BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> How do you put together your votes?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
m
post 29th January 2016, 12:10 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I asked for my account to be banned
User: 7,132

I'm doing the final listening of BJSC 81 at the moment and just wondering about this. I've used different methods in putting together my votes throughout my time in the contest. What about you? Do you always do it the same way?

I've recently gone back to my original method - making a ranking of all the songs. I'll listen to a song and put it somewhere between other songs. When I've gone through all the songs, I will re-listen to some of them (even just a few seconds) to remind myself of them and to make sure I know what points to give to it, if any, and to maybe give certain songs a chance to move up higher in the ranking. When I'm finished the listening, normally the top few songs don't change in terms of their position in the ranking, and I kind of disregard the bottom ones then because I know they won't be getting points anyway. It's the middle ones that tend to be tricky. In the last semi it was quite difficult trying to figure out which song to give one point to and I hate the thought of sending my votes unless I'm absolutely confident in them. So I listened to some parts of the "middle" songs in my ranking again, and ended up giving one point to a song that wasn't even originally "next in line" in my ranking! So it's not a very rigid method, the rankings tend to change around.

My previous method that I've stopped using was the following. I used to make a table with the headings "excellent", "good", "okay" and "bad". Pretty self-explanatory. Then when all the songs were organized into the table in this way, I would just sort of figure out the votes as I went. Obviously the ones in "excellent" would get top points, but then usually after that it was a bit of a pain trying to figure out which ones from "good" to give points to. Again, I had to keep re-listening. Sometimes it would happen that a song would go from "good" to "excellent" ('I've Been Secretly Falling Apart' from Terra Avium, for example) and so on.

I used to do at least two full listens of each song, but now I feel quite confident only doing one full one if I feel like it. As I said, I do re-listen to some of the songs just to make sure.

I've never done the 8.5/10 thing that I think a lot of you do. I just feel more comfortable ranking etc.

Hope that makes sense.

#votedeandria
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
m
post 29th January 2016, 12:17 PM
Post #2
Group icon

Blake's answer: I don't.

+Quote this post
jakewild
post 29th January 2016, 12:18 PM
Post #3
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
User: 2,790

basically just listen to them and put the ones I like in an order and if there are more than 10 the bottom ones go. I'm very thorough.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 29th January 2016, 12:25 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

I mark them all out of 10. Songs with the same score (sometimes I have four or five 9/10s for example) are then separated by how inspired I feel each entry with that score is, or how different/standout it is.

A generic pop 9/10 would almost always be ranked underneath a theatrical pop 9/10 for example, as I like to give points for doing something a bit different if I like songs the same amount. But a 10/10 is a 10/10, regardless of whether it's generic or uninspired, if it's my favourite song it will get my top points.

+Quote this post
Klumzee
post 29th January 2016, 12:25 PM
Post #5
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421

I generally have the songs on a playlist which I listen to throughout the week, making sure I'm familiar with all the songs by the end and can remember what I think about them. Then I pick out the songs I consider could make the top 10/15 and generally I've got my favourites which I know I must give points to so that takes up most my votes. The low points are usually the hardest but then again the difference between 3/4 points and 0 isn't that much overall so I go with whatever I'm feeling there and then. And then I adjust the songs a bit before sending them off!

+Quote this post
m
post 29th January 2016, 12:28 PM
Post #6
Group icon

QUOTE(🌚🌚🌚 @ Jan 29 2016, 12:18 PM) *
basically just listen to them and put the ones I like in an order and if there are more than 10 the bottom ones go. I'm very thorough.

Yeah that's basically condensing my essay into one line, but like, I sometimes have to re-listen to some of the bottom ones (not the bottom bottom, but the bottom good ones lol) again, even just for a bit, just to make sure. That's kinda my thoroughness. I have to be absolutely sure before I send. The top ones I'm much more confident about.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 29th January 2016, 12:48 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

I play the videos and mark out of 100. Then I use that a rough order for the downloads and start playing in reverse, moving any down the list that don't improve on relistens. Once I'm down to 20 or so I'll play chunks of each to check on the order, then start playing from the best to the least and shift the order.

Then I put the best candidates on a CD in the car in order, and see which sound fab on good quality sound systems and pick the final order based on that. Poorer quality MP3's can drop a little at this point. I'm very thorough! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Qween
post 29th January 2016, 01:17 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

I listen through once, rating everything out of 10. I usually cull anything a 5/6 or below immediately, listen again, re-rate/rank and then usually end up with about 10/15 songs after the second cull.

+Quote this post
jakewild
post 29th January 2016, 01:18 PM
Post #9
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
User: 2,790

QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Jan 29 2016, 12:48 PM) *
I play the videos and mark out of 100. Then I use that a rough order for the downloads and start playing in reverse, moving any down the list that don't improve on relistens. Once I'm down to 20 or so I'll play chunks of each to check on the order, then start playing from the best to the least and shift the order.

Then I put the best candidates on a CD in the car in order, and see which sound fab on good quality sound systems and pick the final order based on that. Poorer quality MP3's can drop a little at this point. I'm very thorough! laugh.gif

yeh the vids are important for me, I never listen via MP3 I just use the video links in the first post ( which I'm always thankful for, )

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 29th January 2016, 01:21 PM
Post #10
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

Basically what you do Mattias I think. I listen to everything once and, as I do so, I try putting them in a rough order and immediatley get rid of songs that have no chance. I then listen through the remaining ones again to sort out the order, then roughly listen to a bit each one in the order I've put to make sure they're in the right order.

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 29th January 2016, 01:29 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005

Copy and paste the songs from the thread

Listen to first one and if I like it at least a bit I separate it into a new section.

Listen to the rest one by one adding it to the section i made, ranking in order of how much I like them. Although on occasion I might ignore this rule if I think a song I like will not do that well and I'll rank it higher so it hopefully doesn't DNQ kink.gif

If I don't like a song I put it in a second section #trashcan but I never know how strong the semi or final will be.

I usually like to listen and rerank my votes twice as I can grow to songs on multiple listens tongue.gif

I then do a commiserations section of songs I would have wanted to give points to but ran out of places sob.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 29th January 2016, 01:30 PM
Post #12
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

I have five categories on a Word document:

YES (songs I'd like to vote for)
MAYBE (songs I wouldn't mind voting for in a weak contest)
NO (songs I don't want to vote for)
NEVER (dreadful songs, I don't use this that much)
WHO KNOWS (songs that baffle me and can't really be ranked :') )

Everything is ranked from best to worst within those categories. It's very rare I have to vote for anything not in my YES category anyway.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 29th January 2016, 01:35 PM
Post #13
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

I don't rate the songs out of 10, but I rank them in a word document (called 'bjsc', started it in my first contest in 2012 and still use it to this day <3) and then eliminate all until like the top 15 or so, or include songs I feel I may need to listen to again, and then form a clear top 10. When it's in the semis, I do tend to favour songs which have uncertain chances of progressing rather than dead certs to qualify, and inspired entries always win over cheap ones (though I will vote for cheap ones, if they're great regardless). These days though, I use dubtrack a lot more heehee.gif but the same rules apply.

I like to give songs my full attention, so I often allocate an hour or two to listening and use the YT links primarily as sometimes the video adds to it a lot.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: 29th January 2016, 01:35 PM

+Quote this post
danG
post 29th January 2016, 02:36 PM
Post #14
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

I make a new excel spreadsheet for each contest and as I'm listening to the entries I move the song to where it would rank out of what I've listened to so far. Then at the end I do a bit of recapping and reshuffling.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 29th January 2016, 03:47 PM
Post #15
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

I listen once, through Youtube, sometimes paying attention to the videos, sometimes not, it doesn't really matter for me, then I get the mp3 packs, listen again. Only then do I start making my rank, on a notepad file. Along the way I'm throwing out (putting to the bottom) songs that I don't think will get points and don't sound like they'd grow on me and going back for growers. Something's never OUT out when I do this though, it can always climb back in, but I'm less likely to listen again to those already at the bottom.

Over the week, with the mp3s I see which songs I get drawn back to more naturally and those tend to get an advantage. By the end of the week I have a rough order, I then break it down into sub-parts that are of a similar quality, normally something like 1-4, 5-7, 7-12, 13-20, listen to each section of those in order, to get a sub-order, normally favouring interesting and inspired entries over generic and 'heard it many times before' entries of the same quality, and it just depends which entries I'm feeling more sometimes. Then, after double-checking each part of my rank, I send in the votes. I really can't do one listen, I'd always feel like I'm not giving many tracks enough of a chance.

Interesting seeing how different people do theirs, though, I will have to use this information to craft the perfect track for working with everyone's different methods.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 29th January 2016, 03:50 PM
Post #16
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

I usually listen through all the songs in order and rank them as I go along, then I listen through a second time from my favourite to my least favourite from the first listen and make any adjustments based on that listen. Then if I have time to I'll repeat this for a third listen through.

This time I only did the one listen and ranking as I went along as I didn't even have time for a second listen. Oops ~

+Quote this post
*Tim
post 29th January 2016, 03:56 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660

I rate them out of 10 on half marks. Ties will then be split seperately

+Quote this post
Linds.
post 29th January 2016, 03:57 PM
Post #18
Group icon
laugh 'til we cry
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,176

I start by copying the entries into a word document and I work my way through listening to them and do a sort of colour coding system, when isn't colour coding appropriate tbh??

Basically if I don't like a song/don't want to point it I change the text to red, if i sorta like it but its a bit meh I will make it orange and then the songs I like and want to point get turned to green. The oranges are really just songs that I will point if I don't have enough green songs to fill up my votes but most of the time I do have more than enough happy.gif

+Quote this post
m
post 29th January 2016, 04:40 PM
Post #19
Group icon

QUOTE(ℒ𝓲𝓷⻤ @ Jan 29 2016, 03:57 PM) *
I start by copying the entries into a word document and I work my way through listening to them and do a sort of colour coding system, when isn't colour coding appropriate tbh??

Basically if I don't like a song/don't want to point it I change the text to red, if i sorta like it but its a bit meh I will make it orange and then the songs I like and want to point get turned to green. The oranges are really just songs that I will point if I don't have enough green songs to fill up my votes but most of the time I do have more than enough happy.gif

Ooh, a somewhat creative method *.*

Some people have mentioned how they rate songs lower if they feel they aren't inspired enough. For some reason, I don't think I would ever be able to put myself in the frame of mind to do that - I just go with whatever I like at that time, no matter what. Maybe it helps that I just tend to like "inspired" songs more a lot of the time kink.gif (not always)

I also have never rated a song higher if I think it might not have a good enough chance to qualify.

I guess I just like the idea of getting as accurate of a representation as possible of what people actually like and how much they actually like it. But it's interesting to see different approaches!

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 29th January 2016, 04:42 PM
Post #20
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

It usually takes me a few listenthroughs and I do a ranking in my head, but that just comes to show that it's hard to remember just about every song if your also thinking about rankings. I am revealing this now: this contest will be the first that I will issue ratings.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 12:13 AM