BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Kylie Minogue | Cancelled Singles, UPDATED 08/09/2019 with some new info on Pg 2
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post Aug 22 2018, 12:48 AM
Post #1
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Getting Closer [Kylie (Re-Release)]

This was originally recorded in 1985 by 'Haywoode', and was felt to fit the bill nicely as the follow up to "Locomotion" in 1987, with its soulful vibe that appealed to Kylie herself, but was cancelled in favour of "I Should Be So Lucky" and therefore appeared as a B-side, due to despite having 2 versions of the track recorded one for the UK and the other for Australia, and yet neither treatment was deemed strong enough for a single treatment.

Made in Heaven [B-Side to 'Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi & It's No Secret]

Meant to be released as a double a-side with "Je Ne Sais Pas Pourqoui" with the intention of promoting this track first and then flipping the promo to the brand-new song. But the switch didn't happen due to the former becoming so popular on its own and therefore wasn't necessary and instead it was just classed as the B-side.

It's No Secret [Kylie]

This was meant to be released internationally as the 5th single from "Kylie" but was withdrawn from the UK and Australia in favour of a new track "Hand on Your Heart" and the decision was made to rather begin a new era, rather than release another single. However, the song was given a release in the USA as the albums 3rd single, and a few select other countries where it only scored minor success.

I'm Over Dreaming (Over You) [Enjoy Yourself]

Was considered to be released as the third single from "Enjoy Yourself" but was shelved in favour of "Never Too Late” and was even deemed by Mike Stock as the Kylie track he felt should have been a single. The song was later released as a B-Side to "Better The Devil You Know", in a remixed form.

Enjoy Yourself [Enjoy Yourself]

Kylie really wanted the title track as a single from the album, but the decision was overruled by Pete Waterman and other tracks got chosen over it instead.

What Do I Have To Do (Original Version) [Rhythm of Love]

Initially planned as the 2nd single from "Rhythm of Love", originally produced as a full 12" version and unusually first mixed by Tony King who had up to this point only did remixes to PWL songs after their initial pop versions had been completed. But after the lukewarm reception it received within the PWL building after it's premiere on Pete Waterman's Radio City show in August 1990. It was pushed back to third to be re-worked, and "Step Back In Time" was released instead.

Rhythm of Love [Rhythm of Love]

Another time Kylie wanted to release the title track as a single from the album, but again the decision was overruled by Pete Waterman.

Finer Feelings [Let's Get To It]

Originally intended to be the 2nd single from "Let's Get To It", but was held back in favour of "If You Were With Me Now" as a safer option due to the underperformance of the lead single "Word Is Out", and was eventually released as the 4th and final single and given a slight remix from it's original album form titled 'The Brothers In Rhythm' mix.

Celebration [Greatest Hits]

Okay this is not a cancelled single, but it was originally recorded for inclusion on "Let's Get To It", but was held back for the "Greatest Hits" album and to released as Kylie's final single for PWL.

If I Was Your Lover [Kylie Minogue]

Planned as the follow up to "Confide In Me" in the USA and then everywhere else if successful and was even remixed to give it a more Urban appeal. But after the contract for the U.S. fell through due to bankrupty, the release was shelved and instead "Where Is The Feeling" got released as the 3rd single.

Where Is The Feeling (Album Version) [Kylie Minogue]

Originally intended to be released as the 2nd single from "Kylie Minogue", but was postponed in favour of "Put Yourself In My Place", and was then scheduled to be released in April '95, but was delayed again until July while Kylie completed filming on the movie "Bio-Dome", and was then radically remixed from it's original album version and in the end due to so many delays it ended up having a reduced format of only having one CD release due to new chart regulations, as well as lack of public attention by this point.

Time Will Pass You By [Kylie Minogue]

This was planned as the final single from the album and remixes were commissioned, the 'Paul Masterson Mix' being one of them. Instead this ended up being scrapped in favour of the collaboration with Nick Cave "Where The Wild Roses Grow" which was released in late 1995. As well as a lack of public attention towards the album when it had fallen off the charts several months prior, making it pretty much dead and buried, so therefore all future plans for the album was cancelled.

Limbo [Impossible Princess]

Handpicked by Kylie herself as the lead single for the album: However the label were horrified with the idea of such a dark hardcore dance track to represent the album and persuaded Kylie to extend the recording sessions for the album and got her to work with James Dean Bradfield; this resulted in the track "Some Kind of Bliss" being chosen for the lead. Instead the song got chosen as the B-Side to 'SKOB'. Her creative director Steve Anderson believed that either 'Too Far' or 'Jump' were better choice before the decision was made final.

Too Far [Impossible Princess]

After popular demands towards this track and it's 'Brothers In Rhythm' remix, this prompted the label to announce this as the 5th overall and final single from "Impossible Princess", remixes were already commissioned and very few test pressing vinyl's were done to be sent out to clubs to start promotion. However all plans were cancelled in order to release the "Mixes" album and terminate Kylie’s contract with Deconstruction as soon as possible; a remix of "Too Far" was released as a promotional only single in May 1998.

Your Disco Needs You [Light Years]

At first considered as the lead single of "Light Years", but was discarded in favour of "Spinning Around", and was then considered as the 4th single but was shelved by Parolophone due to the song's campness and to avoid Kylie being further stereo-typed and ruled out in favour of 'Please Stay' which caused controversy among fans in the UK and even sparked protests outside her UK record company. It did end up having a limited release in other countries such as Australia as the 5th and final single there and Germany.

Butterfly [Light Years]

This was also in consideration for the 4th release from "Light Years", but due to its strong club influences it was pulled in favour of the more radio friendly "Please Stay". However Mark Pichotti remixed the track and issued it in the USA through his own label Blue2, where it became a hit on the 'Billboard Dance Charts' and peaked at #14 on the 'US Dance Club Songs' chart in March 2001.

Under The Influence of Love [Light Years]

After Kylie's A&R opposed the idea of going with strong standout tracks for release in favor of safe radio friendly choices, "Under the Influence of Love" was picked as the follow up single to "Kids"; Kylie recorded radio intros for the track announcing it as her new single during the Light Years promo interview, it was also included on a Parlophone release plan, but it was scrapped going with "Please Stay" instead.

Fever [Fever]

This was briefly considered to be released as the 4th single from the album of the same name in Australia, but wound up being a promotional radio release in Australia only and 'Come Into My World' was being released elsewhere due to its popularity & favoured by the label and given a remix for it's single release.

Burning Up [Fever]

This was briefly considered to be a possible 5th single from the "Fever" album, but nothing came of it as the era came to an official end with the last single "Come Into My World" and therefore wasn't needed.

Chocolate [Ft Ludacris] [Body Language]

Originally intended to be a collaboration with Ludacris, but was released without him, though his vocals are still in the into of the song and the rap was used on another of his collaborations. It was also considered for a possible lead single until "Slow" appeared.

City Games [B-Side to 'Chocolate']

This was rumoured to be released as the lead single from "Body Language" for the American market, along with a fake album review listing of an album of the same name, but nothing ever came off it and this didn't even make the final version of the album, only as a B-Side to "Chocolate".

Sometime Samurai [Ft Towa Tei]

Plans for a UK release of this were cancelled due to Kylie's breast cancer diagnosis along with plans to release the track in Japan, where it remained a promotional single only.

In My Arms [X]

Originally meant to be the lead single from "X", but due to the demo of the song leaked online, it was replaced by "2 Hearts" instead and later ended up being released as the 2nd European single and 3rd UK/Australian single from the album.

Wow [X]

Announced as the lead single in the USA, but was replaced by the more Urban sounding "All I See" instead. This was also considered alongside "Like A Drug" as the lead single from the "X", but again "2 Hearts" was chosen instead.

The One [X]

Announced as the 4th single and final single from the "X" with a release in April/May 2008, but was delayed and given a Freemasons remix and ended up with a much scaled down release than planned, by cancelling it's physical release and having it released as a digital download release only.

Too Much [Aphrodite]

Originally planned as the lead single from her "Aphrodite" album in its early stages and was even kept in mind for a possible future release when recording sessions were extended, but plans were scrapped when "All The Lovers" got recorded and released instead as the lead single.

Put Your Hands Up (If You Feel Love) [Aphrodite]

Also considered as a possible lead single from "Aphrodite", but it was then moved to 3rd, then pushed again to 4th in favour of "Better Than Today" which underperformed and initially led to all future release plans for the album to be cancelled. But eventually her U.S label 'Astralwerks' had the song remixed and given a limited release as the album's final single.

Cupid Boy [Aphrodite]

Planned to be the album's 4th single with already commissioned remixes waiting for its turn. But when 'Better Than Today' underperformed it was frozen with all the other upcoming plans for the album. Warner considered the idea to service some of the mixes to Australian clubs to go along with the arrival of the Aphrodite: Les Folies Tour, but the idea was ditched. Eventually some of the remixes made it on the "Put Your Hands Up (If You Feel Love) and Aphrodite Les Folies Tour Edition releases.

Can't Beat The Feeling [Aphrodite]

In line to be the album's 5th single, but due to the unplanned and underperformance of 'Better Than Today', all plans were frozen along with remixes known to exist.

Sexercise [Kiss Me Once]

Considered for the lead single from "Kiss Me Once", with a 2013 release date and a rumoured feature of rapper Brooke Candy, However "Into The Blue" was chosen instead with this track becoming a promotional single only.

Mr President [Kiss Me Once]

Kylie wanted the song to be released as a single from "Kiss Me Once", but Parlophone didn't even want it to be on the album, which is why it ended up as a bonus track. The song was also meant to be part of the set list for the Kiss Me Once Tour, but ended up being discarded; despite this, elements of the song can be heard during the performances of "Can't Get You Out of My Head".

Beautiful [Ft Enrique Igelesias] [Kiss Me Once]

Originally released in Australia and New Zealand as a promotional single from "Kiss Me Once" and was then in the running to be the album's 2nd single, but was pushed aside in favour of "I Was Gonna Cancel" and was again considered to be the 3rd single, but ended up being delayed due to several reasons firstly because neither Kylie's or Enrique's schedules matched and plus the flop performance of the 2nd single, cancelled all plans for any future releases.

Sexy Love [Kiss Me Once]

"Sexy Love" was slated to be the 3rd physical single from "Kiss Me Once", announced on 6 June 2014. . It was released to Australian radio the same day as a promotional single, but no digital or physical release materialized. Probably due to the flop of 'I Was Gonna Cancel'.

So guys please give your opinions on these tracks and tell me what do you think of what could have been.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Sep 28 2019, 05:34 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 22 2018, 01:22 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
Very interesting post and a great read.I really wish some of the plans for the IP and Light Years singles went ahead and also with Enjoy Yourself.

+Quote this post
Monzo
post Aug 22 2018, 08:42 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 349
Thanks for sharing so much information I haven't heard about before!

I love I'm Over Dreaming, but I guess Never Too Late was the better choice as a single, better for radio and sing-a-long.

Since Rhythm Of Love was released after single no 2 I think Step Back In Time was the right choice. What Do I Have To Do would have turned some buyers away, I guess...

After Word Is Out missed top ten Finer Feelings would have been a diseaster. They needed If You Were With Me Now & Give Me Just A Little More Time (a classic ballad and a cover) to bring back some buyers and gladly it worked.

Some Kind Of Bliss really turned me off back then. Limbo is my favorite non-single from Impossible Princess so Limbo being lead single would be huge for me, but I guess in sales it could have been worse that SKOB.

Light Years was doing so great, they didn't need to release a cover, so it's good they kept Under The Influence Of Love an album track.

I still wonder how Your Disco Needs You would have done in the UK instead of Please Stay, but I doubt it would have charted higher. Too many people would have called it stupid, PS was a safer bet for radio airplay.

2 Hearts received more attention that In My Arms could ever had, so I'm fine with this choice for lead single.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Aug 22 2018, 09:22 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
A really interesting read, thank you for this!

Are most of these factual?

I thought the proposed Brooke Candy track was a song with a different title which didn't end up making the Kiss Me Once tracklist (though I forget what it was called now, need to check).

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 22 2018, 12:40 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
If getting closer was picked ahead of I should be so lucky I don't think kylie would have had the career she had,I should be so lucky was the right choice and looking back little did kylie know how much it would mimic her own love life cry.gif

+Quote this post
pippa
post Aug 22 2018, 01:44 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
This is such an informative read and a great insight to previous decisions.
I welcome Kylie wanting Enjoy Yourself to be a single, and it is something i believe should have gone ahead even as a fifth single.
Moving Finer Feelings was certainly the right choice, it would have been a disaster follow up to Word Is Out and likewise Celebration would have stuck out like a soar thumb on the Lets Get To It album, it was much better matched to the Greatest Hits package.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Aug 22 2018, 01:52 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Break the tension
I'd put forward the suggestion that 'Celebration' shouldn't even exist!

This post has been edited by Tawdry Hepburn: Aug 22 2018, 01:53 PM

+Quote this post
pippa
post Aug 22 2018, 02:45 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
The single version is not great and as a single it wasnt the best move.
However, it is a good song for the tours.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Aug 22 2018, 07:05 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155
So many tragic missed opportunities in that list I don’t know where to start!

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post Aug 22 2018, 07:47 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275
Some of these weren't singles for very good reason, for example Under the Influence of Love which is mediocre Kylie at worst imo.

But Limbo, oh yes, that should've been the first single instead of the song that gave me my username, the album wouldn't done any worse anyway so why not go dark all the way.

+Quote this post
Red Blooded Man
post Aug 23 2018, 04:03 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 822
They should've released Can't Beat the Feeling as the final single instead of the boring "Put your hands up".

And Mr. President should have been released instead of "I was gonna cancel".

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Aug 23 2018, 06:17 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Break the tension
'Can't Beat The Feeling' is like, the most filler track on Aphrodite.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 23 2018, 10:56 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Put your hands up is miles ahead of can't beat the feelING.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Aug 23 2018, 07:08 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Here are my thoughts on some of these, wow there's a lot to get through, I'll probably do this in 2 posts.

Getting Closer: Thank god PWL saw sense and not released this as her 2nd single, because this is definitely B-Side material and otherwise she wouldn’t have had the career she’s had today.

Made In Heaven:This a nice song and everything, but yeah, I do agree that it wasn’t needed to be classed a double a-side, ‘JNSPP’ was far better and stronger than this, and plus what was with the awful music video, I mean it’s like they weren’t even trying.

It's No Secret: Would have been interesting to see how this would have fared and it probably would have been another UK top 5 hit for her at the time. As it stands this is definitely her weakest single from her 80’s run. Dunno why this was considered strong enough for the American market when 'Turn It Into Love' was there on the album screaming to be released instead of that awful Hazel Dean version which nobody remembers.

Enjoy Yourself: Still a fantastic song and holds up pretty well. This could have easily been single #5 and still been a smash hit or at the very least have this as a double A-Side alongside 'Tears On My Pillow', then this could have had a chart topping status. As for 'I'm Over Dreaming (Over You)', which again is another great song that's better left on the album.

If I Was Your Lover: Find this a way better 3rd single than 'WITF', especially in it's radio edit form and along with a cool music video, then this could have shown Kylie progress further into her new sound and style.

Time Will Pass You By: If it wasn't for all them delays thanks to Kylie starring in that awful 'Bio-Dome', then 'WITF' may have stood a better chance and this could have came in the summer time of '95. You can definitely hear the M-People influence on this and it's remixes are really good and it would have been interesting to see how this would have fared.

Where Is The Feeling: In it's original form, this is fine enough and if it didn't get delayed and released in March/April '95, then it could have fared a lot better and not had that un-commercial remix which basically killed it, along with any hope of the album climbing back into the charts.

Limbo: A really good song and a definite standout on the album, but I doubt this would have fared any better than 'SKOB', due to the press and public backlash she was receiving at the time. As it stands it would have been a very interesting choice.

Too Far: Now this would have been a fantastic choice, especially as the 4th single for the UK market and even the live performance on Intimate and Live really makes this shine. However like I already said on the last song, the public just weren't there for her at this point in her career and I doubt that she'd have the radio support for this either and considering how the other singles fared "22-14-14", then this would have probably ended up at top 40 at best, similar position to 'Cowboy Style' in Australia.

Your Disco Needs You: A definite lost classic and again would have been interesting to see how this would have fared in the UK. It charted at #152 on Imports, in the good old days of just sales and no downloads or streaming. If I had my way then maybe a double A-Side alongside 'Please Stay' for X-Mas 2000, and that would have ended the era with an almighty BANG.

Butterfly: A good song, but don't think it would have quite worked as a mainstream single, maybe they should have given this a proper U.S release along with a music video and seen how things would have went from there.

Under The Influence of Love: Better suited as a perfectly great album track.

Fever: I remember at the time wanting this to be the 4th single from that album, and was disappointed when it wasn't, but as time went on I was glad that 'CIMW' was chosen instead as that kept up with the sophisticated run of singles and plus that track has aged far better than this one. Do like the live performances of it on the 'Fever Tour' though.

Burning Up: Again this would have been very interesting to see how this would have fared as single #5 from an already mammoth selling album, plus it shows a different side to the album and the performance of it on 'Fever Tour' were astounding. The era was perfect as it was and if this did get a release in early '03, then it probably would have got lost in the shuffle.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Aug 23 2018, 07:29 PM
Post #15
Group icon
POST #2

The X era was handled horribly from the very start and still think 'The One' should have been the lead single, or at the very least had a proper full scale release with a proper music video and seen how it would have fared then, If lead then I reckon it could have given Kylie her 8th UK #1. As for follow ups - 'Like A Drug', 'Wow' & 'In My Arms', and have 'Speakerphone' as the lead for the American market.

Too Much: A really good catchy and fun danceable number, glad that 'ATL' got recorded, not that this isn't a good track, its better suited to the album, then again 'BTT' did get a release though.

So this is how the 'Aphrodite' could have gone..

"All The Lovers"
"Get Outta My Way"
"Put Your Hands Up (If You Feel Love)"
"Cupid Boy"

Thanks a lot Parolophone, this could have been a great run, instead of the basic 'BTT' messing everything up, this really makes me mad.gif

Sexercise: This was awful as it was and didn't deserve a music video, doubt even the Brooke Candy feature would have done anything to save this terrible mess.

Mr President: Mmmm really unsure whether or not this would have worked as a single, sure its a fun little number that should have been on the main edition of the album and was far better than the cold and basic 'IWGC'.

Beautiful: I remember that this was gonna be the 2nd single, before it got shafted in favour of the already mentioned 'IWGC' which funnily enough did cancel any chances of any more potential from this album. This is also another horrible album track that would have probably tanked as well. But it does sound much better on the 'Kiss Me Once Tour' though and without that awful and cold autotune, which wrecked the song in my opinion.

Sexy Love: Also remember reading somewhere that this was considered as the 3rd worldwide release as well, a fun poppy number that yes is Kylie by numbers, but you've gotta admit it's a lot more fun than 'Beautiful' or even the other dreadful one. However again this would have definitely tanked as well and not the big hit in the waiting as some people at the time thought.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Aug 23 2018, 08:02 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Break the tension
I looked back, the rumoured lead single from KMO in late 2013 was called 'Get It' (feat. Brooke Candy), but this never happened. 'Sexercize' was never anything to do with her.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Sep 9 2018, 01:06 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Thought I'd give this topic a little BUMP!

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Sep 9 2018, 01:18 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Kylie and Enjoy Yourself really had great opportunities to get fifth singles from that i still think would have done well.

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post Sep 10 2018, 06:11 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031
Good choices
Limbo - Could have been incredible!
Time will pass you by - Could have made T10
Butterfly - Would have been fantastic!
Under the influence of love - Another missed opportunity

Bad choices
Getting closer - Too cheesy sounding!
Made in heaven - There’s a reason it was a b side!
It’s no secret - Not strong enough to have done well!
Enjoy yourself - Not suitable single material
If I was your lover - weak single material
Sexercise - Awful
Too much - There would have been better choices like the title track!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Jan 27 2019, 09:10 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Just found some new information and just thought that I'd like to share with Buzzjack...

Disco Down [Light Years]

Another track from the 'Light Years' album that was in the running to be the fourth single and her Australian label Mushroom Records wanted it to be released in Australia, but were persuaded against it.

Alone Again

The Madonna penned track was rumoured to be released as a double a-side release alongside 'Come Into My World', but was scrapped for unknown reasons and the song was eventually used in the 'White Diamond' documentary.

Red Blooded Woman [Body Language]

Originally meant to be released as the lead single from 'Body Language' in the USA, but was pushed to second after the success of 'Slow' in other regions; the rush release affected the stateside success of the album as well as both songs which suffered as a result, with 'Slow' only making a minor dent on the top 100 and 'RBW' not charting at all (only on the Dance charts).

Secret (Take You Home) [Body Language]

This was in the running to be the 2nd single from 'Body Language', alongside 'Red Blooded Woman'; fans were told that one of the two would be released, but not both: this one would be released as a promotional single in Taiwan in 2004.

What You Waiting For (with Sigala) [Brighter Days]

Recorded in 2017 during the early stages of what became 'Golden', the song was set to be released as the lead single before the musical direction changed to a more Country pop sound with 'Dancing' eventually being chosen as the lead single. This was released in late 2018 as part of Sigala's album 'Brighter Days'.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Jan 27 2019, 09:13 PM

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:54 PM