BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Isle of Dogs, from Wes Anderson
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Josh!
post Sep 23 2017, 12:26 AM
Post #1
c:
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,692

Directed by Wes Anderson (director of Fantastic Mr. Fox & Grand Budapest Hotel).

Looks a bit too weird for me but this trailer has certainly piqued my interest. It looks very... unique laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Mar 22 2018, 09:08 PM
Post #2
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

This is released tomorrow in the US and next week in the UK so bump magic.gif (Had to check there was a thread for this)

I absolutely love Wes Anderson, I get that he's an acquired taste but still, I really loved his take on Fantastic Mr Fox and this looks similarly great.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Apr 9 2018, 05:50 PM
Post #3
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

This was wonderful as expected heart.gif Had all the Anderson hallmarks and still felt as fresh and deadpan as ever. Had a lot of similarities to Fantastic Mr Fox, just in the sense that it wasn't laugh out loud funny, but it was refreshingly deadpan and the palette, animation and story were absolutely amazing, I'm more of a cat person, but that didn't actually affect my enjoyment at all. There were a lot of children in my screening and I was kinda surprised - it's certainly got some hefty themes (political corruption, assassination, dismembering animals, mass genocide etc.) and mature dialogue, didn't seem the most kid-friendly despite the animation!

I do somewhat understand the cultural appropriation claims (and particularly those of the white saviour) but I think other films have been much worse and the decision that have it largely without subtitles was a good one, it's clearly making an effort to engage with it's setting which I thought it did very well.

+Quote Post
post Apr 10 2018, 09:07 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 19,931

I saw this a couple of months back at a press screening but I just wanted to add that I also loved this. So, so charming. I know it was quite short as it was but I think it could have been 5 - 10 minutes shorter for what it was, for a slightly slicker experience but that’s my only minor gripe.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:20 PM