BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> China's Enslavement of the Uighurs
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Brett-Butler
post Dec 15 2020, 05:39 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455
I've been reading about China's enslavement of millions of Muslim minority Uighurs in "re-education camps" in Xinjiang for a few years now, and have been surprised how rarely this shocking story has pierced the mainstream consciousness. Thankfully this week the BBC have highlighted this horrific story on its homepage, where they are forced to pick cotton, which ends up in the supply chain of clothes that make their way to our shores. Here's a few horrifying extracts from the story -

China is forcing hundreds of thousands of Uighurs and other minorities into hard, manual labour in the vast cotton fields of its western region of Xinjiang, according to new research seen by the BBC.

Based on newly discovered online documents, it provides the first clear picture of the potential scale of forced labour in the picking of a crop that accounts for a fifth of the world’s cotton supply and is used widely throughout the global fashion industry...

Alongside a large network of detention camps, in which more than a million are thought to have been detained, allegations that minority groups are being coerced into working in textile factories have already been well documented.

The Chinese government denies the claims, insisting that the camps are “vocational training schools” and the factories are part of a massive, and voluntary, “poverty alleviation” scheme.

But the new evidence suggests that upwards of half a million minority workers a year are also being marshalled into seasonal cotton picking under conditions that again appear to raise a high risk of coercion.

“In my view the implications are truly on a historical scale,” Dr Adrian Zenz, a senior fellow at the Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation in Washington who uncovered the documents, told the BBC.

The BBC approached 30 major international brands. Three – Marks and Spencer, Next, and Tesco – told us they have policies in place that ensure products sourced from China do not use raw cotton from Xinjiang. Burberry said they do not use any cotton from China at all. Others, including those who don't source direct from Xinjiang, were unable to guarantee its cotton didn't enter supply chains elsewhere. Nine companies gave no response.

Read the whole story, (as well as this chilling New York Times story from last year), and be amazed that slavery & internment on this scale can happen in 2020.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Dec 15 2020, 06:58 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
There have been plenty of stories of Chinese brutality over they years. It's hard not to conclude that the main reason this rarely makes the news is that the victims are Muslims.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Dec 16 2020, 11:31 AM
Post #3
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
Before I cancelled my licence, C4 News were covering this extensively. I agree that it is very shocking and saddening to see - but am less surprised that it doesn't pierce mainstream consciousness, after all the news is conveniently picked to deliberately write a narrative that is in the interest of the mainstream media. As Simon says above, oppressed Muslims does not serve that narrative IMO.

+Quote this post
Silas
post Dec 16 2020, 12:54 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
I think there has been a lot of coverage of this on the BBC, I’ve read for what feels like years about the „education“ camps they involuntarily detain people in.

What’s shocking is how China is getting away with this large scale abhorrent destruction of human rights, all because they are a super power and the worlds factory?! Am sorry but no. The world needs to stand up to the authoritarian Chinese regime and start putting sanctions with teeth in place. Wholesale boycott and blockade of the country.

Honestly if this was a Muslim majority country the f***ing yanks and their braindead trusty British lapdogs would have invaded them by now

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:33 AM