BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'Music' • album discussion, 8th album | 2000
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 8th October 2020, 11:11 AM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Oct 8 2020, 12:08 PM) *
I only just realised after 20 years that the lyric in 'I Deserve It' is "this guy" and not "the sky".

"This guy was meant for me" makes so much more sense! laugh.gif

I think I always knew it to be "this guy" but you saying this has made me doubt myself now! laugh.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 8th October 2020, 12:57 PM
Post #42
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

It’s such a clever lyric considering at the time she was actually with Guy laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 8th October 2020, 03:12 PM
Post #43
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

QUOTE(jlj @ Oct 8 2020, 01:57 PM) *
It’s such a clever lyric considering at the time she was actually with Guy laugh.gif

I never thought of that either! I'm really seeing this song in a whole new dimension today.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 8th October 2020, 05:41 PM
Post #44
Group icon
User: 13,007

'I Deserve It' is incredible and a definite favourite for me on the album. Glad it is receiving renewed life for you right now Aly heart.gif

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 26th January 2021, 02:49 PM
Post #45
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

I've posted reviews for all of Madonna's previous albums in their respective threads & will be doing this next, which will come later this everning...

+Quote this post
Hotlady
post 26th January 2021, 07:18 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 4,586

Music is one of my favrouite song of Madonna. It's just amazing song. heart.gif

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 28th January 2021, 08:38 PM
Post #47
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

My review for Madonna's 8th studio album "Music", enjoy =

Music
The explosive title track & lead single starts this album on an almighty high with its thumping groove & mixes of funk, R&B & electro to make an irresistible dancefloor anthem. Ful of addictive hooks & cutting-edge synth-based production, this was a great way to introduce Madonna into a new decade, making a strong statement. At the time this sounded fresh yet has that familiar pop sound that only she can do, at the same time. However, with trying to get ahead of the trends, this track does sound very of its time, which isn’t a bad thing, as this is still a good strong anthem.

Impressive Instant
A stomping electro club banger that has an interesting fusion of sounds that blends brilliantly, along with an effective use vocoder effect on her vocals that merges with the hectic futuristic production well. Definitely one of the album’s strongest moments & Madonna really wanted this as a single, but the label wanted something else & couldn’t come to an agreement, which is such a shame as this could’ve smashed, imagine what the music video could have looked like.

Runaway Lover
Another decent number with some solid synth beats & strong production by William Orbit, but despite a catchy chorus, it drags on a bit & feels like its missing that something extra that could have pushed it further. However, this is still a fairly good track that works well within’ the context of the album.

I Deserve It
One of the albums most earnest ballads with an interesting contrast of acoustic guitars & hip-hop inflected grooves, nice melodies, along with some decent restrained vocals. An okay number, but not one of the strongest tracks on here.

Amazing
A vibrant offering with incredibly catchy beats with infectious melodies, that yes does bear strong similarities to her own hit ‘Beautiful Stranger’ thanks to that drum loop (which is why Madonna didn’t want this as a single), plus its nowhere near as strong. But still a decent number.

Nobody’s Perfect
This has a lovely dream-like quality to it, that creates an intentionally sombre atmosphere. Madonna’s vocals are full of genuine sorrow & yet mechanically detached at the same time. I love the overall honesty & rawness of this track.

Don’t Tell Me
Opening with that now iconic jagged stop/start guitar riffs, then delving into fractured trip-hop beats that builds and builds, layering some epic strings & country twangs. All of which creates a superb mixture of Electro Country. Not only is this a unique number & the best song on here, but also one of Madonna’s greatest singles of her career.

What It Feels Like for a Girl
Yet another firm album highlight with gorgeous melodies, beautiful rhythms, echoey synths Madonna's warm delivery all complement each other to create a bittersweet ballad with its melancholy yet intimate atmosphere that really draws in with a message that still reigns true to this day. A stunning track overall.

Paradise (Not for Me)
This has a nice chilled out vibe with elements of trance & Madonna’s soft whispering & half chanting in French really gives the whole a thing a relaxing vibe. Although at over 6 minutes the pace becomes very tedious at times, but on the whole a very nice calming experience.

Gone
Depending on which version of the album you have, this on some editions is the album closer & ends things quite nicely. A beautifully written ballad with nice contrasts of acoustic guitars & electronic elements that gives Madonna’s tender vocals room to shine.

American Pie
On International editions this is the album’s final track & I’ve always liked Madonna’s cover of this Don McLean classic, updated here with William Orbit’s swirling synths intertwined with twangy guitars adds a nice touch to the whole thing, & the theme of this does fit the album somewhat & some may feel that this disrupts the album’s flow, but personally I like it.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 29th January 2021, 08:21 AM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

Im still annoyed that this amazing album didnt get a 4th single.

The record company should have let Madonna have her way and release II !!

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 29th January 2021, 08:56 AM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

Incidentally I heard Joe Henry's Stop the other day, thats supposed to be the song Don't Tell Me is based on
the lyrics are the same but the melody is completely different... so Madonna must have changed it a lot, almost made a new song melody-wise

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 29th January 2021, 09:08 AM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(vibe @ Jan 29 2021, 08:21 AM) *
Im still annoyed that this amazing album didnt get a 4th single.

The record company should have let Madonna have her way and release II !!

I read recently that they toyed with the idea of having a double A-side release with 'Amazing' and 'Impressive Instant', with the former sent to radio and the latter focused on the clubs. Don't know how true that is but it would make sense and an idea that I would have been happy with!

QUOTE(Bjork @ Jan 29 2021, 08:56 AM) *
Incidentally I heard Joe Henry's Stop the other day, thats supposed to be the song Don't Tell Me is based on
the lyrics are the same but the melody is completely different... so Madonna must have changed it a lot, almost made a new song melody-wise

Have you heard the song 'Sepheryn' that 'Ray of Light' is based on? Similar case to 'Don't Tell Me' where Madonna transformed the song into her own, although the melody the verses are the same:

+Quote this post
vibe
post 29th January 2021, 12:45 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

^ not heard that before

Only Madonna wanted II
Company wanted Amazing

So single was scrapped and Madonna removed Amazing from Drowned World Setlist.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 29th January 2021, 01:05 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Yeah I hadn't heard it either, could just be a fan theory but I do like the idea. I'm definitely team 'Impressive Instant' though, it would have been such a unique song in Madonna's singles discography and could have had a bonkers music video. The album had already sold bucketloads by this point so they didn't need another 'radio-friendly' single if that's what the concern was.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 29th January 2021, 01:36 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

^ exactly

couldnt agree more

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 31st January 2021, 11:59 AM
Post #54
Group icon

The lack of an 'Impressive Instant' video is definitely the biggest upset at it not being a single. IMAGINE what it would have been life drama.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 24th February 2021, 01:01 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

21 February marked 20 years since Madonna opened the Grammys with 'Music'. She was nominated for three awards but sadly no wins.

I do like the video clips of past music videos being shown, it obviously fits with the message of the song but also felt like the first time Madonna had properly acknowledged her legacy.

On 26 February 2001, Madonna won her first BRIT Award! She had previously been nominated seven times.

Love this skit she did as an acceptance speech! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 8th March 2021, 08:42 PM
Post #56
Group icon

1. Don't Tell Me
2. Music
3. Impressive Instant
4. Runaway Lover
5. I Deserve It
6. What It Feels Like for a Girl
7. Amazing
8. American Pie
9. Gone
10. Nobody's Perfect
11. Paradise (Not for Me)

One of Madonna's most triumphant, empowering songs comes in my favourite from the album. Don't Tell Me hasn't always been an M highlight, but over the years it has continued to grow and dig into my brain, cementing itself as one of the most essential songs from her back catalogue. It's a combination of the pounding beat, the beautifully powerful lyrics, the choice images she creates throughout, the vision of the music video whenever I hear the song, and the blinding production that make this as great as it is. It has such a replayable value and as it hits, just after halfway through the album it breathes new life into it and is the perfect segue into the final section of the album.

The title track is the perfect album & era opener. After the mystical nature of the era that preceeded it, she came back all-guns blazing, ready to dance and boogie away. I love how simple the song is - there are no tricks or gimmicks, it's just feel good music about the power of.. music! Impressive Instant is the most bonkers Madonna song (at least up until this point in her career) and yet it works expertly as showcasing a completely different side to her. I almost see it as an explosion of music with everything + the iamspamspamamisink being thrown in to show how beautifully manic songs can be. Runaway Lover is another album track highlight (this album has many). I love how it brings the energy down slightly, but still has a great energy to it.

I Deserve It slows things down even more and it's a beautiful, enchanting song that always draws me in. There is something about the mysterious lyrics, Madonna's quite plain vocal delivery, and then the whirling, swirling production around it all that creates a completely magical and transcendant experience. What It Feels Like For A Girl is an odd one for me; at times I enjoy it, at others I find it boring and/or annoying. It's definitely not a favourite of mine and there are far stronger choices on the album that I'd have love to have received single treatment, but we did get the remix and quite a great video for this regardless so I won't begrudge it too much - as I said, half of the times, I really warm to the song's vulnerability.

Amazing is quite throwaway and very ~tame~ compared to most other moments on the album, but its innocent charm is what I like about it. A very simple message of love delivered in a carefree and joyous way. Not ground-breaking, but still a fun listen. Madonna's cover of American Pie works decently on this album. It's not a shining number but it's a great cover and Madonna adds her charm to it. Gone reflects Madonna's strength against those that want her to change - a narrative we know all too well with her. I adore how the production is both acoustic and electronic and it's what this album does so well. Nobody's Perfect is the first song that I could skip on the album - it is by no means a bad song, and it's a great addition to the album in terms of sound and lyrical content, but some of the vocal effects are quite off-putting for me and it doesn't have the impact of some of the other moments to make it truly stand out. My least favourite on the album is Paradise (Not For Me) - I appreciate how reflective and "meta" the song is. Also the experimental sound is welcoming on the album that already explores many different vibes, so I appreciate its inclusion, it just doesn't appeal to me as much as the others on an already super strong album!

I wasn't quite sure where I'd rank this, but I always know I enjoy it when I hear it. Having given it a listen earlier today, I really think it deserves so much praise. Even having it as 4th here seems like I am downplaying how great it is. I kept flitting between 3rd and 4th places i've left Like A Prayer 3rd because of its impact and the legacy it has crafted for itself even today.

Albums ranking
1. Ray of Light
2. True Blue
3. Like A Prayer
4. Music
5. Erotica
6. Bedtime Stories
7. Madonna
8. Like A Virgin

+Quote this post
vibe
post 8th March 2021, 10:11 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Nobodys Perfect and Paradise would have been at the bottom on first listen, now they are masterpieces !!

+Quote this post
Dante77
post 11th March 2021, 02:04 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 122,900

My thoughts on 'Music' are pretty straight-forward; a pretty decent follow-up to Ray of Light, lighter, more fun (love Mirawais) but with some sublime tracks on it too, and the ballads are untouchable. Happy Memories for me associated with this project; I got to see the promo @ Brixton Academy and I met M for the first time at The Next Best Thing aftershow party, so I'm really fond of this era - the only downside I associate with it, is her marriage to Guy - it always seemed that he dimmed her light. Impressive Instant would have been a brilliant single - M wanted it, but WEA (yet again, got it wrong) and it was sadly never a single. Love it though. My fav tracks in order are:

1. Don’t Tell Me
2. Gone
3. I Deserve It
4. Impressive Instant
5. Paradise Not For Me
6. Runaway Lover
7. Nobody's Perfect
8. Music
9. Amazing
10. What It Feels Like For A Girl
11. American Pie

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 14th March 2021, 06:20 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Among Haus @ Mar 8 2021, 08:42 PM) *
1. Don't Tell Me
2. Music
3. Impressive Instant
4. Runaway Lover
5. I Deserve It
6. What It Feels Like for a Girl
7. Amazing
8. American Pie
9. Gone
10. Nobody's Perfect
11. Paradise (Not for Me)

I think we have the same Top 3, just in a slightly different order!

I can see your point about 'Nobody's Perfect', I think it could have done without the vocal effect or at least be toned down. I do love the middle 8 bit and the outro.

+Quote this post
ChrisJK
post 13th April 2021, 01:14 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 122,015

ALBUM RANKINGS:
6. MUSIC
7. BEDTIME STORIES
8. LIKE A VIRGIN
9. HARD CANDY
10. REBEL HEART
11. MADONNA/THE FIRST ALBUM
12. AMERICAN LIFE
13. MDNA
14. MADAME X

It's been a few weeks since I updated my Madonna album rankings, so I thought I should get back into it and finish this list off.

Just outside the Top 5 and we have Music.

As a follow up to the phenomenal Ray of Light, it was always going to have a tough job and what we got didn't quite knock it out of the ball park for me.

After enjoying American Pie as a link between the two albums, I can remember hearing Music (the single) for the first time and being rather under-whelmed. Of course after a few plays, and getting past having to put up with Ali G in the video, it is now an incredible song and quite a classic in her discography; it certainly set the tone for the direction the album would go in.

Don't Tell Me was a good follow-up, but actually not one of my favourites. In comparison, What It Feels Like For a Girl is one of the best tracks on the album, so I was so pleased it was released as a single. I was disappointed we got the remix for the video but can appreciate what she was trying to do with it.

The rest of the album was a mix of American Life (I Deserve It, Gone) and has me reaching for the skip button. Amazing is very Beautiful Stranger. A couple of the tracks really miss the mark for me (Nobody's Perfect - step away from the vocoder - Paradise (Not For Me)). But Impressive Instant and Runaway Lover are standouts and make for a brilliant 1-2-3 punch to open the record.

As a body of work is gels together very well, but is rather knob-twiddling overkill - much more than ROL was - and was just not quite what I wanted out of her new era at the time. I don't often go back and listen to this one much, I'm afraid, but it's still got enough bangers to take it higher up the list,

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 12:37 AM