icon
Raining Shitter

They are saying pretty much the same thing.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 11th April 2011, 04:12 PM
Post #91
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

Edited the top post into shape smile.gif 'Twas a bit outdated really!

+Quote this post
Aidan
post 11th April 2011, 04:45 PM
Post #92
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 6,246

QUOTE(Gaga for Glee! @ Apr 11 2011, 03:08 PM) *
Well they sort of different wacko.gif
and
No not yet happy.gif

Well like Regina said, they are saying the same things. Even if they are written or said in a different way, there's no need to post it again.

+Quote this post
YÜYI
post 11th April 2011, 04:50 PM
Post #93
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Aidan @ Apr 11 2011, 05:45 PM) *
Well like Regina said, they are saying the same things. Even if they are written or said in a different way, there's no need to post it again.

Jesus i didnt know it was already posted ok!

This post has been edited by Gaga for Glee!: 11th April 2011, 04:51 PM

+Quote this post
Regina
post 11th April 2011, 05:03 PM
Post #94
Group icon
Raining Shitter

How is that possible? It was posted yesterday, do you not LOOK before posting? wacko.gif

+Quote this post
H.J
post 12th April 2011, 01:11 PM
Post #95
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 11,478

Looking forward to Judas. 7 Dayssss..........

+Quote this post
jark
post 12th April 2011, 02:22 PM
Post #96
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990

LOL let it GO! He said he didn't know. Maybe he clicked recent/new posts and it took him to the bottom of the page as sometimes happens.

+Quote this post
Davidson
post 13th April 2011, 07:46 PM
Post #97
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,847

I am fed up of Gaga continueing to try and shock people, Madonna has already done the religious thing. I used to love her, infact she was my favourite artist but now I am finding it hard to continue my love for her. BTW was average & the video for 'Judas' just sounds ridicious. The song better be amazing to make up for it.

+Quote this post
YÜYI
post 14th April 2011, 08:40 PM
Post #98
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Lady Gaga`s `Judas` video is set to debut on April 19, though it will inevitably leak before then. The religious imagery associated with `Judas` is already raising the spectre of this being another Madonna soundalike, a charge that was leveled against `Born This Way`. Will `Judas` be another `Like a Prayer`? The Catholic League already thinks so, despite not having seen the video or heard the song."
gaga

If there were a God in heaven Lady Gaga would be a street performance artist in San Francisco or a Madonna impersonator at a third-rate bar in Las Vegas.

Link: http://thesop.org/story/20110412/new-lady-...es-madonna.html

+Quote this post
▲▲▲
post 15th April 2011, 10:17 AM
Post #99
Group icon
INVITE ME TO YOUR SYNAGOGUE
User: 155

CLIPS R AMAZING.

+Quote this post