BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Pete's EOY Top 100 2019, FINISHED!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
PeteFromLeeds
post 6th December 2019, 08:49 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Right so we're getting into December now and I'm nowhere near finished counting but thought I'd get this open so that the early awards can be handed out and so we finish within the first half of the year again. I'll keep this first post fairly brief and add the long wordy bits in a separate post so people might actually read them but here are the basics:
  • The format stays the same as last year - 100 points for a week at #1, 1 point for a week at #100, up to 300 points can be given or taken away from any song at my discretion and songs still in the chart will have the remainder of their run estimated so they're not unfairly penalised. Also as before, if you were in last year's EOY you can't be in this year's.
  • In a tick I will post my summary of this year in music alongside my list of #1s for you to peruse and realise you don't know any of
  • After that you'll get a 2018 Recap, a Worst Songs Chart, a Mainstream Song of the Year and an Album of the Year, and then the actual thing once I've totted it all up.
Please hype, predict and comment, as much as I like talking to myself I don't really want to spend my time doing it here tongue.gif And most of all enjoy!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 6th December 2019, 08:55 PM
Post #2
Group icon

2019 in Music

I don't really know how to describe how my charts have gone this year other than slowly. It has felt like I've had less hits in general this year, and it really has shown as I've been counting up my songs - we're nearly at the end of the year and I've not even got 100 songs that I think could make my EOY. I'm sure we will by the end but it does feel like the sort of music that excites me is getting nicher and nicher. In terms of chart stats, we had a good number of 4-week #1 singles and even one 5-week #1, and the Kaiser Chiefs also grab the record for the most weeks in the Top 10 before hitting #1 (it got there on its 9th week). We also of course has the yearly Eurovision takeover which made all the songs affected by it have very ACR-esque drops.

My tastes have switched a little bit again, whilst Brit-indie and good dance tracks have still been a success, slower and more serene tracks have continued to grow on me, as well as more quirky and out-there songs. It feels like there's been a bit of everything at the upper end of my chart this year (the exception being rap, although even some of that made the Top 40). At the moment I have an idea of what might be #1, although the truth is it's still in the balance!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 6th December 2019, 09:03 PM
Post #3
Group icon

This Year's #1s:
Walking On Cars - Monster (3wks)
Bantu & Jonas Blue - Roll With Me (ft. Shungudzo & ZieZie) (1wk)
Cavetown - Green (1wk)
*Bantu & Jonas Blue - Roll With Me (ft. Shungudzo & ZieZie) (2wks)
MIKA - Sound of an Orchestra (2wks)
Dido - Hurricanes (1wk)
Foals - Exits (3wks)
Ina Wroldsen & Dynoro - Obsessed (2wks)
Two Door Cinema Club - Talk (2wks)
Sam Martin - Sabotage (4wks)
Zala Kralj & Gasper Santl - Sebi (1wk)
Walk Off the Earth - Mike's Song (5wks)
AURORA - The Seed (4wks)
Kaiser Chiefs - Record Collection (1wk)
Leon Else - Signs (2wks)
Lost Frequencies - Sun Is Shining (1wk)
Cavetown - Home (4wks)
Fall Out Boy - Dear Future Self (ft. Wyclef Jean) (3wks)
Cavetown - Telescope (1wk)
Cerrone - The Impact (2wks)
*Cavetown - Telescope (3wks)
Justin Jesso - Bigger Than (ft. SeeB) (1+wks)

That gives us 20 #1 singles, once again a decrease from the 26 we had last year.

+Quote this post
danG
post 7th December 2019, 11:46 AM
Post #4
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

looking forward to this as always, although like me as you say your taste has certainly got a lot less chart oriented so I probably won't know most of the songs here tongue.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 9th December 2019, 11:53 AM
Post #5
Group icon

QUOTE(dancember @ Dec 7 2019, 11:46 AM) *
looking forward to this as always, although like me as you say your taste has certainly got a lot less chart oriented so I probably won't know most of the songs here tongue.gif

Yeah, hopefully there will be at least a decent number of songs we both know in here - thanks Dan!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 9th December 2019, 12:00 PM
Post #6
Group icon

2018 Recap

1 Amy Shark - I Said Hi
2 Owl City - Lucid Dream
3 Snow Patrol - Don't Give In
4 Rudimental - Toast To Our Differences
5 HUMAN - ROBOT
6 Mahmut Orhan & Colonel Bagshot - 6 Days
7 Wallows - These Days
8 Suzi Island - Show Me The Way
9 Built by Titan - Broken Love (ft. Starxs)
10 Lukas Graham - Not a Damn Thing Changed

So last year we had the wonderful Amy Shark at #1, our second female EOY #1 in a row despite the fact that she was the only female lead in the Top 39 last year oops. She did release a single that went Top 10 in my chart this year however it was fairly flash-in-the-pan as it had already charted as an album track so whether it makes it into the Top 100 or not is yet to be seen. All the artists from #3 to #6 either didn't release anything this year or only had a minor hit, leaving Wallows, Suzi Island and Built By Titan as the artists which will probably get a song in the EOY this time round. Even Lukas Graham with their comeback single might miss out, there's a first for everything ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 9th December 2019, 01:05 PM
Post #7
Group icon

Worst Songs of 2019:
As usual, we've had our fair share of bad songs this year. In fact, bad songs have become so normal that it takes something absolutely excruciating to make this Top 5 as most of the songs just fall into an abyss of bland sameness. I do have 5 horrors to share with you, and as with last year any songs by murderers, rapists or anyone else who should be in prison are omitted.

#5: Krept & Konan ft. WizKid - G Love

By the second half of this year, pretty much any bad song went in one ear and out the other so it had to take something special for me to really take notice. For this one, it was lyrics such as 'wanna put something in your ovaries' what caught me. And they deliberately mis-pronouce 'ovaries' so that it rhymes with 'eyes' (and supposedly 'knives as well even though it doesn't really rhyme). It's been three whole years since WizKid's last appearance in the Worst Songs chart, so why Krept & Konan decided to dig him up from the grave of having the joint fourth most weeks at #1 this decade despite only having one Top 40 hit is beyond me. The music video for this song involves the singers surrounded by lots of ladies shaking their bums around.

#4: D-Block Europe - Home *****

I'm still not really understanding why they want to block Europe, but this group continue to be the most consistently bad UK urban not-urban-but-I-don't-actually-know-what-category-they-fall-into act. Anyway, as much as I want to think this is a song about buying cats, it's probably about sex (and I'm not going to delve any further into that). Kitchen Kings was initially in my bottom 5, however it's actually a bit catchy so I gave the honour to this dirge instead, even though the former has even more questionable lyrics. The music video for this song also involves the singers surrounded by lots of ladies shaking their bums around.

#3: Flipp Dinero - Leave Me Alone

The title of this song is what I think every time I hear it. When I nominated this for the Hatechart I was sure it would be near the top and I certainly didn't expect to be the only person nominating it (it might partly be to do with the fact that it was released in May 2018 but it didn't chart here until the end of that year). There is genuinely nothing in this song to get excited about, it's just him (I'm presuming it's a him anyway, I've yet to meet a baby called Flipp so I can't be entirely sure) not being very tuneful for three minutes. The music video for this song involves the singer surrounded by lots of ladies shaking their bums around, although this time the ladies actually stick their bums in his face so he can touch them. Weird.

#2: Blueface - Thotiana

First off, this guy definitely doesn't have a blue face (unless I'm colourblind, which let's face it I might be. Maybe half the population has a blue face and I've just not noticed). This song is much of a muchness with Leave Me Alone in the fact that it's completely tuneless and the guy can't sing, the reason I put this one ahead it because apparently it's slightly more degrading to women. I mean the thumbnail of the video has him grabbing the naked bottom of a woman he has flung over his shoulder (at least I assume it's a woman, we never see her head so it might just be a young man wearing knickers. Or a headless corpse). The rest of the music video for this song involves the singer surrounded by lots of ladies shaking their bums around.

#1: Russ & Tion Wayne - Keisha & Becky

(rip cover design competition)

Sometimes I wonder how the process of coming up with a chorus works. Obviously it's the main focus of the song so there must be a lot of effort, multiple songwriters, plenty of reviewing and listening to different versions to make sure that the finished product is absolutely perfect. Take this song for example - after all of that effort, reviewing, checking and making sure they have produced the absolute best they could, they release the song with their masterpiece:

very,
sexy,
...Keisha

Bec-kee,
mmm,mmm,mmm,mmm,mmm,mmm,mmm,mmm

I still can't get my head around this. Was more than four words too difficult for them so they gave up and just hummed the rest? To add insult to injury, they couldn't even get their four words in time with the tune, a skill that even basic primary school music teaches is essential. Add that to some very bland verses which are spiced up only by the random shouting of OH MY GOSH, LOOK AT THAT BUMPER! and we have our worst song of the year. But of course we need to mention the remix featuring a bunch of people who are probably already in this Top 5 somewhere, which somehow makes the song even worse with lyrics such as Pretty girl, shake up you bum bum / Don't have sex without condoms. I mean yeah that advice makes sense, but in the middle of a song? And naturally, the music video for this song involves the singers surrounded by lots of ladies shaking their bums around.

Let's add our winner to the Hall of Fame:

Hall of Fame
2014: Bars & Melody - Hopeful
2015: Drake - Hotline Bling
2016: Drake - Controlla
2017: Post Malone ft. Quavo - Congratulations
2018: Tyga ft. Offset - Taste
2019: Russ & Tion Wayne - Keisha & Becky

We have our first UK-based 'winner' since Bars and Melody in 2014, both at different ends of the rap spectrum but both equally as bad.

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 9th December 2019, 03:59 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

I'm excited for this.
Let's start with the worst songs, agree with all of them!
Also, quick tip, rather than put your worst list winner into the Hall of Fame, you should've put it into the Hall of Shame!
Either way, I'm hyped for your best lists!

+Quote this post
danG
post 9th December 2019, 04:16 PM
Post #9
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

well at least only one of your Worst 5 is actually a song in my EOY this year, even if it's your #1. tongue.gif

also looks like the key to making a song you dislike is having ladies shaking their bums in the MV kink.gif in which case I'm surprised Opp Thot isn't here too as the worst offender for excessive bum shaking this year.

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 9th December 2019, 09:05 PM
Post #10
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

Not a huge fan of the songs on your Bottom 5, though Thotiana is weirdly amusing.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 9th December 2019, 09:18 PM
Post #11
Group icon

QUOTE(Snowjdords @ Dec 9 2019, 03:59 PM) *
I'm excited for this.
Let's start with the worst songs, agree with all of them!
Also, quick tip, rather than put your worst list winner into the Hall of Fame, you should've put it into the Hall of Shame!
Either way, I'm hyped for your best lists!

I could put them in a Hall of Shame but that would ruin the consistency amongst the minor positions tongue.gif Plus they do have their own sort of fame, even if it's not exactly in a good way - thanks Sergej!

QUOTE(dancember @ Dec 9 2019, 04:16 PM) *
well at least only one of your Worst 5 is actually a song in my EOY this year, even if it's your #1. tongue.gif

also looks like the key to making a song you dislike is having ladies shaking their bums in the MV kink.gif in which case I'm surprised Opp Thot isn't here too as the worst offender for excessive bum shaking this year.

I don't think I've actually heard Opp Thot! Radio 1 weren't keen on playing it and I wasn't going out of my way to listen to it after how people described it, if I did it could very possibly have made the list - thanks Dan!

QUOTE(SantaDalek32 @ Dec 9 2019, 09:05 PM) *
Not a huge fan of the songs on your Bottom 5, though Thotiana is weirdly amusing.

It's just weird in my opinion kink.gif Thanks Dalek!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 9th December 2019, 09:35 PM
Post #12
Group icon

Mainstream Song of the Year: Avicii ft. Aloe Blacc - SOS

It's not been a great year for the Official Top 20, with only 3 songs making my Top 10 and this the only one to make the Top 5. I'll leave a longer commentary later on in my EOY but this was a really touching tribute, and despite having a sub-par drop it does really remind me of the old Avicii and it certainly deserved the success it recieved.

Mainstream Song of the Year: Hall of Fame
1999: Fatboy Slim - Praise You
2000: Madison Avenue - Don't Call Me Baby
2001: Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head
2002: DJ Sammy & Yanou ft. Do - Heaven
2003: Room 5 - Make Luv
2004: Eric Prydz - Call On Me
2005: Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good On the Dancefloor
2006: Scissor Sisters - I Don't Feel Like Dancin'
2007: MIKA - Grace Kelly
2008: Basshunter ft. DJ Mental Theo's Bassheadz - Now You're Gone
2009: Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling
2010: Taio Cruz - Dynamite
2011: LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem (ft. Lauren Bennett & GoonRock)
2012: PSY - Gangnam Style
2013: Ylvis - The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?)
2014: DJ Fresh & Jay Fay ft. Ms. Dynamite - Dibby Dibby Sound
2015: Jess Glynne - Don't Be So Hard On Yourself
2016: Lukas Graham - 7 Years
2017: JP Cooper - September Song
2018: Dean Lewis - Be Alright
2019: Avicii ft. Aloe Blacc - SOS

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 10th December 2019, 01:52 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

I actually really like all of your top 5 worst songs of the year kink.gif

Home P***y, Keisha & Becky & Thotiana will all be in my top 100 but Leave Me Alone will probably just miss out.

On a more positive note, I'm a big fan of some of the songs you have named as your mainstream song of the year. Especially Basshunter, Ylvis, PSY & Arctic Mokeys.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 10th December 2019, 10:01 PM
Post #14
Group icon

QUOTE(LewisGT @ Dec 10 2019, 01:52 PM) *
I actually really like all of your top 5 worst songs of the year kink.gif

Home P***y, Keisha & Becky & Thotiana will all be in my top 100 but Leave Me Alone will probably just miss out.
On a more positive note, I'm a big fan of some of the songs you have named as your mainstream song of the year. Especially Basshunter, Ylvis, PSY & Arctic Mokeys.

Oops, I can't pretend they're not that bad as they're in my Worst Songs list kink.gif Glad you're a fan of some of my mainstream songs though - thanks Lewis!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 10th December 2019, 10:18 PM
Post #15
Group icon

Album of the Year: Walking on Cars - Colours

Charting Songs from This Album:
01 Monster
04 Coldest Water
07 Too Emotional
17 When We Were Kids
19 One Last Dance
22 Waiting on the Corner
23 Two Straight Lines
27 Somebody Else
87 Pieces of You

Absolutely no competition this year, there was one stellar album and this was it. I had been awaiting the return of Walking on Cars since their last single in 2016, and when it finally came, Monster wasn't the awesome smash I was expecting it to be, but it was still a tune. It was when the album came out that I really got excited, as there are so many gems on there, and they didn't seem to grow old either as they spent week after week in my chart. I can't even think of any albums which have come remotely close to matching this one, it has just stood out so much. Four tracks from this album made the Top 100 and a few more are just outside.

Hall of Fame
2014: Nico & Vinz - Black Star Elephant
2015: Avicii - Stories
2016: Lukas Graham - Lukas Graham
2017: Declan McKenna - What Do You Think About The Car?
2018: Amy Shark - Love Monster
2019: Walking on Cars - Colours

And we're on track for starting the real thing tomorrow!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 11th December 2019, 02:33 PM
Post #16
Group icon

Honourable Mentions:

130. John Gibbons & Franklin - A Spaceman Came Travelling (ft. Nina Nesbitt) (233pts)
NE (15/12/2018) | 20-1-5-64-xx

The lowest song I actually recorded a chart run for (it would probably be outside my Top 100 if I had tallied up every song in my chart) but I thought I had to give some sort of mention to my Christmas #1 from last year, a great cover and I'm sure it will be on my playlist again this year. It's the only #1 to miss the Top 100 but it's to be expected I guess

125. Lukas Graham - Lie (475pts)
NE (05/10/2019) | 2-2-8-19-42-70-89-xx

We also get the only Lukas Graham entry out of the way pretty quickly, whilst it charted high initially because it's by the best band of all time it was quite the disappointment and fell out of my chart prematurely. Their new Christmas single is much better though so maybe that will make the Top 100 next week.

123. New Politics - Ozone (518pts)
NE (28/10/2019) | 7-6-12-20-32-57-75-...

For the second year in a row, New Politics have managed a Top 10 hit yet fail to break the EOY Top 100. It's a fun song and much better than Comeback Kid which wasn't the best comeback really but didn't stand out enough to make a lasting impact in my chart.

113. Walking on Cars - Too Emotional (663pts)
NE (20/04/2019) | 25-12-7-12-15-39-43-66-74-95-62-99-xx

I'm pretty disappointed this missed the Top 100 as it's another amazing tune from the album which I've already described as beautiful, this song really took a hit from the Eurovision takeover and never really gained back control, I couldn't really justify putting it in my Top 100 when 4 other songs were there already though.

111. MEDUZA ft. Goodboys - Piece of Your Heart (686pts)
NE (20/04/2019) | 13-7-12-16-18-29-25-47-71-86-xx

The third-highest mainstream song this year, this really hit me and I was delighted to see it peak so high in the charts. Sadly it did what every overplayed song does and wore off on me fairly quickly, and the follow-up wasn't really my thing.

110. Amy Shark - Mess Her Up (708pts)
NE (28/07/2018) | 54-60-33-31-46-70-xx
RE (09/03/2019) | 15-10-7-16-18-22-37-46-54-77-xx

As I said whether this made it or not was in the balance, and sadly it didn't make the cut. It's an amazing tune but having played it before meant that I couldn't fall in love with it as much as I did the first time which meant that its second run was unfortunately short-lived.

+Quote this post
danG
post 11th December 2019, 10:48 PM
Post #17
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

Great to see Meduza get an honourable mention, they will be very high up my chart.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 12th December 2019, 01:47 PM
Post #18
Group icon

Honourable Mentions:

106. CamelPhat & Jake Bugg - Be Someone (767pts)
NE (08/06/2019) | 42-42-37-39-37-19-21-29-45-54-64-72-74-82-91-xx

The first CamelPhat song to reach my Top 40 since Cola, this is a real tune and Jake Bugg's vocals fit a catchy dance beat like this one just so well. Really disappointed this missed the Top 40 after the chart success of CamelPhat but glad it still managed a decent run in the Top 100.

102. Martin Smith - Iron Lung (785pts)
NE (22/06/2019) | 45-40-32-32-34-33-37-48-48-54-59-76-91-xx

The three songs from 100 - 102 all got the same number of points so sadly two of them had to miss out. You've probably not heard this one but it's a brilliant worship song, done in a very different way to the usual and the lyrics reflecting the story of his birth really turn this into a really good track musically.

101. Saara Aalto - Dance Like Nobody's Watching (785pts)
NE (09/03/2019) | 26-14-8-14-16-24-38-47-59-79-xx

And so just missing out on the Top 100 we have Saara Aalto with her comeback single. There's apparently a dance-y version of this but I really wanted to hear some more female-vocal ballads and this hit the mark perfectly. Sadly it didn't stick around for too long but it's still something I'd happily come back to.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 12th December 2019, 01:54 PM
Post #19
Group icon

QUOTE(dancember @ Dec 11 2019, 10:48 PM) *
Great to see Meduza get an honourable mention, they will be very high up my chart.

Thanks Dan - certainly a fab song, looking forward to seeing where it finishes for you.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 12th December 2019, 01:54 PM
Post #20
Group icon

(let's start the Top 100 on a new page wink.gif )

+Quote this post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 03:38 PM