BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Leona Lewis: The Singles Rate!, DEADLINE: Monday 7th of September
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
GTH
post Aug 21 2015, 03:49 PM
Post #21
Gareth T H
Group: Members
Member No.: 10,597
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Joe. @ Aug 21 2015, 01:42 PM) *
I expected an 11 from you, GHT! ohmy.gif

I shall have to make a quick amendment. Leona must be judging me right now. laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
post Aug 21 2015, 04:22 PM
Post #22
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,931

QUOTE(GTH @ Aug 21 2015, 04:49 PM) *
I shall have to make a quick amendment. Leona must be judging me right now. laugh.gif

Haha no worries.

Remember guys. You're allowed THREE 10s as well as ONE 11.

+Quote Post
tintin
post Aug 21 2015, 05:04 PM
Post #23
New Entry
Member No.: 22,365
   No Gallery Pics

UK SINGLES
08 A Moment Like This (Her voice is stunning!!)
10 Bleeding Love (No words needed)
06 Better In Time (Not a fan but I can see why others love it)
09 Footprints in the Sand (Stunning)
06 Forgive Me (This is where the disconnect between her and her songs began)
11 Run (Genius)
10 Happy (One of her best, completely Leona through and through)
08 I Got You (Beautiful)
06 Collide (Great little summer song)
02 Trouble (One of her worst songs, what does she know about being trouble? Public couldn't understand it either)
-1 Lovebird (Should never have made the album, much too young/immature)
10 One More Sleep (Fantastic in every way. Very connectable, very clever)
08 Fire Under My Feet (Great song. Immature lyrics, too Adele)
0 I Am (Every time I hear this song my ears try to like it, but its so GREY)

OVERSEAS AND PROMOTIONAL SINGLES
05 I Will Be (Lovely but its Avril's)
05 Hurt (why did she sing a song about drugs and darkness?! Fail)
09 I See You (Brilliant, she connects with the song and sounds brilliant)
02 Thunder (No idea why she is singing about coming back with the Thunder when she's like a quiet mouse)

This new album I Am is not shaping up to be anything I want from Leona. I don't believe you can come back with an 'empowerment' album, when you haven't actually been through anything serious. As my friend put it "Leona went from a 5 million pound record deal to one of the biggest record labels in the world, my heart bleeds for you Leona". He is right. I can't buy into her story because its lacks so much depth and meaning. Yes she might have felt hurt, yes she may have felt lost, but nobody is going to stop and listen to you because it clearly didn't hurt that much, or last that long! She is getting totally infuriating, I haven't heard a great love song from her since Echo. Everything since has been a mish mash of dodgy pop songs which are never going to become 'classics' or remembered in a years time. What is going on! I appreciate she is writing her own music and this should be encouraged, but the material released so far lacks maturity, depth, atmosphere and uniqueness. Bring back power ballad Leona, that is her brand. She is seen as this demure, shy girl who can easily be broken. Why is she pretending she is otherwise when its written all over her face. At times during American interviews she has looked terrified, she can't hold and interview without stumbling over her words and looking like she wants to cry into a corner. Aside from the hardcore fans who will buy this album no one else is going to jump on board. And it is because she has such a huge disconnect between herself and her music. Like it. hate it, she needs to sell it otherwise there will be no more of it. RUN, BLEEDING LOVE, FOOTPRINTS IN THE SAND, FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE, CANT BREATH, BROKEN, GLASSHEART, ONE MORE SLEEP. There is a reason these songs (and more) are loved outside of her fan base. Because there is no disconnect from her brand.

+Quote Post
Dmdr
post Aug 21 2015, 05:17 PM
Post #24
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 21,348
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(tintin @ Aug 21 2015, 06:04 PM) *
UK SINGLES
11 Run (Genius)
08 I Got You (Beautiful)
02 Trouble (One of her worst songs, what does she know about being trouble? Public couldn't understand it either)

02 Thunder (No idea why she is singing about coming back with the Thunder when she's like a quiet mouse)

This new album I Am is not shaping up to be anything I want from Leona. I don't believe you can come back with an 'empowerment' album, when you haven't actually been through anything serious. As my friend put it "Leona went from a 5 million pound record deal to one of the biggest record labels in the world, my heart bleeds for you Leona". He is right. I can't buy into her story because its lacks so much depth and meaning. Yes she might have felt hurt, yes she may have felt lost, but nobody is going to stop and listen to you because it clearly didn't hurt that much, or last that long! She is getting totally infuriating, I haven't heard a great love song from her since Echo. Everything since has been a mish mash of dodgy pop songs which are never going to become 'classics' or remembered in a years time. What is going on! I appreciate she is writing her own music and this should be encouraged, but the material released so far lacks maturity, depth, atmosphere and uniqueness. Bring back power ballad Leona, that is her brand. She is seen as this demure, shy girl who can easily be broken. Why is she pretending she is otherwise when its written all over her face. At times during American interviews she has looked terrified, she can't hold and interview without stumbling over her words and looking like she wants to cry into a corner. Aside from the hardcore fans who will buy this album no one else is going to jump on board. And it is because she has such a huge disconnect between herself and her music. Like it. hate it, she needs to sell it otherwise there will be no more of it. RUN, BLEEDING LOVE, FOOTPRINTS IN THE SAND, FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE, CANT BREATH, BROKEN, GLASSHEART, ONE MORE SLEEP. There is a reason these songs (and more) are loved outside of her fan base. Because there is no disconnect from her brand.

She is nothing like that now!! She has grown in confidence so much. When was the last time you actually heard or seen a Leona interview? Here is a great funny Graham Norton interview.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01mzz7y
And one from last month, really chilled, relaxed interview.

This post has been edited by Dmdr: Aug 21 2015, 06:21 PM

+Quote Post
Scene
post Aug 21 2015, 05:34 PM
Post #25
This is where you end and I begin
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,567
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(tintin @ Aug 21 2015, 06:04 PM) *
UK SINGLES
11 Run (Genius)
08 I Got You (Beautiful)

But you're assuming her personality is the one that has been projected by Syco and her (former) PR team. She was marketed as the "shy girl with the big voice" on the X Factor to win votes since Simon clearly wanted her as the winner and back then a girl could only stand a chance of winning if they came across as non-threatening to the dominant female audience. Leona is obviously a lovely person and one of the most genuine popstars (like Kelly Clarkson) but she's more or less said herself that she isn't the shy girl Syco made her out to be. You suggest she doesn't know what it is like to be in trouble... how would we know? She doesn't document her life through the press. You ask why she sings a song about drugs and darkness... she's reinterpreted the lyrics in order to relate to them. She's clearly not pretending to sing about drugs. biggrin.gif And most importantly, you say she hasn't "actually been through anything serious". She was depressed, hence the open letter. Regardless of whether the depression was clincal or environmental, it was still depression and it IS serious. Anyway, she's received a lot of criticism in the past for releasing depressing music so it is a nice change to hear her sing about empowerment. Sorry this has turned into a bit of a rant (biggrin.gif) but it annoys me when people say an artist can't sing about something simply because that's not how they are perceived to be by the public. Michael Jackson wasn't really "Bad" - he always came across as a very gentle, sweet-natured human being. Rihanna has a lot of songs about sex but even admitted she doesn't really get the chance to have much sex since she's always so busy. I'm sure there are far more examples but I'll end there.

This post has been edited by SceneofSIXCrimes: Aug 21 2015, 05:37 PM

+Quote Post
Soeplepel
post Aug 21 2015, 05:57 PM
Post #26
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 20,313
   No Gallery Pics

Great post SceneofSIXCrimes, education was needed

+Quote Post
Scene
post Aug 21 2015, 07:08 PM
Post #27
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Soeplepel @ Aug 21 2015, 06:57 PM) *
Great post SceneofSIXCrimes, education was needed

It needed to be said. cool.gif

+Quote Post
tintin
post Aug 21 2015, 08:48 PM
Post #28
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(SceneofSIXCrimes @ Aug 21 2015, 06:34 PM) *
But you're assuming her personality is the one that has been projected by Syco and her (former) PR team. She was marketed as the "shy girl with the big voice" on the X Factor to win votes since Simon clearly wanted her as the winner and back then a girl could only stand a chance of winning if they came across as non-threatening to the dominant female audience. Leona is obviously a lovely person and one of the most genuine popstars (like Kelly Clarkson) but she's more or less said herself that she isn't the shy girl Syco made her out to be. You suggest she doesn't know what it is like to be in trouble... how would we know? She doesn't document her life through the press. You ask why she sings a song about drugs and darkness... she's reinterpreted the lyrics in order to relate to them. She's clearly not pretending to sing about drugs. biggrin.gif And most importantly, you say she hasn't "actually been through anything serious". She was depressed, hence the open letter. Regardless of whether the depression was clincal or environmental, it was still depression and it IS serious. Anyway, she's received a lot of criticism in the past for releasing depressing music so it is a nice change to hear her sing about empowerment. Sorry this has turned into a bit of a rant (biggrin.gif) but it annoys me when people say an artist can't sing about something simply because that's not how they are perceived to be by the public. Michael Jackson wasn't really "Bad" - he always came across as a very gentle, sweet-natured human being. Rihanna has a lot of songs about sex but even admitted she doesn't really get the chance to have much sex since she's always so busy. I'm sure there are far more examples but I'll end there.

I appreciate you're reply but you misunderstand. I've watched Leona very very closely for at least the last 5 years. One more step and I'll be classed as a stalker fan. I know through being completely besotted by her for so long how much she wants this to work. But the fundamentals are all wrong. Who she has been marketed as over the past 8 years is exactly what I have said previously. Sometimes she does indeed come out of her shell, but in honesty, it's not regular and it's not 'known' that she has her wacky fun side. Every time she stepped foot on that Xfactor stage (after she won) she could hardly speak, it's like when put under pressure she can't find the words. She said herself she's a better singer than a speaker. Although she has come a long way that hasn't changed people's perception. She has a long long way to go before the British public see her as we do as dedicated fans. Because we only really see that from YouTube clips. I think people get excited for her to sing, because of her incredible voice. But they don't expect a great song and they don't expect or get a bubbly Leona. Mainly because she doesn't offer that out. Look at her singing Thunder on Kelly and Michael America. She isn't enjoying herself she looks like she's terrified. Why?!! What has she got to be scared about? She's singing about coming back with the THUNDER and with Fire under her feet. For god sake convince us and America of that. Otherwise it looks like she doesn't get what she's singing about. Where was the emotion that fits with the lyrics? Sometimes she completely connects to a song. She gets enveloped in it. Like FTEISYF in Dublin. Amazing!! But It's rare. Next. Her depression, which she said in Stella magazine she definitely wasn't depressed as she wouldn't want to offend people who are. I don't want some deep fan interpretation. I take it as it is. She's obviously hurt and felt used BUT, at face value people aren't going to stop and feel sorry for her. And that's what she needs. In order for people to take on her 'empowerment' and root for her they first have to sympathise. That's hard when she makes it quite clear shes not in much pain at all. No one is asking her to break down, but being so guarded doesn't help. All the interviews I've heard she doesn't say a bad word against anyone it's like HAVE AN OPPINION PLEASE!! Get angry, show us enough to believe this drama. Instead it's just all lovely and she still loves Cowell and Syco. Yawn!! Yawn!! This album was her chance to break the mould and she isn't doing that! At all. I'm sure she isn't oblivious to what the general public think. And she knows she needs them on her side to be commercial but she just can't connect it. Song choices in the past have been insanely off point both lyrically and for her brand. This is the break, her to her brand. She's made herself become this limbo solo artist who is still looking for who she is. And even if she does indeed know who she is, it's not believable because she won't make it believable. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe my marketing knowledge is backward. But I believe this won't connect to the public anymore than Glassheart. I'd bet my bottom dollar that if a poll was put out, the public would want a brilliant deep ballad from her. Not just another ballad, a brilliant one! I hope America takes her back because the UK seem to have had enough. I don't need educating. Don't talk down to me. Thanks.

+Quote Post
Soeplepel
post Aug 21 2015, 09:36 PM
Post #29
BuzzJack Climber
   No Gallery Pics

Why are you always speaking in name of the general public? YOU want a ballad, YOU don't think she's not feeling herself. It's more than obvious people are here for an uptempo Leona, see Another Love Song and I Got You, than a ballad.

Why should she lie about her relation with Simon? She does get along, even Simon said it. Why should she bash him and spread rumours? Leona made it clear she didn't like how she was pushed aside waiting for something to happen and eventually record an album full of covers. And that's not all, there's lots going on behind the scenes. The music industry is far from the good life, lots of "do this otherwise that".

Why do you think she's still looking for herself? She didn't have the chance to develop her as an artist. She comes off the XF as the next Whitney and Mariah so she'll record an album that shows her as the next big diva. I Am will be the first album that shows what Leona is about. If she had no label, this is what she'd release independently because basically she did this on her own with no label involved.

She doesn't look terrified at all, no idea where you're getting that from smh

+Quote Post
post Aug 21 2015, 09:40 PM
Post #30
BuzzJack Legend

Guys if you don't mind we have general Leona thread for these kinds of debates. It doesn't matter if it goes off topic a bit but try to keep to the rate.

This post has been edited by Joe.: Aug 21 2015, 09:40 PM

+Quote Post
Soeplepel
post Aug 21 2015, 09:43 PM
Post #31
BuzzJack Climber
   No Gallery Pics

08 A Moment Like This
10 Bleeding Love
09 Better In Time
08 Footprints in the Sand
07 Forgive Me
11 Run
08 Happy
04 I Got You (The only song I really don't like from Leona)
10 Collide
07 Trouble
06 Lovebird
09 One More Sleep
08 Fire Under My Feet
09 I Am

07 I Will Be
09 Hurt
09 I See You
10 Thunder

+Quote Post
tintin
post Aug 21 2015, 09:43 PM
Post #32
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Soeplepel @ Aug 21 2015, 10:36 PM) *
Why are you always speaking in name of the general public? YOU want a ballad, YOU don't think she's not feeling herself. It's more than obvious people are here for an uptempo Leona, see Another Love Song and I Got You, than a ballad.

Why should she lie about her relation with Simon? She does get along, even Simon said it. Why should she bash him and spread rumours? Leona made it clear she didn't like how she was pushed aside waiting for something to happen and eventually record an album full of covers. And that's not all, there's lots going on behind the scenes. The music industry is far from the good life, lots of "do this otherwise that".

Why do you think she's still looking for herself? She didn't have the chance to develop her as an artist. She comes off the XF as the next Whitney and Mariah so she'll record an album that shows her as the next big diva. I Am will be the first album that shows what Leona is about. If she had no label, this is what she'd release independently because basically she did this on her own with no label involved.

She doesn't look terrified at all, no idea where you're getting that from smh

I think I've said enough about my point. Just hope I've managed to communicate the wider brand problem. She deserves success, but this isn't the way. And I think This will be proved in these album and single sales. They will do the talking. Hope I'm wrong.

+Quote Post
Dmdr
post Aug 21 2015, 10:15 PM
Post #33
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

I don't think she looks terrified in any of her performances, definitely don't see it in the Kelly and Michael one.

+Quote Post
Dmdr
post Aug 21 2015, 10:20 PM
Post #34
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

UK SINGLES
06 A Moment Like This
11 Bleeding Love
09 Better In Time
08 Footprints in the Sand
08 Forgive Me
10 Run
08 Happy
06 I Got You
06 Collide
09 Trouble
05 Lovebird
10 One More Sleep
08 Fire Under My Feet
09 I Am

07 I Will Be
07 Hurt
10 I See You
09 Thunder

This post has been edited by Dmdr: Aug 21 2015, 10:22 PM

+Quote Post
Adam92
post Aug 21 2015, 11:27 PM
Post #35
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 10,752
   No Gallery Pics

UK SINGLES
8.0 A Moment Like This
10.0 Bleeding Love
9.0 Better In Time
9.0 Footprints in the Sand
8.5 Forgive Me
10.0 Run
9.5 Happy
9.0 I Got You
8.5 Collide
7.5 Trouble
7.0 Lovebird
11.0 One More Sleep
9.5 Fire Under My Feet
7.0 I Am

7.0 I Will Be
8.0 Hurt
8.5 I See You
10.0 Thunder

+Quote Post
Scene
post Aug 22 2015, 12:42 AM
Post #36
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(tintin @ Aug 21 2015, 10:43 PM) *
I think I've said enough about my point. Just hope I've managed to communicate the wider brand problem. She deserves success, but this isn't the way. And I think This will be proved in these album and single sales. They will do the talking. Hope I'm wrong.

I've replied to your post in the FireInc thread. As Joe has said, it's best if we move any general discussion to there in future.

+Quote Post
Krusty111
post Aug 22 2015, 11:27 AM
Post #37
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 12,261
   No Gallery Pics

UK SINGLES
9.0 A Moment Like This
11.0 Bleeding Love
8.0 Better In Time
8.5 Footprints in the Sand
8.0 Forgive Me
10.0 Run
8.5 Happy
7.0 I Got You
9.0 Collide
6.5 Trouble
7.5 Lovebird
10.0 One More Sleep
8.5 Fire Under My Feet
8.0 I Am

9.0 I Will Be
8.0 Hurt
8.0 I See You
9.5 Thunder

+Quote Post
post Aug 24 2015, 09:27 AM
Post #38
BuzzJack Legend

Thanks for the rates guys. I've already got 20! Keep them coming.

+Quote Post
Nick F1
post Aug 25 2015, 02:32 PM
Post #39
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 5,392

UK SINGLES
7 A Moment Like This
9 Bleeding Love
10 Better In Time
7 Footprints in the Sand
8 Forgive Me
11 Run
8.5 Happy
8.5 I Got You
6 Collide
7 Trouble
5 Lovebird
8.5 One More Sleep
5.5 Fire Under My Feet
8.5 I Am
7 I Will Be
7 Hurt
8.5 I See You
7.5 Thunder

+Quote Post
Leonagwen
post Aug 25 2015, 10:56 PM
Post #40
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 21,797
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Nick F1 @ Aug 25 2015, 02:32 PM) *
UK SINGLES
8 A Moment Like This
10 Bleeding Love
9.5 Better In Time
8.5 Footprints in the Sand
6 Forgive Me
10 Run
11 Happy
7 I Got You
9 Collide
8.5 Trouble
7 Lovebird
10 One More Sleep
7.5 Fire Under My Feet
8 I Am
9.5 I Will Be
9 Hurt
8 I See You
9 Thunder

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:35 AM