BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
22 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> 2022 Tennis Thread, Roger Federer to retire after Laver Cup
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Mack.
post 1st January 2022, 07:31 PM
Post #1
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

ATP:

1. Novak Djokovic (Serbia)
2. Daniil Medvedev (Russia)
3. Alexander Zverev (Germany}
4. Stefanos Tsitsipas (Greece)
5. Andrey Rublev (Russia)
6. Rafael Nadal (Spain)
7. Matteo Berrettini (Italy)
8. Casper Ruud (Norway)
9. Hubert Harkez (Poland)
10. Jannik Sinner (Italy)
11. Felix Auger-Aliassime (Canada)
12. Cameron Norrie (Great Britain)
13. Diego Schwartzman (Argentina)
14. Denis Shapovalov (Canada)
15. Dominic Thiem (Austria)
16. Roger Federer (Switzerland)
17. Cristian Garin (Chile)
18. Aslan Karatsev (Russia)
19. Roberto Bautista Agut (Spain)
20. Pablo Carreno Busta (Spain)

Brits In The Top 200:

25. Dan Evans
121. Kyle Edmund
128. Liam Broady
134. Andy Murray

WTA

1. Ashleigh Barty (Australia)
2. Aryna Sabalenka (Belarus)
3. Garbine Muguruza (Spain)
4. Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic)
5. Barbora Krejcikova (Czech Republic)
6. Maria Sakkari (Greece)
7. Anett Kontaveit (Estonia)
8. Paula Badosa (Spain)
9. Iga Swiatek (Poland)
10. Ons Jabeur (Tunisia)
11. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (Russia)
12. Sofia Kenin (USA)
13. Naomi Osaka (Japan)
14. Elena Rybakina (Kazakhstan)
15. Elina Svitolina (Ukraine)
16. Angelique Kerber (Germany)
17. Petra Kvitova (Czech Republic)
18. Jessica Pegula (USA)
19. Emma Raducanu (Great Britain)
20. Simona Halep (Romania)

Brits In The Top 200:

72. Heather Watson
123. Harriet Dart
149. Katie Boulter
151. Francesca Jones

I wonder how different the rankings will look at the end of the year.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 4th January 2022, 01:23 PM
Post #2
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

Djokovic is somehow magically medically exempt for the Australian Open!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 4th January 2022, 05:33 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Certainly very interesting - if he genuinely does have a medical condition (they seem to be going on about how difficult it is to gain an exemption) then that's reasonable, but if they've just let him in because he's one of the biggest names then it feels unfair for all the other players who have made an effort to get the vaccine so that the chance of the virus spreading is as slim as possible during the Open.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 4th January 2022, 09:00 PM
Post #4
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(PeteOnEarth @ Jan 4 2022, 05:33 PM) *
Certainly very interesting - if he genuinely does have a medical condition (they seem to be going on about how difficult it is to gain an exemption) then that's reasonable, but if they've just let him in because he's one of the biggest names then it feels unfair for all the other players who have made an effort to get the vaccine so that the chance of the virus spreading is as slim as possible during the Open.

There is no chance on earth he has a medical condition. Money talks, fingers crossed he gets booed.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 4th January 2022, 10:04 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

Absolutely crazy, I had this notion that the AU authorities were super strict, looks like $$$ can buy anything sadly :/

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 5th January 2022, 09:58 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

QUOTE(Bjork @ Jan 4 2022, 10:04 PM) *
Absolutely crazy, I had this notion that the AU authorities were super strict, looks like $$$ can buy anything sadly :/

Like I said in last year's thread, they're only strict to their own citizens and have zero backbone when it comes to celebrities etc.

But respect to Djokovic imo, if he actually gets booed it just shows how brainwashed people have become into thinking people who refuse the vaccine are bad. None of us know if he has a genuine medical exemption (why should that be aired in public like dirty laundry anyway) and even if he doesn't all he's done is said he won't play if Aus don't change their rules. Any anger is being directed at the wrong person once again.

This post has been edited by Dobbo.: 5th January 2022, 10:01 AM

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 5th January 2022, 05:16 PM
Post #7
Group icon

The story continues - the Australian PM has now said that Djokovic can't give sufficient evidence for his exemption, he'll be "on the next plane home"!

Hope this can all get sorted out one way or another.

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 5th January 2022, 05:31 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

He’s been denied entry because of an error in his visa application. laugh.gif

Apparently other people in the same situation have been sent back to their home country. If that happens and he returns with the correct visa then would the 14 day quarantine mean he’d miss the start of the tournament and be unable to play?

+Quote this post
Silas
post 5th January 2022, 07:21 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

Yeah if Australia deport you they tend to automatically tag a 3 year entry ban onto your visa 😬

Absolutely cackling at all of this. I don’t buy the medical exemption for a second because a) he’s an elite sportsman so it’s hardly gonna be a cardiac issue (one of the main exemption reasons), b) he’s Serbian and I have Serbian friends and yeah I wouldn’t trust any medical info he got from Serbia (€€€ bribery is a way of life), and c) because he is an outspoken anti-vaxxer and his Mrs has posted 5g bullshit and antivax shite.

He’d deservedly get booed by the crowd coz he’s a bellend and I’m not surprised that the Aussie public are furious. ScoMo is not having a great time of it right now to the point that deporting a high profile antivaxxer would do wonders for his polling

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 5th January 2022, 09:38 PM
Post #10
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

Oh my God it happened rotf.gif

+Quote this post
Silas
post 5th January 2022, 10:13 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Queen of Soon

Honestly just cackled so loud I think I just violated Ruhezeit laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 5th January 2022, 11:45 PM
Post #12
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Oh that is absolutely brilliant. Didn't he end up causing a superspreading event back in 2020 and then whacking that line judge in the throat in one of his tempers?

I expect he'll return in a few days claiming to be pregnant and/or receiving end of life care. MELT.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 6th January 2022, 12:01 AM
Post #13
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Happy days he’s being treated like a normal person 😬

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 6th January 2022, 02:55 AM
Post #14
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Jan 6 2022, 12:45 AM) *
Oh that is absolutely brilliant. Didn't he end up causing a superspreading event back in 2020 and then whacking that line judge in the throat in one of his tempers?

I expect he'll return in a few days claiming to be pregnant and/or receiving end of life care. MELT.

Yes he did, and was disqualified from the US Open for that incident with the line judge. It was the Adria Tour that superspreading event.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 6th January 2022, 08:19 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

His lawyers are now involved so not sure how it will end, for what I understand he hasn't been sent back directly yet but is in a hotel in the city

Really wrong, cos for instance I have a friend living in Perth, and was not allowed to go to a funeral of a close friend cos she was between vaccine dose 1 and 2

+Quote this post
Silas
post 6th January 2022, 10:06 AM
Post #16
Group icon
Queen of Soon

I dont think his lawyers will have much success. The Aussies are very black and white when it comes to immigration law. If he has the wrong visa he is going home. You cannot apply on shore for almost all of the visas for Australia and once it’s cancelled you have to prove the Aussies were wrong to do so, and they will have been over this with a microscope. Their courts will back them to the hilt too, like the stuff they do with immigrants and asylum seekers is wet dream material for Patel and it’s all legal under Australian law.

Id say there’s a 97% chance he is deported.

I am also living for Nadals comments on the bbc along the lines of „well he should have got vaccinated“ 🤷🏼‍♂️

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 6th January 2022, 05:22 PM
Post #17
Group icon

I don't think it would be fair to let him in sadly - the country has had strict rules re vaccines for a long time, and making an exception for Novak feels unjust for the people who have had to miss significant family events because of not being vaccinated etc.

They absolutely shouldn't be keeping him in bad conditions in a refugee detention hotel, but that's more because they shouldn't be keeping anyone there rather than because he's famous.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 6th January 2022, 05:40 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Queen of Soon

I had a laugh earlier when his family complained he was being kept prisoner (he is. He’s literally in immigration prison for breaking immigration law. Would love to see his parents views on the Syrians trapped along Serbias borders)

And honestly Pete, a hotel is about a billion times nicer then their usual accommodation. If you’re lucky you get a multiple occupancy jail cell. If not you get a tent in the jungle on some godforesaken little island

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 7th January 2022, 09:14 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

I'm still not sure where I stand on the whole matter. If he fudged his visa to try and bypass border control thinking nothing would happen then yeah that's on him but given he was granted 2 independent exemptions before he arrived I really think the only reason the authorities did a u-turn was purely because of the public backlash (and political pressure due to the upcoming election). If so, shame on them.

It's very easy to pile in on Djokovic because of questionable stuff he's done before but I disagree with the opinion going around that he thinks he's above the law. He clearly was told he could play but Australia obviously didn't expect such huge uproar (despite this scenario being very clear it was gonna happen long before it did). If I were him I'd just get the f*** out of there and never go back.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 7th January 2022, 05:50 PM
Post #20
Group icon

Czech doubles player Renata Voracova is confirmed to be in the same detention as Djokovic, after having the same medical exemption (she's recently recovered from COVID). This all feels like it's getting very out of hand for a sports competition, here's hoping a decision is made soon.

+Quote this post

22 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
This thread is locked.Create a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 08:04 PM